LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
When I need to reheat meats like that I slice it up, cover the whole thing with a wet paper towel (to "steam" it and keep it moist) and microwave.
Good tip. It was fillet mignon so I was sure it would be moist enough, but ummm no.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #92
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Leslie-San
WOE: WLS
I try to avoid nuking meat leftovers just for that reason. Every Cmas dinner, I make a standing rib roast and we always have leftovers. We freeze them individually wrapped. Then when I want to cook them..., I bring them out to thaw (if possible) then in the meantime, I heat up some beef broth/stock, enough to go up the side of the meat half way, to a boil. Then I drop in the meat and just let it sit in the hot stock on an extremely low temp.

If the meat is thawed, just put it int he stock and turn off the pan and cover it. Check it after five minutes or so and then turn it over. The meat should be as close to room temp as possible.

A quick way to thaw is to put meat (or anything) into a zip lock bag, and fill a bowl to fit the meat with as much COLD water as possible. After about thirty minutes or so, it's thawed.

RNY - 3/4/04 270 ~ 160 (3/4/06)

Revision - 6/23/12 ... 243/191.5/160

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wybPnHy/weight.png
Leslie-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #93
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie-San View Post
I try to avoid nuking meat leftovers just for that reason. Every Cmas dinner, I make a standing rib roast and we always have leftovers. We freeze them individually wrapped. Then when I want to cook them..., I bring them out to thaw (if possible) then in the meantime, I heat up some beef broth/stock, enough to go up the side of the meat half way, to a boil. Then I drop in the meat and just let it sit in the hot stock on an extremely low temp.

If the meat is thawed, just put it int he stock and turn off the pan and cover it. Check it after five minutes or so and then turn it over. The meat should be as close to room temp as possible.

A quick way to thaw is to put meat (or anything) into a zip lock bag, and fill a bowl to fit the meat with as much COLD water as possible. After about thirty minutes or so, it's thawed.
Not something I can do at work. Which is why the majority of my meals are cold. I don't mind cold chicken or steak, oddly enough I prefer it.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #94
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Leslie-San
WOE: WLS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nevermind.jpg (9.1 KB, 55 views)
Leslie-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #95

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Good job Heather.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #96

Quote:
I have a general overall lack of energy lately... we'll see what my blood work comes back as hopefully in the next week or so.

Probably a combination of blood work and diet. I'm not eating as "cleanly" as I would like. More highly processed foods, less whole foods than I'm used to. Probably just a vicious cycle. Yesterday my blood sugar tanked and I never really could get it up enough to where I felt better with out it dropping again. Usually about a cup of milk and a spoon of peanut butter works, I was out of milk yesterday. Eating carbs brings it up quickly, but then it tanks again when THAT wears off... Today I think if I just lay in bed or on the couch all day in one position and not moving I'd be perfectly content in that. Could be protein is down, but I eat a lot of protein. Maybe iron again - that's been an ongoing struggle.

I don't like this feeling, so I'm just going to do what I KNOW I need to do and clean up my eating. I hate feeling like this!

Today I've had 20 oz water and a mint cookie protein. I need to drink a LOT more water, it's 1:30 already.
So um yeah.

RBC - low.
Hematocrit and hemoglobin - pretty low.
Protein - borderline. At eating 120+ grams a day!
Ferritin - WAY low - 3.2, normal is 7-150
Iron - low - 29 - normal is 35-145
Iron % sat - 6.3%, the normal range is 20-50.

Hello anemia. No wonder my energy is low and my run times suck.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
wow I'm anemic, too. They gave me an iron iv in the hospital and I am to start an iron supplement soon. I've been tired/etc too... At least now you know. Now you can do something about it.

I actually go back to work tomorrow. Please wish me luck. My minimum goal is to work a half day. I'm not sure if I can do a full day. I'm sore and achy and I don't even know if that is normal or okay. I'm so worried about everything - it is driving me nuts. I go to see both docs on Thursday... Man, this sucks.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #98

HT--praying for your first work day. Hope you make it.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
wow I'm anemic, too. They gave me an iron iv in the hospital and I am to start an iron supplement soon. I've been tired/etc too... At least now you know. Now you can do something about it.

I actually go back to work tomorrow. Please wish me luck. My minimum goal is to work a half day. I'm not sure if I can do a full day. I'm sore and achy and I don't even know if that is normal or okay. I'm so worried about everything - it is driving me nuts. I go to see both docs on Thursday... Man, this sucks.
I already take 130 mg elemental iron a day. He wants me to double that and redraw in 4-6 months.

Reabsorption of the blood, just keep drinkin fluids and keep moving. Nothin really special will help.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #100

I've been reading there's a strong correlation between running and anemia.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #101

Quote:
Today's accountability. Dots are weigh ins, red line is proposed progress to goal...

Down 1.6 since yesterday.
Down 2 total now.

I'm reading up on running and anemia, and it's surprising how many runners are anemic. Learn something new... so now I'm determined to figure out a way around this. I already take a ton of iron a day, so my body is just blowing through it (and the protein too btw!)...
Old 07-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #102
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I probably am, too. I just bought a cast iron frying pan...plan on making eggs and other things in it - not fried chicken (well, sometimes, but not much!).

Thanks for the well-wishes. I made it from 8:30 to 3:30, which was pretty darn close to a full day. I came home and did lay down for about 2 hours, and I won't be doing too much more tonight other than to shower and relax. I've already walked 3500 steps though - so that is my highest number in a few weeks. I need to remember to drink more. I'll get two more bottles of water in shortly.

Heather - congrats on the 2 pounds!
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I probably am, too. I just bought a cast iron frying pan...plan on making eggs and other things in it - not fried chicken (well, sometimes, but not much!).

Thanks for the well-wishes. I made it from 8:30 to 3:30, which was pretty darn close to a full day. I came home and did lay down for about 2 hours, and I won't be doing too much more tonight other than to shower and relax. I've already walked 3500 steps though - so that is my highest number in a few weeks. I need to remember to drink more. I'll get two more bottles of water in shortly.

Heather - congrats on the 2 pounds!
Great job on your walking and full work day. You really snappd back real quick.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #104

Here's the August thread!