LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #61
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Now the song Peggy sue has earwormed its way into my brain Good thing I like Buddy Holly
One of my new favorites: The salad bar at the grocery store near my house. There are some salad fixins that I only like and if I buy them, peel , chop etc they spoil before I can eat them all. With the salad bar I can put a little bit of this a little bit of that and get a variety of veggies without any waste. And it's cheap! By the time I have assembled my cup or so sized alad I've spent less than $2.00.
I did this for lunch just the other day. My Kroger has a great salad bar, I got turkey, cheese, a couple little tomatoes, a spoon of peas, and squirted a little but of Ranch dressing on it. Yumm!
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
I did this for lunch just the other day. My Kroger has a great salad bar, I got turkey, cheese, a couple little tomatoes, a spoon of peas, and squirted a little but of Ranch dressing on it. Yumm!
Arkansas does not have salad bars in grocery stores. So weird. Guess I was spoiled being from the NE===so close to NY we had everything.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #63

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
thanks! He did many of those early out, the 3 he's ordering for my next appt. are for ones that he had to adjust dosages on for me a while back (he gave me a script for Dry D3, for example. It was up where it needs to be at my last appt., but he wanted to check again). I will be sure to get all of these done.
I got the full gammet every three months the first year and then annually therafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
I was one of those people. I was totally in denial. I even suggested that maybe the surgery wasn't performed correctly or maybe my pouch wasn't as small as other people's. Can you imagine?! What a jerk I was! And the sad part was, I wasn't the only one, so it just reinforced that bad behaviorthinking! I really needed to learn to own my S*&%!!!!

Two + years out I can see how messed up my thinking was and how badly out of control an eating addiction can get. I really don't think people understand the addiction part. Have you ever met an alcoholic who denies or minimizes how much they drink? It's the same thing. They just didn't have the resources available to me that I needed in that program, and I wasn't self aware enough to seek the help I needed outside of the program.

All I can say at this point is THANK GOODNESS I am not in that dark place anymore! All those yucky feelings of chaos and being out of control are gone. But I know how easy it would be to fall back into that place so I have to be very aware. I regret that I didn't take advantage of this tool while the opportunity was there, but it was a tool in another way. It was the knock upside the head that I needed to realize I have a problem with food and I need help.
It's a hard hard thing to get our heads wrapped around what we need to do, especially once we start down that slippery slope! Way to go on getting turned around!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Arkansas does not have salad bars in grocery stores. So weird. Guess I was spoiled being from the NE===so close to NY we had everything.
We don't really here unless you go to a Whole Foods or other same style grocery store.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #65

So, support group. Meh. I'm meh about a lot of things lately. I guess I'm in a funk, which comes from probably self image issues and my eating issues lately.

No fascinating revolations. I really wish they would get a bariatician to come in for a meeting. Basically it was just a line up of "protein" bars and some protein powders and some protein "chips". Basically WLS junk food. I was disappointed.

They had bars chopped up on plates for everyone to sample. Atkins bars, Oh Yeah bars, Premiere protein bars, ThinkThin bars. Click protein, TLS protein, Unjury protein. Kay's Naturals crisps. A few kinds of coconut waters. They were really touting the healing and isotonic properties of coconut water. Saying it was great to drink post op. Um... did we fail to mention the 120 calories PER CAN - two or three of those a day and you are just drinking an extra 350-400 calories! No mention of the fat or sugar alcohols in the bars or the carbs in the crisps. Blah. I came home with nothing new. I really feel bad for the newly post op and those struggling. If I weren't medical, if I hadn't done a ton of research on my own and if I hadn't had such a good rapport with my surgeon to ask and question I'd probably be a lot worse off. The nutritional education they are probably getting is not that comprehensive. I had to keep interrupting to add things - like the sugar alcohols in the bars blowing you up crazy mad or the sugar in one protein bar, cuz that's how I am.

Which brings me to the question of the day.

Do you think you were appropriately prepared for post op life food wise or were there things you wish you had learned?

I felt I was, but not completely because of the program I was in. My surgeon had a "institute" where we sat and learned and physically hands on read labels and etc. He wrote a book with workbook in the back that we had to read and fill out. BUT, if I had not questioned things and taken the rules to heart and done more research on my own I might not be 150 down like I am now (okay, well 140 down right now - ugh). My surgeon suggested at my last visit for me to increase calories. Eat pasta (uh no - that sits like lead in my stomach) or to add Carnation instant breakfast to my milk and protein. Both suggestions against what I feel is good for me. So yeah, they prepared me, but only so far. It was everything else *I* did on my own that *really* helped out. I didn't see that in many of the attendees last night. Of course roughly 1/3 were pre-op and one or two were just supporters.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #66

Did I mention self image issues? I'm skipping acro tonight because I totally feel fat and bloated and don't want my most hated person to see me like this and gloat. Uh, yeah. Total fail I know, but not going this week. I AM going to the two hour workshop tomorrow though.

Thinking mani-pedi today. And a run. I have all the stuff in my car for it.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #67

[QUOTE=myyellowstang;16418381]Which brings me to the question of the day. Do you think you were appropriately prepared for post op life food wise or were there things you wish you had learned? [QUOTE]

Yes and no. I am still pretty new being only 5 months out but I read everything I could get my hands on plus more. I did tons of research and feel I know even more than the wls center's nutritionist, lol. I do not bring things into my house that tempt me and that I shouldn't have. Granted, it is my honeymoon so I guess this is "easy" now for me--maybe more difficult with more time passed. I always go protein first, follow the no drinking rule and get in my water every single day. Following the rules makes it fairly easy and I am losing pretty consistently. I also listen to my body---I do NOT take that last bite if my body says no. Lucky, I have a big dog who is more than happy to help me eat my food.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Did I mention self image issues? I'm skipping acro tonight because I totally feel fat and bloated and don't want my most hated person to see me like this and gloat. Uh, yeah. Total fail I know, but not going this week. I AM going to the two hour workshop tomorrow though.

Thinking mani-pedi today. And a run. I have all the stuff in my car for it.
I so understand this. I have been having an awful emotional roller coaster week. I was the worst I've been since my wls yesterday. Dh was afraid of me. I was afraid of me too. Glad it is passed today---I feel a little better.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
2 days ago was my 6 month mark since surgery, so here's a progress photo I'm down 89 pounds since surgery day.

Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
2 days ago was my 6 month mark since surgery, so here's a progress photo I'm down 89 pounds since surgery day.
Congratulations! =) That's awesome! Cute spring dress too!!
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #71

Julie--you look spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!! KUTGW
Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #72

Beautiful! And I LOVE your dress! Very flattering!!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #73

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Ooo, look at your tiny waist!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #74

So.... um.... anyone ever have a hard time staying on track because you have a crush on a foodie and it's going well? lol
Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
lol Mary - Eat when you're with him then scale way back when you're not... or, if he doesn't mind, just taste his stuff a lot!

I also will still stop when I feel I need to - I have started eating what I call "my perfect bite" early on in my meal - whereas I used to save the best bite for last...

Julie - Congrats! You really do look super! I bet you feel awesome, too!

Heather... I was lucky to have a pretty good nutritionist. Although she isn't as low-carb as I am, she does know how important that is, especially early out. And, when it was time, she discussed more carbs in terms of fruit and an occasional whole grain... She is more about protein shakes or bars early out and then getting off those - so we obviously differ there. I think I was more prepared than many only because I had a better general knowledge about eating - and low-carb eating specifically.

As for my likes - well, for me its mint cookie protein powder (and I also like Isopure), Oikos Key Lime Greek yogurt and Chobani pineapple Greek yogurt... I love to make baked chicken breasts with some mayo and parm cheese on top (the mayo largely melts off...). I also cook the bejeezus out of tougher cuts of meat by using the crock pot. Finally, I love a certain brand of calcium citrate that is cewable and tastes like orange-lemon sweet tarts. It is hard to stop eating them - just like candy. Finally, exercise! I know a lot of people just don't do it - or much of it. I get the time thing...and the needing to watch kids thing, but if there is any way to incorporate a little more exercise into your life, then I say try to do it. It can only help!!

Speaking of vitamins...I am wondering if some symptoms I have might be realted to some deficiency. For the last two weeks or so, I've had a weird ringing in my left ear - usually I only notice it when I'm laying down and its quiet otherwise... Also, I've had a weird radiating kind of burst of headachey-type pain for about a week now. I did sleep really badly the night before this started - as in my head got twisted up against the headboard oddly - guess it could be realted to that,too... Generally, I'm just trying to explain these things, but I will be calling my regular doc next week... I (also) had a pretty close (and a very close friend in high school/early college) friend pass away a week ago tomorrow, from cancer. He had just turned 46. It was quite a shock - last I heard, he had been improving. So, things are all worrying me more these days. It never ends; there's always something to worry about.

Just spent the day (yesterday) walking around an amusement park. I did have a few bites of ice cream, but otherwise stayed on plan. Lunch was bbq, so that wasn't too bad for me (a few bites of bbq chicken, a bite of a rib, and a few bites of plain brisket...). I had several bottles of water, too.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 05-11-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Gorgeous, Julie!
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
So.... um.... anyone ever have a hard time staying on track because you have a crush on a foodie and it's going well? lol
Does he know your nutritional requirements? I mean, not like you had surgery or anything. Everyone I know, especially those I eat out with know how I eat (even if they don't know I had WLS). I am just up front about what I eat and don't eat and they never push me otherwise. They are actually very concerned about picking someplace that I can find something to eat - but I'm usually like "nah, I can adapt!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I also will still stop when I feel I need to - I have started eating what I call "my perfect bite" early on in my meal - whereas I used to save the best bite for last...

Speaking of vitamins...I am wondering if some symptoms I have might be realted to some deficiency. For the last two weeks or so, I've had a weird ringing in my left ear
Oh snap. Totally me. I'd always (and I find myself doing it STILL sometimes) eat my least favorite thing on the plate first. So if I'm stuffed I still want/need/HAVE to eat the rest because it's my fave. I try to eat the opposite now, but I backslide.

Tinnitus - first red flag that immediately comes to mind is b12. What's your most recent level and how long ago was it? What's your supplement?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #78

Quote:
Does he know your nutritional requirements? I mean, not like you had surgery or anything. Everyone I know, especially those I eat out with know how I eat (even if they don't know I had WLS). I am just up front about what I eat and don't eat and they never push me otherwise. They are actually very concerned about picking someplace that I can find something to eat - but I'm usually like "nah, I can adapt!".
Well, I told him that for me, bread and noodles and the like are a treat, not a normal part of my every day diet. I talked about sugar free coffee drinks. I told him about family history of diabetes on both sides. He doesn't push anything at me, he just picks the best places to go and the best food! But the other night, we decided to share appetizers and got garlic edamame, beef wrapped green onion, bacon wrapped asparagus, a shrimp spring roll thingy, and an octopus roll thingy... not too bad at all plan-wise, and super yum.

We've only gone to eat or coffee together 3 or 4 times now, but I could just see how if he is interested in me (I don't honestly know) and we keep spending time together, it can get hard to stay on track with proper eating.

Anyway, i was just wondering if anyone has a S.O. that is a big foodie and if so how do you balance enjoying that with not indulging enough here and there to be a problem.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #79

PS... why is it that pretty much every other guy at work has complimented me on my appearance, my eyes, my fragrance, my clothing, that I don't look my age, etc but have never acted interested, but this guy has never really commented on any of that, but has spent time with me? I don't know if I should take the hanging out as "I'm interested" or if he's just friendly and thinks I am too. Men say women are complicated/confusing/nuts, but in my experience it is just as rare for a guy to just flat out say "I'm interested" unless what he is referring to is sex.

pss... i have let him know in multiple ways that I like him. maybe that is the problem lol
Old 05-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #80

Quote:
We've only gone to eat or coffee together 3 or 4 times now, but I could just see how if he is interested in me (I don't honestly know) and we keep spending time together, it can get hard to stay on track with proper eating.

Anyway, i was just wondering if anyone has a S.O. that is a big foodie and if so how do you balance enjoying that with not indulging enough here and there to be a problem.
Yeah, I can't see as how any of that is anything bad, but I get what you say about if it becomes more frequent. My hubby is not a foodie, but he likes food. ALL of our dates used to revolve around food. All of our surprises (as in bring me home a surprise, or I brought you a surprise) revolved around food. I guess you could say he *might* be a non-typical mini-foodie. He likes to experiment when making dinner. BUT, he knows my requirements. Most of my friends know my requirements, although new friends don't know why. I guess you just have to weigh your options as far as what you eat and when. Is there any way you could try to focus some of your dates around something else besides food? That's what hubby and I had to try to do. He's still a food centered guy, but I'm getting him there.

