Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: speds
Lap Band Anyone?

I am a firm believer in Low carb living - but like a lot of people - knowing what to do and putting it into constant practice sometimes (ok, lately all of the time) don't "match up".

I'm about 100 lbs overweight (again), a lifelong dieter, had massive success to be followed by massive failure. Frankly, I'm just plain sick of myself.

Lately I've been noodling on the concept of the lap band procedure but it kind of terrifies me. Anyone here have it and have a perspective/experiences they can offer? Resources to refer to?

Thanks in advance!
speds is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
There are some successful and some unsuccessful bandsters here. I think, like with anything else, it all comes down to your level of committment and yes your willpower. Even with WLS you can fail.

Have you explored all your options? The first thing you want to do is to determine your eating habits, your addictions (mine was sugar!) and your pattern of failure.

I did not have a band. I knew that for me it would not be successful in breaking my sugar addiction. Nor would the sleeve, so I went with the RNY. I knew myself well enough to realize that if my tool allowed me to eat sugar without penalty then I eventually would.

If your issue is quantity, meaning you more or less eat the right types of foods - just too much of it - then you will very probably be more successful than average with the band or the sleeve. I knew that how much I ate wasn't the issue, but I would eat candy and soda before I would eat real food.

I do know from observations that you have to change your thinking and your habits just like you would without WLS. You need to develop good habits. You need to eat right. You need to exercise. This is true with any WLS, but seemingly more so with the band. Because all it does is restrict how much you can eat, now what you eat. Those I know that have adopted these habits as life have had greater success than those I know who have relied on the tool to do the work for them. It doesn't, at least not for very long.

Hopefully someone with band experience will come in and post because they can really help you regarding the lap band, a lot more than I can.

Last edited by myyellowstang; 05-16-2013 at 04:09 PM..
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I didn't go with the band for the very same reasons Heather mentioned. I believe you can be successful with any method if you can do what you need to do. A have a friend who has the band, but hasn't managed to lose much with it. I believe the fills and removal of those fills take a while until you reach the right restriction... The other problem (for me) was the ability to continue to eat almost anything without pretty serious consequences.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WannaBSkinnyB
I have Lap Band

I would not recommend Lap Band Surgery. I have had one for 3 years. No weight loss. I have been filled and unfilled at every level. You can still eat what you want. If you want it bad enough you will eat it even if it hurts going down. So this was not a fix for me. Now things hurt going down and I am stuck with this band. Not everything. Just somethings. I wish I never had gotten the surgery.
WannaBSkinnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #5

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
IMO - I would not recommend lap band to anyone. For the most part, the Sleeve has become it's replacement, and for good reason. RNY still stands as the standard for SMO and/or Diabetics.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeattleRadChick
Stats: 262/243/150
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: October 2011
I feel the same way...
SeattleRadChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBSkinnyB View Post
I would not recommend Lap Band Surgery. I have had one for 3 years. No weight loss. I have been filled and unfilled at every level. You can still eat what you want. If you want it bad enough you will eat it even if it hurts going down. So this was not a fix for me. Now things hurt going down and I am stuck with this band. Not everything. Just somethings. I wish I never had gotten the surgery.
Same here. I'm looking into having it removed. 8k down the toilet.

Keep your money and buy the Atkins book then do low carb.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara690
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct,2003 this time around
I am one of those that has the lap band and I love it.Haven't had any complications and the weight loss is steady.
I make healthy food choices and I look at it as a tool not a quick fix.My problem was how much I ate and now my portions are small and I have to really take my time at a meal or I'm very uncomfortable for hours.I still stick to a lower carb way of eating but it doesn't feel like a diet now ,just a way of life.
Barbara690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Hey speds: I concur with Barbara 690. I lost 235 pounds and had her same issues. Do what surgery speaks to you, get the help you need AND NEVER LOOK BACK!!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
I too had LB surg in '04. It took 26 months to lose my 80 lbs (which exactly made up the "50-60% of excess weight" the literature said one could expect, on average. It wasn't easy. To lose anything I had to eat low carb 90% of the time. I don't regret my decision. I paid $19k out of pocket becasue I felt such a hopelessness that I'd ever be healthy. I still have a long way to goal (went from 290 to 210 where I remain nowadays) It's still & probably always will be a struggle but even if I never lose another ounce, I feel so much better inside & out. (by choice I've been "unfilled" with no restriction for the past four years.) Give it plenty of thought as others have mentioned.
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote