LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
In a bit of a funk. My daughter just turned 18 in February. She's been coming home with odd bruises and late hours. Found out she just quit her job because the whole 8 hours (MAYBE) she was working was too much for her. Anyway, come home yesterday from work and there are beer bottles in her room. Just two that I can find. That was pretty much the last straw. Texted her, because she wasn't home of course to tell her to get out of my house and don't take anything she didn't buy herself. Looking through her other things it's just pretty much been drinking lying and partying for a while now. I've been through this with her twice before since she was 14. I've washed my hands of her and it's the hardest thing I've done. She's not welcome back as she is now.

Anyway, I ate a lot of Pringles in bed last night and I sure want to eat some more stuff right now. Good thing I don't have anything on me.
So sorry for your pain. I can't imagine. You say she's not welcome back as she is now, and I totally get that. Have you thought about under what conditions she could come home? Once you have those squared away in your mind, you could share them with her. Then it really is up to her, if she chooses no change, well you haven't abandoned her at all, she's left you. If she is willing to meet your conditions, things can get better for her. I'm sure that is all you want ~ for her to be okay. Sadly, she has to want it too, and you have to do what you have to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Jesse, did you literally wake up and find yourself doing that? Has it ever happened before? I have a bit of NSRED (nocturnal/sleep related eating disorder). Watch our for that.
I was awake, but it was really weird. I woke up and it's like I was in a trance almost with the thought eat crunch and munch and I stood up, headed straight to the kitchen and was ripping into the box before I could really tell myself no. But I was conscious regarding what I was doing. As I was chewing I thought this has to stop, and that's when the dog had a very fine night
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #93
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Heather - I'm sorry you are dealing with all this. Mine just turned 15 and I am super suspicious...you almost have to be.

Jesse, Congrats on not eating more of it than you did.

I know, for me, a quick fix is not what I need. I need to get back on the wagon all the time. Back like in the good ol days where I wouldn't even think of eating a piece of bread or a french fry. I am really mad - generally - and super stressed, too, about just about every area of my life. I feel like I'm about to snap and I do not like it. I just have to take a good look at what I'm doing and then I need to stop doing it! This is ridiculous; I didn't come this far to fail.

I worked out for about an hour today. Walked/jogged (mostly walked - my knee is still bugging me) 2 miles, biked 2 miles, and then went on their fancy schmancy elliptical for
.45 miles. Food wasn't too bad, but I'm eating too much. I have to listen to my body - not just eat cause it is a certain time...

I'm very grumbly right now. I have to get a handle on this.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 04-17-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #94
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
So I did 25 minutes on the bike yesterday. Woohoo!!! 3 days done, increased each day by 10%. I really didn't want to do it but forced myself. How long do they say it takes to make a habit:90 days?
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #95

NSV: dr took blood on Monday. I've been hypothyroid for years now and on meds. Now my thyroid is normal. Weird, huh?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Wooohoo that's awesome!
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #97

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Heather - I'm sorry you are dealing with all this. Mine just turned 15 and I am super suspicious...you almost have to be.

I know, for me, a quick fix is not what I need. I need to get back on the wagon all the time. Back like in the good ol days where I wouldn't even think of eating a piece of bread or a french fry. I am really mad - generally - and super stressed, too, about just about every area of my life. I feel like I'm about to snap and I do not like it. I just have to take a good look at what I'm doing and then I need to stop doing it! This is ridiculous; I didn't come this far to fail.
That's pretty much when all this started with her. Wrong crowd, popular kids, all that. I AM super suspicious, but I'm also faulted in that I want totally to trust her and when she looked me in the eyes and said she wasn't... over and over again... Then another things happens and the trust stops and then eventually comes back until it happens again.

I need to get under control too. What can we do about it? We need to support each other and just get this done. Remove the crap. YES it was so much easier to not eat the stuff when we didn't ever eat the stuff!!!! What happened along the way?

