Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Not fun! I've not dumped since surgery, but I had my gallbladder out about 18 years ago and a high fat meal would have the same effect on me then too. Of course then I still ate it anyway! But I think it's supposed to be tons worse after RNY.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
It actually wasn't that bad for me. Lots of gurgling and an uneasy feeling - especially after my all-walnut lunch, but again, not going to do it again any time soon.
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #33

Oh my gosh. This weekend I hit a VERY unhappy number. Last Saturday I was 145. Yesterday I was 157. Today I am 152. So yeah. Major weight fluctuations. Eating sucks. Lots of processed or high sodium foods. I need to get THAT under control.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

You KNOW it isn't actual weight gained! You do far too much exercising and careful eating for that to happen! I'd put my money on "that time" coming on/being here and/or sodium and water weight... I know it doesn't matter why once you see the number, but it is what it is and what it ISN'T is you messing up...well, not much, I'm sure. Jump back on - you know it is just what we do.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #35

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/155 169.4 VFT!
WOE: Weight loss surgery (VSG) + Low Carb + Exercise
Start Date: 1998; Restart May 2007 @355; WLS March 2010
Today I put music on all day and have been practicing my routine and cleaning / organizing and resting in between since I have had bad allergies or a cold. Anyway, just wanted to say... music makes a difference. Helps me get up and move even if it's just doing things around the house (not walking on a treadmill).
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #36

Fighting the mental urge to get up and eat something. Not hungry. Not especially bored. Just formed a habit I guess. I can afford the calories - I'm under 1000 and my daily "goal" is 1700 - but that's how it started in the first place. Making even, then making allowances, then making excuses. Tomorrow's breakfast and lunch all packed and ready to go. I'll need to throw an apple in there and a blender ball cup in the morning and I'm all set.

Dinner is a different story. I have my cardio class and the puppy has school.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #37

149.6 this morning. I drank a lot of decaf tea yesterday and ate clean. Didn't cave in to the "need" to get up and eat a protein bar or a nsa ice cream sandwich.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
149.6 this morning. I drank a lot of decaf tea yesterday and ate clean. Didn't cave in to the "need" to get up and eat a protein bar or a nsa ice cream sandwich.
That's a pretty big flux over just a few days! It's discouraging, I think, even when you know what it is. Good! I'm glad you dropped that water weight. I bet you feel a lot better!
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
That's a pretty big flux over just a few days! It's discouraging, I think, even when you know what it is. Good! I'm glad you dropped that water weight. I bet you feel a lot better!
Yes, 8 pounds up and down in a matter of two or three days. And I haven't even ahem... "gone" so it wasn't *that*.

I made a pot of beans Friday and I used a different seasoning than I normally do, and I added salt at the end like normal - not considering if the new seasoning had salt in it. But surely it wasn't that much more sodium to cause that much water retention?

I wanted to VOMIT when I saw that 157 on the scale.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
I've been lucky on the flucuations ~ I rarely go up or down more than a pound at a time. My theory is that having no uterus or period seems to make me less likely to retain water. I also don't get those wooshes where I drop a few pounds overnight. I either stay the same or lose 1/2 a pound at a time.

So today I wore my before mentioned size 10 pants to work and a student said Hey Mrs. ____ you're looking hot in those pants. I didn't know how to respond. If this kid was someone who was always saying inappropriate things I would have given him a verbal push back, but this student is such a gentleman, a very religious kid, very sweet. I think it was just a poor choice of words, when he meant to say he thought I looked nice. I've been considering whether I need to talk with him about boundaries, but I've decided he meant no harm. Still very weird. I talked with a co-teacher about this comment in particular and the whole weirdness of not being invisible anymore. I didn't like people just counting me out because I was obese, not valuing me or my input, but I never wanted to be noticed the other way either. Chalk it up to unwelcome male attention when I was young So while it's nice that people think I look good, it's also a little discombobulating. I'm 51, and frankly, no matter how small I got, I figured I'd be invisible in terms of whether I was "hot" or not because of my age if nothing else. Lots of changes to navigate in this journey.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #41

I never fluctuated either until I hit 2 1/2 - 3 years out.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Yup - I was spoiled til about 2 years anyway... Now dealing with the bad habits I allowed to return/appear is a daily struggle!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I was VERY spoiled until after my 2 year mark! I ate complete CRAP for two whole years and still lost weight. Hah! Not anymore! Now I have to be VERY careful about every single bite I eat (no carbs except veggies) and not only that but portion sizes and now, avoid fat and artificial sweeteners...
Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #44

Someone on the newbies introduction thread said she is 7 yrs out and struggling and going to try low carb... I invited her here.... if for nothing else, than to show her she is not alone.

DAILY BATTLE!!!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Minute-to-minute battle...
Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #46

Welcome, I hope you post!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Minute-to-minute battle...
I stand corrected amen to that, sistah!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Today is my 5 month surgiversary---lol. I am down 76 pounds.

Congrats!

Me too, exactly! Nice job, sleve twin!

I finally have made it to ONEderland!!!

I started running again.... and my goal for May is to run 3 times per week.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

WOW that's amazing! 76 lbs in 5 months!! Great job!!

I only lost a total of 70lbs in 2 years (totally *MY* fault), then started gaining 20lbs, now back down almost 10lb. The last six months have been a rollercoaster! I'm so glad to have this battle somewhat in control for now.

The weather has been bad and DH has been sick with the flu but he did go walking with me last night right before it started hailing. I wanted to RUN but I had to take it easy on him. So I HOPPED the whole way instead. I bet I looked like a nutcase LOL. Hopping was a lot better work out than the leisurely stroll DH wanted to take! =)
Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #50

So tomorrow is my WLS support group meeting and the theme is "Favorites". We're supposed to bring our favorites to share. Foods, protein drinks, whatever it is that helps us along. I'm pretty interested to see what people bring to share, and I'm not sure what I'll bring... Some of these meetings have been eye opening and enlightening. It also makes me realize I'm not in a bad place. Not *yet* anyway, but I could be. I see people still well in their honeymoon period not losing, or even gaining, but insisting they aren't breaking the rules. Yet when asked certain questions by the moderator it turns out they are bending them to the point of breaking them. Or some people are just downright ignoring their rules.

It just reinforces in my mind what I need to do and how I need to stay vigilant about things. I can see what happens to me when I slip up even a week or two... if I were to start tossing away rules I've been hard and fast on I can see how much of a disaster things could be.

I also see that I need to restrengthen some of the rules I've gotten pretty lax on... like bread and carb intake. I've gotten a ton better recently. TONS. But they are still easy to go down and I can do a lot of damage with them.

I need to think about what favorites I'm going to bring and share. Most definitely some Mint Cookie Protein for sure. I'll mix up some in a blender ball and dole out little tastes. I'm too addicted to give out WHOLE servings to all 15-20 people, that's almost half the bag - not when it's gone up in price... again.

I'll share if there's anything worthwhile that anyone else brings.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #51

Oh, so where I was initially going with all that is that I thought WE could all come share our favorites here. Something, anything (within the TOS please!) that helps us daily. Our goto favorite snacks. Things. Whatever. It might help someone else.

And another thing we might do... is there anything that you are currently trying to get rid of or replace in your life/meals/etc? Maybe someone has a fix or a suggestion on something to try!!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Heather, could you list the labs that you have done? I have an appt. coming up with my surgeon in June and I want to be sure I know where I stand on stuff - I have come to realize that he's not really ordering much - my lab order for this next appt. is only for D3, B12, and something else (I'm too lazy to go find the order right now), and I think there should be a lot more. If he's not on board, my PCP is, I just need to know what to ask her for. Thanks in advance
Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

My favorites: Mint Cookie Protein (thanks to our pusher, Heather...), Borden Light String Cheese, and Unjury vanilla blended with some coconut milk and a couple of frozen strawberries.
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #54

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I am having a bad week, not so much with my food choices but my emotional health. Yesterday was my mom's bd. She would have been 87 and she's been gone 13 years. Sunday is Mother's day too. Plus I'm super stressed that my older brother is coming next Thursday for a visit. The upstairs of my house looks like the tv show "hoarders." Our master bedroom is on the first floor so I only ever go up there to wake my boys. They are 2 teenage boys. They are the worst slobs/pigs I have ever seen. I am embarrassed. My brother will be sleeping up there. So now, after work, I have to spend every spare moment cleaning. DS14 told me today that my stupid dog even pooped in the spare room and they didn't even bother to pick it up. It is hard to believe!!!! So now besides, taking out what will probably be tons of trash, I have to shampoo the rug. UGH. This is not good. Ok--I'm done whining. Sorry.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

Chewie, my son was (still is?) a slob, too. I completely understand . He's now engaged to a neat-freak. I'm going to pop some popcorn and enjoy the show

Maybe you could have the boys help you? My strategy was "if I do it myself, I have total say over what goes and what stays (and most stuff "went"!).
Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #56

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Allison--thanks. I will not be doing this alone, believe me. They will be doing the bulk of it with me supervising and yelling--probably.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
Heather, could you list the labs that you have done? I have an appt. coming up with my surgeon in June and I want to be sure I know where I stand on stuff - I have come to realize that he's not really ordering much - my lab order for this next appt. is only for D3, B12, and something else (I'm too lazy to go find the order right now), and I think there should be a lot more. If he's not on board, my PCP is, I just need to know what to ask her for. Thanks in advance
That's not near enough!! I have a list in my wallet that I carry around with me so I have it at all appointments. Mine's pretty good about ordering everything though. Only once have I had to question and it was already ordered.

CMP
Lipid profile
CBC with diff
b12
bili-direct
Ferritin
Iron/TIBC
PTH
Magnesium
Folate
Thiamine (b1)
b6
Vitamin E
Vitamin K
Uric acid
Vitamin A
Vitamin D (25 hydroxy)
Zinc
Phosphorus
Copper
Selenium

Now much of the minerals you probably won't need until you are about a year or more out, they won't start showing deficits until then *usually*. However very minimum I'd ask for the CBC, lipids, CBC with diff, b12, Iron/TIBC, PTH, Vit K, Vit D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
I am having a bad week, not so much with my food choices but my emotional health. Yesterday was my mom's bd. She would have been 87 and she's been gone 13 years. Sunday is Mother's day too. Plus I'm super stressed that my older brother is coming next Thursday for a visit. The upstairs of my house looks like the tv show "hoarders." Our master bedroom is on the first floor so I only ever go up there to wake my boys. They are 2 teenage boys. They are the worst slobs/pigs I have ever seen. I am embarrassed. My brother will be sleeping up there. So now, after work, I have to spend every spare moment cleaning. DS14 told me today that my stupid dog even pooped in the spare room and they didn't even bother to pick it up. It is hard to believe!!!! So now besides, taking out what will probably be tons of trash, I have to shampoo the rug. UGH. This is not good. Ok--I'm done whining. Sorry.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Now the song Peggy sue has earwormed its way into my brain Good thing I like Buddy Holly
One of my new favorites: The salad bar at the grocery store near my house. There are some salad fixins that I only like and if I buy them, peel , chop etc they spoil before I can eat them all. With the salad bar I can put a little bit of this a little bit of that and get a variety of veggies without any waste. And it's cheap! By the time I have assembled my cup or so sized alad I've spent less than $2.00.
Jesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
...I see people still well in their honeymoon period not losing, or even gaining, but insisting they aren't breaking the rules.
I was one of those people. I was totally in denial. I even suggested that maybe the surgery wasn't performed correctly or maybe my pouch wasn't as small as other people's. Can you imagine?! What a jerk I was! And the sad part was, I wasn't the only one, so it just reinforced that bad behavior\thinking! I really needed to learn to own my S*&%!!!!

Two + years out I can see how messed up my thinking was and how badly out of control an eating addiction can get. I really don't think people understand the addiction part. Have you ever met an alcoholic who denies or minimizes how much they drink? It's the same thing. They just didn't have the resources available to me that I needed in that program, and I wasn't self aware enough to seek the help I needed outside of the program.

All I can say at this point is THANK GOODNESS I am not in that dark place anymore! All those yucky feelings of chaos and being out of control are gone. But I know how easy it would be to fall back into that place so I have to be very aware. I regret that I didn't take advantage of this tool while the opportunity was there, but it was a tool in another way. It was the knock upside the head that I needed to realize I have a problem with food and I need help.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
That's not near enough!! I have a list in my wallet that I carry around with me so I have it at all appointments. Mine's pretty good about ordering everything though. Only once have I had to question and it was already ordered.

CMP
Lipid profile
CBC with diff
b12
bili-direct
Ferritin
Iron/TIBC
PTH
Magnesium
Folate
Thiamine (b1)
b6
Vitamin E
Vitamin K
Uric acid
Vitamin A
Vitamin D (25 hydroxy)
Zinc
Phosphorus
Copper
Selenium

Now much of the minerals you probably won't need until you are about a year or more out, they won't start showing deficits until then *usually*. However very minimum I'd ask for the CBC, lipids, CBC with diff, b12, Iron/TIBC, PTH, Vit K, Vit D.
thanks! He did many of those early out, the 3 he's ordering for my next appt. are for ones that he had to adjust dosages on for me a while back (he gave me a script for Dry D3, for example. It was up where it needs to be at my last appt., but he wanted to check again). I will be sure to get all of these done.