Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-surgery/)
-   -   WLS and LC Friendly Eats (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-surgery/807376-wls-lc-friendly-eats.html)

Maryposa 07-03-2013 11:06 PM

WLS and LC Friendly Eats

I was asked to lunch tomorrow by someone who doesn't know I had WLS... it got me thinking about the places we can go and I can get something which doesn't leave 75% of my plate untouched. Here is what I have done before:

Chick-Fil-A grilled chicken nugget kids meal with fruit cup, diet lemonade and ranch

In-N-Out cheeseburger protein style and light lemonade

Carl's Jr. BBQ Chicken Club, lettuce wrapped (can't quite finish this one) and minute maid light

Togo's half chicken salad and diet snapple

McDonald's sugar free vanilla iced coffee and a sausage patty with cheese (breakfast)

Jesse 07-04-2013 05:43 AM

I'm a big fan of saying, not much of an appetite today, I think I'll have some soup. :)

Maryposa 07-04-2013 09:25 AM

Jesse I used to do that in my first couple of years too :) These days soups are usually too high carb for me, since I can eat more, I had to start watching my carbs more again.

Hot Tamale 07-05-2013 06:09 AM

All of your choices sounds good to me. I never order fries and usually (if there is a bun) try to only eat half (or less) of the bun... I don't go to fast food places too often anymore, so the occasional partial indulgence doesn't gnaw at my conscience too much... That said, I'm going for Indian food today!! I will have some naan and a TBS or two of rice. Other than that, its all chicken tikka baby!!! I LOVE Indian food!

myyellowstang 07-05-2013 03:53 PM

I like the CFA grilled 4 count and a small fruit cup. If I get the 6 I usually have "leftovers" so the 4 is perfect!

I don't eat at other fast food places but if I need to every one of them pretty much has a grilled chicken salad. I'll get lemon wedges or a lemon juice packet if they have it and use that on the chicken. I don't eat the lettuce usually, but I'll eat the tomatoes and cukes and stuff.

Panera has a secret menu that has some good options, and there's always the soup and cammy combo. I like the black bean and I just eat the guts of the sammy.

Chilis (well, and I guess Wendy's although I haven't eaten there in a LONG time) I really like their chili, with jalapenos, onions, a side of avocado and hold the cheese. A side salad if I'm "hungry".

Anyplace mexican I get the fajitas and just eat the meat and veggies. TRY to stay away from the chips, but places like this will usually give you too much food and you'll have leftovers. I'll split with someone if I can, if not I just either take the food home or I'll just get a bowl of borracho (or charro) beans.

Hot Tamale 07-05-2013 05:34 PM

I'm going to threadjack here - kinda - and ask how much can (any of) you actually eat? Heather said 6 nuggets is too much... Can any of you give me an idea of the size of a meal for you?

myyellowstang 07-05-2013 10:18 PM

It really depends on what the meal is. Foods with high water content (raw veggies) I can eat more of. Dense protein - not so much at all. 2-3 oz at most. And only that. If I'm adding veggies it's about 1 1/2 oz of protein instead.

Hot Tamale 07-06-2013 12:16 AM

Dang...I think either I stretched things or I really need to get myself a food scale and use the darn thing. I'm not pigging out, but I'm fairly certain I can eat double that. O,O

myyellowstang 07-06-2013 12:54 PM

Everyone is different, and every surgeon made us different. I've used a food scale since day one so it could just be that I've trained my body that that much is enough and I recognize the signals at right around that point. I would recommend a food scale anyway for tracking purposes. You don't know what to do to get the weight back off if you can't accurately say how much is going into your body.

Hot Tamale 07-06-2013 01:15 PM

You're right. I used to just put everything in a measuring cup - one cup of food was it. period. Maybe going back to that until I actually get a scale will be a start.