Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #151
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Haha! All my pieces are sore today, especially my legs!!!!

Hit the gym after work and did 2.5 miles on the treadmill. Did a warm up at 4.0 mph, a running warm up at 6.0, then I did some 8.0/4.0 and 8.5/4.0 mph speed sprints followed by a "cool down" (ha!) at 4.0. THEN I went to my Insane Cardio class for 45 minutes of beast workout lol.

I do think I pulled something small in my calf during one of the 8.5 sprints.

I finished the day yesterday at 1191 calories. Too few, but that's what it was.

Today: I left my water bottle at home so I'll have to find one...
B - 0% Fage, frozen cherries, splenda
L - chickpeas, hardboiled egg, cottage cheese, cucumber, snap peas, pepperoncinis and raw spinach.
s - apple with pb or mint cookie protein
D - Something chicken?
s - if I need one... not sure what yet

Workouts:

Power yoga tonight.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
My legs are so sooooore today. All of my leg lifts yesterday increased. In one week I've added 40 pounds to my squats, ouch. My arms are still weaklings.

Today's exercise is just walking. Probably about 6km, but with sore legs I don't see myself doing more than my minimum 10000 steps. Plus I'm crampy, and all out of advil. So about to go walk to the drug store, that should knock out a bunch of steps.

Food wise, shake, shake, chicken breast. Then maybe cheese or cold cuts to reach my 90g protein minimum.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
I'm all out of advil.
I feel you on the sore thing! My whole lower body is talking to me after yesterday's gymnathon. I thought I would be feeling some upper body after the kettle bells, but I'm really not. I must need a heavier weight.

Does your surgeon not stress against NSAIDS post op? I know for RNY it's a little more crucial to avoid because of the blind stomach and the inability to visualize anything in it, but the surgeons around here advise that for all of their WLS types. I know everyone office is different.

I've had ulcers from NSAID use pre-op - migraines - but I was eating them like candy almost every day. I avoid NSAIDS like the plague post op because I know first hand I'm prone to them.

Just curious, I'm like a sponge. I like to absorb all kinds of information on all kinds of things WLS related, especially if it differs from what I've already learned.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, that's a big reason why I chose the sleeve is the ability to still use NSAIDs. I know the potential for ulcers is increased due to the smaller size, but I've never in my life had issues with ulcers, and Advil is the ONLY pain reliever that works on my menstrual cramps. My surgeon said it's OK to take them as long as I don't take them regularly, so taking them for about 1.5-2 days per month is fine, I really only need them for the first few days of my period when the cramping is intense, after that i'm fine. Tylenol does NOTHING for me.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #155

I'm alway interested in hearing what other surgeons have to say about things. Thankfully I don't have to take any pain medicine now, but I used to need it all the time.

I'm finishing the day out at 1189 calories. That's with a last minute protein bar just now.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #156
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Heather - You're right about what you said about protein... When I eat like I was taught I do get full fast. I have been eating some pork and broccoli for lunch for 2 days now (would have eaten all of it over an afternoon a week ago...) and will finish the end of it tomorrow. I am also eating a little fresh pineapple with it...

I walked (fast) for 2.25 miles today, also. I am drinking a lot more water and actually allowing myself to get pretty hungry before I eat something. I am having 2 scoops of mint cookie each day and one scoop of the peach-flavored nectar protein powder, too. I don't like it nearly as much, but for almost the same protein it only has 100 calories (vs. 140) and when I mix it with water I save another 110 calories per cup.

I was 195.9 this morning. I am hoping for 194.something by Thursday or Friday morning.

Hazel - sorry to hear about that pain! I don't use NSAIDS, for the WLS reason in addition to the fact I'm on blood thinners...
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #157

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
B - Chocolate Almond coffee with Half-n-half and Splenda
L - Steak
S - Decaf coffee with half-n-half and splenda
D - couple more bites steak and a bit of squash

Not enough protein!!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #158

10 oz water on the way to work.

B - 0% Fage, splenda, frozen cherries, 13g (1/4 serving) Kashi on top.
L - chicken breast, chickpeas, cottage cheese, pepperoncini, avocado, raw spinach
s - apple w/pb
D - chicken something or same as lunch
s - mint cookie protein if needed

Workout - no acro tonight, it's gone to every two weeks due to attendance I packed a bag for a run at the gym but then left it sitting on the kitchen counter. So... it's cold outside but I may go for a run in the neighborhood instead or run home, grab the bag and head out to the gym.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: younger88
Stats: 232
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4/24/13
HI marypose, i am new today to this site...you look beautiful..i had the surgery in 2005 but started to put the weight back on.....you are an inspiration to start to reduce my carb intake and follow this plan .....thanks younger88
younger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by younger88 View Post
HI marypose, i am new today to this site...you look beautiful..i had the surgery in 2005 but started to put the weight back on.....you are an inspiration to start to reduce my carb intake and follow this plan .....thanks younger88
Welcome! And what kind did you have?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #161

Poor planning today. No planning actually. I have apples and mint cookie protein tossed in my bag.

So last night I ate some protein cereal, something I never ever ever do, but I just did. No rhyme or reason. Just did. Followed by a 2 hour carb coma snoring on the couch. Followed by MORE cereal (lesson learned? No.). Cycle. Cereal is gone. All of it that was opened at least. I'm giving away the other unopened box today hopefully. As long as it's UNopened, I'm okay.

B - mint cookie protein
L - I'll check out the cafeteria, but it's looking like mint cookie protein!
s - apple with pb
D - not entirely sure. Nothing thawed out.
s - if I need one... protein bar or some veggie/hummus maybe

Workout - remembered to bring my workout clothes today! So a run after work. If it's not cold I'll run in the park behind the hospital. If it's chilly I'll hit the gym, same plan. 3 miles.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #162

Operation cafeteria lunch = fail. They had potato soup - hypoglycemia waiting to happen! Meatball soup sounded promising until I opened it and saw a layer of grease at the top - . Salad bar - never a tasty option. Nothing on the grill or the hot line either - burgers, smothered chicken or enchiladas.

So... mint cookie it is. I'll probably have the apple and pb not too long after that, and you might see me cave to the $1 box of popcorn before the day is up too. Lots of free calories to play with today it seems.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would have probably done the burger and just eaten the patty. Then again I'm not sure exactly how greasy that sucker was

What am I doing today? As little as possible! I'm having a way lazy feeling day. I need to get up and of my tush. So not motivated. Thinking I should go walk to the grocery store, pick up something to make tonight, then go get my kids. That should be decent walking. My legs are sore today, yesterday was a weight training day and I added deadlifts and calf raises to my routine. Probably a bad idea to do calf raises RIGHT before I walk home. I think I almost fell down the stairs. Next time, i'll probably do them earlier in the workout or make sure to cool down at the gym for 10-15 minutes before leaving.

I've also been thinking of adding something to my weekly routine. On the way to the gym I walked in front of a Karate dojo and they were doing a class. They had some quite overweight people in there so I think I wouldn't feel too strange doing it. I think Karate might be really beneficial to me, for stability, balance, stress relief, strength building etc. I'm just not sure about it, I mean, isn't it kind of... public? I mean to get new belts you have to do your katas or whatever in front of everyone. I'm a pretty shy person. I've also been debating yoga. Again, not sure if my weight would be a hindrance. I still need to lose 80 pounds.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #164

Quote:
I would have probably done the burger and just eaten the patty. Then again I'm not sure exactly how greasy that sucker was

What am I doing today? As little as possible! I'm having a way lazy feeling day. I need to get up and of my tush. So not motivated. Thinking I should go walk to the grocery store, pick up something to make tonight, then go get my kids. That should be decent walking. My legs are sore today, yesterday was a weight training day and I added deadlifts and calf raises to my routine. Probably a bad idea to do calf raises RIGHT before I walk home. I think I almost fell down the stairs. Next time, i'll probably do them earlier in the workout or make sure to cool down at the gym for 10-15 minutes before leaving.

I've also been thinking of adding something to my weekly routine. On the way to the gym I walked in front of a Karate dojo and they were doing a class. They had some quite overweight people in there so I think I wouldn't feel too strange doing it. I think Karate might be really beneficial to me, for stability, balance, stress relief, strength building etc. I'm just not sure about it, I mean, isn't it kind of... public? I mean to get new belts you have to do your katas or whatever in front of everyone. I'm a pretty shy person. I've also been debating yoga. Again, not sure if my weight would be a hindrance. I still need to lose 80 pounds.
The burgers = no. They're probably 80% lean, meaning 20% fat. Ick. And they griddle them so they're fried. Pre-fried. Then left soaking in hot water to keep them moist during lunch. Once you order them they toss them back out on the griddle for a re-fry. They have some sort of artificial smoke taste to them. Couldn't stomach them before, sure can't now.

Yoga = yes. Your weight should not be a hinderance. I see all body types in my classes, and modifications are always available. So many different levels even in the advanced classes. Start with a basic or beginners series, come a little earlier to discuss your concerns with the instructor - and DON'T set up in the back row. Choose the middle so you can see other in upward and downward facing poses to make sure you are following along.

And TNH, the only time I notice what someone else is doing on their mat is when I have to look around to make sure I'm on the correct leg or doing the right pose. Most of the time I'm too busy trying to focus on balancing that I don't have TIME to watch other people.

All of my toning and muscle has come from yoga. I do yoga and cardio/plyometrics. I very rarely lift unless my Insane Cardio class uses light weights or kettlebells. No machines for me. I gots all my guns from yoga.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #165
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
And if anyone I know has guns, it is Heather! I have only gone to a few yoga classes, but I liked it a lot and there are all kinds of people there largely focused on their own experience. You can do as much or as little as you can. I was still sore and tight from my arms surgery, so I was limited. It is all good, though, and I plan on trying another class again soon.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #166

Yoga guns. This is back in January. Excuse the workout hair.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #167

Okay, three mile run after work today. Changed in the bathroom at the hospital, drove immediately to the park behind the hospital and just ran a mile and a half out, turned around and ran back. I did walk some. It was pretty humid. 37 minutes, not too bad for running and walking outside. Stopped and took some pretty pictures too at about halfway. 312 calories burned in just over a half hour.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How do you not have saggy batwings after losing 150 pounds! Jealous!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #169

Haha! I filled them back up with the good stuff.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Do you know what your body fat % is, it must be fairly low to have that much definition. Do you show abs too?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #171

Quote:
Do you know what your body fat % is, it must be fairly low to have that much definition. Do you show abs too?
Depending on hydration status I've seen it anywhere from 4.8% to 14.6%. The electrical body fat scale (my Withings for example) will show you at a higher body fat % when you are dehydrated. Which I most likely am lately since I've totally slacked on drinking water and am instead drinking lots of iced tea. I think I'm going to drink a ton of water today and see what the reading is tomorrow morning if it's any different. I've read some articles about it, but I'm still not completely sure I understand it. I just know better hydration = lower body fat readings.

I'm attaching a graph from my Withings account that shows my BF%. The light shaded area is the normal range for an average healthy female.

As far as abs... . They're there. You can see them. When I flex them they are hard as a rock. They're just covered in a not so pretty layer of saggy skin. I was your stereotypical apple shape - a lot of my weight in my stomach. After a tummy tuck though - watch out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Body Fat.jpg (31.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Makes sense since fluids would count as lean body mass, so if you're dehydrated you'd have less lean body mass and a higher % of body fat accordingly.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #173

Quote:
Makes sense since fluids would count as lean body mass, so if you're dehydrated you'd have less lean body mass and a higher % of body fat accordingly.
You know, that's a good way to put it. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #174

Today - kinda an off Saturday. Kinda. All weekends seem to be off though really.

B - mint cookie protein on the way to and during power yoga.
s - Starbucks - venti skinny decaf cinnamon dolce latte
L - pink lady apple, sf vanilla pudding cup

now - Sonic diet green tea

Yoga this morning and an acro demo in the park afterwards.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #175

OK, so on Thursday I had a coffee date with a coworker... I was force fed delicious garlic bread, sea salt coffee, and a little pastry thingy. Guess what happened afterwards? Yup, I fell off the wagon ... ug.

OK so I wasn't force fed, but this bakery/cafe is one I read about in the newspaper and the article said that this place is yelped about more than disney land. And my coworker bought the pastries and coffee for me without me asking.... I thought he was getting it for himself.... I did comment the garlic bread looked good but I didn't mean "buy it for me" lol

Well, I still need to learn how to have a treat without falling off the wagon for 48 hours (or more).

Today will be better!!!

Coffee/chocolate protein/coconut milk shake
Green Beans and Ham
Steak and Asparagus

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #176

Sea salt coffee? What is that?
Old 04-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #177

Heather it was iced coffee with cream and sugar with just a bit of sea salt to compliment the sweet taste .... similar concept to salted hot chocolate (starbucks)
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #178

Okay! I was envisioning coffee brewed with salt water! Ick!

I used to like making protein salted caramel hot chocolate, probably very much like that too. That was pretty good!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #179

Yesterday = fail. I ate like the world was ending last night well into the late night. I was up until 3ish watching movies and reading. I can feel the fluid retention today!!! Today, fluid push, a good run, and better eating. Also lots of laundry to wash and a general overall clean of the house. I've been slacking on that - and no one else lifts a finger around here. It looks like a laundry bomb blew up in the living room!

I have no plan for eating, which could be bad. But since I'm pushing fluids I'm going to start the day off with a mint cookie protein for breakfast so I can get right on the water afterward without waiting.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #180

Heather what do you use for the caramel? I imagine the rest is sea salt and sugar free hot cocoa (packet)?

B - Large SF vanilla iced coffee and sausage patties with cheese
L - left over asparagus and steak
D - I have two artichokes I need to cook up... maybe 1/2 artichoke and ham? I didn't eat the ham yesterday

I am going to also put some cream of chicken and mushroom soup and a three or four chicken thighs in the crock pot to have ready to eat during the week.