Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
July Wagon! Hop on!!!

Half the year is gone - how's it going on the goals?

And what are our new intentions/goals for July?
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
My first goal is to continue with careful eating and getting back to exercising as soon as I can. Imagine my frustration when the doc said I could be swollen for 4 to 6 months (from the liposuction above my bellybutton)! I'm like WHAT!!!!

I need to go back and see my goals for certain weights... Due to fluid retention, I doubt I will get to 189 before Thursday, but I fully intend to not give up and not cave... I hope to go for a careful walk this coming weekend, and ease back into my almost daily routine with working out. I am also going to add weight training and try yoga again when I feel ready for it.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 07-02-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOE: VSG 10/2011 85 lbs. lost
She's here! Janessa Pearl born June 29, 8 lb 6 oz, 21.5 in long. The birth went just how I wanted and we are both doing great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (4).jpg (28.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg profile pic janessa.jpg (34.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg photo (5).jpg (27.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Healthy and Happy; 07-02-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Healthy and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh My Gosh!!! Beautiful! Both of you!!! Congrats!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #5

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
H&H Thanks so much for sharing! Yay! As always, you DO look H&H!!!
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy and Happy View Post
She's here! Janessa Pearl born June 29, 8 lb 6 oz, 21.5 in long. The birth went just how I wanted and we are both doing great.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Wonderful news!
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

back from Italy...

My long anticipated trip was even better than I ever imagined ~ what an experience. I walked and walked and walked and even hiked a mountain trail from one village to another in the Cinque Terras region We postponed this trip last year so I could have surgery and it was SO the right decision. I was brought close to tears several times as I reflected on what I was doing vs. what I would have been able to do a year ago. Even little things like only bringing a carry -on, I could fit so many more size 10 and 12 vs. size 24 clothes, and it goes without saying they were much cuter I woke up every morning full of energy for the day's adventure. I was a little sore after the mountain hike, but then I noticed so was everyone else who went on it! It was so cool to be "normal". I drank a lot of wine and ate a lot of gelato, but no weight gain (from all the walking I'm sure). I probably never hit my protein goal on any day, but I'm back to tracking, and choosing well. And thank heavens there isn't a gelato shop every block here! So now that my vacation is done I have to think about my goals for the summer. Some more thought required about exercise, I'm pretty sure I know about the food ~ back to daily tracking, 850 - 950 calories, at least 70 grams protein, was working and is what I will return to. Still thinking about a goal weight. Maybe 150? First goal get to 160 and then assess from there.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #9

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
chewiegand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #10

Ooh... just found out that heart rate monitors are FSA eligible. Hello $400 dream Garmin GPS HRM.

Since I got $1200 in there to spend by the end of the year anyway...
Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Let Freedom Ring!

I'm sitting here in one of my many cute sundresses thinking about the day ahead. I'm going to a parade to watch my son march with his truly outstanding high school band. (they really are pretty good, they've marched in the Rose Bowl , and GB's inauguration and have had multiple invitations to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade which the director turns down because he doesn't want to take the kids from their families over the holiday). Looks to be a great day, low 80s, low humidity. On this day of freedom, here are the worries I am now free of: How far away will we have to park? (doesn't matter, I can walk and walk ) What will I wear?(hmmm virtually unlimited choices now) what snacks are we bringing? (No big deal, I can throw a protein bar in my purse if needed), Will my lawn chair bend or break? (no longer a concern), will dh insist on taking pictures (kind of like having my pic taken now ) Are my kids embarrassed when their friends see me? (I probably still embarrass them, but not because of my size). All these worries for ONE 2-3 hour activity! Once again I celebrate my liberation from fat prison and say I love my sleeve What freedoms can you celebrate this fine 4th of July?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I'm sitting here in one of my many cute sundresses thinking about the day ahead. I'm going to a parade to watch my son march with his truly outstanding high school band. (they really are pretty good, they've marched in the Rose Bowl , and GB's inauguration and have had multiple invitations to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade which the director turns down because he doesn't want to take the kids from their families over the holiday). Looks to be a great day, low 80s, low humidity. On this day of freedom, here are the worries I am now free of: How far away will we have to park? (doesn't matter, I can walk and walk ) What will I wear?(hmmm virtually unlimited choices now) what snacks are we bringing? (No big deal, I can throw a protein bar in my purse if needed), Will my lawn chair bend or break? (no longer a concern), will dh insist on taking pictures (kind of like having my pic taken now ) Are my kids embarrassed when their friends see me? (I probably still embarrass them, but not because of my size). All these worries for ONE 2-3 hour activity! Once again I celebrate my liberation from fat prison and say I love my sleeve What freedoms can you celebrate this fine 4th of July?
Happy Fourth everyone!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Jesse - Tons of NSV's. Sooooo worth it, wasn't it?

4 years ago tonight I went to see fireworks with my family. I had been having what I thought were anxiety attacks - my heart would race and I would feel faint. I was also about 350 pounds at that time. I had a ton (almost literally) of excuses. I went to park the car, telling them I'd walk over once I found a spot. When I got out to walk the maybe 1/8 of a mile I found that I was totally out of breath. I leaned against a car until my breathing returned to "normal." I then slowly walked back to the car - seeing some stars before my eyes as I did it. The next day I decided I needed to go to the ER; something must be wrong. I almost passed out in the shower getting ready. Then, I fell asleep. My husband knocked on the door an hour or two later and asked if I was all right and was I still going to go. I said I didn't want to go, but I would (it was a Sunday, and I knew if I didn't go then he would have to go to work the next day and I wouldn't have anyone to watch my kids). I drove to the ER and slowly walked in - stopping two or three times along the short walk...

I had a blood clot behind my left knee that had broken loose/apart and was now surrounding my heart. It was a miracle I was still alive. The doctor said if I had waited and gone to sleep instead of coming when I did I would almost certainly have died. I was 41. I spent 3 days in ICU - not allowed to get out of bed. My kids had to kneel in the bottom of a floor to ceiling window and wave at me. I then spent about 5 more days in a regular room while they adjusted my medications.

I spent the next year losing and gaining the same 20 pounds. Then, in Nov 2010, I had gastric bypass surgery. Thank God I had the second chance. Thank God.

So, today is always a special day for me. And now...I have officially declared my independence from all of that. The medical issues, the embarrassment, the uncomfortable misery of being so overweight. Happy 4th, Everyone!!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
My baby boy (who is taller than me now) starts HS in the fall. He marched in his first parade this morning. He's so great. I was the proud mama taking tons of pictures with the fancy DSLR camera I bought him (for a STEAL!) for his HS electives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post

4 years ago tonight I went to see fireworks with my family. I had been having what I thought were anxiety attacks - my heart would race and I would feel faint. I was also about 350 pounds at that time. I had a ton (almost literally) of excuses. I went to park the car, telling them I'd walk over once I found a spot. When I got out to walk the maybe 1/8 of a mile I found that I was totally out of breath. I leaned against a car until my breathing returned to "normal." I then slowly walked back to the car - seeing some stars before my eyes as I did it. The next day I decided I needed to go to the ER; something must be wrong. I almost passed out in the shower getting ready. Then, I fell asleep. My husband knocked on the door an hour or two later and asked if I was all right and was I still going to go. I said I didn't want to go, but I would (it was a Sunday, and I knew if I didn't go then he would have to go to work the next day and I wouldn't have anyone to watch my kids). I drove to the ER and slowly walked in - stopping two or three times along the short walk...

I had a blood clot behind my left knee that had broken loose/apart and was now surrounding my heart. It was a miracle I was still alive. The doctor said if I had waited and gone to sleep instead of coming when I did I would almost certainly have died. I was 41. I spent 3 days in ICU - not allowed to get out of bed. My kids had to kneel in the bottom of a floor to ceiling window and wave at me. I then spent about 5 more days in a regular room while they adjusted my medications.

I spent the next year losing and gaining the same 20 pounds. Then, in Nov 2010, I had gastric bypass surgery. Thank God I had the second chance. Thank God.

So, today is always a special day for me. And now...I have officially declared my independence from all of that. The medical issues, the embarrassment, the uncomfortable misery of being so overweight. Happy 4th, Everyone!!
I love both of your posts. I love them. You gave me chills with your second chance at life. You are an awesome person and one lucky lady.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Thank Heavens you are here to share this triumph !!!! This really puts it all into perspective ~ WLS isn't about being thin or a particular size (although that stuff can be fun too) ~ it's about getting your life back (or in your case keeping your life!). I remember my surgeon reassuring my dh about my choice to proceed with surgery. He told him she is probably adding 15 years to her life. However many years are allotted to me, well I wasn't using them the best I could. Everything has changed, no matter how hard it might be somedays it is way easier than before.

Last edited by Jesse; 07-04-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Old 07-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks you two. I always say I didn't just get my life back, I got a whole new life - one so much better than before! I firmly believe I would not be here today if I hadn't lost the weight. As in I would be dead. It isn't easy but it is worth every ounce of work we put into it!!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

I originally filled this post with a handful of things that are bugging me right now. Then I thought about it and realized I just need to focus on the good stuff... and I need to not stay up so late and then get all bummed out about stuff.

Happy Saturday People!!!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 07-06-2013 at 12:26 AM..
Old 07-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Dang it! Need to stay out of the stores

Sort of mad, but mostly happy! I just had a talk with myself earlier this week that I didn't need to buy anymore clothes until August, when school started because by then, I expect some things will be too big. But my daughter needed new bras, and I needed new underwear (yes, I was still wearing my size 24 briefs! ) and they were having a clearance and I had a 20% off coupon at Penny's. If we had stayed in the lingerie department.... but anyhow we ended up in the clearance racks looking at dresses and pants and jewelry and the bargains were INCREDIBLE paid 15.00 for a dress for my daughter that had started at $110.00 tons of earrings for less than $2.00 after all the discounting, but biggest news is I really am moving into size 10 and really leaving size 14 behind. So I needed those new size 10 capris, right? My 14s (even taken in once already) are just too big. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

I ran into that same sale yesterday! I sure didn't need 4 new sweaters!! However, when 2 of them were $5.25 each and the other 2 were $3.75 each...well, you can't say no to that! Part of losing this weight, I think, almost entitles us to stuff like this! Don't beat yourself up over it!

PS: Feel free to send me all of those size 14's!!! LOL
Old 07-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #20

Oh snap. I have that coupon and its good through tomorrow lol.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Feeling very grateful and happy these days ~ I love being able to keep up with everyone else this summer (last summer recovering from surgery, summers before obese for many of them). I've replaced being entertained by food with being entertained by doing things (while wearing really fabulous clothes ) Happy.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mair
Gosh I love reading about all ya'lls progress. I pray that will be me next year too!
Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mair View Post
Gosh I love reading about all ya'lls progress. I pray that will be me next year too!
Where are you in the process? I hope you will find the same freedom too! I made every effort to live a good life and not let my weight hold me back ~ and I did have a good life!~ but I had no idea the ways the sheer physical difficulty of the weight was holding me back ~ not to mention the emotional toll. My good life got even better. I hope this will be your experience soon.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Hi. Welcome. I was just going through the process last summer too. I had vsg on Dec 3, 2012. Good luck and hang in there, it does eventually happen but I know you probably just want it done already.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Mair - I followed this thread for many months before I had surgery. The information is really helpful and learning about what to expect and the problems we encounter afterwards are pretty priceless. I owe a lot of my success to people like Maryposa, myyellowstang, and a little Monkee who needs to post if she's around!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah, I come in and read often. I am just getting my preliminary stuff done, (sleep study, psych, nutrition, upper GI). Don't have a date or anything yet but hoping for the next few months.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Yeah, I come in and read often. I am just getting my preliminary stuff done, (sleep study, psych, nutrition, upper GI). Don't have a date or anything yet but hoping for the next few months.
Good luck, my stupid insurance delayed my wls and it didn't happen for 6 months. Are you covered by ins or self pay? What type of surgery are you considering?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

I have insurance. I am considering the Sleeve. My husband had it done May 2012. He did really well for awhile but not so much lately. All he seems to want is sweets. In his defense he does have to take an antibiotic right now that has really messed with his mojo.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #29

Quote:
a little Monkee who needs to post if she's around!!!
Yes, she does!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Good luck, my stupid insurance delayed my wls and it didn't happen for 6 months. Are you covered by ins or self pay? What type of surgery are you considering?
My employer delayed mine for about 6 months. I worked in the OR and timing just wasn't good until after the holidays. Mine wasn't until end of March and I was approved in October.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #30

My (probably - date is still TBD) December run. How much fun does this look!!!!!!?????!!!!!

Dallasites... anyone else want to join?