Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #151
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Horrible gut pains last night and they're still there this morning. It's probably gas pain, at least I hope it is, but it's not my usual type of gas pain. There's a little bloating, but mostly just pain. Being a stubborn nurse of course I'm waiting it out. I work in a hospital though so I'm not far from help if the need arises!

I didn't get up and run today. I contemplated not even coming to work, I wanted to stay curled up in a ball in bed this morning. But there's a new physician onboarding today and I didn't want to drop that in my new coworker's lap since she is still learning everything and I didn't want her to mistakingly teach something wrong.

I'm such a patient person, but I'm not liking sharing my space. I'm not liking relinquishing part of my workload, and I'm certainly not liking giving up being the primary physician support. I *certainly* don't like the lone wolf approach to workflow changes. It's just that she's so new and doesn't understand the process, workflow or lingo, but it still creates a mess. My mantra the past few weeks has been "Just because they don't do it like I would doesn't mean it's wrong. Just inefficient." This is a tech savvy position and they hired another not so tech savvy person. As in they can send and receive email but don't know how to use flags and calendars. They can type in a spreadsheet but don't know how to create one. That type of thing. *sigh*

Last edited by myyellowstang; 08-28-2013 at 05:50 AM..
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #152
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Hi PrettyGirl - Nice to meet you and glad you're here! Hopefully we can all help each other.

Heather - How are you feeling? You never talk about not feeling so hot - seems like that's always my job! I hope your stomach has worked things out...
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #153

Still here. Not any better but not any worse either.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #154
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PrettyGirl
Stats: 190/190/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 8/28/13
Thank you for the welcome

I think my (probably all of us) biggest challenge is finding people that understand WLS and how it works if you work it - it's not magic.

I was also one of the fortunate ones who's insurance paid for it and I had no complications and this mess I have made now is my own stupid fault.

I DO always suggest to people that are considering surgery that long term counseling is a good idea - I moved to another state shortly after my surgery so lost my support group and didn't do counseling and as we all know your mind is pretty strong machine. That single 50 minute pre-op psych evaluation just didn't cut it, lol.

Heather - I hope your tummy is better today. I have had several days in the past 9 years where protein shakes were the only thing that would work for me.

Another day down - I am having a detox massage tomorrow on my well earned vacation day - hope that helps.

I hope you all have a great day.
PrettyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #155

Join us on the other daily thread too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
Heather - I hope your tummy is better today. I have had several days in the past 9 years where protein shakes were the only thing that would work for me.
It's not really my tummy and eating isn't a problem. I mean, I have no desire to eat, but physically it's possible. It's more of a bowel pain. It's better today, but not much. I woke up and thought it was better but now that I'm moving around it's starting to hurt again. I'm chewing simethicone like candy hoping it will help. You know how your ab muscles feel after a good core workout? My BOWELS feel like that, it's the hardest thing to explain. I'm not too worried about it yet though - stubborn nurses.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #156

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Welcome Pretty Girl. This is a great group.

Heather--hope it passes.

HT--did you start school?
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #157
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PrettyGirl
Stats: 190/190/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 8/28/13
Oh boy Heather - when I had that nagging pain upon moving around it was a partial small bowel obstruction from adhesions from my tubal pregnancy surgery. It wasn't until a huge flare up - I had contraction like pains that were killer - that I sought help - I know you know your own body and nurses are stubborn but make sure you take care of yourself!
PrettyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
when I had that nagging pain upon moving around it was a partial small bowel obstruction
Bowel obstruction is on my list of concerns, but I'm holding out for something else.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #159

I seem to be having some relief, which hopefully means some sort of resolution. I've been liquids all day though. I'm staying liquids until I can get it resolved. Worse case scenario I'm that much emptier if I need to hop downstairs and hit up a surgeon's opinion... I think I'm good though.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Heather, You take care!!!! Hope you are feeling better, Welcome PrettyGirl
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #161
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Welcome Pretty Girl. This is a great group.

Heather--hope it passes.

HT--did you start school?
Chewie - I went back to school on 7/31!! Kids have been back since 8/6! Don't ask me how I did it - the first two weeks weren't easy at all... Things are finally getting back to "normal" for me in the past week...