I need to take a good long look at what's come back in my life that I don't want there anymore. And what's left that I need to find again. I think I'm going to work on that the remainder of the week and come back Monday and reform some goals. I'm totally failing on this week's challenge by the way. Totally. I also haven't been working out as much. Enough of that too.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

People ~ boundaries please!

I have a long history of being a codependent people pleaser. I've worked hard to to learn how to maintain the boundaries I'm comfortable with. If you are pushing through my boundaries I don't have to give you what you want unless I WANT to. So what do people want from me? Information. Wow! You look great. me: (with big smile and warm tone) Thank You. So why why does the follow up question always have to be How much have you lost? Is this not equal to asking How much did you weigh? My answer is an always pleasant " a lot". I know some people are comfortable sharing, but to me this is a conversation for those closest to me, not someone who I have traded pleasantries with 2 or 3 times at work. The other question is how are you doing it? This I understand more because everyone is looking for that magic bullet, I figure that's what they're hoping to hear oh I eat an orange every 3 hours and the weight just drops off . I tell them lifestyle change. I simply do not want to spend 20 minutes explaining my surgery and subsequent eating plan to a normal weight person,who I only know casually; it's not information that will be particularly helpful to them, they aren't going to have surgery to lose 10 pounds. (If someone who is MO asks, I will talk with them about it.) I don't go around asking people, oh cute Coach bag, how much did it cost OR how did you pay for it?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I have a long history of being a codependent people pleaser. I've worked hard to to learn how to maintain the boundaries I'm comfortable with. If you are pushing through my boundaries I don't have to give you what you want unless I WANT to. So what do people want from me? Information. Wow! You look great. me: (with big smile and warm tone) Thank You. So why why does the follow up question always have to be How much have you lost? Is this not equal to asking How much did you weigh? My answer is an always pleasant " a lot". I know some people are comfortable sharing, but to me this is a conversation for those closest to me, not someone who I have traded pleasantries with 2 or 3 times at work. The other question is how are you doing it? This I understand more because everyone is looking for that magic bullet, I figure that's what they're hoping to hear oh I eat an orange every 3 hours and the weight just drops off . I tell them lifestyle change. I simply do not want to spend 20 minutes explaining my surgery and subsequent eating plan to a normal weight person,who I only know casually; it's not information that will be particularly helpful to them, they aren't going to have surgery to lose 10 pounds. (If someone who is MO asks, I will talk with them about it.) I don't go around asking people, oh cute Coach bag, how much did it cost OR how did you pay for it?
I agree with this. I think your answer "a lot" is enough and if they keep badgering you, just say it's too personal to discuss.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #100

28 minutes on the bike last night. Woohoo.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Melodye
Stats: 209/199/160
WOE: WW
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Hello all. I am doing ok with my eating. I have been exercising more. I am getting ready to return to work after being out on disability withy my health problems for 4 years, but now that I have lost the weight I no longer have the health issues that put me out of work years ago. I am very excited about returning to work, a little nervous of course, but I love healthcare and thats what I did for 17 years before I got disabled. I will be working 3 - 12 hour shifts a week. My days willl vary. I will be 7am -7pm. On my days off I plan to go to the YMCA and do my water aerobics.Wish me luck!!!

"You can achieve it, if you just believe it"
Melodye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #102

Melodye--congrats on going back to work. That's exciting. You've done great.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: awlass
Stats: 385 / 375.8 / 230.2 / 150
WOE: RNY
Start Date: 10/20/11 RNY 05/15/2012
Hey guys
Just a quick update as Im seriously falling asleep here..
Ive been working 2 jobs for the last 2 months, and Im completely pooped. Ive lost about 1.5 lbs per week, and feeling that I need to step it up a bit. Problem is, Im NOT sleeping much.. average of 4 hours a night.. Top that off with eating subway bread 4-5 days a week (free 6" at first job) and sugary sauced fried foods on my breaks at my 2nd job (samples of whatever at the deli), my food is way out of control.
Im trying to take steps to bring everything back where it needs to be.

My goals for the remainder of the month:
-Switch from sandwich to salad at subway.. No sugary sauces! Oil+vinegar is sufficient. No croutons or crackers.
-Stop the snacking at my 2nd job.. No samples. Period.
-Stop staying out late on my days off. I don't have much time to sleep in the week, so why deprive myself of much needed sleep when I DO have the time?!
-Get back on track with my vitamins.. I've slacked again since starting the 2nd job.

Highest 386/ Pre-op 375.8/Current 215.4/Goal 150
awlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by awlass View Post
Hey guys
Just a quick update as Im seriously falling asleep here..
Ive been working 2 jobs for the last 2 months, and Im completely pooped. Ive lost about 1.5 lbs per week, and feeling that I need to step it up a bit. Problem is, Im NOT sleeping much.. average of 4 hours a night.. Top that off with eating subway bread 4-5 days a week (free 6" at first job) and sugary sauced fried foods on my breaks at my 2nd job (samples of whatever at the deli), my food is way out of control.
Im trying to take steps to bring everything back where it needs to be.

My goals for the remainder of the month:
-Switch from sandwich to salad at subway.. No sugary sauces! Oil+vinegar is sufficient. No croutons or crackers.
-Stop the snacking at my 2nd job.. No samples. Period.
-Stop staying out late on my days off. I don't have much time to sleep in the week, so why deprive myself of much needed sleep when I DO have the time?!
-Get back on track with my vitamins.. I've slacked again since starting the 2nd job.
I've been thinking about you lately!!!! Welcome back - come join us all trying to get back on track. The stopping the snacking is hard, I'm working on getting all the unnecessary bites out of my life too. Having it right in front of you all day makes it worse!!! We can do this.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodye View Post
Hello all. I am doing ok with my eating. I have been exercising more. I am getting ready to return to work after being out on disability withy my health problems for 4 years, but now that I have lost the weight I no longer have the health issues that put me out of work years ago. I am very excited about returning to work, a little nervous of course, but I love healthcare and thats what I did for 17 years before I got disabled. I will be working 3 - 12 hour shifts a week. My days willl vary. I will be 7am -7pm. On my days off I plan to go to the YMCA and do my water aerobics.Wish me luck!!!
Wow! Talk about getting your life back. That's great. I'd be nervous too, even the best of changes bring a bit of nerves, I think of it as kind of prerequisite to growth. Congratulations!
Old 04-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #106
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi All, I went to see Jillian Michaels speak this week. Love her or hate her, she had some eye-opening information and some good advice about a lot of things. That said, I don't have time to write about it right now, but I will.

I have been really thinking about how I eat and why. I've really slid back into some bad habits and I know I am going to have to work like hell and continually kick my own a$$ to get back to where I need to be. Starting today I am doing what I need to do.

However, I did - I think - "bother" my sciatic nerve playing Just Dance 4 with my daughter today. I took some pain meds and I am staying off my feet, but even sitting here it sometimes radiates some pain... Dangit if I can't walk I'm going to be very mad!

More later - more about Jillian. It wasn't earth-shattering, but it was good to hear and kinda cool to hear from her...
Old 04-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #107

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
awlass your new pic is stunning!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #108

hi ladies, I am not sure if it is something medical or emotional (too much change/stress) but I am tired all the time and struggling with depression.

Other than that, there is an asian grocery called HMart next to me... omg, that place is gonna get me in trouble... too much asian snack food that is "healthy" (well compared to american snack food it is! lol)

Also interesting to me, their snack packs of dried garlic peas (OMG YUM!) and dried fish and peanut (OMG! DOUBLE YUM!) are tiny! I mean, a snack bag of doritos is a meal in iteself.... these snack packs are little 2"X1.5" pouches... like a small handful when you pour it out.

The dried fish and peanut snack is sooo good. I bought it thinking well I don't think I will like dried anchovies (or anchovies of any sort) but I will give this a try. I am not even sure they are anchovies, they are tiny fish dried out, head and all... then there are peanuts, sesame seeds, dried green onion, dried pepper. Soooo good!

And I mentioned before, korean seasoned sea weed is a new addiction!

And something I tried in Hawaii and really liked is dried cuttle fish (it is like jerky) and so I bought some of that too.

I am pretty sure it all has too much sodium, a touch of sugar, and MSG.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #109

Quote:
How exciting!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

I need to get under control too. What can we do about it? We need to support each other and just get this done. Remove the crap. YES it was so much easier to not eat the stuff when we didn't ever eat the stuff!!!! What happened along the way?

I need to take a good long look at what's come back in my life that I don't want there anymore. And what's left that I need to find again. I think I'm going to work on that the remainder of the week and come back Monday and reform some goals. I'm totally failing on this week's challenge by the way. Totally. I also haven't been working out as much. Enough of that too

Heather - I am all for helping one another. As you may have read on the other thread, I am now at 198 - up from 183. I am DONE with excuses and "I'll start fresh tomorrow," etc... I never had an all-out food fest, but slowly I went from strict and diligent to sloppy. Same with exercise. I used to get up at 5AM if I needed to in order to make sure I walked/worked out at least 5 times a week. Now I am still up around 4 times a week...but it needs to be 5 or 6, not 3 or 4. I have done well the last 3 days, and I hope to see a loss again tomorrow. I was 199... today I'm 198.3. I am GOING to get back down to 183 (182 is my first goal) and then I WILL get to my original goal of 174. My goal for 182 is June 12th. That's doable, but I know it will be difficult for me. Remember that honeymoon period when we could lose that in a month without exercising? Ahhhh, the good old days. As it is, I think it will take me every single day to do this...but I WILL!! Heather - what kind of goals did you end up with? Anyone else want to chime in what they plan to do? We all need to share any aces we have up our sleeves...

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 04-21-2013 at 05:46 PM..
Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #111

Quote:
Hi All, I went to see Jillian Michaels speak this week. Love her or hate her, she had some eye-opening information and some good advice about a lot of things. That said, I don't have time to write about it right now, but I will.

I have been really thinking about how I eat and why. I've really slid back into some bad habits and I know I am going to have to work like hell and continually kick my own a$$ to get back to where I need to be. Starting today I am doing what I need to do.
I'd love to hear about Jillian! I dig her. She's got some really good advice and her thinking is usually spot on. I've read a few of her books.

And yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Same thing with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
awlass your new pic is stunning!
Hottie.

Quote:
Heather - I am all for helping one another. As you may have read on the other thread, I am now at 198 - up from 183. I am DONE with excuses and "I'll start fresh tomorrow," etc... I never had an all-out food fest, but slowly I went from strict and diligent to sloppy. Same with exercise. I used to get up at 5AM if I needed to in order to make sure I walked/worked out at least 5 times a week. Now I am still up around 4 times a week...but it needs to be 5 or 6, not 3 or 4. I have done well the last 3 days, and I hope to see a loss again tomorrow. I was 199... today I'm 198.3. I am GOING to get back down to 183 (182 is my first goal) and then I WILL get to my original goal of 174. My goal for 182 is June 12th. That's doable, but I know it will be difficult for me. Remember that honeymoon period when we could lose that in a month without exercising? Ahhhh, the good old days. As it is, I think it will take me every single day to do this...but I WILL!! Heather - what kind of goals did you end up with? Anyone else want to chime in what they plan to do? We all need to share any aces we have up our sleeves...
So let's get this under control. Accountability is key. Any thoughts? I like the weekly challenges, I didn't do so well on the last one either. I did better than USUAL. But not as good as I could have. I was 152 earlier in the week. My lowest was 133 - I know I'm not going back there again, I have too much muscle. My "home" is 145. I'm good there, but 140 is going to be the number I shoot for.

How can we do this?

I've been looking at what I ate when I was rocking it and what I eat now. Quantities are not much different so it's got to be quality. The types of foods I am eating. Namely... carbs. Popcorn. Chips. Breads. Not a lot of it in one sitting, but it's almost everyday. I've also increased the number of protein drinks I have in a day from one to sometimes three. Granted it's because of the meals or lack thereof that I am eating... but I need to get back to eating real whole food instead. Liquid calories are easy to overlook. Sf alternatives to sweets. I've done good on cutting out the sf candy, but I've had an occasional sf dessert lately. A slice of cheesecake over yesterday and today. I bought a nsa ice cream (bunny tracks). It's going down the sink tonight. It's too enticing.

Another thing I've compared is exercise. I work out a lot. Not as much as I used to though, and not LIKE I used to. I used to run a lot, and that's slacked off. I ran another 5k today (well the route actually was 2.87 miles so it was a short 5K!) and I LOVED it. I need to get my mojo back with that.

The two things I am doing this week to take steps... meal planning. Dinner included. I'm making a pot of 15 bean soup tomorrow for meatless Monday in the crockpot. Yogurt for breakfasts, and the usual concoction for lunches. The second thing... workouts. I need to get a yoga schedule back. The studio has changed classes a little so I need to try to work something out. Insane Cardio on Mondays. Running preferably three times a week but I'll start with aiming for twice.

Crackdown.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #112

Me in the hat I decorated for the DFW Truck Farm Fun Run 5K today. I went a lil crazy with the glue gun. I "won" the sunglasses for admitting my addiction to diet Snapple half 'n half. I was the first and only person that morning to say the magic words to win the snapple glasses lol. Addiction pays off sometimes.

Haha! Yes I ran in that hat. The glasses came later.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Melodye
Stats: 209/199/160
WOE: WW
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Hot Tamale- I am wanting to get into the 180's as well. Right now, I am doing the 5 day pouch test. I am on day 2. Has anyone ever tried this? I thought I would try it. I am doing better with my exercise and also drinking my water. I would love to be down in the low 180's by June.

Heather- I love your hat.
Melodye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #114
Blabbermouth!!!

I've done the pouch test, and maybe will consider it again. At this point, I am having several 1/2 portion protein shakes each day, in addition to a greek yogurt and then some protein and a few vegetables or fruit. No more anything white (except cauliflower)! I am also down to one cup of coffee a day, which I plan to get rid of by this weekend.

Weight this morning: 196.4
Goal for next Monday morning: 193.4

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 04-22-2013 at 06:20 AM..
Old 04-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #115

Cute pic, Heather.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #116

Quote:
Hot Tamale- I am wanting to get into the 180's as well. Right now, I am doing the 5 day pouch test. I am on day 2. Has anyone ever tried this? I thought I would try it. I am doing better with my exercise and also drinking my water. I would love to be down in the low 180's by June.

Heather- I love your hat.
Some people have success with this as a reset to get back to basics, but I have my own opinion. Again, I think it as a kind of a fad "diet". If you need that level of self deprivation (I say deprivation because of the strict (phases") to reset yourself I say try it. However if the ultimate goal is to "detox" from bad choices and get back to basics - then why not just go back to basic from square one? Same end result without all the days stepping up to it.

This is just my opinion in I know that I have better success just cutting down to what I need to be eating verses making myself do two days of liquids, a day of softs, etc etc. I know myself well enough from past experiences that it would not go well and that I would be setting myself up for something bad. Restricting myself that greatly has ALWAYS led to a feeling of deprivation and some sort of binge afterwards. I probably would not last much past day 1.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My issue right now is rice cakes. Those stupid Crispy Minis in sour cream and onion flavor. I shouldn't even touch them. I have a psychological NEED for a snack around 10pm, I can't seem to shake it. Rice cakes seemed innocent enough. I measure them out and only do one portion, but they push my carbs over for the day. And it's dangerous, I *could* eat the whole bag since they're a "slider" food for VSG and it's in the house. I do really well eating 100% clean until that 10pm snack urge hits. I rationalize it by saying that my trainer says I should eat more carbs. But I somehow don't think she's talking about this. Cheese and crackers is another thing I reach for as a snack. I rationalize that one by saying that cheese is a protein. If I could just get rid of this one crutch. But then I'm afraid that by not allowing myself ONE sub-100 calorie snack per day, I'm setting myself up for feelings of deprivation which have been binge triggers for me in the past. While I can't binge on things like french fries and hamburgers, I could still easily binge on crackers and popcorn.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #118

I wanted to share a few images. I pulled these off my Withings account. This shows me, and hopefully shows everyone else, that exercise is really really key in helping lose and maintain weight.

Remember I had a car accident in February - and a few weeks after that i finally convinced myself that pain is not good and I should rest and let myself heal. Before that I was working out 6 sometimes 7 days a week for a total of 6-10 hours a week.

This first image is weight. The lowest weight was 139.7, mid to late February right before I put myself on hiatus to heal. The 150.5 right before that was the last time I realized my eating was off track and put myself on crackdown with eating. Notice the significant upward trend from late February on. That's the no exercise period. The kinda leveling off at the end - that's the last few weeks when I felt healed enough to amp it back up again. At the bottom of the image you can see the months.

The second image is body fat percentage. The lighter shaded area is normal BF% range for a female. While mine are consistently well below that, notice the same upward trend from late February on! The up and down inconsistencies are a hydration status indicator - that's why you'll see the very large spikes. I was dehydrated at those points and the BF calculator in the scale picks that up. It's the overall trend that I watch, and it matches the weight trend. So... working out - super super super key important. Eating probably plays a huge part in it, but my eating has been off before and it hasn't trended like this. This period the only difference is the lack of exercise. Muscle burns fat. Not using or building muscle builds fat.

I heart technology!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Withings.jpg (22.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
My issue right now is rice cakes. Those stupid Crispy Minis in sour cream and onion flavor. I shouldn't even touch them. I have a psychological NEED for a snack around 10pm, I can't seem to shake it. Rice cakes seemed innocent enough. I measure them out and only do one portion, but they push my carbs over for the day. And it's dangerous, I *could* eat the whole bag since they're a "slider" food for VSG and it's in the house. I do really well eating 100% clean until that 10pm snack urge hits. I rationalize it by saying that my trainer says I should eat more carbs. But I somehow don't think she's talking about this. Cheese and crackers is another thing I reach for as a snack. I rationalize that one by saying that cheese is a protein. If I could just get rid of this one crutch. But then I'm afraid that by not allowing myself ONE sub-100 calorie snack per day, I'm setting myself up for feelings of deprivation which have been binge triggers for me in the past. While I can't binge on things like french fries and hamburgers, I could still easily binge on crackers and popcorn.
So here's where I found my slippery slope. I rationalized EVERYTHING you are saying to yourself the exact same way. A small snack of this became a small snack of this every day became a slighter bigger than small snack of this every day... and so on. If I can tolerate 15 kernels of popcorn one day then maybe I had 17 the next day and so on until I'm where I am now. And then it's so hard to get back to being satisfied with where you started out... so then do you just omit? Has it at then point become a trigger food or a crutch? For me, most often, yes. One nsa oatmeal raisin crack cookie turns into the dozen over the course of 48 hours. Two sf oreos turned into 2 sugar free oreos every time I walked past them. These are banned in my house now, among other things. I don't have the answer beyond that.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So far I've been good at not allowing myself to ever go above 800 cals per day, and I DO log everything I put in my mouth, so that does kind of put a limit on the amount of snack I could do. I do try to keep my cals around 600-700 range though, which with the one snack I usually end up at about 650 cals. I know that one snack could easily turn into two snacks etc, but it's such a fine line between denying it completely and potentially triggering a binge, and allowing myself a small snack to keep feeling satisfied without that snack getting out of control. I go by grams, so I measure out 20 grams of snack and put that into a bowl, and put the rest away. So there's not really an issue of 20 grams becoming 25 grams because I measure it before I eat it, not while I'm eating it. If I just grabbed it out of the bag and ate it I'm sure I'd eat the whole bag, so I measure everything and portion it out into snack ziploc bags or bowls. I need to try to wean off of them and get something else as a snack, maybe green seedless grapes, or cherries. I mean they'd be more carby but also less calories and healthier.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote