LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Taralb1981
Stats: 232.6/230.2/140 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: June 22, 2013
Concerned about future excess sagging skin

I just started back to Atkins Induction last Saturday, so I probably got into ketosis yesterday morning. I have been flip-flopping between low carb blogs of all types, but I came across a new topic a few minutes ago; one that has always concerned me: Sagging skin once goal weight is reached. I have about 90-100 more lbs to lose, and I am afraid that the Induction WOE will result in such fast weight loss (I usually lose 20-25 my first 2 weeks), and cause that unsightly sagging skin. I would much rather move into other phases and lose my weight slower than spend a big chunk of my time slapping my abdominal fat in disgust.

My questions to you all now are:

1) Does it make sense to assume, since i lose so much at first, that prolonged Induction would cause me to have excess skin once i've lost all the weight?

2) Does it make sense to move onto Phase 2 of the diet?

3) Has any one of you ever dealt with sagging skin, or fear of getting it, and what did you do to avoid having that problem?

The sagging excess skin I am talking about is the type that can only be gotten rid of by an abdominaplasty, or surgery.

This means a lot to me, and I would like to hear your thoughts on it. The more replies to this thread, the more motivated I'll be. Sometimes, super duper quick fast weight loss is NOT worth it.
Taralb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
As someone who lost 100 pounds in five months, I have a lot of loose skin...for reference I am a size 12 and without it could be at least a size or two smaller. I hate it but I like being thin better than being overweight. I figure I earned my stripes and so be it. I may think of some surgery down the road but for now I can live with it.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
don't worry about the induction making it worse. it's mostly genetic, I think. anyone who is blessed enough to actually lose that much... well, wear clothes! LOL
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I lost a lot of weight quickly, too - 160 pounds my first year alone. I had a lot of excess skin - A LOT! I decided way before my WLS that if I was successful I'd get a tummy tuck. I knew I'd need it. And I did. My doc removed 17 pounds of skin - and maybe a few pounds of fat that wasn't budging... I went from a size 18 on the bottom to a 14 - and sometimes a 12 once I recovered from that one (I had been a size 32-34 at my heaviest...). That said, I also had my arms and thighs done, as well as a breast lift. However, even if I didn't have ANYTHING done I would still much rather be thinner with excess skin than heavier. Plastic surgery is a painful process, and has a longer recovery time than many people realize. It isn't for everyone...

I would say that losing the weight more slowly might be beneficial. I think how your skin will react depends in part on how long you have been heavy, maybe in addition to your age. I had been some kind of heavy my entire adult life - and over 40 - so I knew the chances of anything snapping back was slim. Your results might be very different.

People have different methods to try to reduce excess skin...moisturizing and I think skin brushing are mentioned on the boards. I just had too much - and my dermatologist and plastic surgeon both said it, too. Ah well, I'd do the plastic surgeries again in a heartbeat, just like the WLS. My scars - all of them - serve as reminders to never, ever go back to how I ate or lived my life.

I applaud your weight loss efforts! I hope you have super results and your excess skin is minimal!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I lost a lot of weight quickly, too - 160 pounds my first year alone. I had a lot of excess skin - A LOT! I decided way before my WLS that if I was successful I'd get a tummy tuck. I knew I'd need it. And I did. My doc removed 17 pounds of skin - and maybe a few pounds of fat that wasn't budging... I went from a size 18 on the bottom to a 14 - and sometimes a 12 once I recovered from that one (I had been a size 32-34 at my heaviest...). That said, I also had my arms and thighs done, as well as a breast lift. However, even if I didn't have ANYTHING done I would still much rather be thinner with excess skin than heavier. Plastic surgery is a painful process, and has a longer recovery time than many people realize. It isn't for everyone...

I would say that losing the weight more slowly might be beneficial. I think how your skin will react depends in part on how long you have been heavy, maybe in addition to your age. I had been some kind of heavy my entire adult life - and over 40 - so I knew the chances of anything snapping back was slim. Your results might be very different.

People have different methods to try to reduce excess skin...moisturizing and I think skin brushing are mentioned on the boards. I just had too much - and my dermatologist and plastic surgeon both said it, too. Ah well, I'd do the plastic surgeries again in a heartbeat, just like the WLS. My scars - all of them - serve as reminders to never, ever go back to how I ate or lived my life.

I applaud your weight loss efforts! I hope you have super results and your excess skin is minimal!
Thanks for your honesty. It is very refreshing.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote