Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
So far I've been good at not allowing myself to ever go above 800 cals per day, and I DO log everything I put in my mouth, so that does kind of put a limit on the amount of snack I could do. I do try to keep my cals around 600-700 range though, which with the one snack I usually end up at about 650 cals. I know that one snack could easily turn into two snacks etc, but it's such a fine line between denying it completely and potentially triggering a binge, and allowing myself a small snack to keep feeling satisfied without that snack getting out of control. I go by grams, so I measure out 20 grams of snack and put that into a bowl, and put the rest away. So there's not really an issue of 20 grams becoming 25 grams because I measure it before I eat it, not while I'm eating it. If I just grabbed it out of the bag and ate it I'm sure I'd eat the whole bag, so I measure everything and portion it out into snack ziploc bags or bowls. I need to try to wean off of them and get something else as a snack, maybe green seedless grapes, or cherries. I mean they'd be more carby but also less calories and healthier.
Good ideas, and definitely something to put in place when you are early out. The slippery slope I was referring to didn't happen in a matter of days like my example. Remember I'm three years out. I had zero hunger for easily the first two and a half, but now what satisfied me at 6 months doesn't cut it. The carby snacks I justified then at smaller portions don't cut it now. So yes, absolutely start weaning them off now for something else! When hunger returns, and it will eventually, that's when the slide happens. In hindsight, I'd never have started allowing myself that bit of popcorn. Or those two or three potato chips. That slice of sourdough.

I portion my food like a fiend. But the further out you get the more your portions become, out of necessity. Making them better foods versus carby crap earlier out - super awesome. I totally wish I'd done that so do it asap!

Portion size changes as you get further out - I started out with 2 oz of greek yogurt with fruit, now I'm at 6 oz and that seems to be my capacity now. It's not a stretching thing, it's just a nature of the beast thing. It doesn't always stay at 600-700 calories although I lived there a VERY long time. I miss those days!

There are those things though that set up cravings and if they were there - I ate them just to eat them. Damn nsa oatmeal raisin cookies!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #122

It's about to get real hard for me in the emotional eating area. I'm struggling so hard with my daughter and her ideas of normal teenage behavior. She's 18. Evidently normal teenage behavior includes excessive drinking, partying, promiscuity, staying out all night. Grounding doesn't work. She has no car - that's parked and I'm not fixing it. She has no money - she gets not a penny from me unless it's school or graduation related and that comes in the form of a check made out to the school.

If you pray - she could use them. I just need her to stay safe and alive until the stupid wears off.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #123

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Praying for you and your dd, Heather. Sorry it's so hard with her. Teenagers can really push our limits. I have 2 but so far, not too much trouble, I pray that continues too.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #124

2.5 miles of interval speed sprints at the gym. Followed by an insane cardio class. Super burn. Loved it. Dinner was raw spinach, snap peas, chickpeas, pepperoncinis, cottage cheese, cucumbers, a laughing cow wedge and a hardboiled egg. All in a bowl mixed together like a salad. A whole whopping 280 calories. That puts me just under 1000 for the day which isn't acceptable. I'll add a mint cookie protein drink here in a bit.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #125
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Heather - hope things with your daughter smooth out soon.

Your workouts are amazing. You are doing really well!

Thanks for contacting me!
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #126

Okay, protein is in. Grand total for the day is 1191, which is about all I'm getting in me today, 113 grams of protein. Not bad for a meatless monday. According to my tracker, with my self set daily calorie goal of 1700 and an exercise "credit" of 452 calories I'm 961 calories in the deficit. Which is almost exactly what my BodyMedia tells me.

Why can't every day work out like this? I could have used about 300 more calories but that's because it was a vegetarian day. If I'd have had meat I think I would have ended about 1400-1500.

Easy enough when I try, right?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #127

145 today. Continuing to trend downward.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOE: VSG 10/2011 85 lbs. lost
Hi ladies!

I am 31 wks pregnant tomorrow and it's to the point where I literally have to eat protein every hour thru the day to keep from feeling sick, and when I get up at night to go to the bathroom I eat a few nuts to keep my blood sugar from dropping. It drops so fast now and then I will feel like total crap. I can honestly say I'm sick and tired of eating, it is not fun anymore AT ALL! I keep relying on a pack of peanuts or cheese stick and that is getting so old. I need new protein ideas!
Healthy and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: awlass
Stats: 385 / 375.8 / 230.2 / 150
WOE: RNY
Start Date: 10/20/11 RNY 05/15/2012
Thanks heather and mary!
H&H I didnt realize you were so far along!! wow!! I hope all is going well for you besides your hatred of eating now..

Today I finally figured out why Ive been feeling like Im bloody starving all day long.. Back when I was going to the gym all of the time, after a good hard workout, Id get ravenous.. Its the only time I actually felt "hungry" rather than just feeling that my stomach was empty.. you know? Well, in the last month and a half or so, Ive been constantly starving.. I could eat and feel full to my gills, but still feel starving.. Today i realized that it all started when I picked up my 2nd job and started working myself to exhaustion nearly every day.. The days that I get enough rest and enough sleep, I dont have any hunger again.. Man... I wish I could afford to stop working so much >_<"

Highest 386/ Pre-op 375.8/Current 215.4/Goal 150
awlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #130

Hi all. I've been having a problem eating and it's mainly at lunch time. I start eating and after one or two bites, I start not feeling well. Today I tried a fried egg and it was fine. Maybe I need to lighten up my lunches??? I usually just have leftovers---a piece of protein and a little veggie. I guess it's eggs for lunch for a while.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Hi all. I've been having a problem eating and it's mainly at lunch time. I start eating and after one or two bites, I start not feeling well. Today I tried a fried egg and it was fine. Maybe I need to lighten up my lunches??? I usually just have leftovers---a piece of protein and a little veggie. I guess it's eggs for lunch for a while.
What have you been trying?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I need to get under control too. What can we do about it? We need to support each other and just get this done. Remove the crap. YES it was so much easier to not eat the stuff when we didn't ever eat the stuff!!!! What happened along the way?

I need to take a good long look at what's come back in my life that I don't want there anymore. And what's left that I need to find again. I think I'm going to work on that the remainder of the week and come back Monday and reform some goals. I'm totally failing on this week's challenge by the way. Totally. I also haven't been working out as much. Enough of that too

Heather - I am all for helping one another. As you may have read on the other thread, I am now at 198 - up from 183. I am DONE with excuses and "I'll start fresh tomorrow," etc... I never had an all-out food fest, but slowly I went from strict and diligent to sloppy. Same with exercise. I used to get up at 5AM if I needed to in order to make sure I walked/worked out at least 5 times a week. Now I am still up around 4 times a week...but it needs to be 5 or 6, not 3 or 4. I have done well the last 3 days, and I hope to see a loss again tomorrow. I was 199... today I'm 198.3. I am GOING to get back down to 183 (182 is my first goal) and then I WILL get to my original goal of 174. My goal for 182 is June 12th. That's doable, but I know it will be difficult for me. Remember that honeymoon period when we could lose that in a month without exercising? Ahhhh, the good old days. As it is, I think it will take me every single day to do this...but I WILL!! Heather - what kind of goals did you end up with? Anyone else want to chime in what they plan to do? We all need to share any aces we have up our sleeves...
HT-you can do it. I am up to 199 myself
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #133
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Angel! You can do it, too!! I am eating much better and I am holding steady today at 195.9... I'm hoping for 193.9 by Monday morning... Today I didn't give into temptation and it was a day FULL of it! I said no to: thin mint cookies, starburst candies, toast, cinnamon rolls, pizza rolls, and cake (throughout the whole day & out of order...). I did eat:

2 scoops mint cookie protein shake with 1% milk
1 scoop nectar protein fruity drink
chobani yogurt with 1/4 c fresh pineapple
3oz pork, 3 pieces broccoli, and 1/4 c fresh pineapple
an atkins meal replacement bar
3 oz roast beef, 1/4 C gravy, and 1/3 c green beans
1/2 C chobani yogurt for a snack
and LOTS of WATER!!!
- but I did have 2 cups of coffee today with sf creamer...
Any comments on what I might do to improve things? I wouldn't normally have had the roast beef dinner - it was at a banquet...I did avoid the roll, the cake, and all but a little taste of the mashed potatoes...
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 04-24-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Melodye
Stats: 209/199/160
WOE: WW
Start Date: January 2, 2014
I weighed in at 195 this morning. I am glad to see the scales moving down. I am on my last day of the 5 day pouch test. I think it was good for me. Now to continue eating like I use to when I first had my surgery. I still hope to be in the 180's by June.
Melodye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
What have you been trying?
Yesterday was my first "experiment" day and the egg went down fine. I think I'll just have eggs for lunch for a few days. I have a protein shake for breakfast so an egg at lunch won't hurt. Plus it's light on my tummy.

I did 35 minutes on my bike and my legs turned to jelly. LOL I guess that is what's called "fatigue."
Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I said no to: thin mint cookies, starburst candies, toast, cinnamon rolls, pizza rolls, and cake (throughout the whole day & out of order...). I did eat:

2 scoops mint cookie protein shake with 1% milk
1 scoop nectar protein fruity drink
chobani yogurt with 1/4 c fresh pineapple
3oz pork, 3 pieces broccoli, and 1/4 c fresh pineapple
an atkins meal replacement bar
3 oz roast beef, 1/4 C gravy, and 1/3 c green beans
1/2 C chobani yogurt for a snack
and LOTS of WATER!!!
- but I did have 2 cups of coffee today with sf creamer...
Any comments on what I might do to improve things? I wouldn't normally have had the roast beef dinner - it was at a banquet...I did avoid the roll, the cake, and all but a little taste of the mashed potatoes...
Beast mode on the "say no" list! I am so thankful that over the years that's been the one thing that I have held hard and fast to - sugar. I have no craving for it because I've abstained from it. It's my kryptonite!

Okay, just opinions and since you asked for comments I have some... constructive ones.

I realize this is an off normal day for you because of the banquet, but your food choices there aren't toooo bad. Not knowing exact measurements or brands on all the times I'm guestimating your intake for the day at around 1800 - 1900 calotries. Did they have salad? If so I would have stacked heavy on the salad, skipped the gravy and probably the green beans and put the roast beef in the salad. Granted I'm sure it was SMOTHERED in gravy (they usually are sauced at banquets!!!) but I would have scraped away what I could. I always carry a supplement too in situations like this.

Your ratios look to be about 25% fat, 25% carbs and 50% protein. Not bad overall, but a lot of the 50% protein were liquid. I noticed roughly HALF your calories for the day were liquid calories. That's a big deal right there when you are trying to cut back. Liquid calories tend to be the most "invisible". And about 2/3 of your calories were supplements. Also a big deal when you have a day with several regular food meals. Can you drink your mint cookie with water instead of milk? Your protein was high enough that you didn't need the milk, and it would cut roughly 60 calories. Omitting the gravy would have saved about another 50-60. The Atkins bar was a meal replacement bar so it was probably about 200-250 calories, but did you need to replace a meal? Maybe an apple or something else lower in calories but high in fiber (I HEART apples with a tbsp of peanut butter!). I don't know how much liquid creamer you use, but could you gradually taper down? I used to drink decaf with a TON of creamer (powdered usually) and I gradually tapered down a tsp at a time until it was negligible.

Question - why were there so many protein supplement? 2 scoops of Matrix, a scoop of Nectar and the Atkins would be about 600-700 calories right there, assuming 1 cup of milk for the matrix.

Looks like several processed items as well, but no whole raw foods. Raw foods are full of fiber and water - both good for keeping you full and satisfied.

Again, I realize it was banquet food and not a testimate to a normal day for you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
I did 35 minutes on my bike and my legs turned to jelly. LOL I guess that is what's called "fatigue."
Yup! Lol! Way to go!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Heather - your observations and commentary are exactly what I needed. I am going high on suppliments, and I have to scale that back... today was a bit better:

2 scoops matrix (I will try one with water this weekend...if I like it at all, I'll stop the milk)
with 2 cups 1% milk and ice
1 scoop matrix nectar with water and ice
2 oikos yogurts
4 oz homemade meatballs with maybe 3oz homemade spaghetti sauce
sf pudding later if I just get sooo hungry, otherwise, that's it!

no exercise today - had to take a sick kiddo home right after work so I got interrupted (this is the time where you need to be able to say "thank goodness I've been banking exercise..." - wish I felt more like that... I will exercise tomorrow, though, and I might just go for a walk here in a bit. It is over 85 degrees here, though, and full sun, so I'm not loving that idea.

Congrats on the 35 minutes, Chewie!

Ditto Melodye on the pouch test! Just dont think "I've been so good all those days, now, let's get back to "normal." That's one line I told myself a few times...
Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
So many of you do the mint cookie mix, is it very sweet? Do you make it with milk or water? How many calories is it for how much protein?

I've yet to find a powdered protein that I don't find disgustingly sweet so I'm kind of scared to try again, since I really like the Premier Protein ready to drink shakes I have, they don't have that protein smell, I couldn't do the nectar orange one because the smell got to me, it SMELLED like a protein drink. I dont' want it to smell like a protein drink, I want it to smell yummy. But I also don't want it to taste like a dessert because I wouldn't be able to stomach it often. I'd love to have an alternative to my Premier Protein drinks, variety helps
Old 04-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #139
Blabbermouth!!!

Julie - I've had super sweet protein drinks, and, although this is sweet, I do not find it disgustingly sweet. If memory serves me, one scoop has 140 calories and 24 - 26 g of protein. I LOVE this stuff!

PS: I also have the Nectar peach flavored fruity drink. It DOES smell/taste - well, like a protein drink, and I am only drinking it until I am through with it. Mint cookie is THE BEST I've ever tasted - followed immediatley by Isopure dutch chocolate and then vanilla flavors. All of them are yummy!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
So many of you do the mint cookie mix, is it very sweet? Do you make it with milk or water? How many calories is it for how much protein?

I've yet to find a powdered protein that I don't find disgustingly sweet so I'm kind of scared to try again, since I really like the Premier Protein ready to drink shakes I have, they don't have that protein smell, I couldn't do the nectar orange one because the smell got to me, it SMELLED like a protein drink. I dont' want it to smell like a protein drink, I want it to smell yummy. But I also don't want it to taste like a dessert because I wouldn't be able to stomach it often. I'd love to have an alternative to my Premier Protein drinks, variety helps
It tastes like melted mint chocolate chip ice cream to me. I use a scoop and a half in 6-8 oz water over ice. That's 35g protein and 210 calories. I only ever make it this way, have never made my proteins with milk so I don't know what it tastes like that way.

I loved Nectar, but YES the smells are horrible! I mix them with water and drink them with a straw out of my blender ball, again over ice. ALWAYS over ice lol. No smelling needed.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Mmm maybe i'll give it a shot, melted ice cream sounds pretty sweet but I do love mint chocolate chip ice cream (or I did pre surgery, haven't had any ice cream since!). It's a bit more calories than my current shake (mine is 30g of protein for 160 cals) but as a change it would be nice.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
I did a search for pouch test to see if anyone on here is doing it\has done it. I know the pro's and con's of it but for me I think it really makes sense right now. I don't even feel like a weight loss patient anymore. I haven't lost weight in a long long time and I can eat an awful lot of food in one sitting. I really wanted to make that mental connection again that I had right after surgery. I wanted to experience the liquids, the soft solids, to reconnect with what food feels like in my stomach and what it feels like when it's empty. I also wanted to get away from food for the sake of food and eating for sustenance. I don't feel like I'm being deprived, I really like reconnecting with my pouch and getting back to basics. I know a lot of people are against it and I get why. But I think for some people, like me, there are extenuating circumstances that make it an effective tool to reset my thinking\behavior\eating. And if it jump-starts any weight-loss, that is just a bonus
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
So this is the morning of day 2 of the pouch test and I'm down the 3lbs I was up after my vacation in CA. I'm still at the weight I stalled at a year ago (175lbs) so it will be interesting to see if the pouch test can help me finally break through that wall?
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
NSV galore!

I'm sitting here in a pretty frock, waiting for my son to return with my car so I ca meet a friend for an early lunch. I have had such a fun week, and I know it's because of my new health. Last Saturday dh and I went to a museum we've been meaning to visit, had a great time and then went out to dinner and a new "hot spot" cafe. Sunday I went shopping and then we both had dinner at a friend's home. This Thursday we went downtown to see Mary Poppins. Friday we saw an excellent high school production of Les Miz with a large group of friends and out to dinner. Today hanging with a friend I haven't seen for awhile. Throw in my regular work schedule, plus tutoring after work 3 x a week, and PT 2 x a week.... well a year ago I would have eventually bowed out of something citing exhaustion. One or two "extra" activities were about all I could handle, and rarely on a school night.

some other random thoughts, dh and I sat on a chair and a half easily at friend's house, could not have fit last year. I can use one of those cross body purses, they didn't work for me last year either. Love it, it's so freeing not to have to hold my purse. Continual ohhs and awes over my wardrobe from co-workers and students. Although I wish I didn't need PT, it's so liberating to talk about treatment and not feel ashamed that my weight is the biggest contributing factor. I continue to be a cheap date by either eating off my husband's plate or having soup or an appetizer. Life is good!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #145

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
cmcd1070, I get what you are saying. I did a fat fast last week for the same reason. I think I might do that once or twice a week.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mary can you PM me again please? I'm still not able to post attachments and I noticed it says under my posting rules, 'you may not post attachments' ??
Healthy and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
I can wear size 12 pants off the rack at several different stores so I'm claiming it! I just bought a very cute pair of ankle pants at Dress Barn in size 10!!! I think Dress Barn pants are vanity sized, but none the less it was a moment of jubilation.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

awesome Jesse!

Mary... sorry I am not giving an option to PM you back or to PM at all! Something weird is going on. Here is what it shows on the lower left of the screen when I scroll down: