Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
H&H---only 2 weeks left. Congrats. You'll forget all the illness once you have your little angel.
chewiegand is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #32

Oyy vey---yesterday was not a good day. Dh was called into work 2 hours early, he forgot to call the pool guy---pool is still not working right---he forgot our anniversary(35 years) and I just stewed and said nothing.

Then ds18 mentioned maybe he should go to the local community college because his university classes are 500+ people and I guess, he's finding it much harder than he thought. DS said his grades are not what they should be. He might lose his scholarship. Great. Plus dh is upset about that more than anything so he didn't sleep and got up at 4. He has another 11 hour day and I don't know how he's going to do it. DS is going to the university today and is supposed to see where things stand. He needs a certain gpa and number of credits to keep his scholarship.

Prayers appreciated.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #33

Plus I was so upset, I did not start my 5K program either.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #34

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy and Happy View Post
Hey ladies, just checking in. I'll be 38 wks tomorrow and the nausea/vomiting came back full force in the third trimester. SUPER YUCK. So I have done nothing but lose weight this pregnancy. My mom also was sick during her girl pregnancies so I guess it's a hormonal and genetic thing. It sucks and I long to have an appetite again. And hold my baby girl of course! We're planning another water birth at home like my last one. It was peaceful and relaxing, totally different experience than my hospital births. I'm looking forward to it, lots of contractions already. I'm gonna let her pick her own birthday though!
Icky, but it will all be over soon! With perks and benefits (until she is 13-14 lol!).

I was super sick when I was preggers with my daughter too. Lost weight then only gained 17 pounds total at 9 months. And I was skinny back then too, probably a size 8. I didn't tell anyone (not even parents) I was pregnant until I was 6 months (long story!). I *lived* with them and no one knew. Anyway... french fries were about all I could keep down - and sometimes even THAT was iffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
I had my 6 month wls appt. Down 82 lbs. They were happy and told me to keep doing what I've been doing. I got a B12 shot and they drew blood too. I go back at 9 months in Sept.
Quote:
Oyy vey---yesterday was not a good day. Dh was called into work 2 hours early, he forgot to call the pool guy---pool is still not working right---he forgot our anniversary(35 years) and I just stewed and said nothing.

Then ds18 mentioned maybe he should go to the local community college because his university classes are 500+ people and I guess, he's finding it much harder than he thought. DS said his grades are not what they should be. He might lose his scholarship. Great. Plus dh is upset about that more than anything so he didn't sleep and got up at 4. He has another 11 hour day and I don't know how he's going to do it. DS is going to the university today and is supposed to see where things stand. He needs a certain gpa and number of credits to keep his scholarship.

Prayers appreciated.
It shows that he's concerned since he is looking into it, but if anything at all it will teach him not to wait until the last minute. I hope he doesn't lose anything, but it does seem like the local CC might be a good transition into a bigger college.

Quote:
Plus I was so upset, I did not start my 5K program either.
Just start. Not starting doesn't do anything but make you feel guilty about it anyway. TBH running clears my head and takes away stress, even if just for a little bit. You really do get that "runner's high" that you hear about.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #35

This has been a long morning already!!!! My son, it turns out, had band camp yesterday and today but I had no clue about it. No email. no handout, no postings, nothing. So he missed yesterday. I finally found a vague reference to it on a calendar on the HS page that said it was from 7-5. So he gets up at 6am to shower and await a ride (friend across the streets grandpa). 7am he comes back in and is like... uh mom...

So I throw on some scrubs, flip flops, brush my teeth, etc and run out of the house. Stop for donuts to feed him for breakfast (him, not me lol!). Get there at 7:30 and people are just showing up - it starts at 8! (whew). BUT, the kids are in shorts and tshirts, carrying igloo style water bottle coolers. He has a 16 oz bottle from the donut shop. It's a marching band camp. So... I hurry to the gas station down the road and buy him two HUGE bottles of Smart water because it's the biggest one they had (1.5L) @$3.50 each. Poor thing, hopefully it's only morning camp and he won't burn up. He never really likes to wear shorts anyway, but man, marching band camp in jeans and Converse lol.

Now I'm at work (4 minutes late, was throwing socks and shoes on in the parking lot!) and drinking MY 1.5L bottle of water now.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #36

So, I was on FB yesterday and happened upon a post that a friend commented on for a local CrossFit place. They had a mobile body fat % van there for the day and were doing analysis for $49. So I dropped everything and ran over there. I've always wanted to do that.

Anyway, you wear a swimsuit (or close enough), get in a HUGE tub of water and lay back. There's a bar all the way around, you hook your feet under it, place a weight belt across your middle (to hold you down), and hang on to the bars on the sides. THEN, you blow out all your air until you feel like your lungs will explode and sink your body except for your nose and mouth under the water. The machine reads something, water dispacement, I don't know - there's a moving platform in the tub that you are on - and gives you a ton of data.

I have 21.8% body fat. I did ask about bloating and how that affects results - air floats and registers as fat. Well... I was bloaty yesterday cuz I ate chili with lots of beans for lunch so I'll take it at face value knowing that the number is probably less, but is still a good number.

I have 119 pounds of lean muscle mass. The rest I can get rid of. Recommendation is to GAIN 7 pounds of muscle or LOSE 7 pounds of fat. I should eat 2416 calories a day (uh...) to prevent starvation and fat storage/muscle wasting. They gave me a lot of other data too, well worth the $49.

They're coming back in 90 days to do it again so I'm going to go on a 3 month mission to reduce my bf% by the time they come back. I can do this.

It was awesome, I've always been interested.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #37

Wow- Heather, that sounds cool. Glad you got to do it.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
So... DH and I saw a fertility dr. last week. We had a bunch of tests done. I should be able to call today to see if the results are in but I'm procrastinating. The dr said she doesn't want me doing any intense cardio or anything else that would raise my core body temp too high or bounce around too much while TTC. =( She said yoga and accupuncture instead. But.. But... running in the mountains is free!!
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
I have 21.8% body fat... so I'll take it at face value knowing that the number is probably less, but is still a good number.

I have 119 pounds of lean muscle mass. The rest I can get rid of. Recommendation is to GAIN 7 pounds of muscle or LOSE 7 pounds of fat. I should eat 2416 calories a day (uh...) to prevent starvation and fat storage/muscle wasting. They gave me a lot of other data too, well worth the $49.

They're coming back in 90 days to do it again so I'm going to go on a 3 month mission to reduce my bf% by the time they come back. I can do this.
Wow, 21.8% is amazing, I'm sooo impressed! It's just an example of where I am versus where you are that you are trying to make that number even better! I on the other hand am watching, waiting for my 30.9 to drop to 29.9! And that's just the standard BMI calculation. It has never even occurred to me that it would matter what the EXACT % is, so long as I am a normal weight, healthy and can shop in regular (not plus sized) stores for my clothes, not the largest size either. Did you always feel that way? Maybe when I make it to goal weight my thinking will also shift?

Thank you for sharing!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
Wow, 21.8% is amazing, I'm sooo impressed! It's just an example of where I am versus where you are that you are trying to make that number even better! I on the other hand am watching, waiting for my 30.9 to drop to 29.9! And that's just the standard BMI calculation. It has never even occurred to me that it would matter what the EXACT % is, so long as I am a normal weight, healthy and can shop in regular (not plus sized) stores for my clothes, not the largest size either. Did you always feel that way? Maybe when I make it to goal weight my thinking will also shift?

Thank you for sharing!
I'm aiming for a 16.9 on their readouts. That's what the lose 7 pounds of fat or gain 7 pounds of muscle will get me. I never really thought that way when I was heavier, I thought about weight and scale. It wasn't until I was smaller that I started thinking about composition and measurements that the weight started to matter less. I'm up from what I was at my lowest - about 18 pounds up - so yes some is fat but most is muscle - because I'm still wearing the same size clothes I was then. The fit a little differently in areas, but all fit comfortably with no obscene tightness lol. Just a little rounder in the but and hips when they were saggy there before. So Im okay with that number on the scale having gone up as long as the size stays the same. It gives me a good indicator that weight gain = more muscle than fat and that's okay. It's when I need to BUY BIGGER SIZES that I will start to freak out!

I used to panic over gaining a few ounces eariy out - but I had to develop a different mindset and that's where I am now. Focused more on the composition. It's also when I started ramping up my workouts for *gasp* enjoyment instead of looking at it as a punishment or a means to get skinny. I *am* skinny. Now I want to be FIT. I want someone to look at me and not just see "oh she's skinny" but I want them to look at me and think "d@*& look at that, she's GOT to work out a lot". Show those that still have the "easy way out" mindset that I work a heck of a lot harder than they do.

I look at my size clothes on a hanger and think "holy crap those are tiny they'll never ever ever fit" yet they do. And the exact same clothes that were tiny on the hanger look so BIG when they are on me. So although I've changed my mindset I haven't yet successfully changed my body image issues. I'll get there. I'm *getting* there.

Ironically, my 5'6" size 2/4/small self is a 24.9 on the BMI scale. That's *THE* top limit of normal. 25 is considered overweight. I hold no cred with the BMI scale anymore. I dare anyone to look at me and call me overweight.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #41

Quote:
So... DH and I saw a fertility dr. last week. We had a bunch of tests done. I should be able to call today to see if the results are in but I'm procrastinating. The dr said she doesn't want me doing any intense cardio or anything else that would raise my core body temp too high or bounce around too much while TTC. =( She said yoga and accupuncture instead. But.. But... running in the mountains is free!!
No running? Ack! But I guess for a baby that's acceptable (until they become teenagers!!!!). What if it's cold in the mountains when you run?

Yoga can be free too. Although it can raise your core temp pretty significantly (AND make you a brick house too!). Accupuncture?

Call, the results are probably (fingers crossed) good. And typically, fertility issues resolve with weight loss, especially if you are PCOS. And if they haven't yet, then give it a few more pounds. It'll happen.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Ironically, my 5'6" size 2/4/small self is a 24.9 on the BMI scale. That's *THE* top limit of normal. 25 is considered overweight. I hold no cred with the BMI scale anymore. I dare anyone to look at me and call me overweight.
I can't wait until I am no longer "overweight" according to that darn scale! It's good to know though, that a size 2/4/small is on the edge of normal! Wow... who knew?? Size 2 seems IMPOSSIBLY small to me, when I'm just trying to fit into a size 12 for the first time since high school. :|

When I say healthy, I mean - I want to run a marathon. A half marathon to start, THEN a marathon. And finish in a decent time, not dragging in after dark at the back of the pack

Perhaps when I reach those two goals my thinking will change. I'm sure when I finally DO run a marathon (I'm currently measuring by race size not pant size. Right now I'm a 5K. I'm aiming for 10K, then Half-Marathon. Goal is Marathon) my goal will be to better my time, and being less body-fat would help that.

I also measure in trail rating. Doing the easy 14'ers first. Then the harder ones. Then better my time. Then travel to TRUE 14'ers (i.e... a 14'er on Hawaii is a much harder climb than a 14'er in CO because the starting altitude is at sea level vs. at 5K ft +)

And so on...
Old 06-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Mair
Had my first consult last week. I am thinking I want the sleeve. My husband had the sleeve over a year ago and lost about 100 lbs but all he wants to eat is sweets lately. Anyway, had my first nurtrition consult. Have the Psych next week followed by the upper GI and sleep study. I am praying the money for all these co-pays will be with me and I pray I can pay my portion of the surgery. Its all overwhelming.
Mair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Size 2 seems IMPOSSIBLY small to me, when I'm just trying to fit into a size 12 for the first time since high school. :|

When I say healthy, I mean - I want to run a marathon. A half marathon to start, THEN a marathon. And finish in a decent time, not dragging in after dark at the back of the pack

Perhaps when I reach those two goals my thinking will change. I'm sure when I finally DO run a marathon (I'm currently measuring by race size not pant size. Right now I'm a 5K. I'm aiming for 10K, then Half-Marathon. Goal is Marathon) my goal will be to better my time, and being less body-fat would help that.

I also measure in trail rating. Doing the easy 14'ers first. Then the harder ones. Then better my time. Then travel to TRUE 14'ers (i.e... a 14'er on Hawaii is a much harder climb than a 14'er in CO because the starting altitude is at sea level vs. at 5K ft +)

And so on...
Is 169 your current weight? How tall are you? I'm just curious because I'm 5'6" and (right now) 150 and our sizes are still quite different. You see those pictures where it shows all the women at the same weight but in varying different clothes sizes. Size is such a screwy thing anyway! This is the stage you'll hit where the scale won't seem to move much but the SIZES will. I *FLEW* through the sizes from pretty much 12 to 2. Seriously. There's probably a height difference between us (I think that I remember there being several inches?), but at lower weights the difference between one size and the next could be as little as 2-3 pounds! Seriously!

ANYWAY, my point actually being - you have a healthy attitude about size and exercise and running and all that. I like your measurement system too. You'll find the more you stick with it the smaller the size you'll be anyway, even without the loss on the scale. I hope all that is making sense lol!

I want to come run trails with you.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mair View Post
Had my first consult last week. I am thinking I want the sleeve. My husband had the sleeve over a year ago and lost about 100 lbs but all he wants to eat is sweets lately. Anyway, had my first nurtrition consult. Have the Psych next week followed by the upper GI and sleep study. I am praying the money for all these co-pays will be with me and I pray I can pay my portion of the surgery. Its all overwhelming.
Welcome to the group! I hope that it all works out for you with the copays and all. It is an overwhelming process but it is sooooo worth it in the long run!

Your husband, we all have those struggles. My pre-op vice was sugar. Now I abstain, but I can see the pull. It's so hard to *mentally* fix everything, even after surgery *physically* fixes it!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mair View Post
Hi and welcome. I am just past my 6 month mark with the sleeve and have lost 82 pounds. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. We're here to help if we can.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #47

Although I didn't start the running program, I did 35 minutes of swimming in my pool which amounted to 20 laps. I was beat. I am going to do my bike and do some more laps again today.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #48

Everyone, I just ran into someone I worked with a long time. WOW, I'm surprised by her and I hope it didn't show on my face. It's just a bit of reality that we can lose this battle if we aren't careful. She was always so awesome. Worked out a lot.

She had a lap band years and years ago and I was always impressed by her because she was one of those that seemed to defy the "lap band odds" - you know - lost 100+ pounds and was keeping it off for years. Well, she had issues with it (erosion) and had to have it removed probably a year ago I would say. I haven't really seen her since. I think she's gained at least 60 pounds of it back.

Hits me with the hard fact that changing your habits are key. When I think back to lunchtimes with her she ate like crap, it was just the perfect amount of restriction keeping her thin. French fries (ony) for lunch. About a half serving. Snickers ice cream bar. Stuff like that. We can only get so far on our tools, the hard work is all on us. I can't help but wonder if she had changed her habits and had them ingrained as fact her results might have been different even after the removal.

That's something that I just COULD NOT grasp as an early post op - for probably the first year and a half maybe even 2 years. I was *never* going to be one of those people that regained even an ounce. How could people let themselves do that? How was it even possible on 1/3-1/2 cup of food and 600 calories a day? I was so educated in the knowledge of WLS but so very naive in the experience of it. All that changes, all that HAS changed. Those people that regained, and I ran into another one about a week and a half ago too that's 8 or so years post RNY and plastics that has regained at least 50, something didn't take. I want to ask them if they still work out. I want to ask them if they still follow their rules. I want to use their experience to find out *what* happened and where they felt themselves losing control. Is it that easy to watch the scale go up a pound, a pound, a pound, a pound... until you are 25-40-70 pounds up without taking action? Do you just give up? What happens?

Sorry, just a lot of thinking out loud. I know some of us that are further out are having struggles - this really made me wake up and think. I'm up a few. I watched it happen. Am I going to watch MORE of it happen until I'm just despondent and "one of those" regain statistics?

I don't think so. I think we are all doing awesome, and it's time to push through this struggle and take control - so any suggestions on what we can/need to do?

It's scary seeing the results of so many friends and coworkers years ahead of me in their WLS journey having regained. Honestly, out of everyone I know personally or professionally the percentage who have regained significantly outweighs the percentage who have not. Scary.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #49

Quote:
Although I didn't start the running program, I did 35 minutes of swimming in my pool which amounted to 20 laps. I was beat. I am going to do my bike and do some more laps again today.
Want. Pool.

We've talked about it but we don't want to put any more money into our current house except for upkeep or repairs. We want to be in a different house with more land (and a pool!) hopefully in 5-6 years.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Everyone, I just ran into someone I worked with a long time. WOW, I'm surprised by her and I hope it didn't show on my face. It's just a bit of reality that we can lose this battle if we aren't careful. She was always so awesome. Worked out a lot.