Quote:
PS... why is it that pretty much every other guy at work has complimented me on my appearance, my eyes, my fragrance, my clothing, that I don't look my age, etc but have never acted interested, but this guy has never really commented on any of that, but has spent time with me? I don't know if I should take the hanging out as "I'm interested" or if he's just friendly and thinks I am too. Men say women are complicated/confusing/nuts, but in my experience it is just as rare for a guy to just flat out say "I'm interested" unless what he is referring to is sex.

pss... i have let him know in multiple ways that I like him. maybe that is the problem lol
Perhaps that's because your appearance doesn't really come into play with him and he's interested in the REAL you - which is infinitely much better.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Savannah
Stats: 307.8/205/175
WOE: VSG 2/27/12 & low carb
Start Date: everyday
Happy Mother's Day Everyone!!

Chewie Thanks for sharing that crust OMG it looks delicious!

Mariposa My DH is a foodie & we used to be big eating buddies. He understands & is supportive of my decision to have surgery. He is diabetic
with a BMI too low to qualify for surgery. He says it is not for him anyway & he could not do the things I need to do to take care of myself & use my tool!
It can be a challange not to overeat my sleeve at times honestly. I will usually just have some of his protein & not eat any of the other stuff. I have on occasion had carb indulgence & felt terrible so I tell him in advance I need
to stay on track. Most times I ask in advance where we are going so I can
psych myself for staying on plan.

For me relationships & food are so closely entangled with the slightest rejection or thought or feeling of it. Anything can set me off on a binge so when people say this is "the easy way out" they are so clueless.
I log everything & allow myself to be human, but not to go crazy!
My DH & I are food & drink buddies so I have made a life changing woe here.

I deal with this daily! Take it easy you have been very successful & know what to do! you CAN do this!!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Tinnitus - first red flag that immediately comes to mind is b12. What's your most recent level and how long ago was it? What's your supplement?

I have to admit...I haven't been taking my vitamins as religiously as I used to. I had some yucky Centrum ones and that started me not taking them... I also have B12 in my fridge (taken sublingually), but haven't been doing that, either. I hope this is what my problems are from... I've started taking everything again and I'll be calling my regular doc (I don't see her often and I know I need to - just that I'm always at some other kind of doctor...) tomorrow to set up an appointment and get this blood work done, too.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #83

Tried the magnesium this weekend. No go, literally lol. I took 1000mg, which is well over the daily dose limit for general supplemental use but maybe it wasn't enough?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #84

Quote:
Tried the magnesium this weekend. No go, literally lol. I took 1000mg, which is well over the daily dose limit for general supplemental use but maybe it wasn't enough?
When I get stuck like that I take 4 tablets which equals 2000 mg. It always works for me.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #85

Quote:
When I get stuck like that I take 4 tablets which equals 2000 mg. It always works for me.
No side effects? Typical adult safe dose is around 350 a day, so I was worried about side effects and heart arythmias with a high dose. Cuz, you know, I think in those terms 24-7 being a nurse lol.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #86

Quote:
Okay, been reading. What TYPE of magnesium is yours? I read with oxide it's the least readily absorbed (and we malabsorb anyway) and with citrate it's the best absorbed and best used for constipation.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #87

Quote:
No side effects? Typical adult safe dose is around 350 a day, so I was worried about side effects and heart arythmias with a high dose. Cuz, you know, I think in those terms 24-7 being a nurse lol.
No side effects for me. I always thought if you took too much of most vitamins, you just excrete the excess out. I know there are ones like A and K that you have to be more careful with though.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #88

Quote:
Okay, been reading. What TYPE of magnesium is yours? I read with oxide it's the least readily absorbed (and we malabsorb anyway) and with citrate it's the best absorbed and best used for constipation.
Oxide. If it's the least absorbable, maybe that's why I had to take so much. I had the sleeve so I don't malabsorb.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #89

Quote:
I always thought if you took too much of most vitamins, you just excrete the excess out.
Some, but definitely not all. And even then they can cause issues. Especially if they need to excreted by the kidneys or act on heart tissue.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
NSV?

Not sure if this qualifies, but it is a change. The last few days I was thinking why am I getting so many stains on my pants? Then I realized in the past, food never dropped off my fork into my lap; if I spilled something it got caught on my enormous breast shelf. Now it just sails past my boobs and stomach to drop neatly into my lap Luckily I went to Goodwill and stocked up on capris it is much less disheartening if I spill on white capris that cost $2.99 than ones I paid retail for.