Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #91
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
I flew for the second time since my surgery - and the first time since any significant weight loss. My hips didn't touch the arm rests. The tray came down all the way -with much room to spare. I didn't need a belt extender - and pulled a good 8 inches to tighten it up. I had to turn to the window so no one would see the tears in my eyes. And then an airport employee shouted "Hey lady, them's some fine boots!" to me when I walked past him. A good day, despite an hour and a half of delays

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Not sure if this qualifies, but it is a change. The last few days I was thinking why am I getting so many stains on my pants? Then I realized in the past, food never dropped off my fork into my lap; if I spilled something it got caught on my enormous breast shelf. Now it just sails past my boobs and stomach to drop neatly into my lap Luckily I went to Goodwill and stocked up on capris it is much less disheartening if I spill on white capris that cost $2.99 than ones I paid retail for.
You could always put a napkin in your lap!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
You could always put a napkin in your lap!
My Mom and I were just discussing this ~ I have to remember to cover my lap. There's no chance I won't drop food because I am a klutz, so I need to be proactive
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
I flew for the second time since my surgery - and the first time since any significant weight loss. My hips didn't touch the arm rests. The tray came down all the way -with much room to spare. I didn't need a belt extender - and pulled a good 8 inches to tighten it up. I had to turn to the window so no one would see the tears in my eyes. And then an airport employee shouted "Hey lady, them's some fine boots!" to me when I walked past him. A good day, despite an hour and a half of delays
I understand your joy. The last time I flew before my surgery, I had to ask for an extender for the first time, and although the flight attendants were discreet and polite, it was embarassing. The first time I flew at a normal weight was so liberating. It was also the first time I flew SouthWest. I don't know if I would have dared to fly with them before . In fact despite they're being the best price and most convienent times, I'm sure I wouldn't have risked being confronted as an obese person who needs 2 seats.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #95
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I understand your joy. The last time I flew before my surgery, I had to ask for an extender for the first time, and although the flight attendants were discreet and polite, it was embarassing. The first time I flew at a normal weight was so liberating. It was also the first time I flew SouthWest. I don't know if I would have dared to fly with them before . In fact despite they're being the best price and most convienent times, I'm sure I wouldn't have risked being confronted as an obese person who needs 2 seats.
I know what you mean, I felt like a "normie" . The one and only time I asked for an extender, the flight attendant was a total *B* and announced it to the entire plane. So I took it with me! That wasnt' going to happen to me again.
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #96

I should just use a shovel to eat sometimes. Ugh. At least it feels that way. I'm sure if I put everything I ate on a plate it would be a "normal" person's serving... but some nights I just feel like I can't stop shoveling it in... just grazing in and out of the kitchen all night.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #97

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
So on Monday, I made homemade ricotta cheese. Then yesterday made meatballs and fresh made spinach gnocchi. Very, very good and high in protein too. It was a good pasta substitute for my boys and dh. I only ate 2 gnocchi and 2 meatballs but it was very good.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #98

I liked this:
You Know You Are A WLS Patient When…
1.Being a “loser” is a good thing!
2.Your new best friend is Gas-X.
3.You walk by a mirror and say to yourself “who is that?”
4.You can see your feet for the first time in years.
5.You have to prove you are truly the same person pictured on your driver’s license

6.Hitting the “century mark” is a goal and cause for celebration.
7.Someone who hasn’t seen you in a while doesn’t recognize you.
8.“Welcome to the other side” does not mean what it means to most people!
9.Your new clothes fall off in a week.
10.You are on a first name basis with the clerks at Goodwill.
11.You are suddenly not camera shy anymore!
12.You go out on a date and are really truly a “cheap
date”… and not in the way that some may think.
13.Your exercise equipment isn’t just for drying
your fine washables anymore.
14.Instead of the “Wonder Bra” you need a “Wonder Where They Went Bra.”
15.You become a food label aficionado.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #99

A good way to get an idea of what you may have lost.
weight.jpg

And I am 2 lbs away from losing a rotweiller or black lab(can't tell) but almost 80 lbs gone!

Last edited by chewiegand; 05-15-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
So on Monday, I made homemade ricotta cheese. Then yesterday made meatballs and fresh made spinach gnocchi. Very, very good and high in protein too. It was a good pasta substitute for my boys and dh. I only ate 2 gnocchi and 2 meatballs but it was very good.
How do you make the spinach gnocchi and do you use potatoes? It sounds good, but potato products tend to make me hypoglycemic real quick!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #101

Quote:
How do you make the spinach gnocchi and do you use potatoes? It sounds good, but potato products tend to make me hypoglycemic real quick!
No potatoes. I only eat/cook lc. I made homemade ricotta cheese on Monday and then used that to make the spinach gnocchi. You certainly don't have to make the ricotta--just buy it at the store. I didn't do the fresh spinach or use the sage/butter mix at the end cause I served them with meatballs and pasta sauce.

Here's the recipe.

Spinach and Ricotta Gnocchi 6 servings
2 pounds fresh spinach (3 bunches)--I used 16 oz frozen, chopped, cooked
1 (16-ounce) container ricotta cheese
6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 handfuls fresh sage(I didn't use)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot salted water to a boil.
Cut the stems off the spinach, and soak the leaves in the sink. Wash them thoroughly. Add the spinach to the boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove spinach from the water and plunge in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain the spinach very well, and using a clean tea towel, squeeze out the extra water. Chop the leaves very fine. Put the cooked spinach in a large bowl, add the ricotta, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, egg yolks, and season with a couple pinches salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Mix well, and make sure that the ricotta crumbles into fine pieces, and mixes properly with the spinach. Shape the mixture into balls about the size of walnuts.
Lightly butter a 13 by 9-inch casserole dish, lay all the gnocchi in it, and dress it with a few very thin slices butter and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Cook the gnocchi at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes, and then use the broiler for the last 5 minutes to crisp and brown the top of the spinach balls.In a medium skillet, melt the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, and saute the sage until it starts to brown. Serve the gnocchi on a warm plate with more parmesan.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #102

Okay, so that is so not what I was thinking of when I pictured gnocchi. But it sounds good. Kind of like spinach cheese balls. I may have to modify it and try it out, I always have fresh spinach that needs to be used up.

I was imagining the flour/potato stuff that you cut into little bits and boil like pasta. My family might not eat these, but I might. I could always make in small batches. Do they freeze well?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #103

Quote:
Okay, so that is so not what I was thinking of when I pictured gnocchi. But it sounds good. Kind of like spinach cheese balls. I may have to modify it and try it out, I always have fresh spinach that needs to be used up.

I was imagining the flour/potato stuff that you cut into little bits and boil like pasta. My family might not eat these, but I might. I could always make in small batches. Do they freeze well?
I don't know, haven't tried it. There are a few thread in the recipe forum about them and various other kinds.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #104

Alright, halfway mark for the month.

It's time to revisit our monthly goals, see how we are progressing - or in my case NOT progressing - toward them and adjust accordingly!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #105

Quote:
I've decided to approach this a different way this time around. Before I would have several goals that I wanted to achieve that I just really couldn't concentrate on any one of them to get them right. I've made three - a food goal, an exercise goal and a personal goal. Neither should overlap or conflict each other so they should be easy enough to focus on.

Food - my eating is completely messed up. Not so much what I eat, or how much I can eat but more so the WHY I eat. Boredom eating has totally stepped in a lot lately. My food goal is to take a look at my overall eating habits, and when I feel the need to eat evaluate WHY it is I need to eat and if it's attached to hunger. If it's not, then I need to find the why and see if there's something else I can replace that need with.

Exercise - I made a commitment to run every day in May. It was a Facebook challenge/event I stumbled across and I thought it was a good motivator. At least one mile a day, every day - no excuses. Even on days I'm not feeling it a mile is not so overwhelming that I can't spare 10 minutes to go around the block a few times. I'm hoping that once I get my body back into the habit of doing it regularly I can break down the mental "blah" I've had over the last few weeks. I'm sure this is partly related to eating as well... I eat blah therefore I feel blah.

Personal - I made a good dent in my decluttering late last year/early this year but have slacked. It's time to pick a different area of the house and work on that. Be brutal and honest, if it's just being moved around and holds no extreme sentimental value then it needs to go. I'm been much happier in physical spaces with less clutter. The bedroom was a big one. I just owned too much stuff. I've already made a run through of the closet and pulled out two bags of shirts and sweaters for Goodwill.
I'm a slacker on all three accounts. I need to adjust my behavior AND my mindset to get back on track. I ran tuesday and it felt great. I'm going to run tomorrow and I have the 5k Saturday morning. I think I'm going to attempt to find one to register for every month this year. Saturday will be my third this year so I need two more to catch up and then one a month from here on out.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Didn't set any goals for May, so here goes half way through...

-No drinking calories/sugar-no big gulps at 7-11-seriously.
-Starting couch to 5k with my son...he needs to build up his endurance for bball and I told coach we would start
-start body pump class at the y...at least 2 days per week
-Eat more frequently, stay prepared with snacks (quest bars,nuts,beef jerky)
-Weigh weekly, forget daily because I am just not doing it.
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #107

Quote:
Alright, halfway mark for the month.

It's time to revisit our monthly goals, see how we are progressing - or in my case NOT progressing - toward them and adjust accordingly!!!
Not progressing here either. Although I do have to say I have exercise more days than prior challenges, just not every day.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #108

Good morning. My older brother came to visit last night, he's from Boston. He'll be here till Wednesday---my bd! I made gyros--yum, he loved them. Tonight my ds14 has a football scrimmage that I'm taking my brother too. He always visits in the summer so this will be the first time he'll see my ds play. It's the last after school practice/game this year!!!!

I have not gone to any of my ds's games this year at all due to my self image(too fat, depressed, etc) I admit I am nervous about going today. And the stupid scale is taunting me as I am still 1 pound from my goal of having 80 lbs gone this week. GRRRRRRR

And I'm having nightmares and night sweats again. Oh joy! I guess it's just the stress of my brother being here, maybe???
Old 05-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #109
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I'll review my goals later today. For now, my irritation of the day is - unbeknownst to me - as my 15 year old has gotten older I have become more and more STUPID! I had no idea this would happen! Why didn't someone tell me!
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #110

Ugh. Teenagers. Gets worse.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #111

I went to my son's spring football scrimmage last night. I have not gone to a game all this past year due to my weight, self image, etc I was nervous he was going to get hurt as he's a freshman playing with the varsity older boys. I was also nervous about going. Last year before my surgery, I became such a hermit. I never would go out unless absolutely necessary. Then when he had games and stuff that I chose not to go to, I would cry and feel guilty on top of the depression and stuff. It was awful. I'm proud to say I felt pretty good last night. Although I was sitting there with my 140 lb 5'10" older brother who has never had a weight problem so I probably still looked pretty big. Still I went and it is getting better. I mentioned to my brother that it was good not to be the biggest person there and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. Men!!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
I went to my son's spring football scrimmage last night. I have not gone to a game all this past year due to my weight, self image, etc I was nervous he was going to get hurt as he's a freshman playing with the varsity older boys. I was also nervous about going. Last year before my surgery, I became such a hermit. I never would go out unless absolutely necessary. Then when he had games and stuff that I chose not to go to, I would cry and feel guilty on top of the depression and stuff. It was awful. I'm proud to say I felt pretty good last night. Although I was sitting there with my 140 lb 5'10" older brother who has never had a weight problem so I probably still looked pretty big. Still I went and it is getting better. I mentioned to my brother that it was good not to be the biggest person there and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. Men!!!!
Welcome to your new life!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #113

31 hours and counting. I'll sleep well tonight!

My official time for the 5K this morning was 37 minutes and change. Not my best, but not bad considering I was a zombie.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #114

FINALLY----drum roll please----I hit the 80 pound goal.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #115

My brother wanted to take us out for catfish. This was my first "dinner" out. I have been out for apps but never ordered a dinner. I chose scallops and ate 4 plus 1 french fry and a piece of pickle. LOL No problem with the rest of my family eating all the rest.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #116
Blabbermouth!!!

Congrats, Chewy! Also, great job on eating out! It is usually (still) not even a problem now. It really is all about developing good habits early on - they serve you very well as you move along in your future. Way to go!!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Savannah
Stats: 307.8/205/175
WOE: VSG 2/27/12 & low carb
Start Date: everyday
WTG Chewie!! CONGRATS
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

have I already mentioned how MUCH easier it is to shave my legs than it was 120 pounds ago? It is. So much easier.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #119
Blabbermouth!!!

How about trimming your toenails! :P
Old 05-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!