Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
So it is Homecoming Week at the High School where I work. Everyday during the week there is a theme. Today was jersey day. Not being much of a sports fan, and certainly never wanting to wear a football jersey when I was obese and end up looking bigger than the players, I really had nothing to wear. I dug around in my daughter's dresser and found a jersey she didn't take to college ~ of course being the geeks we are the team I was supporting was Grfyindor at Hogwarts (She got it at Hot Topic many years ago!) So I wore it. Just another small victory in a long life ~ I could wear my daughter's jersey from Hot Topic, I could wear something for every one of the days themes, I could dress up without feeling like an oversized clown .... it's just so much easier with my sleeve

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
So it is Homecoming Week at the High School where I work. Everyday during the week there is a theme. Today was jersey day. Not being much of a sports fan, and certainly never wanting to wear a football jersey when I was obese and end up looking bigger than the players, I really had nothing to wear. I dug around in my daughter's dresser and found a jersey she didn't take to college ~ of course being the geeks we are the team I was supporting was Grfyindor at Hogwarts (She got it at Hot Topic many years ago!) So I wore it. Just another small victory in a long life ~ I could wear my daughter's jersey from Hot Topic, I could wear something for every one of the days themes, I could dress up without feeling like an oversized clown .... it's just so much easier with my sleeve
Great job!!!
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #93
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Yay Jesse, I know exactly how you feel on this. I haven't worn a costume yet, but I would, and that in itself is a victory. Way to go!!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
Hey Ladies. I am 2 yrs out in Nov and I have regained 18lbs from my lowest weight. So Today was my first day on the 5 day pouch test. It amazes me that for 10 days pre-op I had nothing but shakes and broth and even quit smoking at the same time . Well today was really hard. Yes ,the habits need to change and I will stop the junk eating. Heck I am still paying for the surgery, cause my insurance didn't cover it.
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey Joyful! Welcome! As you can see, I'm in the midst of trying to lose my regain, too. You're in the right place - we are all working hard at losing and keeping healthy wherever we are in the process. The pouch test isn't fun but it can remind you of portions and what you should and shouldn't be eating. KUTGW!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #96

I painted my guest bathroom yesterday. I had to do some demolition by taking out the wood trim on the floor. Today, my quads feel like I did about 10,000 squats. Wow, I didn't know painting was such great exercise. I guess it was the up and down and up and down and twisting every which way to get the edges. My bathroom has all kinds of weird angles because it's under the stairs.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
I was let go from my job of almost 6 years. I worked at a church and they are a negative 31K this year so far. Just great.
sorry to hear this.
Chrissykin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #98

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Hi ladies. Thank you all for your thoughts and hugs and prayers. I miss my Molly something fierce, she really was my best friend and my constant companion. It's hard coming home and knowing she won't be here to talk to me, and she was so very vocal - she talked all the time, almost always with a sock or a toy or a water bottle in her mouth. I'm having her cremated so she can come home. I couldn't bear to have her buried somewhere else and I didn't want to put her in our backyard and risk leaving her if/when we moved in the future.

I haven't run since I lost her. I ran that Monday morning she passed, something was telling me to get up out of bed and go. Every other time I'd planned to run that week I just hit snooze and rolled over. That day there was an urgency to go for some reason. Last night I had a 5k with my hubby. It turned out to actually be 2.61 miles so they shorted us half a mile. We walked most of it, he's not a runner. Overweight and a smoker to boot, but we ran a little. There were over 20,000 people there so there really was no running anyway... I brought her with me in spirit, I wore her pretty little blingy name tag around my neck. It was the Neon Splash Dash.

My older dog is doing okay, so it wasn't anything contagious at least. That makes me really believe it was something like a spider bite. Tito went through a period where he wouldn't eat his food, but he would eat snacks and anything human we dropped on the floor - so he was just grieving. He's very lonely now. As much as I miss my beautiful Molly I've decided that we need to look for a new companion for Tito. He is depressed and needs a new dog friend. So we are starting to keep our eyes out for a baby girl pittie. He's not good with adult dogs, he needs to feel confident around them and he seems to only do that with baby dogs. He was a rescue so I think there is some background there, his confidence isn't what it really should be, he's timid at times.

Anyway, I'm hanging in there. Still profoundly sad over the loss of my best friend. Eating is not consistent, I'll eat nothing one day and feel like I'm eating everything the next. And none of it has been remotely appropriate. All protein drinks some days, nothing but carbs the next. I ate cereal by the handfuls the past few days. My weight has dropped even without exercise but that's probably grief. Earlier in September my scale read 160. While Molly was sick I dropped to 151, at one point went back up to 155 and now I'm at 152. I just miss her.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Heather~ I am so sorry about your fur baby. I think that is an excellent idea for you to get another puppy not only for you but, as well as companionship for your other dog. It will help with bearing your loss. Connie

HT~ I see that our surgery date is only four days apart. Well I did the 5DPT and I lost 6lbs I carry a lot of fluid. At least I feel more in control but, Geez that was harder than I thought it would be ,It was more of not being able to chew food than actually being hungry. I think I will just have 2 shakes and one meal for this week.

230/ 123~ back 152 /120/ULTIMATE GOAL 115

Jan- 27 153
Apr~01-152 up down looking like an elevator
Apr~07-159 high pre kidney stone lithotripsy
Apr~14-152 WHEW !!!Glad to be rid of that stone~~~
Old 09-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

You know I feel so stupid that I let my self regain some weight back . Of course what did I expect eating ice cream, chips, fried chicken etc . I feel like a fool!! Of Course I said, it's such small amounts that it can't affect my weight. I feel so fat and ya'll know all the emotions that go on in the mind. I am taking steps to gain control but, I feel like I can't get passed the negativity .I never had any counseling before or after WLS and there were no support groups that I could go to so I have been going this alone. Yes I have lost most of my weight but, I am faltering and I need something to give me that sense of urgency, gumption or whatever you would chose to call it. Any suggestions would be welcome. Connie
Old 09-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Ya'll I notice that daily postings of meals are already in place. Would it be helpful to post daily exercises as well? I know it would give me more accountability. Does this sound like something that would give us more motivation?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful48 View Post
Ya'll I notice that daily postings of meals are already in place. Would it be helpful to post daily exercises as well? I know it would give me more accountability. Does this sound like something that would give us more motivation?
The other thread is for meals and activity.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

I had a pretty loose and free weekend, but I made myself log it and I made myself weigh everyday. Finding a good balance for maintaining is a challenge. I feel good today, back on track and ever ever mindful of what can happen if I turn my back on the beast.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Heather~ Thanks for the info. know what your going through is tough but, take care of yourself dearie .

I can manage the eating part mostly now it's just getting off my arse that is the hardest part for me. Is it me or have you gals noticed that you get cold quicker? It's 78 on my porch and I am freaking freezing.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Heather~ Thanks for the info. know what your going through is tough but, take care of yourself dearie .

I can manage the eating part mostly now it's just getting off my arse that is the hardest part for me. Is it me or have you gals noticed that you get cold quicker? It's 78 on my porch and I am freaking freezing.
Oh yeah ~ I sometimes used my heated mattress pad this SUMMER . Friday I was at a HS football game, and yes it did drop down into the 50s when the sun set. I was wearing jeans, a polo shirt, a lightweight sweater, a 3/4 length wool dress coat, leather boots, gloves, a scarf and I was still a bit cold. My husband was wearing jeans, tennis shoes a polo shirt and a fleece pullover. Scared too think about the late October games. I'll need blankets or heaven forbid, a SNUGGIE!
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #106

Quote:

Below 85 and I start to get chilly. For reals.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Below 85 and I start to get chilly. For reals.
I have used my electric blanket all summer

I am already running the heat in my car in the morning and evenings.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm often cold when others aren't. I keep jackets and sweaters with me at all times.

Weight today: 199.4, heading down...
Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Go Go Go HT headed in the right direction
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
I have used my electric blanket all summer

I am already running the heat in my car in the morning and evenings.
I never stopped. Even in the 110 degree temps I never dropped it below 85. My family seriously dislikes riding with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I'm often cold when others aren't. I keep jackets and sweaters with me at all times.

Weight today: 199.4, heading down...
Old 09-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #111

I cried myself to sleep last night. I was on the couch and noticed a collection of black dog hairs on my shorts and remembered that Molly loved to lay on the back of the couch like she was a teeny dog (ha!) when I was sitting there. I broke down. Then I found the cat sitting on my collection of Molly things on the kitchen counter and broke down more. I think I fell asleep at about 130-2am. Which means I overslept this morning and woke up at 7am, when my son had to BE at school for band at 7am. I rushed to get ready, and of course he was dragging butt assuming he wasn't going. I blew up. It wasn't pretty.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I never stopped. Even in the 110 degree temps I never dropped it below 85. My family seriously dislikes riding with me!

Mine too when we were in maui I had to have the seat Warner's on and my side of the car the temp as high as it would go. My hubby thought I was nuts since it was 90 degrees there.

Quote:
I cried myself to sleep last night. I was on the couch and noticed a collection of black dog hairs on my shorts and remembered that Molly loved to lay on the back of the couch like she was a teeny dog (ha!) when I was sitting there. I broke down. Then I found the cat sitting on my collection of Molly things on the kitchen counter and broke down more. I think I fell asleep at about 130-2am. Which means I overslept this morning and woke up at 7am, when my son had to BE at school for band at 7am. I rushed to get ready, and of course he was dragging butt assuming he wasn't going. I blew up. It wasn't pretty.
Your grieving give yourself some time.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #113

Quote:
Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #114

Ugggg, just took a shower and noticed a rash/hives all over my upper body, arms, chest, back, neck. It's itchy and I noticed it a little the other day but today it's red and unhappy. Maybe stress???? The only thing I can think that is different is a new probiotic I started taking this past week. I doubt that could do it.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Ugggg, just took a shower and noticed a rash/hives all over my upper body, arms, chest, back, neck. It's itchy and I noticed it a little the other day but today it's red and unhappy. Maybe stress???? The only thing I can think that is different is a new probiotic I started taking this past week. I doubt that could do it.
Could be stress.

Probiotics can cause fungal infections in immunocompromised persons. They can also cause a slight (or worse) allergic reaction. Or it could be a histamine response to unknown ingredients. What's your probiotic dosage and inert ingredients?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Heather, Oh boy I hate when I wake up late, It throws me out of sorts the whole day.

HT~ Yeah for you!

Chewie~ Man that is really something , Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Since being cold seems to be a common thing with sleevers, so why is that ? Any one know?
Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #117

Quote:
Could be stress.

Probiotics can cause fungal infections in immunocompromised persons. They can also cause a slight (or worse) allergic reaction. Or it could be a histamine response to unknown ingredients. What's your probiotic dosage and inert ingredients?
These are Phillips pro biotic health. They contain:
Proprietary Blend: (Lactobacillus gasseri†KS-13, Bifidobacterium bifidum G9-1 and Bifidobacterium longum MM-2) 1.5 billion cells*
†Previously identified as L. acidophilus
Other Ingredients: Potato Starch, Gelatin, Silicon Dioxide.
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health

And the listed side effects include:
A very serious allergic reaction to this product is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

I guess I'm not taking them anymore and see if that helps. Assuming this is the problem, how soon can I expect the rash to subside?
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #118

I'm so itchy and red and cranky that I skipped my exercise class. I just couldn't justify getting sweaty and this rash. Sigh.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/164/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
hiya! I'm jumping on the wagon. I'm so happy to see there's an active WLS group here! I looked around the web, but didn't really find much.

After lots of online research, books, and webinars, I've made the decision to get WLS. I finally found the surgeon I want, and I've decided on RNY. Yesterday, I officially started the pre-op process. I'm trying to move quickly through the itinerary. Today is a follow up with my dietician, tomorrow is the first part of the psych eval. Next week, I do the psych eval part 2, the support group meeting, and who knows what else yet. There are a lot of appointments! I'm so anxious to get to the part where I've had the surgery and I'm losing weight. I'm not second guessing myself at all-- I'm getting excited. My biggest worry is that something will go wrong with insurance or my primary care physician input/records (she's conservative so, if her opinion is needed, I'm not sure what hoops she'll try to make me jump through) and I can't get WLS, after all. At yesterday's first pre-op appt, the surgeon said I can expect to move through this process and have the surgery within 4-to-5 weeks but, reading through the folder his office gave me, it sounds like it could take a lot longer than that because of the paperwork requirements. I'm determined to move fast and not be laid up over the holidays. We'll see.

Reading your posts is giving me a realistic view of what to expect, long term. So, thank you all =) I'm looking forward to hanging out here!

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

Last edited by Matrigna; 09-25-2013 at 08:51 AM..
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #120
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mair
I can't imagine being cold but I kind of welcome it. I hate heat so much.

I have an endoscopy next week and my last nutrition appointment on Oct 21st. So hopefully it will be soon after that.

Thank you for these threads! Reading all of your successes and struggles helps a lot.
Mair is online now   Reply With Quote