LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: awlass
Stats: 385 / 375.8 / 230.2 / 150
WOE: RNY
Start Date: 10/20/11 RNY 05/15/2012
May 14th was my 1st surgiversary

I dont really know what to say here as far as updates, but here's the basics..

May 14th 2012, I was 370.5 lbs. My highest was February 2012, at 386.8 lbs!!
Here I am today, bouncing around 227-232

Yes, I got EVEN BIGGER than this

I may not be able to breathe, but I got them buttoned up!!

I love the new me!

Highest 386/ Pre-op 375.8/Current 215.4/Goal 150
awlass is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Congrats Chewie!

Awlass, you look awesome.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #123
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Happy surgiversary, Awlass---great job.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Yay Chewie! Yay Awlass! Yay everybody else, too!
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #125

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by awlass View Post
May 14th was my 1st surgiversary

I dont really know what to say here as far as updates, but here's the basics..

May 14th 2012, I was 370.5 lbs. My highest was February 2012, at 386.8 lbs!!
Here I am today, bouncing around 227-232

I may not be able to breathe, but I got them buttoned up!!
[/URL]
That's pretty good as far as updates go!

And if you can sit in them, breathe and they don't blow out at the seams - they count!!!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: awlass
Stats: 385 / 375.8 / 230.2 / 150
WOE: RNY
Start Date: 10/20/11 RNY 05/15/2012
hahahaha heather.. i didnt try that.. they gave me one hell of a muffin top that i was NOT having anything to do with ..
awlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #127
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
You have come so far!!! Congrats!!!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #128
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awlass View Post
hahahaha heather.. i didnt try that.. they gave me one hell of a muffin top that i was NOT having anything to do with ..
LOL, I sometimes have what I affectionately call my "back muffin" - a tube of skin that pops over the back of my jeans. I was covering it up with a sweater or something, then one day, I decided "who cares - I'm wearing size 8's, (b-words)s!!! ". It's all in how you look at it
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #129

I can't stand that stuff that pours over jeans. I'd rather go up a size than deal with all that lol. But that's where I am in my head right now. Not that I WANT to go up a size, but it's preferable to muffin top. I think a good fitting outfit looks better no matter the size versus something that's too small and puffing you out all over.

I try to point that out visually to my daughter when we are out, she thinks that the tighter the jeans are the better!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
musings on goal

I am 171, 11 months out from surgery, with a bmi 28, one pound away from my first goal. I picked 170, because at the first informational meeting I went to at my clinic, the surgeon teaching the class said that co-morbidities associated with weight pretty much disappear at a bmi of 29. Sitting there with a 40+ bmi, a bmi of 29 seemed like a dream. So thanks to my sleeve here I am, feeling good that I have improved my possible health outcomes significantly. Now I have to decide what my "looking good" weight goal is going to be. I'm pretty much a size 12 now, and dh says if I never lose another pound it's fine. I am getting weary of the low calories both mentally, and I think physically. I am craving things, not junk but steak and oatmeal (no sugar) and milk. I'm fatigued by mid-day pretty much everyday. When I eat I do perk up for awhile. My restriction continues to be good. I am mulling over upping my calories a bit to 1000. But if I do, will I continue to lose? And how much more should I lose? My surgeon suggested 150, but I'm afraid to pick that number, because what if I can't do it? I don't want to be chasing a goal for the rest of my life that is always out of reach, but I don't want to sell myself short either. The mental part of the journey is as challenging as the physical.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #131

I've been taking the puppy for runs the past two days - which she LOVES! Yesterday I changed, put on my armband for the iphone, plopped in my earbuds and grabbed her leash and pinch collar and she went completely wild with joy. Bouncing, jumping, running to the door and crying to go out already. It took me a good 5-6 minutes to get her settled down and STILL enough to actually get the darn thing on her and over her head.

We had to go out for a run at 4:45 yesterday because I had musical tickets and had to leave by 6:20 to get there on time. So, it was really really freakin' hot!!! We did a mile and a half around the neighborhood and then headed back home to cool off.

If I walk or stop she wants me to keep going! If I get to slow, she wants me to speed up! It's so funny, but it's also a good thing for me. She's a pittie so she can really get going when we run too. She doesn't seem to tire out. I'll bet she'll be doing a full 3 miles with me before long and I can take her to one of those dog friendly 5K's. I'm going to go look some up.

She seems to be calmer the past two days too (might be my imagination?). Now that's motivation right there!!!

Here she is thanking me for running her AND bringing her back home to the AC.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #132

DFW area people - I know there are a lot of us here. Any interest? I'm signing up for this today. For groups of 4 or more it's $5 off the entry ($10 off if you register today only). Arlington at Texas Stadium. September 21 at 7pm.

Looks like a blast!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday I did some of my standing strength exercises in front of a big mirror at my physical therapy appointment. Regarding my question of whether I should make 170 my goal ummmm NO! Damn mirror was kind of brutal and messed with my body image. I'm super happy to be some 120 pounds lighter, but I am not done.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #134

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/155 169.4 VFT!
WOE: Weight loss surgery (VSG) + Low Carb + Exercise
Start Date: 1998; Restart May 2007 @355; WLS March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Yesterday I did some of my standing strength exercises in front of a big mirror at my physical therapy appointment. Regarding my question of whether I should make 170 my goal ummmm NO! Damn mirror was kind of brutal and messed with my body image. I'm super happy to be some 120 pounds lighter, but I am not done.
Remember that the excess skin can make us look and feel fatter than we are. I looked fatter pre-reconstructive surgery than I do now, even though I am a bit heavier now!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #135

Well, the person that I have been sort of and on and off "involved" with for almost 4 years and love very dearly ... I have finally moved on from for real. I am ready for a real relationship. He says he understands. Still tough to do... I'm pretty torn up by it.

The foodie crush I mentioned was a warm up I think haha. Turning 35 made me realize what I want. I am kinda bummed that the foodie crush hasn't asked me out again, I still have a huge crush on him and I haven't had a crush on anyone in a long, long time!!!

So, here it goes.... I am officially on the market lol

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #136

PS I am trying to lose 2 sizes by Christmas! It might sound like a long time to lose two sizes... but I have been in a 12 forever and ever... and this just may be how big I stay... but my surgeon thinks I could lose down to an 8... I think I can too... it just will take some diligence I have let go of.

Dating and trying to lose weight might be a tough combo.

Where did everyone meet their S.O.s? I really have hoped to meet someone special without online dating, but despite the confidence boost of coworkers constantly telling me I look pretty, and smiles at the gas station, no one has actually been single and asked me out.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Savannah
Stats: 307.8/205/175
WOE: VSG 2/27/12 & low carb
Start Date: everyday
I met my hubby through an ad for singles!! Small town local magazine!!
I answered his ad & it was off & running 20 years later we are still best buds!!
Planning our retirement & growing old together

I was about your age when we met & DH & I are about the same age. I'm 3 months older

about the down sizing, I think you have a doable goal there!

I'm working on getting to my goal by the end of summer we will see what happens. I am putting myself on a walk/bike ride plan with some t-tapp thrown in there
Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
PS I am trying to lose 2 sizes by Christmas! It might sound like a long time to lose two sizes... but I have been in a 12 forever and ever... and this just may be how big I stay... but my surgeon thinks I could lose down to an 8... I think I can too... it just will take some diligence I have let go of.

Where did everyone meet their S.O.s? I really have hoped to meet someone special without online dating, but despite the confidence boost of coworkers constantly telling me I look pretty, and smiles at the gas station, no one has actually been single and asked me out.
It's possible that now you have let go of your longtime love, men will sense it. I think when our hearts are elsewhere, we put off a not available vibe even it we don't intend to. I met my husband through a mutual friend my senior year of college ~ it wasn't a fix up or anything, I was leaving my apartment building and he and mutual friend were coming in (mutual friend also lived in the building) and so it began.... So tell your friends you're open to meeting new people I know so many many people who have met their SO through a dating service online. If I were single I think I'd try it. Prepare yourself if you do ~ you are so pretty that you will get flooded with responses, some not the kind you want. Size 12 is nice, but yes, it would seem like there is no reason you couldn't get smaller if you wanted. Or go to Dress Barn ~ I'm wearing size 10 pants from their store right now I am only a size 10 there. But I like it.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
DH and I met when I was 14 and he was 15 at Angel's Stadium in CA. We dated off and on through high school, we both went into fire fighting after school but were in stations hundreds of miles apart. We lost track of each other for a while, then found each other again on Facebook. When we saw each other again, we picked back up like we had never been apart. Luckily he missed out on my serious obesity but he says he would have loved me no matter what weight I was. I wish I could say the same about myself.

You're SOOO pretty, I don't think you will have ANY trouble finding interested men!
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

I have been trail running in the mountains on the weekends and I'm SO excited to be able to start doing serious hikes again. 14'ers are in beta, maybe in another month I can hike my first 14'er of the year WOO HOO!!
This weekend DH and I went to a music festival downtown, we danced for literally 7 hours straight and then walked 4 miles round trip. I can't believe I had the stamina, when we headed out I warned DH I might not be able to do it but I did, it was GREAT!! It was actually DH who ended up limping home, which is a bummer because I was really hoping to go on my first day-hike of the year. It's a grueling 4 hour nearly vertical hike, I absolutely LOOOOVE it!! I don't think his knee will be up for it. =(
Old 05-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Maybe Low Iron?

I have my one year check up on 06/10. For the last few weeks I have been feeling very fatigued. I feel okay when I get up, but by noon I am spent and just have to push through the rest of my day. I am leaving for a 2 week trip June 14th and I don't want to be dragging around Italy. I know I can't reverse anemia immediately (if it is that) but I thought I should get started. I take a sublingual b12, one a day woman's multi vitamin, 2000 vitamin D, my PPI (ratinadol) and 3 calcium supplements. I eat 800-950 calorie, around 75 gr of protein. Should I up my iron? Dietary or supplement or both? Keeping in mind I don't know that I have low iron, but maybe ....
Old 05-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #142
Big Yapper!!!!

At yesterday's WLS Support Group meeting at the hospital, I got a "100 Pound Pin". I'm so happy!

Has anyone heard from Chrissy? I was wondering how she's doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_pin.jpg (42.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post

I've never been one to buy into the fact that your body decides where it wants to be weight wise - I think it's all based on what you do (or not do). Proper eating and regular exercise can get you anywhere. That's not to say that a regular leisurely stroll around the block will get you there, you have to amp up the workouts to find what gets you there. I see no reason at all why you can't be an 8 if you put in the hard work!!

I met my husband at college. He was in the girls' dorm for whatever reason, walked into my room, saw a picture of my dog and said something to the effect of BBQing it or something. Pretty sure there was a party going on that night lol. Our paths crossed quite a lot over the next year and we ran in the same crowd and hung out a lot. There was about 3 years of seperation but eventually we got in contact again and it all worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
I have been trail running in the mountains on the weekends and I'm SO excited to be able to start doing serious hikes again. 14'ers are in beta, maybe in another month I can hike my first 14'er of the year WOO HOO!!
Jealous. I would love to have a mountail trail to run on. I have no idea what a 14'er is. 14 miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I have my one year check up on 06/10. For the last few weeks I have been feeling very fatigued. I feel okay when I get up, but by noon I am spent and just have to push through the rest of my day. I am leaving for a 2 week trip June 14th and I don't want to be dragging around Italy. I know I can't reverse anemia immediately (if it is that) but I thought I should get started. I take a sublingual b12, one a day woman's multi vitamin, 2000 vitamin D, my PPI (ratinadol) and 3 calcium supplements. I eat 800-950 calorie, around 75 gr of protein. Should I up my iron? Dietary or supplement or both? Keeping in mind I don't know that I have low iron, but maybe ....
That's how mine presented. Are you not supplementing with iron at all? Are you menstruating? If so you need at least 36 additional mg of ELEMENTAL iron per day. Read the labels. Sometimes it says something like 350 mg but only gives you about 10-12 elemental. The higher the iron salts the less we can use it. The best kinds are carbonyl and heme. Heme is quite pricey, but is the best at keeping my iron up. I've struggled with iron levels and fatigue many times. If your iron is low, you'll have one set of symptoms. If you are actually anemic then that's a different situation.

Another thing that can cause fatigue is protein. If you aren't getting enough protein to support your body's needs then if will present as fatigue as well. Protein is another thing I battled in my labs. For me, I couldn't stay within a normal lab value range if I ate below 100-120 grams a day. Once I upped to 120-150 things started to stay pretty regular. 75 grams is theoretically enough, on paper, but remember that everyone is different and you need to give your body what IT needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
At yesterday's WLS Support Group meeting at the hospital, I got a "100 Pound Pin". I'm so happy!
That's so cool that they do that!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
It's LAKE season! We made it out to the cabin this past weekend... it was awesome and dusty. I spent my weekend chasing cobwebs, flipping mattresses and cleaning cabinets!

Weightloss wise, just chugging along. I seem to have found my "routine," and I'm happy with it.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
That is SOOO cool!! Congrats!!

I cannot WAIT to hit 100 lbs. I'm deciding what I want to do for myself to celebrate when I get there. I think a brand new wardrobe from Ann Taylor? A shopping spree for hiking gear at Patagonia? Finally pay to have an instructor teach me how to rock climb? A trip someplace where bathings suits are involved?

How did you all celebrate 100lbs down??

A 14'er is a mountain that is 14,000 ft in elevation that you hike from base to summit and there are 54 of them in Colorado. I want to hike every last one of them. So far, 2 down...
Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
A 14'er is a mountain that is 14,000 ft in elevation that you hike from base to summit and there are 54 of them in Colorado. I want to hike every last one of them. So far, 2 down...
Okay, I need to come visit!!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
That's how mine presented. Are you not supplementing with iron at all? Are you menstruating? If so you need at least 36 additional mg of ELEMENTAL iron per day. Read the labels. Sometimes it says something like 350 mg but only gives you about 10-12 elemental. The higher the iron salts the less we can use it. The best kinds are carbonyl and heme. Heme is quite pricey, but is the best at keeping my iron up. I've struggled with iron levels and fatigue many times. If your iron is low, you'll have one set of symptoms. If you are actually anemic then that's a different situation.

Another thing that can cause fatigue is protein. If you aren't getting enough protein to support your body's needs then if will present as fatigue as well. Protein is another thing I battled in my labs. For me, I couldn't stay within a normal lab value range if I ate below 100-120 grams a day. Once I upped to 120-150 things started to stay pretty regular. 75 grams is theoretically enough, on paper, but remember that everyone is different and you need to give your body what IT needs.
I haven't menstruated in 9 years, and previous to surgery had no problems ever with iron and I never took anything, not even a mult vitamin. The vitamin with iron is my only supplement. I will look into carbonyl and heme especially if my iron comes back low. My clinic said they'd put the blood draw orders in now so I can have it done and they will have the results before my visit so we can over them together. Hope to get the blood drawn tomorrow and then I should have the results in a few days.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #148

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Hi peeps, sorry I've been MIA. I had my brother visiting last week which started a downward cycle for me. Not with my eating but of course, my nemesis--exercise or lack of it. This week I'm preparing for a week at the lake vacation--we leave on Saturday and I'm stressing myself out about clothes---everything is too big and food and etc. Today is my younger ds's last day of school and my older ds has been done with his semester a few weeks ago. Both are freshmen-one is h.s. and the older in college. I'm kind of stuck right now at 80 lbs and my 6 month surgiversary is June 3. I go for my 6 month checkup on June 10.

Congrats to all of those with such great losses.

Mary-good luck with finding love and such. Heather--great job running. Gymnopedie--where do you live again? How far is your cabin? Sounds like fun.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Hi peeps, sorry I've been MIA. I had my brother visiting last week which started a downward cycle for me. Not with my eating but of course, my nemesis--exercise or lack of it. This week I'm preparing for a week at the lake vacation--we leave on Saturday and I'm stressing myself out about clothes---everything is too big and food and etc. Today is my younger ds's last day of school and my older ds has been done with his semester a few weeks ago. Both are freshmen-one is h.s. and the older in college. I'm kind of stuck right now at 80 lbs and my 6 month surgiversary is June 3. I go for my 6 month checkup on June 10.

Congrats to all of those with such great losses.

Mary-good luck with finding love and such. Heather--great job running. Gymnopedie--where do you live again? How far is your cabin? Sounds like fun.
I know it's cheesy, and it's cliche but I've found when it comes to exercise you really just have to do it. The only caveat being if it's not something you *LOVE* then it will feel like a chore, you'll resent it, and you'll just stop. So... what do you love? Find new ways to do it. Grow it. Challenge yourself in it. Make it a priority. Make *yourself* a priority. I know it's easy with kids to give up time for yourself because of their things, but that can become an easy excuse to skip working out. I actually have my workouts on my calendar. Everyone in my family and close friends network knows to work around my workouts. Of course I make exceptions for big things, like concerts, meetings, etc. But I don't let the exceptions become the norm. Exercise is no longer the nemesis it was because I changed my approach to it. It didn't change. I did. Super cheesy.

I wore my clothes until they fell off, literally, in the parking lot as I stepped out of the car. I invested in many many belts after that.

By the way, 6 months out was a HUGE stall period for me... then I literally melted after that. I'd say it was at least a month or so stall.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #150

Thanks for the responses, ladies.