Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-surgery/)
-   -   VSGers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-surgery/806358-vsgers.html)

suitebliss 06-18-2013 12:15 PM

VSGers

Do you count calories doing low carb? I would imagine it to be rather difficult seeing that most low carb items like cheese would have a lot of calories. I've lost over 125lbs, got my workout down, but need to work on choosing a low carb lifestyle as my weight loss is at a complete standstill. What are your thoughts?

Maryposa 06-19-2013 02:17 PM

I don't count calories, anymore. I rely on my sleeve and good choices as the dynamic duo. I eat low carb, adequate protein, and I don't worry about fat content; I do not eat "low fat"

Gymnopedie 06-20-2013 05:20 AM

I track what I eat, yes.

BUT... I do not make my food choices based on caloric intake. Like Mary, I focus on low carb, whole foods, focused on protein.

Typically I find that if I have some cheese, etc, I will come in around 900 Cal.

chewiegand 06-20-2013 06:15 AM

I follow the rules as much as possible, probably about 98% of the time---protein first, water water water, 30 minutes no drinking before-during-after meals. I don't even keep bad carbs in my house. Any carbs I get are veggies and I can't really fit too many anyway. :) Love my sleeve.

jmhearts 07-17-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suitebliss (Post 16476046)
Do you count calories doing low carb? I would imagine it to be rather difficult seeing that most low carb items like cheese would have a lot of calories. I've lost over 125lbs, got my workout down, but need to work on choosing a low carb lifestyle as my weight loss is at a complete standstill. What are your thoughts?

Hi. I have never been good at counting anything. I too lost more than a hundred pounds. But after I got pregnant I started eating higher ratio of carbs. What I'm doing at this time is atkins until I at least get back to reaching first for proteins. Hope you find what you are looking for.

myyellowstang 07-18-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmhearts (Post 16519443)
But after I got pregnant I started eating higher ratio of carbs.

I think this statement is key, and you are on the right track with your changes. The body PREFERS to burn carbs (that's why it's the perfect runner's fuel!) and if you feed it carbs carbs carbs all day, no matter how many calories it ends up being, then you are not burning fat. Your body blows through the carb fuel, then craves more so you give it more. The fat stays where it is!

Jesse 07-18-2013 11:26 AM

I am a year out from my VSG surgery and I have to track my food pretty much everyday (although I still am in weight loss mode) If I don't track I don't think I would ever get the right amount of protein in. Left to my own devices, I gravitate towards carbs.. it's not even so much a problem with unhealthy carbs,(although sometimes it is) but I would prefer to eat a peach over protein almost every time. I can still eat the peach, but tracking makes sure I get enough protein too. If I eat 60 gr or more of protein each day, and keep my calories around 900, the carbs and fat fall into acceptable amounts.