Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Reflections on One Year with My Sleeve

In the fall of 2011 I began making plans to go to Italy to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary in August 2012. It was a long saved for and long anticipated trip. Once the real planning began, I realized my enthusiasm wasnít what I would have expected. I began to see the trip, me, miserable with aching feet, looking for benches while my husband climbed hills and towers for a better view. It was the final indignity in a life filled with indignities and limitations due the massive amount of weight I was carrying. So in November 2011, I sat my husband down and asked him how he would feel about postponing the trip until the following summer so I could have weight loss surgery. He responded very positively and seemed relieved. He confessed he worried about me dying young and although it was drastic, he would support it. I was prepared to have to convince him this was a good idea; I think the fact he was onboard immediately showed how concerned he was about my weight. So I went to an informational meeting at the program I selected, and had my first medical visit with them in December. My insurance required the 6 month medically supervised diet, and although I didnít always agree with the nutritionistís advice, overall I found the 6 months to be very helpful. My 6 months was pretty standard, I lost about 9 pounds and did my best to prepare. My clinic did not require a 2 week liquids diet, which I was happy for, but I would have done it if necessary. I feel like they prepared me well, and I am pleased with the aftercare also. I had a bumpy recovery, needed IV fluids on about day 9. My bout with dehydration was really brutal, but that was the worst of it. I was sore for a long time, mourned food, had super tight restriction making it hard to drink, and was incredibly fatigued that first month.

During my misery, I didnít get discouraged, because I had every reason to believe it would get better, and WOW did it ever!!!! I canít begin to list all of the ways my life has improved. Little things (but I guess big things too) kneeling without pain during mass (I know God doesnít care how I pray, but I feel more focused when I can kneel) working in my flower beds without pain, taking the stairs at work, having room in my seat in the tiny auditorium seats where we have our staff meetings, students ( I teach high school) telling me I look ďso cute todayĒ (although 2 boys have said I look ďhotĒ not sure how I feel about that), moving easily between the rows of desks, crossing my legs a hundred times a day ( sil who had a blood clot tells me I need to stop doing this, but I canít, too much fun!) dancing like a fool at weddings, getting up from the couch easily, having a salesperson tell me I needed a smaller size to show off my cute hour glass figure, lowering the tray in my airplane seat, painting my toenails, shopping, shopping, shopping, husband saying he got his 20 something wife back, (actually I'm 50 something ) learning to enjoy working out again .... and freedom, how to describe the freedom? Itís like I got let out of fat prison. I walk around in the world looking like any normal person, free from the physical weight and the weight of judgment from others. When you are morbidly obese, it takes daily courage to go about your life, because even though you know you are loved and valuable, there are times you will endure the looks and comments of others who will try to make you feel, that in fact, you are not. I thought I was living my best life, but it turns out my weight was holding me back in ways I didnít realize. Yes, I am out of fat prison!

I still enjoy food, but not the same way. When we are going somewhere, to dinner at a friends, or out for the night, instead of anticipating what Iíll be eating, my focus is much more on looking forward to socializing or seeing the movie or watching the play etc. The event, not the food, entertains me now. I have so much more energy, and can make plans even on a school night (!) without worrying Iím too tired, I need to rest for tomorrow.... I say ďyes!Ē much more often, to things Iíve always enjoyed and new things I was afraid to try because of my weight.
Iíve tried to establish good habits, tracking what I eat, weighing everyday (a must for me, when Iím not eating well the first thing I do is avoid the scale). Eating protein first, exercising. Itís not always easy, but with my sleeve to help me, it is doable. My restriction is still good; in fact Iím very pleased with it. It limits how much I can eat, but has loosened enough that I can have salad or low carb fruits for snacks now, and still meet my protein goals.

I had my 1 year check up this week. I felt really emotional as I walked into the hospital (my clinic is in the hospital where I had surgery), and realized how profoundly everything changed since surgery. I felt amazed, proud, grateful. Starting weight 293, today 167 (-126) Blood pressure 140/92. Today, 117/70 (no medication). Before: Size 24/3x, today I wore size 10 pants and medium NY & Co shirt. Before, sleep apnea and ungodly snoring (poor husband), today no CPAP, no snoring, usually restful sleep, including dreams. (which I rarely had during the sleep apnea period). Bloodwork good, no trends indicating any problems may be coming. Before BMI + 40, today BMI 28. My clinic encourages people to be between a BMI of 29 Ė 22, so I can safely continue to loss, or if I choose to maintain, I have statistically eliminated health risks associated with weight.

And that trip to Italy for my anniversary ~ I leave Friday.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Jesse--this was very insightful, it brought tears to my eyes as I'm still digesting the changes only being 6 months out. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Loved it.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Thank you for sharing that, Jesse. I'm so very happy for you, and hope you have a great trip!
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
The weight changes your life.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
have a wonderful trip!
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
So very happy for you. Have a memory making trip & Happy anniversary
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: suitebliss
Stats: 350/207/170(mini goal)
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/1/2012
This honestly brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing!
suitebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #8

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I loved reading this. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
In the fall of 2011 I began making plans to go to Italy to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary in August 2012. It was a long saved for and long anticipated trip. Once the real planning began, I realized my enthusiasm wasnít what I would have expected. I began to see the trip, me, miserable with aching feet, looking for benches while my husband climbed hills and towers for a better view. It was the final indignity in a life filled with indignities and limitations due the massive amount of weight I was carrying. So in November 2011, I sat my husband down and asked him how he would feel about postponing the trip until the following summer so I could have weight loss surgery. He responded very positively and seemed relieved. He confessed he worried about me dying young and although it was drastic, he would support it. I was prepared to have to convince him this was a good idea; I think the fact he was onboard immediately showed how concerned he was about my weight. So I went to an informational meeting at the program I selected, and had my first medical visit with them in December. My insurance required the 6 month medically supervised diet, and although I didnít always agree with the nutritionistís advice, overall I found the 6 months to be very helpful. My 6 months was pretty standard, I lost about 9 pounds and did my best to prepare. My clinic did not require a 2 week liquids diet, which I was happy for, but I would have done it if necessary. I feel like they prepared me well, and I am pleased with the aftercare also. I had a bumpy recovery, needed IV fluids on about day 9. My bout with dehydration was really brutal, but that was the worst of it. I was sore for a long time, mourned food, had super tight restriction making it hard to drink, and was incredibly fatigued that first month.

During my misery, I didnít get discouraged, because I had every reason to believe it would get better, and WOW did it ever!!!! I canít begin to list all of the ways my life has improved. Little things (but I guess big things too) kneeling without pain during mass (I know God doesnít care how I pray, but I feel more focused when I can kneel) working in my flower beds without pain, taking the stairs at work, having room in my seat in the tiny auditorium seats where we have our staff meetings, students ( I teach high school) telling me I look ďso cute todayĒ (although 2 boys have said I look ďhotĒ not sure how I feel about that), moving easily between the rows of desks, crossing my legs a hundred times a day ( sil who had a blood clot tells me I need to stop doing this, but I canít, too much fun!) dancing like a fool at weddings, getting up from the couch easily, having a salesperson tell me I needed a smaller size to show off my cute hour glass figure, lowering the tray in my airplane seat, painting my toenails, shopping, shopping, shopping, husband saying he got his 20 something wife back, (actually I'm 50 something ) learning to enjoy working out again .... and freedom, how to describe the freedom? Itís like I got let out of fat prison. I walk around in the world looking like any normal person, free from the physical weight and the weight of judgment from others. When you are morbidly obese, it takes daily courage to go about your life, because even though you know you are loved and valuable, there are times you will endure the looks and comments of others who will try to make you feel, that in fact, you are not. I thought I was living my best life, but it turns out my weight was holding me back in ways I didnít realize. Yes, I am out of fat prison!

I still enjoy food, but not the same way. When we are going somewhere, to dinner at a friends, or out for the night, instead of anticipating what Iíll be eating, my focus is much more on looking forward to socializing or seeing the movie or watching the play etc. The event, not the food, entertains me now. I have so much more energy, and can make plans even on a school night (!) without worrying Iím too tired, I need to rest for tomorrow.... I say ďyes!Ē much more often, to things Iíve always enjoyed and new things I was afraid to try because of my weight.
Iíve tried to establish good habits, tracking what I eat, weighing everyday (a must for me, when Iím not eating well the first thing I do is avoid the scale). Eating protein first, exercising. Itís not always easy, but with my sleeve to help me, it is doable. My restriction is still good; in fact Iím very pleased with it. It limits how much I can eat, but has loosened enough that I can have salad or low carb fruits for snacks now, and still meet my protein goals.

I had my 1 year check up this week. I felt really emotional as I walked into the hospital (my clinic is in the hospital where I had surgery), and realized how profoundly everything changed since surgery. I felt amazed, proud, grateful. Starting weight 293, today 167 (-126) Blood pressure 140/92. Today, 117/70 (no medication). Before: Size 24/3x, today I wore size 10 pants and medium NY & Co shirt. Before, sleep apnea and ungodly snoring (poor husband), today no CPAP, no snoring, usually restful sleep, including dreams. (which I rarely had during the sleep apnea period). Bloodwork good, no trends indicating any problems may be coming. Before BMI + 40, today BMI 28. My clinic encourages people to be between a BMI of 29 Ė 22, so I can safely continue to loss, or if I choose to maintain, I have statistically eliminated health risks associated with weight.

And that trip to Italy for my anniversary ~ I leave Friday.

Beautiful. Thank you so much for that.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
A huge congrats to you, Jesse. I share so many of these experiences - both before and after. I hope your trip is fantastic! You have done amazingly well!! Fantastic!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmhearts
Congratulations. This is beautiful.
jmhearts is offline   Reply With Quote