Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Short 1.8 mile run this morning. We were going to take another run around the block (.5 mile) but by then it was already 630 and I had to shower and get ready for work. I need to get up about 10-15 minutes earlier for a longer run. OR just learn to run faster!

20 oz water
B - 0% Fage, frozen cherries, splenda
L - sliced chicken breast, cottage cheese, chickpeas, pepperoncinis (mixed up like chicken salad)
s - RTD protein
D - not sure!!

I'd like to go for another run when it cools down this evening, but if I don't get to it's okay. I've already gotten one in.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I'm jealous of your morning run - but I wasn't allowed to eat or drink after midnight again today (well, nothing after 4AM, so I just stopped when I went to bed...), so I didn't think doing all that and not drinking at least water would be a good idea. I will walk/jog/run tonight for sure because...

Tomorrow morning I am having my gallbladder out. He did an ultrasound and said I have sludge and stones in there. He said with pain like mine it is almost always either an ulcer/stomach problem or a gallbladder problem. And, since my stomach is fine it pretty much has to be my gallbladder. I felt a little overwhelmed, but I know it is for sure a lot of pain when these "attacks" happen, and it is for the best. And, since I am currently not on my blood thinners it is really good timing.

So...prayers and good thoughts, please, for tomorrow!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 07-18-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmhearts
Thank you for the kind responses. Here I go.

For about two weeks now, I've been making scrambled eggs for breakfast and bringing salads to work. Night time is harder for me because my willpower goes down the toilet then for some reason. I've been cheating with sips of soda or like last night I had aquarter cup serving of ice cream. It annoys me and the only consistent progress I see right now is that my headaches I had last week when I started don't come as hard or as early in the day.

I need to exercise so I'm going to try to put on some music and dance tonight after work.
jmhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I'm jealous of your morning run - but I wasn't allowed to eat or drink after midnight again today (well, nothing after 4AM, so I just stopped when I went to bed...), so I didn't think doing all that and not drinking at least water would be a good idea. I will walk/jog/run tonight for sure because...

Tomorrow morning I am having my gallbladder out. He did an ultrasound and said I have sludge and stones in there. He said with pain like mine it is almost always either an ulcer/stomach problem or a gallbladder problem. And, since my stomach is fine it pretty much has to be my gallbladder. I felt a little overwhelmed, but I know it is for sure a lot of pain when these "attacks" happen, and it is for the best. And, since I am currently not on my blood thinners it is really good timing.

I *love* running in the morning, it's the rolling out of bed that really stinks.

The relief from the gallbladder totally circumvents the pain of surgery (which if laraposcopic is minimal). I had mine out at 20. Beware - if you tend to eat high fat (which probably exacerbated your attacks btw!) then you could experience INCREASED dumping syndrome afterwards. There is a dumping associated with high fat meals post cholecystectomy that is just like post RNY dumping. Bile digests fats. Without bile storage (gallbladder) to excrete it when you need it it pretty much is just hit and miss. So with the dumping mechanism with the pouch combined with the lack of gallbladder you'll have a lot more undigested fats hitting the bowel... um... yeah.

This is why I do not do well with fats.

Haha, so I totally went off into clinical mode when what I really was intending to do was say that I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, and wanting everything to go well. Does it make you feel okay if I were to say that choles are the MOST common procedure performed in my experience and that I could do them in my sleep? Not that I was ever sleeping or anything! But it was a running joke that we SWORE gallbladders regenerated themselves around here because we did soooo many of them a day!

Are they removing the greenfield as well at the same time? They can, they'll just do them with seperate sterile setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhearts View Post
Thank you for the kind responses. Here I go.

For about two weeks now, I've been making scrambled eggs for breakfast and bringing salads to work. Night time is harder for me because my willpower goes down the toilet then for some reason. I've been cheating with sips of soda or like last night I had aquarter cup serving of ice cream. It annoys me and the only consistent progress I see right now is that my headaches I had last week when I started don't come as hard or as early in the day.

I need to exercise so I'm going to try to put on some music and dance tonight after work.
We are all kind, but we are also honest. My first question to you is do you know how many calories you are taking in a day? And my second and third would be how many grams of protein, and are you taking your vitamins (we have a good thread on that here too)? Are you exercising regularly? And what's going through your mind when you find yourself eating/sipping these things you are cheating with?

I have issues with certain types of foods. While generally they are legal according to my rules (I abstain from sugar and high fat foods), they are trigger foods that cause me to overeat. NSA oatmeal raisin cookies are the devil around here, so I CANNOT bring them home. If I do, even if I intend to eat one and freeze the rest to dole them out... well... let's just say they taste just fine frozen. I will forgo good healthy food and eat nothing but them darn cookies all day long!!!

So, not to be nosy or judgemental or anything! We all have the SAME things going on. Just trying to get a grasp on where you are in the grand scheme of things so we can help and support you!

FYI I had chronic migraines pre-op. I always say if I had to do it all over again I would do it in a heartbeat - even if there was no weight loss - because my migraines were gone, instantly, after surgery. I've had the occasional headache, but no migraines. I had them to the point that the amount of pain meds I was taking daily, if not hourly, had caused ulcers.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:

Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Damn trail mix! It's been sitting in our cupboard for a couple of weeks and I got into to it yesterday by the handful. Just walked it out to the trash can and poured it out. Once again it turns out that I thought everyone in my family liked it, but it was only me. So.... no more buying trail mix. This particular problem now solved.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

Having to decrease my fats is gonna be tough!! First thing I thought was "Oh No! Indian Food!" lol I suppose this is a good thing. Less fat = less calories = better cholesterol and some weight loss I hope.

Thanks for the mini lesson and support Heather (and Jesse)! I was wondering about it, but hate to search medical stuff online cause I always find stuff that scares the crackers outta me!!

Trail mix! I love it too much! I used to cook it into oatmeal and or cream of wheat... I have stopped that, though. Just too good!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 07-18-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #98

Spicy before removal isn't fun. It triggers pain. But I don't have an issues with spicy now.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #99
Blabbermouth!!!

They are not taking out the filter...I'll need it for the surgery and the recovery. I imagine I'll look at getting it out in a few months - I'll try to schedule it as to not miss much/any work.

Aw man...I need to go eat some Indian food!

And Butter! And cream! And more Indian food!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 07-18-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #100

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
HT--prayng for your surgery
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #101

Quote:
They are not taking out the filter...I'll need it for the surgery and the recovery. I imagine I'll look at getting it out in a few months - I'll try to schedule it as to not miss much/any work.

Aw man...I need to go eat some Indian food!

And Butter! And cream! And more Indian food!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #102

Ok, I ordered the Fitbit one because the big A store lowered the price to only $76. Maybe it will help motivate me. I can hope, right? lol
Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #103

My life is a whirlwind right now! We are working up to a big implementation at work - computerized physician order entry. Basically we are saying goodbye paper chart - hello computer - to EVERYTHING. We are hybrid right now... and my boss just left for a 2 week vacation. I'm on my own with all these decisions to make and progess to make... I need a vacation!!!

Anyway... breathe.

No run this morning, I had to be at a surgeon's meeting at 7am. Then I've been in training classes for nurses all day.

B - 0% Fage, frozen cherries, splenda
L - sliced chicken breast, cottage cheese, chickpeas, pepperoncini
s - protein drink or an apple
D - no idea, maybe mexican out

Maybe a run tonight if we don't go out to eat. Tomorrow Molly has class, her first day of intermediate training - high school I've been calling it lol. Then I have a 2 hour yoga workshop on inversions. Then shopping at some point in time. Probably a run or something that evening. Sunday I have another yoga workshop - this one is a roll and restore workshop. You use foam rollers and bolsters and props for some deep muscle release. Can't wait!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #104

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Hi everyone. I've been really busy with work. But I am happy to say I have been doing well with being consistent with my eating.

Chewie, you area allowed to say "Amazon" just don't link to it.

B - Gingerbread Coffee Protein Shake (OMG! YUM!!!) made with Monin sugar free gingerbread syrup

L - LC Wrap with steak, cheese, lettuce, onion and ranch

S - Key Lime LC Yogurt (Kroger/Ralphs Brand) and maybe some sea weed

D - I can't stop thinking about the clams I had at a crab boil place... I just might get some tonight! Or maybe just some spaghetti squash and another shake.

My sis in law works at the Big 5 corporate office so she gets everything at cost.... I bought Asics, a pull up bar, pedometer that is supposed to work with a smart phone (I have been wearing it but haven't gotten it to sync with my phone yet and no time to look into how to do it)... anyway the Big 5 splurge has helped with my exercise

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Hi everyone. I've been really busy with work. But I am happy to say I have been doing well with being consistent with my eating.

Chewie, you area allowed to say "Amazon" just don't link to it.

B - Gingerbread Coffee Protein Shake (OMG! YUM!!!) made with Monin sugar free gingerbread syrup

L - LC Wrap with steak, cheese, lettuce, onion and ranch

S - Key Lime LC Yogurt (Kroger/Ralphs Brand) and maybe some sea weed

D - I can't stop thinking about the clams I had at a crab boil place... I just might get some tonight! Or maybe just some spaghetti squash and another shake.

My sis in law works at the Big 5 corporate office so she gets everything at cost.... I bought Asics, a pull up bar, pedometer that is supposed to work with a smart phone (I have been wearing it but haven't gotten it to sync with my phone yet and no time to look into how to do it)... anyway the Big 5 splurge has helped with my exercise
Nothing like new stuff to motivate you!

I bought some (more) running shorts, a running shirt, (another) pair of running sunnies - pink this time!, and 2 headbands. I went to a sports store to sign up for next weekends 5k because it was 25% off today only. Weeeeelllll... that 25% savings ($11.75 total) cost me about $150.

That was after I stopped at another store and bought myself 3 pairs of jeans, 4 tops, a new overnight bag, a pair of black winter boots (clearanced to $5!), 2 storage baskets and 4 shirts.

We don't talk to the husband about what I spend. We just do it. Being a breadwinner has perks.

I'm looking into getting a Garmin, probably the 610. I haven't splurged yet, but it's coming. I'm only waiting because I'm getting a new phone. Either the iphone5 or I'm jumping ship to an Android model. Recommendations?

I'm in the market for some new runners. I have my current pair, my dirty run pair and my disposable run pair.

I use the current for pretty much everything. The dirty run pair for color runs or wet runs. The disposable run pair is for stuff like mud runs. It's time to rotate them .
Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #106
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has multiple pairs of running shoes! I just tossed the verrrrry old ones. Now I have the ones I don't care for (not Brooks...) that are my back-ups at work (in case I forget to bring my better ones), my current ones (that are almost ready to be back-ups), and a new pair in the closet. I love, love, LOVE my Brooks' running shoes.

Chewie - If you even like it half as much as I do I think you will LOVE it. I know it helps motivate me. Yesterday, after my evening walk/run, I discovered I was at 8700 steps. 10,000 steps is the big goal for me right now, so I walked around the house until I hit it!

Mary - I agree - if a little something new will help keep you going, then indulge! I also would love to try that gingerbread shake!

Okay ladies, I am now without a gallbladder. They were getting me ready for the possibility of an overnight stay, but my surgeon was able to keep it laproscopic, so I am home! I'm sore, a bit gassy, and in some mild pain, but I'm okay. One funny thing - I kept setting their monitors off because my pulse (I guess that's it) was hovering around 50 - 52, which was low-ish. I attribute that to working out and being dedicated. My blood pressure - my everything was in really good ranges. All in all, this was probably the best experience and outcome I could have hoped for. Now...pain meds and bed!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #107

HT--glad to hear you are home and recuperating.

Mary, what is the Big 5?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #108

Date night tonight and we're going to the Bonefish grill. I'm having lobster. Yum

Dh starts vacation today and he sure needs it as he worked 74 hours this week. Accckkk
Old 07-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has multiple pairs of running shoes! I just tossed the verrrrry old ones. Now I have the ones I don't care for (not Brooks...) that are my back-ups at work (in case I forget to bring my better ones), my current ones (that are almost ready to be back-ups), and a new pair in the closet. I love, love, LOVE my Brooks' running shoes.

Chewie - If you even like it half as much as I do I think you will LOVE it. I know it helps motivate me. Yesterday, after my evening walk/run, I discovered I was at 8700 steps. 10,000 steps is the big goal for me right now, so I walked around the house until I hit it!

Mary - I agree - if a little something new will help keep you going, then indulge! I also would love to try that gingerbread shake!

Okay ladies, I am now without a gallbladder. They were getting me ready for the possibility of an overnight stay, but my surgeon was able to keep it laproscopic, so I am home! I'm sore, a bit gassy, and in some mild pain, but I'm okay. One funny thing - I kept setting their monitors off because my pulse (I guess that's it) was hovering around 50 - 52, which was low-ish. I attribute that to working out and being dedicated. My blood pressure - my everything was in really good ranges. All in all, this was probably the best experience and outcome I could have hoped for. Now...pain meds and bed!
Glad to hear that is behind you and healing time is now ahead of you. When does school start up for you?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

I go back to work in (only) TEN days!

Ladies - anyone have experience/advice of how I can get rid of the gas I have due to the laproscopic surgery? It is in there and it does not want to come out!! Help! The gas pain is worse than the surgery pain!!

Thanks for all the kind words! I do feel pretty good overall - just very uncomfortable right now.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #111

Quote:
I go back to work in (only) TEN days!

Ladies - anyone have experience/advice of how I can get rid of the gas I have due to the laproscopic surgery? It is in there and it does not want to come out!! Help! The gas pain is worse than the surgery pain!!

Thanks for all the kind words! I do feel pretty good overall - just very uncomfortable right now.
It's not in your bowel, it's in your peritoneal cavity so gasX won't help at all. Just keep moving. It'll move up, probably pushing on your diaphragm and will cause referred shoulder pain. It just takes time for your body to absorb it... but keeping moving will definitely help.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

Yep - I have some shoulder pain... I will keep moving - good for keeping the clots away, too... Thanks!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #113

Wow. I have to call yesterday a total binge day. THAT was not pretty. I think I was eating in some form or fashion all day...

As much as I hate to look at this and add it all up... from 8am to 2:30am I ate all of the following over the course of the 18 or so hours. Granted, some of it was a bite or three of something but overall it was too much stuff!!!

RTD protein
Pig in a blanket. Ate part of the pig and most of the blanket.
Skinny decaf Starbucks
Some smart food popcorn
a couple of nsa russell stovers (4, smashed and tossed the remainder right out of the window!)
Sonic diet green tea (bought 2, one for later!) and some tator tots. Tossed the rest out in the trash, I just wanted to taste them. I ate 4.
A whole package of Ranier cherries over the course of the rest of the day.
Protein bar x 2.
Diet snapple.
Malt o meal - I had a craving for it, but of course it had to have butter, sweetener and milk.
Microwave opcorn.
6 nsa bread and butter pickle slices
peanut butter off the spoon
Pepperoni cheese bread - this was after I decided that I had eaten horrible all day, was waaaaayyy off track and was going to get straight tomorrow. So my brain told me to eat the bread now so I didn't have to miss out on it. As soon as I realized that was my rationality I tossed all the rest to the dogs.

I'm making myself sick looking at that. Notice the complete and total lack of waters or pretty much any real food in general? Yeah. That.

No workouts either, unless you count grocery shopping and pushing a buggy for an hour and a half.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #114

So... today. Got up, and went for a 2 1/4 mile run. Didn't want to, and my time was sluggish, but I did it. I wanted to stop a mile, a mile and a half and almost 2 miles in but I just kept turning corners to not head back by the house. My average pace was 12:04 which is a good minute per mile slower than my usual average pace... almost a minute and a half per mile slower than my LAST run - but consider what I fed my body all day yesterday and it's no wonder. Food IS fuel, and I had given myself crap fuel. But, I feel good. I'm glad I did it and I'm glad I pushed through it. Now I'm going to read about speed training so I can work up to getting under 10 minutes a mile and even further. I'd LOVE to run an 8 minute mile. I know I can get there, eventually.

Nothing to eat so far. Just some water and some (generic) chewable gasX. I'm about to go hit a protein drink.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #115

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Heather, thank you SO much for your honesty here.... I am willing to bet we have all had days like that and didn't come to post about it.

I have been consistent lately, but I have had periods where days like that seemed to happen once a week!!

B - SF White Chocolate Coffee Protein Shake made with Cal Countdown Milk

L - Pre-packaged, pre-proportioned organic chicken cesar salad (tossing the carby topping)

S - If I need a snack, I'll have a carb countdown yogurt

D - Pork seasoned with garlic, parsley and salt (simple, and my favorite meat seasoning)

I am working today, so I will try to make sure I get off my rear and walk the office every hour or two. Plus I'll walk my dog.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Heather, thank you SO much for your honesty here.... I am willing to bet we have all had days like that and didn't come to post about it.
I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a total closet eater. And yesterday I was home alone all day and all night. Hubby and son are on a road trip to San Antonio. Most of my overeating (per se) happen as night. And a lot of it is in "secret" as in when I'm in the kitchen alone or when someone is outside. I don't know why I've started to do that again, I thought I nipped it in the bud...

So... if it's something I feel ashamed or embarrassed to eat in front of someone else I just won't eat it. If I feel they would judge me for eating again, eating already, eating so much, eating that type... then I just won't eat it. Obviously there must be some merit to it if I feel that way...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #117

Well, the family dinner was good. I just don't like my dh's brother. I ended up drinking too much wine. Ugh. Why??? Stupidity, I guess. I was so stressed and now they're all coming back tonight at 5 for dinner again. My eating was fine but all those calories in the wine plus I don't feel so good today---guilty, ashamed, etc.

My mil pulled the sympathy whine about wanting to get together and have dinner before he leaves tomorrow but she's so old she doesn't even know what to cook anymore. GRRRR So I said we'd cook and bring it to her house. But then dh said just come here cause it'll be easier. Easier for who? I guess I get to clean, cook, serve and clean up again tonight. I just want to go hibernate somewhere by myself.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #118

So how do I find a counselor that can help me with the wls and stuff????
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
ended up drinking too much wine.
Two swallows is too much wine for me! One swallow, LITERALLY, and I was buzzed. More than that and I was drunk. That's why I don't drink at all, ever. I HATED that immediate loss of control!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
So how do I find a counselor that can help me with the wls and stuff????
My first suggestion would be to call your surgeon and see who they use, pretty much all of them have someone they refer to for pre-ops. The one my surgeon uses is GREAT, too bad you aren't closer!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #120
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Leslie-San
WOE: WLS
Speaking of alcohol....

I have been struggling with it for years. Went to rehab two years ago. Relapsed a year later for a year...still struggling. The thing is, "they" don't tell you that alcohol can become a problem...as you substitute it for food.

I've had a lot of trauma in the past and I'm working with a trauma therapist atm.

That combined with depression, anxiety disorder and ADD oh AND being peri-meno doesn't help. Ugh.

I didn't have a problem before WLS. A bottle of wine would last week in our house. It didn't really start until after the weight was all gone and I was rejected to have my stomach excess skin removed. I got really depressed...couldn't eat a lot so I started drinking instead.

So if you do like to have a drink every so often, BE VERY CAREFUL!

RNY - 3/4/04 270 ~ 160 (3/4/06)

Revision - 6/23/12 ... 243/191.5/160

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wybPnHy/weight.png
Leslie-San is offline   Reply With Quote