LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie-San View Post
Speaking of alcohol....

I have been struggling with it for years. Went to rehab two years ago. Relapsed a year later for a year...still struggling. The thing is, "they" don't tell you that alcohol can become a problem...as you substitute it for food.

I've had a lot of trauma in the past and I'm working with a trauma therapist atm.

That combined with depression, anxiety disorder and ADD oh AND being peri-meno doesn't help. Ugh.

I didn't have a problem before WLS. A bottle of wine would last week in our house. It didn't really start until after the weight was all gone and I was rejected to have my stomach excess skin removed. I got really depressed...couldn't eat a lot so I started drinking instead.

So if you do like to have a drink every so often, BE VERY CAREFUL!

Very good advice! And welcome!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #122
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Leslie-San
WOE: WLS
Thank you
Leslie-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #123

Today should be a good day. I have a few things I need to knock out work-wise, but no meetings or phone calls scheduled. I do have 2 nurse training classes all day, but I'm not teaching them. I'm just sitting in on them and working while I listen. That way I absorb the content and I can support when we implement.

Planned yoga class tonight. Run after if it's cooled down enough.

16 oz water on the drive to work.

B - 0% Fage, frozen cherries, splenda
L - chicken breast (canned today), cottage cheese, chickpeas, pepperoncini
s - apple or protein drink
D - no clue.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #124

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I just got back from my primary dr appt. He was extremely pleased with my wl progress and health improvements. According to his scale, I have lost 95 pound. He said he thinks I am doing even better than most bypass patients. He gave me the name of a counseling place. I will call later to see if they take my insurance. We kept my med the same for now.

Family came over again last night and it was awful. Drama to the max. BIL said some things to/about MIL and she flipped. Ugly and stressful, I'm so glad he's leaving today. Accckkk The good news is I didn't have any wine. Yeah! I'm done, just too much of a chance of cross addiction for me. Maybe when I'm better in my head or when we go out, I can have a glass but not at home with all that stress. It would drive anyone to drink!
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!

Last edited by chewiegand; 07-23-2013 at 08:24 AM..
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #125
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Good for you, Chewie - not drinking was the right choice. I have never been much of a drinker, but the few drinks that I have had since my surgery I totally understand the allure. I hope the counseling place is helpful.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #126
Blabbermouth!!!

Heather - I am having a lot more pain with my gallbladder surgery than I had expected. Is it normal to have such a stitch in my side today if I had the surgery on Friday? I had a major bathroom issue (gas/pain/bloating) which I finally got some relief from after some magnesium citrate. Yesterday was soooo painful! Now, I have this new-ish kind of pain... Man, I am tired of hurting - and I am not a wimp!! Any advice or insight from you, Heather, or anyone? Thank you!!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #127

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
HT don't forget that anesthesia and pain meds can cause the bathroom issue. I didn't "go" for a week after each of my skin removals and ouch!
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #128

Yesterday

b - white chocolate coffee protein shake
l - salad with chicken on top and ranch dressing
s - sea weed and a yogurt
d - chicken marsala
s - peanut butter cookie protein shake

Calories 1200
Walked 10K steps
Old 07-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #129

Today

B - gingerbread cookie protein shake made with calorie countdown milk 225 cal
S - carb master yogurt and seaweed 85cal
L - Chicken salad with chicken, parm chs, 1 tbsp almond slivers and cesar dressing 300 cal
D - Beef merlot 310 cal
S - decaf coffee protein (not sure yet what flavor) 225 cal

1145 Calories
Goal to walk 12K steps
Old 07-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #130

I have counted calories the past two days and actually have had to ADD a protein shake at the end of the day because my calorie goal right now is around 1200... wow, I really underestimated my calories.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!

I know that the anesthesia and pain meds did me in with the bathroom issues. I am feeling better in that respect - just the general pain is still more than I expected. I'm thinking I may have been so tensed up that today my muscles are just really sore. I am off the hydrocodone now (no more issues please!!) but the Tylenol isn't really doing much... I sure hope this is the beginning of the end of the pain!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
finding "balance"

I still enjoy food. If I am going to eat small meals, I want them to taste good. I think I have been eating too good of food lately, because it seems my appetite is growing (not hunger, I am no hungrier, physically than before). I'm considering dialing back on yummy but on program food and see if my appetite settles down a bit. And push the fluids. I'm not at goal yet.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I know that the anesthesia and pain meds did me in with the bathroom issues. I am feeling better in that respect - just the general pain is still more than I expected. I'm thinking I may have been so tensed up that today my muscles are just really sore. I am off the hydrocodone now (no more issues please!!) but the Tylenol isn't really doing much... I sure hope this is the beginning of the end of the pain!
You've really had to deal with a lot of surgery in the past 2 years. If you say you're sore, than I'm sure you are really sore. Take care so you can heal.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I have counted calories the past two days and actually have had to ADD a protein shake at the end of the day because my calorie goal right now is around 1200... wow, I really underestimated my calories.
That could be a lot of what's been going on with you too. Too few calories can cause holding on to weight, lack of energy and all kinds of bad things.

HT, sore is expected. The incisions may be tiny, but what they did through them is a different story! They really do a lot through that left upper incision and the umbilical incision. And you're probably guarding which is tensing you up. Where is your pain focused? And remember you're probably still dealing with CO2 pockets.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #135

20 oz water on the way to work.
B - 0% Fage, frozen cherries, splenda
L - chicken breast, chickpeas, cottage cheese, pepperoncini peppers
s - apple or protein
D - no idea.

Workout - not sure, run or yoga
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #136
Blabbermouth!!!

The pain still doesn't seem to be subsiding. Its a lot of stomach pain/pressure down low (it does kind of move around/down as time passes) but there's also like a "stitch" in my side where I think my gallbladder was. I don't have a fever, the area doesn't seem red or warm...it just hurts all. the. time. Well, okay, not when I'm sitting still, but any movement or activity hurts. My fitbit isn't even correctly tracking my steps (I think) because I move so slowly and stiffly. This just HAS to get better! I am miserable.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The pain still doesn't seem to be subsiding. Its a lot of stomach pain/pressure down low (it does kind of move around/down as time passes) but there's also like a "stitch" in my side where I think my gallbladder was. I don't have a fever, the area doesn't seem red or warm...it just hurts all. the. time. Well, okay, not when I'm sitting still, but any movement or activity hurts. My fitbit isn't even correctly tracking my steps (I think) because I move so slowly and stiffly. This just HAS to get better! I am miserable.
Are you toughing it out too much? Maybe you need to use some pain killers until this settles down a bit.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #138

Quote:
there's also like a "stitch" in my side where I think my gallbladder was.
Right upper quadrant?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #139

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Oh boy, I am po'd at my wls office. I had bloodwork on June 10 and they just called me today to tell me I am low on my B12. I looked up the symptoms of it and I have had all the symptoms lately--problems with constipation, problems with mood and depression. I should have been told weeks ago not 6 weeks later. GRRRRRR Now I have to go and buy sublingual pills at the dr to take daily. I wonder how quickly it'll work. BTW, prior to now, I've had shots every 3 months and not had a problem.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm considering taking a few more pain pills. I'm not sure what to do, since that will slow my bathroom activities down.

The pain is about at my natural waist on the right side. Maybe a little higher, yes. It hurts to take a deep breath or to yawn. Walking isn't fun. I mean just getting around - I can't even THINK about walking with any speed. I had some activia and strawberries for breakfast around 9. It sat okay. Then I had half a pita with hummus and some feta cheese around 12:30. O,o I got one heck of a stomachache - ended up crying - a combo of tears from the pain and the frustration. Heather, does the pain I'm describing sound reasonable? I had this surgery on 7/19. Any advice? Finally, my doctor has office hours tomorrow. Should I go? I've already talked with him on the worst day of the pain. It has improved since then, for sure, but it just seems like I'm still in a lot of pain. Of course, I've never had this particular surgery done, but I did have my hysterectomy removed this way...which I was already out walking (slowly) by now. Help!!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 07-24-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #141
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Oh boy, I am po'd at my wls office. I had bloodwork on June 10 and they just called me today to tell me I am low on my B12. I looked up the symptoms of it and I have had all the symptoms lately--problems with constipation, problems with mood and depression. I should have been told weeks ago not 6 weeks later. GRRRRRR Now I have to go and buy sublingual pills at the dr to take daily. I wonder how quickly it'll work. BTW, prior to now, I've had shots every 3 months and not had a problem.
Ohhhh I didn't even think about that. I had a similar issue a while back. I had never had shots, but was taking a sublingual B vitamin. I just got away from it. Once I started again my issues also seemed to lessen fairly quickly. I hope this helps you a lot!!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #142

HT please do go to your Doctor tomorrow!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #143
Blabbermouth!!!

I might, Mary. I did some looking around online, and it seems many people have similar issues this first week - and even a bit longer than that. And, since I've had issues in the bathroom even before WLS maybe this is just how it is at first. I want to have Heather weigh in on it - and see how I feel the rest of today. I might go - just not sure yet. Thank you (and thank all of you) for your concern and sympathy. I need it & appreciate it!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
What was your number, and did you request a copy of the rest of your labs?

Quote:
I'm considering taking a few more pain pills. I'm not sure what to do, since that will slow my bathroom activities down.

The pain is about at my natural waist on the right side. Maybe a little higher, yes. It hurts to take a deep breath or to yawn. Walking isn't fun. I mean just getting around - I can't even THINK about walking with any speed. I had some activia and strawberries for breakfast around 9. It sat okay. Then I had half a pita with hummus and some feta cheese around 12:30. O,o I got one heck of a stomachache - ended up crying - a combo of tears from the pain and the frustration. Heather, does the pain I'm describing sound reasonable? I had this surgery on 7/19. Any advice? Finally, my doctor has office hours tomorrow. Should I go? I've already talked with him on the worst day of the pain. It has improved since then, for sure, but it just seems like I'm still in a lot of pain. Of course, I've never had this particular surgery done, but I did have my hysterectomy removed this way...which I was already out walking (slowly) by now. Help!!
That's where your gallbladder was, yes. I remember you have a pretty good pain tolerance so I would give your doctor a call and see what he says. Laparoscopic surgeries overall tend to be *less* painful, but there can be some soreness if they need to manipulate a lot. To be safe, give them a call, explain what's going on and see if you need to go in.

Bathroom issues are extremely common because of the anesthesia. Basically they put your body functions to sleep too so it takes a bit to wake up. But you have to have something going it for it to start coming out...

My recommendation is to contact the doctor.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #145
Blabbermouth!!!

I will call first thing in the morning. Maybe he can explain how much rooting around he did...maybe that's it. Maybe I overdid it when I was on my hydrocodone. In any case, I think I'd rather go than not and have some weird problem later. However, I still don't know what he can do about it. Man, I HATE feeling crappy!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #146

Today

B - gingerbread cookie protein shake made with calorie countdown milk 225 cal
S - carb master yogurt 60 cal
L - Salad with chicken, bacon, cheddar, blue cheese, almond slivers 350 cal
S - Atkins Bar 180 cal
D - Chicken and broccoli with Alfredo Sauce 330 cal
S - decaf coffee with calorie countdown milk SF caramel 70 cal

1215 Calories
Goal to walk 12K steps
Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #147

Quote:
However, I still don't know what he can do about it.
He can rule out serious issues and give you peace of mind.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #148
Blabbermouth!!!

I texted his nurse and she said he'll see me at 9AM tomorrow. Something's gotta give; this is not fun. Thanks, Everyone for listening to me whine... & Heather for your expert commentary! I'll update when I know more.

Mary - Your menu sounds so yummy! I was going to have a mint cookie protein shake, but my DS9 decided to drain the milk... Guess I'll have a peach one with water instead.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
He can rule out serious issues and give you peace of mind.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #150

Quote:
I texted his nurse and she said he'll see me at 9AM tomorrow. Something's gotta give; this is not fun. Thanks, Everyone for listening to me whine... & Heather for your expert commentary! I'll update when I know more.

Mary - Your menu sounds so yummy! I was going to have a mint cookie protein shake, but my DS9 decided to drain the milk... Guess I'll have a peach one with water instead.