Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
What are we eating/doing today? April!

Just getting us started on the new month!

I'll come back and post my menu once I get some more water down. I have a few things rolling around in my head that I'd like to concentrate on this month when it comes to my meals and fluids.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #2

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Today will be a busy day for me. My menu:
2 c coffee w/half&half and davinci caramel
B:Premier protein shake
Lrotein shake, 2 deviled eggs
S:cheese stick
D: homemade lc lasagna(made w/deli chicken breast as noodles)
Water: minimum of 80 oz
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
OOPS I posted on the March thread.
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

B - mint cookie protein
L - tomato, cucumber, hb egg, avocado.
s - popcorn darn hospital auxiliary and their darn popcorn machine
D - no idea

Perhaps power yoga tonight, but definitely Insanity Week 1 Day 2. Oh my calves are sore from yesterdays 25 minute workout lol. I wonder how long today's video is!?
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

B- Bariatric Advantage Protein Shake
S - decaf sf suisse mocha
L - about 2oz roast pork and bacon green beans

waiting for my 30 mins to pass to get a big glass of water, I'm so thirsty from that pork!

D - making "crack slaw" tonight, have to try it with all the hype

Going for a brisk walk today after work. Need to get my husband some running shoes before he will run with me again, his feet hurt so bad after Sunday. I might run the stairs again today after work, it will probably do me some good. I have a lot of pent up anger at my mother-in-law today that I need to get out somehow. Punching bag might help!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

Insanity week 1 day 2 done. According to my BodyMedia Fit it was 302 calories burned in 45 minutes. Snap. I was sucking wind, but it felt great!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #7

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
b - coffee protein
l - 2 breakfast sausages with less than an ounce of cheese
d - chicken thigh
s - decaf coffee with half-n-half and vanilla splenda for coffee
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #8

Today is my 4 month surgiversary and I am down 65 pounds. I guess it's working!!!! LOL
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #9

DInner last night was a repeat of lunch, with the addition of 45 calories worth of Bolthouse Farms yogurt cesear dressing. Their yogurt dressing is good, low cal, low fat and they have 4 different kinds I think.

20 oz of water in before breakfast.
B - mint cookie protein
L - tomato, cucumber, avocado, hb egg.
s - mint cookie protein? or an apple with pb
D - no clue! maybe the same as lunch. Maybe chicken, spinach and cottage cheese
s - depends. Maybe a mint cookie protein since I have Insanity to do tonight plus acro yoga.

Activity - just did a (paid) 30 minute "Walk with the Boss" thing at work. Part of the Thrive health initiative. It was 10 laps around which is a mile. So it was more of a leisurely stroll at about 2-2 1/2 miles an hour instead of a workout, but it counts.

Insanity week 1 day 3 - Cardio Power and Resistance (40 minute WORKOUT).

Acroyoga (1 hour)
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Today is my 4 month surgiversary and I am down 65 pounds. I guess it's working!!!! LOL
Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
So far-

B-Quest bar
S-Part of a glazed doughnut
S-Kombucha
D-Deciding now...will report
ANGELFIRE80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abitobeef
B eggs
L decaf coffee
D whopper sorry got a craving
abitobeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
hi abitobeef!
hi everyone!

I was thinking...and I do this, too, but it strikes me as something that maybe we need to consider. My nutritionist told me to stop looking at food as good and bad. In other words, if I do have, say a Whopper (yum!!!) or a donut (YUM!!), while they aren't the healthiest choices, they are what they are, and so I have to remember that to try to maybe balance out what I do eat the rest of that day. Honestly, as much as I used to love a big burger now I might eat a 1/3 or 1/2 of one and I'm done. Not only does it fill me up, but it also gets cold and I lose interest. In any case, I think making good choices most of the time makes those indulgences not as horrendous as you might think. I will say, though, that when you find yourself continuously making those choices it is time to slam on the brakes! I am currently braking hard myself! :P

My other food observations for today:

Olive Garden's Apricot Chicken off their "lighter menu" was not too bad, but nearly as flavorful as I would have liked.

I am getting darn tired of hardboiled eggs!

Exercising makes me feel awesome. I am glad I find time to do it as often as I do, and I am working on making it happen just about daily again. At LEAST 5 times a week.

I still absolutely LOVE mint cookie protein shakes. I have at least half of one each day, and usually a full one. LOVE THEM!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #14

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
b - coffee protein shake with sf white chocolate powder
l - chicken thigh
s - mcdonalds sugar free vanilla iced coffee (I'm moving, I need the boost lol)
d - chicken bacon ranch salad
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #15

HI folks. I did great yesterday. Got all my water in and ate on plan 100%. Woohoo.
Today:
coffee w/caramel davinci & half/half
Premiere choc shake
1egg + 1 pc lc almond butter bread
homemade Asian dumplings & Asian meatballs(2 dumplings + 1 meatball)
80 oz water
Maybe a cut of decaf tea or cocoa
Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I was thinking...and I do this, too, but it strikes me as something that maybe we need to consider. My nutritionist told me to stop looking at food as good and bad. In other words, if I do have, say a Whopper (yum!!!) or a donut (YUM!!), while they aren't the healthiest choices, they are what they are, and so I have to remember that to try to maybe balance out what I do eat the rest of that day.

I still absolutely LOVE mint cookie protein shakes. I have at least half of one each day, and usually a full one. LOVE THEM!
I love them too. I usually have two. Sometimes three if real food doesn't appeal to me. One of them has become breakfast every morning. I think without them my calories wouldn't be where they needed to be. I'd be sitting around 1000, which is seriously not enough for me!

Intriguing thought about the food. I find I *have* to categorize food, maybe not exactly into good and bad but certainly into acceptable, not acceptable and absolutely not. Otherwise I'm sure I'd eat like I did pre-op if my Y would let me (assuming I'd dump, although I really don't know if I do!). I haven't had a whopper or donuts since surgery, but I did have some Sonic tator tots the other day. I got lunch for the kids and made them each "pay" me one. They were okay, but not as great as I remembered. Still ate them though. The balance is a good idea. Used to be if I was on a "diet" and would eat a whopper or a donut I'd say "well, I already screwed up!" and use that as an excuse to eat crap all day - starting over tomorrow. Yeah, it is what it is - good advice! - then move on to the rest of your food choices balancing them out.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #17

Working on water - need to meet the challenge!!!

B - mint cookie protein
L - cucumber slices with pimento cheese, tomato, hb egg.
s - mint cookie? or an apple with pb
D - hmmmm, no idea. Still suck at dinner planning!

Workout - Insanity week 1 day 4. Today's is Cardio Recovery and is 33 minutes long. I'm hopeful that it's not death by insanity like the others were, but I know better lol! It's supposed to be stretching, yoga and deep muscle work. I need that! I was taking the stairs yesterday and was stopped to stretch my calves on the stair step and someone actually stopped to ask me if I was okay and if I was stuck. I was tempted to say yes, I'm THAT freaking sore. I spent about 15 minutes last night rolling the knots out of my calves.

As horrible as I might be making it sound - I'm loving it. So if you have something like it at home (I'm talking to you with the p90x!!!!) just get it out and do it!!! Or at least start it, do what you can, and keep going!!!! It's empowering.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I made some "detox" water yesterday and absolutely loved it. I felt so HYDRATED! =) I'm going to stick with it, it can't be nearly as bad for me as crystal light and it's certainly more thirst quenching.

B- 3 eggs scrambled with 1oz shredded cheese (I haven't eaten it yet but is plan)
L- grilled chicken breast with 1/2 avocado and 2oz cheese
D - not sure yet.

Goal is 50oz water.
Walking with my husband again, 1hr (we stop once to work out on the PhysEd bars)

My weight stayed the same again today. So far only down 3lbs on day 11 induction but my husband said yesterday he could see I had lost a little weight and today I fit into my size 14 slacks for work, so... I don't know. Weird...
Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
I made some "detox" water yesterday and absolutely loved it. I felt so HYDRATED! =) I'm going to stick with it, it can't be nearly as bad for me as crystal light and it's certainly more thirst quenching.

B- 3 eggs scrambled with 1oz shredded cheese (I haven't eaten it yet but is plan)
D - not sure yet.

Goal is 50oz water.
Walking with my husband again, 1hr (we stop once to work out on the PhysEd bars)

My weight stayed the same again today. So far only down 3lbs on day 11 induction but my husband said yesterday he could see I had lost a little weight and today I fit into my size 14 slacks for work, so... I don't know. Weird...
What is detox water?

I recommend upping your water goal. Bare minimum for the general population is 64 oz. Aim for at least that. Because you are a post op WLS patient and on a primarily protein diet I would shoot for even MORE than that. consistently. High protein diets with low fluid intake can be rough on the liver. I'm sorry, I forget what kind of WLS you had, but if it was a RNY then you have even less area that water is absorbed in your colon because of the Y and fluid intake is even more important. I would aim for at least 80 oz, but preferably more.

Just the nurse in me coming out. I tend to do that - on autopilot - sometimes!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #20

Quote:
D - not sure yet.
I see no fluids with your meals! Here's to breaking a habit!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Regarding categorizing food....I have been reading "it starts with food" and now I am finding myself being way more picky about food quality. Not saying I don't eat crap lol but as far as mayo for instance-looking at the ingredients and deciding that I will make my own. The majority of food I use to buy at the grocery store is chemical garbage! It's really disgusting. It's my goal to eat whole, good quality foods 80% of the time. It's a process....but I am making small changes everyday. I went in on a cow with a friend and her mom. Quality-grass fed beef, humanely raised. Tomorrow I get my 1/3 of a hog! Can't wait. We got a whole foods here-finally went and loved it.

Carbohydrates drive insulin, and insulin drives fat-Gary Taubes
ANGELFIRE80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
What is detox water?
someone on another thread here posted it. It's fresh mint, lime and cucumber mashed in a pitcher of water. I have trouble drinking water and am always looking for ways to make the min. amount of water I'm supposed to be drinking. If the water is not revolting, it helps =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
I recommend upping your water goal. Bare minimum for the general population is 64 oz. Just the nurse in me coming out. I tend to do that - on autopilot - sometimes!
Thank you, I appreciate all the feedback on the board, I'm learning a lot! Yes, that is the long term goal. Right now I'm just trying to get to any water, period. I've been at 40oz per day for a week, HUGE accomplishment for me. Now I'm trying to increase again. Baby steps =)
Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE80 View Post
Regarding categorizing food....I have been reading "it starts with food" and now I am finding myself being way more picky about food quality. Not saying I don't eat crap lol but as far as mayo for instance-looking at the ingredients and deciding that I will make my own. The majority of food I use to buy at the grocery store is chemical garbage! It's really disgusting. It's my goal to eat whole, good quality foods 80% of the time. It's a process....but I am making small changes everyday. I went in on a cow with a friend and her mom. Quality-grass fed beef, humanely raised. Tomorrow I get my 1/3 of a hog! Can't wait. We got a whole foods here-finally went and loved it.
There's a lot of merit in eating whole foods. I think that I eat more whole foods than processed foods. If you look at my meals they are lean protein, low fat dairy (which I guess could be processed, but the ingredients list is less full of crap ingredients) and raw veggies. And I feel great when I eat more of this than when I eat more of the carb heavy processed foods. I'll admit an addition to sf candy (omg the gas and bloating!) and I get a craving for salty crunchy that I need to satisfy with potato chips or popcorn - and on those days I don't feel as awesome and invincible.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #24

Quote:
someone on another thread here posted it. It's fresh mint, lime and cucumber mashed in a pitcher of water. I have trouble drinking water and am always looking for ways to make the min. amount of water I'm supposed to be drinking. If the water is not revolting, it helps =)

Thank you, I appreciate all the feedback on the board, I'm learning a lot! Yes, that is the long term goal. Right now I'm just trying to get to any water, period. I've been at 40oz per day for a week, HUGE accomplishment for me. Now I'm trying to increase again. Baby steps =)
Ah-ha! I think I've read about it before. Someone here was drinking it a few months ago but called it "sassy water". Not sure why!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I thought my FULL sensor was broken 2yrs after WLS but I have found it again on Atkins. I'm no longer able to eat the amount of food I was eating before. I stop when I'm no longer hungry, not when I'm so full i'm in pain!!

Fat and protein are not nearly as interesting as all the ways I could get carbs into my stomach. As long as I stay "clean" from sugar, my cravings stay at bay as does my hunger and I stay on plan (and feel GREAT doing it!)

I am now TERRIFIED of eating carbs. This is the first time in my entire life I have felt CALM and AT PEACE with eating food. I don't want this zen moment to go away!

Today -

B - I made 3 scrambled eggs with 1oz cheese and a tsp lc salsa but only ate about 1/2
drank about 20oz of water between B and L
L - I brought a whole boneless skinless chicken breast but only ate about half, with a little melted cheese and a squeeze of lime. I ate 1/2 small avocado which was yummy but I noticed my heart rate went up after that?

I have a lot of leftover lunch to take home tonight.

Last edited by cmcd1070; 04-04-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I saw you were planning to eat eggs and I wondered if I would be able to eat three... Glad you're being satisfied with less. Lately, pushing away from the table is difficult for me... Low-carb really helps. I'm not sure what to tell you about the avacado & your heart rate. I've never heard of that.

Today I was trying to be really careful - and did ok unti lI got home - and even then, well, you'll see - nothing too bad:

1: greek yogurt
2: 1/2 protein shake
3: 2 hardboiled eggs and maybe 1TBS low sugar peanut butter
4: 1/2 protein shake
5: another greek yogurt
6: atkins meal bar - a peanut one
7: a few ounces of asparagus w/ olive oil and a dab of butter, 1oz. sweet potato, and 1oz. london broil
also: currently at about 64 oz water...planning on 2 more 16 oz bottles tonight

comments on my food for today? In a way I think it looks good, but in a way I think it looks like too much... I'm hoping I won't be hungry tonight...if I am I might make a cup of coffee or half a protein shake...

exercise had to be limited today...time constraints and life in general... I walked/jogged a tad over a mile and I did it for about 20 minutes... I plan to make up for this with an additional 20 minutes one day this weekend.

I'm also a lot pickier than I used to be. I don't like things I used to love. And, when I do indulge in something (say for instance, pizza) it had beeter be really good and special or I will say no... I like making as much of my food as I can vs. all the take-out and processed stuff. Not that I don't get that sometimes, but I do try to limit it wayyyy more than I used to. When I think about the food I used to eat - the processed and empty caloried and expensive and just plain bad for me food it makes me cringe!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 04-04-2013 at 04:58 PM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #27

TGIF!!!! Today is sunny FINALLY. It has been raining for the last 2 weeks or so. It's also going to finally be spring and warmer, in the 60s.Woohoo.

Menu:
coffee w/milk & caramel davinci
premiere choc protein shake
1 hb egg
80 oz or more of water
chicken--don't know how I'm cooking it yet & creamed spinach
Maybe a cheese stick if needed
Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #28

Quote:
I thought my FULL sensor was broken 2yrs after WLS but I have found it again on Atkins. I'm no longer able to eat the amount of food I was eating before. I stop when I'm no longer hungry, not when I'm so full i'm in pain!!

Fat and protein are not nearly as interesting as all the ways I could get carbs into my stomach. As long as I stay "clean" from sugar, my cravings stay at bay as does my hunger and I stay on plan (and feel GREAT doing it!)

I ate 1/2 small avocado which was yummy but I noticed my heart rate went up after that?
Avocados are loaded with fat. Good fat, but still fat. Elevated HR is a sign of dumping, perhaps you were pushing your limits with the half of an avocado. I think there are 25 grams in an average one, so you would have consumed about 12 grams in your half. Depending on what you ate with it you could have had too much fat in one sitting (personally 12g in on sitting would be too much for me). Remember, regardless of how far out we are - RNY always malabsorbs fats.

Quote:
I saw you were planning to eat eggs and I wondered if I would be able to eat three...

1: greek yogurt
2: 1/2 protein shake
3: 2 hardboiled eggs and maybe 1TBS low sugar peanut butter
4: 1/2 protein shake
5: another greek yogurt
6: atkins meal bar - a peanut one
7: a few ounces of asparagus w/ olive oil and a dab of butter, 1oz. sweet potato, and 1oz. london broil
also: currently at about 64 oz water...planning on 2 more 16 oz bottles tonight

comments on my food for today? In a way I think it looks good, but in a way I think it looks like too much... I'm hoping I won't be hungry tonight...if I am I might make a cup of coffee or half a protein shake...
Ack, three eggs. I can get in two *almost* if I have a completely empty stomach. Three would cause me to have pain and overstuffing. Especially if they are hardboiled!

Comments... looks low in calories - I'm estimating 1200-1400 depending on the yogurt. High in fat though, but if that doesn't bother you then no biggie. It *looks* like a lot of food because there are 7 "meals" but each meal is relatively small and looks to be around 100-200 calories each.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #29

Quote:
exercise had to be limited today...time constraints and life in general... I walked/jogged a tad over a mile and I did it for about 20 minutes... I plan to make up for this with an additional 20 minutes one day this weekend.
Bank, don't borrow. Try to make it up if you can, but consider it lost and bonus if you get to make it up. Don't beat yourself up over not getting it in.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #30

Ended the day at just under 1600 calories.

Today:

B - mint cookie protein
L - raw spinach, 1.5 oz chicken breast, cucumber, tomato, hb egg, yogurt dressing
s - apple w/pb, maybe mint cookie protein
D - hmmm... no idea!

Workout - Insanity Day 5. I'm afraid to look at what it is... ack! It's "Pure Cardio" and it's 40 minutes.

My workouts have been pretty intense this week. My caloric burn consistently over 2200 a day, my intake consistently around 1600-1700 a day. Yet I've gained a couple of pounds. THAT'S frustrating even though I know with the amount of soreness I feel it's all water and swelling in the muscles. After Insanity and a lil house cleaning last night I layed out on the loveseat watching DVR'd shows with my foam roller and my roller stick beating and rolling out my muscles!!! OMG they felt so awesome. It was a "oh crap that hurts but it's a feel good type of hurt" thing. The I want to cry but don't want to stop feeling.

5k tomorrow morning! Lets hope for warm and dry.