Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #61
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Leslie-San
WOE: WLS
DON'T CANCEL!!

I was feeling really depressed, on top of my normal crap, and I had a hair appt. I wanted to cancel but I forced myself. And I felt so much better.

GO!!!

Leslie-San is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I'd say go!!! It might be just what you need! You need to treat yourself better when you don't feel so good. Take care of you!
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Thanks, friends. I guess I'll go.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #64
Big Yapper!!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #65

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
I agree, go!

Cuz if you don't you'll be upset you didn't!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #66

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Yay for mini make-overs! One of my good friends is a Make-up Artist and when she gives me goodies, a facial, does my makeup or hair, it always makes me feel fresh and new
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #67

I was feeling sorry for myself last night about a man who I thought was interested and who is still friendly but hasn't asked me to spend time with him in a long while... he's the only one I have been interested in without reservation in a loooong time so I was frustrated.... and what happened? He asked me out last night! Next week. I am going to get dolled up and find out if he is interested in me or not.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!

woooo! Makeovers for EVERYONE I say!!!! Congrats Mary!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

btw - Leslie _ I was born and raised in NE PA. I also spent years of summers at the Jersey Shore... Sounds like we have a few things in common!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

I am from Rumson. Do you know where that is?

I can't wait to move back LOL

Where did you used to vacation?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmmm - I don't know that place... I was born in Wilkes-Barre, PA. We vacationed in Wildwood, NJ...
Old 07-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #72
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh okay.

We used to vacation in Wildwood Crest.

Rumson is next to Sea Bright Beach, one that was hit really really hard. It's just a mile or so south of Sandy Hook.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #73

Dh and I took our honeymoon in Wildwood Crest a million years ago. LOL Love Wildwood==Mac's pizza---yummmmmmm
Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #74
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Dh and I took our honeymoon in Wildwood Crest a million years ago. LOL Love Wildwood==Mac's pizza---yummmmmmm
Oh we loved going to the One Mile Inn. I wonder it survived Sandy. Thank God our house (we have a teeny vacation home in Rumson) survived. Lost a bunch of stuff we had in the basement but the water came to within inches of the first floor.

We used to stay at the Sand Dune Hotel. Some dumpy place and there was a place next door that served breakfasts and had an ice cream takeaway. Oh man...great memories.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #75

Heather and other Texas folks, did you see this?

https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/w...52-dfw-tx.html
Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Heather and other Texas folks, did you see this?

https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/w...52-dfw-tx.html
Just did, thanks!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #77

Doctor's visit today. I'm opting not to see my surgeon anymore unless I need surgeon related things. I basically just need someone to manage my care and order labs. My employer has made some insurance changes and since we are a healthcare facility we get a discounted rate if we use what they call BQA providers. Basically facility associated providers that have entered into an agreement to provide care at a reduced rate. My primary care is, my surgeon is not.

So... seeing as how I haven't SEEN my primary care provider since 2009 (pre-op!) I got a check up, a skin check, a pap smear, a tetanus shot, and 13 tubes of blood drawn. Fun!

Anyway, he was awesome. He said he was going to order a set of labs so I showed him the list I wanted and he checked them off and ordered them. Made recommendations on what I might not need to follow anymore since my weight loss has stabilized, etc... I'm going to be comfortable with him following my care. He was very knowledgeable about WLS patients and their needs, processes and issues (I have reactive hypoglycemia).
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #78

Heather--wow, that's a lot of blood. Glad you have a good primary. I do too so eventually I will only see him too but not for a few years.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Last night we went to an event at a local museum with another couple. It was a party in the gardens of what is nicknamed "The Castle" (huge gothic mansion from the turn of the century that was turned into a museum.) Very pretty, lights everywhere, bands, food, cocktails. How did my sleeve affect my evening?
1. Overall being thinner = more energy= saying yes to more events/plans. In the past I might not have even suggested we do this for fear of being "too tired".
2. Instead of looking at other people's beautiful clothes and wishing I could wear them, I wore a lovely yellow sun dress and felt spectacular.
3. Made sure husband brought the camera!
4. Posed for pictures! Happily.
5. Cheap date again ~ nibbled off my husband's plate and took sips from some of his cocktails (paid an admission fee, but drinks, food etc were extra). Completely satisfied with this arrangement : )
6. Was able to stand while we chatted and listened to the bands in complete comfort.

Deprived because I couldn't eat all the food or drink all the cocktails? NOT A CHANCE!!!! Instead, I noted once again that my sleeve was responsible for my liberation from fat prison. I love my sleeve.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Oh yes, another sleeve victory ~ I love, love, love to swim. No matter what weight, I always have a swimsuit that fits and I get into the water whenever possible. My parents live on a lake. One thing I did not do is jump off the boat into the water. IF I got into the water when we were anchored, it was with trepidation because I was never entirely sure I would be able to pull myself up onto the diving platform, and I was somehow afraid to jump in, as if my weight would send me hurtling to the bottom of the lake. Last weekend we took the boat out and I thought, it's time, do it!!!! And I jumped in!!!! It was so fun, I scrambled back onto the boat (easy peasy) and did it again. Just a little thing, but exhilarating just the same.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Flex ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hello everyone, I have a friend who is considering the VSG. What are the pros and cons you experienced after the surgery? 6 weeks, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, etc. How did you deal with the days who wanted to eat more than what the new stomach coukd tolerate? How about different types of food? Spicy? Italian, Indian, Chinese, Mexican? Was there anything you couldn't digest or tolerate? Did you find you still have any food obsession? What are the chances of switching to another substance when food is no longer an option? I.e. alcohol, spending, gambling, etc?

I appreciate any insight you have to offer.

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Hello everyone, I have a friend who is considering the VSG. What are the pros and cons you experienced after the surgery?
I don't have a long list of pros and cons.... the only con is chronic acid reflux, and not everyone gets it... but I sure have it. The pros are too long to list. I absolutely love my sleeve and am so so so thankful for it and I don't have one single regret.

Quote:
6 weeks, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, etc.
I am over 3 years out. As of today the only con (as mentioned above) is acid reflux. Very early out (like 3 weeks) I had trouble with my electrolytes and staying hydrated was a CHORE because I couldn't gulp down fluid (still can't really but it's more than a tiny sip). But sipping all day and taking some Emergen-C and Smart Water (electrolytes) made it manageable.

Quote:
How did you deal with the days who wanted to eat more than what the new stomach coukd tolerate?
Honestly, that NEVER happened at the beginning because the ghrelin reduction was, for me, such a shock to my body that I became like a normal person lol (see food addiction question below too).

Quote:
How about different types of food? Spicy? Italian, Indian, Chinese, Mexican? Was there anything you couldn't digest or tolerate?
I can eat ANYTHING... just in smaller quantities than before. It wasn't always that way, but about 18 months out or maybe less I could eat anything I wanted. Not that I DO... but I could.

Quote:
Did you find you still have any food obsession?
I can 100% truthfully say that it was not an issue AT ALL for two years... then it got harder. If I eat carbs, I start obsessing/craving/spiraling out of control. If I eat certain trigger foods, same thing... also certain times of the month I care too much about food.

Quote:
What are the chances of switching to another substance when food is no longer an option? I.e. alcohol, spending, gambling, etc?
I don't know... I know for me that alcohol was NEVER a challenge for me... I just don't think about it. I maybe developed a dance/exercise addiction? lol but it's tapered off. I am pretty balanced these days.

Quote:
I appreciate any insight you have to offer.
I will add, that the trick with the sleeve is that you have to make good choices. At first, the surgery is both restrictive and corrective hormonally (huge reduction in ghrelin) but more than a couple of years out, the body finds a way to increase appetite again and restriction is a very IMPORTANT tool but it is not everything. Can I eat a whole bag of candy or popcorn or a whole pint of ice cream? Yes. Can I eat a huge plate of steak and veggies? Absolutely not. There are slider foods that even the restriction can be outdone.... so, wise choices is ever important.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Old 07-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #83

Mary----good post.

I will be 8 months out on Saturday. I did not experience acid reflux and generally have no cons yet. It has all been very positive for me.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Hi MaryMary, My one complication is reflux and it is easily controlled with medication. It was much worse in the beginning, but has gotten better and I have actually reduced my medications significantly. At one year out I can eat just about anything, but yes, iI find it easier, much easier to resist things that I felt powerless over before. I feel like I have an arsenal of strategies to help me when tempted that I deduced myself or learned during my pre-op and from support groups. Here is what I posted in June when I reached the one year anniversary of my vsg surgery:

In the fall of 2011 I began making plans to go to Italy to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary in August 2012. It was a long saved for and long anticipated trip. Once the real planning began, I realized my enthusiasm wasnít what I would have expected. I began to see the trip, me, miserable with aching feet, looking for benches while my husband climbed hills and towers for a better view. It was the final indignity in a life filled with indignities and limitations due the massive amount of weight I was carrying. So in November 2011, I sat my husband down and asked him how he would feel about postponing the trip until the following summer so I could have weight loss surgery. He responded very positively and seemed relieved. So I went to an informational meeting at the program I selected, and had my first medical visit with them in December. My insurance required the 6 month medically supervised diet, and although I didnít always agree with the nutritionistís advice, overall I found the 6 months to be very helpful. My 6 months was pretty standard, I lost about 9 pounds and did my best to prepare. My clinic did not require a 2 week liquids diet, which I was happy for, but I would have done it if necessary. I feel like they prepared me well, and I am pleased with the aftercare also. I had a bumpy recovery, needed IV fluids on about day 9. My bout with dehydration was really brutal, but that was the worst of it. I was sore for a long time, mourned food, had super tight restriction making it hard to drink, and was incredibly fatigued that first month.

During my misery, I didnít get discouraged, because I had every reason to believe it would get better, and WOW did it ever!!!! I canít begin to list all of the ways my life has improved. Little things (but I guess big things too) kneeling without pain during mass (I know God doesnít care how I pray, but I feel more focused when I can kneel) working in my flower beds without pain, taking the stairs at work, having room in my seat in the tiny auditorium seats where we have our staff meetings, students ( I teach high school) telling me I look ďso cute todayĒ (although 2 boys have said I look ďhotĒ not sure how I feel about that), moving easily between the rows of desks, crossing my legs a hundred times a day ( sil who had a blood clot tells me I need to stop doing this, but I canít, too much fun!) dancing like a fool at weddings, getting up from the couch easily, having a salesperson tell me I needed a smaller size to show off my cute hour glass figure, lowering the tray in my airplane seat, painting my toenails, shopping, shopping, shopping, husband saying he got his 20 something wife back, (actually I'm 50 something ) learning to enjoy working out again .... and freedom, how to describe the freedom? Itís like I got let out of fat prison. I walk around in the world looking like any normal person, free from the physical weight and the weight of judgment from others. When you are morbidly obese, it takes daily courage to go about your life, because even though you know you are loved and valuable, there are times you will endure the looks and comments of others who will try to make you feel, that in fact, you are not. I thought I was living my best life, but it turns out my weight was holding me back in ways I didnít realize. Yes, I am out of fat prison!

I still enjoy food, but not the same way. When we are going somewhere, to dinner at a friends, or out for the night, instead of anticipating what Iíll be eating, my focus is much more on looking forward to socializing or seeing the movie or watching the play etc. The event, not the food, entertains me now. I have so much more energy, and can make plans even on a school night (!) without worrying Iím too tired, I need to rest for tomorrow.... I say ďyes!Ē much more often, to things Iíve always enjoyed and new things I was afraid to try because of my weight.
Iíve tried to establish good habits, tracking what I eat, weighing everyday (a must for me, when Iím not eating well the first thing I do is avoid the scale). Eating protein first, exercising. Itís not always easy, but with my sleeve to help me, it is doable. My restriction is still good; in fact Iím very pleased with it. It limits how much I can eat, but has loosened enough that I can have salad or low carb fruits for snacks now, and still meet my protein goals.

I had my 1 year check up this week. I felt really emotional as I walked into the hospital (my clinic is in the hospital where I had surgery), and realized how profoundly everything changed since surgery. I felt amazed, proud, grateful. Starting weight 293, today 167 (-126) Blood pressure 140/92. Today, 117/70 (no medication). Before: Size 24/3x, today I wore size 10 pants and medium NY & Co shirt. Before, sleep apnea and ungodly snoring (poor husband), today no CPAP, no snoring, usually restful sleep, including dreams. (which I rarely had during the sleep apnea period). Bloodwork good, no trends indicating any problems may be coming. Before BMI + 40, today BMI 28. My clinic encourages people to be between a BMI of 29 Ė 22, so I can safely continue to loss, or if I choose to maintain, I have statistically eliminated health risks associated with weight.

And that trip to Italy for my anniversary ~ I leave Friday.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #85

Okay, so here's my accountability. I had set a goal in BodyMedia to get to 130 by 8/5. HA! So here's my current. And I've reset that goal to get to 140 by sometime in September. Actually, I input a goal weight and choose some options and it does the figuring for me. This one it gave me losing 1.5 pounds a week, I chose 1700 calories consumed and it gave me 2450 calories to burn (750 daily calorie deficit). 60 minutes of moderate activity (walking, yoga), 30 minutes of vigorous activity (running), OR 10000 steps a day.

I added some images. You can see in the one with all the weight measurements how I was holding steady for a LONG time, then I lost control and things got erratic and ugly. I trended up, sometimes dropping down when I buckled down and worked it, but then went back up again. This is me being real.

Kicker is... still size 4. Little bit snugger, could *probably* wear some 6's but yeah, overall still the same size I was at 140-145. A little squooshier in places than I'd like so no it's not all muscle gain. I'll buy about half of it as muscle, but not all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weight accountability.jpg (28.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg weight goal.jpg (22.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #86
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Flex ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Thanks, everone for taking the time. If you think of anything else, let me know.

It seems like acid reflux and dehydration are two early symptons. Then planning and being prepared to really change what you eat are the second. Lastly,it sounds that after two year, the sleeve adjusts a bit, maybe stretches a little and learns how to accomodate a bit more food.

What soods irritate this sleeve? Is it different for everyone? My friend loves to cook and entertain. She comes from a big Italian family. Any idea how this might play into ghe after care?
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #87

Heather--I was wondering how everyone was doing on their goals. I'm not making mine either--not even close. I have been stuck on and off for about a month---about the time I got deficient in B12---coincidence??? I think not. GRRRRR
Old 07-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Thanks, everone for taking the time. If you think of anything else, let me know.

It seems like acid reflux and dehydration are two early symptons. Then planning and being prepared to really change what you eat are the second. Lastly,it sounds that after two year, the sleeve adjusts a bit, maybe stretches a little and learns how to accomodate a bit more food.

What soods irritate this sleeve? Is it different for everyone? My friend loves to cook and entertain. She comes from a big Italian family. Any idea how this might play into ghe after care?
I still love to cook, and bake. If I bake though, I do it when I know it will be eaten up, (ie party/entertaining) because it is harder for me to ignore cookies etc. I can stay out of them, but why put myself through that? For me, the only thing that consistently bothers my sleeve is meat that has dried out a bit. For example, had dinner with friends, and they packed up some grilled steak for me to bring home in a doggie bag. The next day it was okay, but the day after no longer moist enough and Now some days my sleeve is more picky, who knows why, but generally I can eat anything, keeping in mind that I don't eat anything I want everyday. Really, food is still a pleasure in my life, but it is now in its proper place. I have rediscovered so many other pleasures that I don't miss over consuming food. My love/obsession/addiction of food was killing me. I'm happy my vsg helped me break the chains and I do not have one iota of regret. None, only gratitude.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
For example, had dinner with friends, and they packed up some grilled steak for me to bring home in a doggie bag. The next day it was okay, but the day after no longer moist enough and
When I need to reheat meats like that I slice it up, cover the whole thing with a wet paper towel (to "steam" it and keep it moist) and microwave.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #90

Today's accountability. Dots are weigh ins, red line is proposed progress to goal...

Down 1.6 since yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-30-2013 12-06-54 PM.jpg (16.8 KB, 6 views)