Heather - I sure hope you're all right. I swear I had the exact type of pains you were describing a few weeks ago... I wouldn't doubt I had something else going on, too... But I'm not sure I want to know what it was/is. I just want to get back to normal. I'm sure you feel the same way about that. Here's to hoping you're on the mend.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #162

Okay. I've had myself on liquids all day, with the exception of a bit of peanut butter. Just protein and iced tea basically. It's almost 10pm and it feels like it might be resolving. It still hurts, but the pain and pressure is much much less. I'm pretty sure it was bowel. I'm going to mention it to a general surgeon friend of mine tomorrow when I get to work to check out the symptoms and see for sure. If it is/was, then it will probably recur again at some point in the future because it is probably adhesions. I've had two open and one laparoscopic abdominal surgery in the past (gallbladder, cesarean, and RNY). I'm afraid to eat in case actual food causes it to flare back up so I might keep the liquids up tomorrow too. Not really hungry so it's not gonna be hard.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #163
Blabbermouth!!!

Heather, if that is what it is what is the treatment for it? Will it go away - work itself out or? How does it just "act up" out of the blue like that? I swear, I should have gone into nursing or something medical...I'm always interested and curious - just wish I knew more. Glad things seem to be easing up.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Heather, if that is what it is what is the treatment for it? Will it go away - work itself out or? How does it just "act up" out of the blue like that? I swear, I should have gone into nursing or something medical...I'm always interested and curious - just wish I knew more. Glad things seem to be easing up.
Treatment for a partial is hospitalization, NG tube to decompress the stomach and "rest" i.e. NPO status with fluids and electrolytes via IV. If unresolved or pretty bad then surgery to relieve whatever is causing it. Treatment for a complete obstruction (it's not that, that's EXCRUCIATING pain) is surgery.

This morning is MUCH better. Still liquids, but even that seems to be tolerated better. Not ready for all the jostling around of running yet, but at least just walking around doesn't hurt like it did the past few days.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #165

Weight is still the same, which is good. That means no going back up even if it means it hasn't gone down. I haven't ran since the gut issues and I'm sure there's inflammation and fluid in there the way it's been hurting!

So we'll see, it should start to drop again over the next few days if things normalize again. I can't wait to get my new Garmin and go out on a run with it!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #166

Heather, hope you feel better soon. Do you have a 3 day weekend?
Old 08-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #167

Quote:
Heather, hope you feel better soon. Do you have a 3 day weekend?
I do, and I do. I'm a little leery about eating solid food, but today I had a bowl of chili and a bit of salad. No pain. I'm going to start running again tomorrow and see how that goes. I may also go to a Yoga thing tomorrow night.

I've had a bit of a running shopping spree lately.

$530 for a Garmin FR 610 running GPS watch, the footpod to make it treadmill compatible and some screen protectors for the face (it's touchscreen!).
$80 for new workout clothes
$40 for a Road ID
$15 for a new Spibelt and race number toggles

Now I need some new socks and shoes, but I have to let the sticker shot hit hubby before I go in for round 2.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #168

Drum roll please----new low for me, down 98 pounds.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #169
Blabbermouth!!!

Yay Chewie!!! 100 is right around the corner!!

Heather - Glad you are feeling better!!

Yesterday morning I got up and went to a popular jogging place nearby. They have a big flight of stairs, which is what I needed because my fitbit tracks miles, steps, calories burned, flights of stairs climbed, and sleep. I guess it doesn't update as quickly as it should, because I kept going until it said I did 10 (their daily goal)... Then I walked/jogged the area. Ends up I did 23 flights of stairs (I knew I had gone up and down a lot, but didn't know how many stairs/times counted as one flight...) and walked a little over 2 miles. I jogged maybe 1/5 of it. So...I got all smileys in every area for the first time yesterday. Yay me! I didn't weigh lately, but I am around 197 again. I need to remember to go for the protein stuff not the carbs, even though the carbs are so much easier, you know? Also, I've been wanting salty things lately, not "sweet" things like greek yogurt... I have to have go-to things ready when cravings or hunger hits.

How is everyone doing today??
Old 09-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #170

I ate a little more last night. Not good things, but things so that's better. By "not good" I mean cheezits, protein bars, cereal, etc. Carby things. Not wholesome protein things. But still, it's food. Now that I am pretty sure I can tolerate food I'll add some meat in today. Hubby is making fajitas so ill eat some of the chicken.

Overslept and missed my window for an early morning run. By the time I got up it was TOO hot already. It's been 102-104 lately. Today the high is *only* supposed to be 101 lol. I'll hit at least 2 miles later when the sun goes down and it's below 90.

I can't wait for fall.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #171

Quote:
Drum roll please----new low for me, down 98 pounds.
It's right around the corner!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #172
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Leslie-San
WOE: WLS
Way to go, Chewbeast!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg snoopy.jpg (9.3 KB, 25 views)
Leslie-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #173

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Yay, Chewie!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #174

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK