Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
Your thighs are beautiful... did you need any plastic surgery? My thighs are a big mess. And my arms. I'm thinking shorts are never going to be in my future without a big ol scar from knee to groin.

Oh and for that bone test, no way I could touch my pinkie to my thumb but I can touch my ringfinger and middle finger (not the index finger).
Thanks. No plastics but I want it on my tummy and I NEED it on my boobs. It's all running and yoga. My arms and legs are great. I have a little inner thigh sag, but those shorts aren't TOO long and it covers it. The skin didn't shrink, I just filled it with tone muscle so it looks better.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #62

Quote:
My fear is that you'd get used to eating those foods and one day wake up and the pounds are coming back on. I think they say that your intestines eventually get more efficient at absorbing calories after 12-18 months, and a lot of those foods that you're eating are slider foods that won't stay long in the stomach, I mean I understand that may be a conscious choice because you don't want to lose anymore. Also nutrition wise since none of those things you listed are particularly nutritious... do you still have a lot of restriction when you eat lean protein? I'm only 5 months out and I still have a good 80 more pounds to go at least, but I do a lot of protein shakes to help me get as much protein in as I can.
This is kinda what I was trying to say also in my first post; you said it well. Things you do now that dont matter much matter a whole lot more further out. I know with RNY the absorption is true because the y limb starts to make up for the missing bowel eventually. Not sure how/if that works with VSG when there's no malabsorption - any thoughts all you other sleevsters?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Not sure how/if that works with VSG when there's no malabsorption - any thoughts all you other sleevsters?
From what I have read on Obesityhelp the consensus is that your body gets more efficient at absorbing calories so even though the VSG didn't have the malabsorption component the RNY does, calories do still matter more later on from the surgery. I'm not sure if it's that the body gets more efficient at absorbing calories or the metabolism is just more efficient on running with less, either way the end result is the same... 12-18 months out from surgery you need less calories than you did (well to maintain, obviously you're not eating maintenance calories right from the start).
Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks. No plastics but I want it on my tummy and I NEED it on my boobs. It's all running and yoga. My arms and legs are great. I have a little inner thigh sag, but those shorts aren't TOO long and it covers it. The skin didn't shrink, I just filled it with tone muscle so it looks better.
Hmmm I'll have to add in some yoga, I could use some flexibility Right now I'm mostly doing walking 6-8 kilometers per day, with 1 hour of weight training with a personal trainer (that kicks my butt!) a few times per week. On the days that I go to the gym I also usually do about 20-25 minutes on the bike and 10 minutes on the rower. I'm going to add in another day of weight training but at home with my freeweights. No running yet because when I tried to do C25K it was EPIC FAILURE, 8 minutes was the furthest I got and I hated it, I was gasping for air and felt like I was going to die. My fitness has improved a lot more since then but still, I don't want that "I'm going to cough up my lung" feeling again right now
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
I get what you guys are saying, the thing is I don't want to lose anymore weight or drop any more sizes. I have bones sticking out and my husband says I look like one of those starving children. My wrists are boney and my arms have veins poking out. I would never look good as a size 4 or 6.

I think I just burn so many calories I am having a hard time eating enough. I am thinking about Heather's suggestion of weight lifting and adding in some yoga. Also, I have two cases of shakes I think I will start adding at least one a day back in.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #66

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Chrissy... what about adding in good fats to protein shakes? Coconut butter (I just ordered this on netrition and so excited to try it!), nut butters, oils, creams, etc

Because you have VSG and not RNY the fat probably won't bother your tummy (nausea)
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
I'm fascinated by my bones I've been able to feel my hip bones for awhile, but now when I'm standing, I can feel the TOP of my pelvis bone I guess when I was thin young thing I thought nothing of it, I mean I don't remember thinking, hey what is that hard flat spot under my waistband? Now I can't stop checking to see if it's still there when I rest my hand on my hips And hey, