Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
In a rut, could use some kind words

I've been banded 2 1/2 years. I got within 10 pounds of my goal weight and then regained 15 pounds. With my band I'm either too tight or too loose. When I'm too tight I throw up everything for weeks at a time and my band gets too tight every time my seasonal allergies flare up. My surgeon thinks I have esophageal dilation but doesn't see a need to treat it.

I tried getting a second opinion from a bariatric surgeon and he wanted me to have an upper GI first. I had that done yesterday. The radiologist was concerned because I only drank 2 oz if super thin barium and after 25 minutes most of it was still sitting above my band. He said it all should have gone through in that amount of time.

I get his official report today hopefully. In the meantime I'm worried that something is wrong that can't be fixed or would make me ineligible for a sleeve revision. I also wonder if a sleeve is too drastic of a step but at the same time I've tried keeping this weight off for years on my own and it hasn't worked yet

I'm 5'5". I started out at 232.

I guess I'm just worried about what is wrong with my band. I'm also feeling like a weight loss failure, again

My biggest complaint is that I'm tired of throwing up ALL the time.

Do you guys have that issue with the sleeve?
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
I don't have any advice from you but just wanted to say keep your chin up and I hope you get things sorted!

Gina x
Old 04-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
At the very beginning of starting solid food, I threw up a few times. It was mostly when the protein was dry. Since the rules are no drinking within 1 hour of eating, it was hard for me. This only happend 2 or 3 times and hasn't happened since. Hope you get some answers and can move ahead. You are not a failure, btw. You are doing what you can do right now.
chewiegand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
You're not failing, your band is failing you. Deciding whether to revise to a sleeve or not is not to be entered into lightly... but I will say this, once I got past the first 9 days, I never threw up again. I love my sleeve, it has changes my life for the better in countless ways.

Last edited by Jesse; 05-02-2013 at 03:10 PM..
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Savannah
Stats: 307.8/205/175
WOE: VSG 2/27/12 & low carb
Start Date: everyday
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Hi spoilt 2: I have had the band since 2005 & lost 235 pounds. Vomiting is nearly a daily occurrence. I am dilated, the same way....last year I gained 21 pounds due to frustration at not being able to keep much food down and started eating carbs which are easy for me to digest. I had to go back to the dreaded shakes...after this, I'm now eating an egg for breakfast, a small salad with protein for lunch, and sugar free jello with whipped topping for dessert most days. My caloric intake is 1000 per day & 40 gm carbs. I am sedentary and make excuses on not to exercise....my real problem re: exercise is between my ears.
If you can return to the basic diet and add a couple of new things per day, you may find what food intolerances you have....I was told lunchmeat could be eaten but I hacked that up for 6 yrs. the monotony SUCKS. finally got a pressure cooker and do all of my meat this way and it has saved my life as I thought I was gonna have to eat shakes, soup, & baby food! If this problem continues for you, investigate another avenue for weight loss as to me, if you apply yourself, it shouldn't have to be this difficult for you. My problem is, I am inactive, I love food as an addict does, and am now using this website to create things that I can eat so I can manage this DIABOLO-Devil for the remainder of my life!!! You may also research the carb addicts diet, too. Bottom line is the diet is restrictive, no matter which avenue you choose to pursue, it's the question of the side effects like vomiting, heartburn, etc. I hope you received your reports and some help from the physicians.
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tajasi
Stats: Not ready for that
WOE: Whatever Works for Me
Start Date: 2013
Hope it works out for you. I don't think your consideration of having VSG makes you a failure at all...I think the opposite. WLS is not easy whichever route you take. It sounds like the band is failing you right now. You've got the weight off, the hard part is keeping it off and our heads are programmed to make us happy irregardless of the effects of our happiness makers (food is one of mine...) I'm still working on it. You do whatever YOU need, don't worry about what anyone thinks!
tajasi is offline   Reply With Quote