She had a lap band years and years ago and I was always impressed by her because she was one of those that seemed to defy the "lap band odds" - you know - lost 100+ pounds and was keeping it off for years. Well, she had issues with it (erosion) and had to have it removed probably a year ago I would say. I haven't really seen her since. I think she's gained at least 60 pounds of it back.

Hits me with the hard fact that changing your habits are key. When I think back to lunchtimes with her she ate like crap, it was just the perfect amount of restriction keeping her thin. French fries (ony) for lunch. About a half serving. Snickers ice cream bar. Stuff like that. We can only get so far on our tools, the hard work is all on us. I can't help but wonder if she had changed her habits and had them ingrained as fact her results might have been different even after the removal.

That's something that I just COULD NOT grasp as an early post op - for probably the first year and a half maybe even 2 years. I was *never* going to be one of those people that regained even an ounce. How could people let themselves do that? How was it even possible on 1/3-1/2 cup of food and 600 calories a day? I was so educated in the knowledge of WLS but so very naive in the experience of it. All that changes, all that HAS changed. Those people that regained, and I ran into another one about a week and a half ago too that's 8 or so years post RNY and plastics that has regained at least 50, something didn't take. I want to ask them if they still work out. I want to ask them if they still follow their rules. I want to use their experience to find out *what* happened and where they felt themselves losing control. Is it that easy to watch the scale go up a pound, a pound, a pound, a pound... until you are 25-40-70 pounds up without taking action? Do you just give up? What happens?

Sorry, just a lot of thinking out loud. I know some of us that are further out are having struggles - this really made me wake up and think. I'm up a few. I watched it happen. Am I going to watch MORE of it happen until I'm just despondent and "one of those" regain statistics?

I don't think so. I think we are all doing awesome, and it's time to push through this struggle and take control - so any suggestions on what we can/need to do?

It's scary seeing the results of so many friends and coworkers years ahead of me in their WLS journey having regained. Honestly, out of everyone I know personally or professionally the percentage who have regained significantly outweighs the percentage who have not. Scary.
When I decided to have surgery, I was mostly grateful that there was a treatment option for morbid obesity, but a little part of me was ticked off that I had to go to this extreme ~ why couldn't I be metabolically healthy, why couldn't I control myself with food? I have come to accept that this is my disease ~ much like my friend who has type 1 diabetes, who is now in her 80s and still has vision and all her limbs because of her incredible discipline managing her disease. I have to manage my disease. I am not going to be like other people. I am coming to accept that I will not be "cured" and therefore able to do as I please. Despite my friend's lifetime of healthy eating and exercise, her diabetes is not cured, but it is controlled and she has avoided some of the worst consequences. I want to be her. I want to be in my 80s and although I have all the genetic predisposition to be obese, to have managed my disease and maintained health. I guess what I'm taking so long to say is that I am beginning to understand it will always take discipline and I'm just going to have to accept that. Lots of people have to manage a chronic disease, at least I have some good tools to help me with mine.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy and Happy View Post
Hey ladies, just checking in. I'll be 38 wks tomorrow and the nausea/vomiting came back full force in the third trimester. SUPER YUCK. So I have done nothing but lose weight this pregnancy. My mom also was sick during her girl pregnancies so I guess it's a hormonal and genetic thing. It sucks and I long to have an appetite again. And hold my baby girl of course! We're planning another water birth at home like my last one. It was peaceful and relaxing, totally different experience than my hospital births. I'm looking forward to it, lots of contractions already. I'm gonna let her pick her own birthday though!
Oh endless nausea is a special kind of torment. I was sicker with my daughter also. My sympathies. And although it is all worth it, it's still hard to endure some days. Hope your sweetie makes her arrival soon.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

At 2 yrs 4 months post op, I'm doing better than I ever have. But a month or two out from surgery I was testing everything to see how my pouch would react. It seemed almost everything hurt my stomach except slider foods. That is a slippery slope, eating whatever doesn't hurt, regardless of the carb\calorie content. And can I just say... you can eat a LOT of cotton candy without it hurting!! The next thing I knew, I was living on red vines, saltine crackers and gallons of sweet tea. I was still losing so everything was ok right? Until it wasn't ok. Eventually you hit a brick wall. That was 175lbs for me. I was stuck at 175 for a YEAR.
I had a brief moment of clarity last years, I started working out and measuring portions but it was all half-assed. I still drank sweet tea all day and ate a handful of chips for dinner. I climbed my first 14'er and got into that concert t-shirt that looked like a child's t-shirt before surgery but I wasn't losing what I should have been losing. It wasn't until I gained 10lbs at the start of 2013 that I realized for the first time OH, I could gain all of this right back!

My cousin had bypass surgery in 2004 and she did great in the beginning! She went from a size 22 to a size 4. She looked beautiful and fit and it made me want to have the surgery too. But by 2010 when I was getting ready for surgery, she had gained it all back. She drank soda (which even *I* have not done!) and struggled with sugar too. Last year she started working out again and tried briefly to low carb but she has given up again. She said things like "well, I'm a size 16 but that's a normal size for my height". She's not THAT tall, and she's not a 16 anymore either. But she justifies it because she's not drinking or using drugs anymore, which she did a LOT of after her surgery. So I guess you pick your battles, but drugs and alcohol were never my issue, it was ALWAYS food. CARBS.

I hope that when I finally get to my goal weight, I will be a totally different person in my head, not just on the outside. Right now carbs are just poison. I'm allergic. I'm whatever it takes for me to not eat them. And food is not comfort. Food is fuel. I like to imagine a fuel guage for my body. Am I on Empty? Most of all, I really do love intense workouts. The endorphine rush is my new drug of choice. And there is nothing more gratifying than reaching the summit of a mountain and looking down at the valley below where you started from.

I have to stay motivated, I have to stay honest, most of all to myself.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #53

Very good replies everyone. It's a scary place to be, huh. Seeing people further out. Trying to get into our heads (which are still the same pre-op heads - no surgery there!) what needs to change and what can happen. :/
Old 06-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
When I decided to have surgery, I was mostly grateful that there was a treatment option for morbid obesity, but a little part of me was ticked off that I had to go to this extreme ~ why couldn't I be metabolically healthy, why couldn't I control myself with food? I have come to accept that this is my disease ~ much like my friend who has type 1 diabetes, who is now in her 80s and still has vision and all her limbs because of her incredible discipline managing her disease. I have to manage my disease. I am not going to be like other people. I am coming to accept that I will not be "cured" and therefore able to do as I please. Despite my friend's lifetime of healthy eating and exercise, her diabetes is not cured, but it is controlled and she has avoided some of the worst consequences. I want to be her. I want to be in my 80s and although I have all the genetic predisposition to be obese, to have managed my disease and maintained health. I guess what I'm taking so long to say is that I am beginning to understand it will always take discipline and I'm just going to have to accept that. Lots of people have to manage a chronic disease, at least I have some good tools to help me with mine.
I get this and feel the same way. I don't think I'm as acceptable yet of it but I'm getting there.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOE: VSG 10/2011 85 lbs. lost
Thanks ladies, hopefully very soon it will be over and the nausea will be gone and my sweet girl will be here. <3

Some days all I can drink is Sierra Mist and I hate drinking all that sugar. If I'm gonna have sugar I'd much eat it and have chocolate or ice cream. But I can tell when I've had too much, get that yucky dry throat feeling and have to eat some yogurt to combat the sugar nastiness.
Healthy and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Does the carbonation not hurt with VSG as much as it does with RnY? Carbonation is CRAZY painful for me! I'm glad you were able to find something you could keep down at least. I'm excited for your new little one! =)
Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #57

Quote:
Want. Pool.

We've talked about it but we don't want to put any more money into our current house except for upkeep or repairs. We want to be in a different house with more land (and a pool!) hopefully in 5-6 years.
The pool is nice to have with this heat, you have it even hotter in TX but it has been a pain in the a$$. It costs a fortune, all the time, we've had tons of problems not to mention the money it cost to install. I would not have a pool again, not in this lifetime. JMHO
Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #58

I am having such a down week. I'm just back from vacation and it seems like it's the longest week too. Ugh. I have noticed that I have these cyclical moods. I'm in perimenopause, haven't had a period since March. Might even be full meno now but I think I still have pms. I guess it's the hormones and it stinks.

Anyone that's longer term out---if you take antidepressants, did you have to switch them a all? Wondering if I should talk to my dr about it.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #59

Where we all at?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #60

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010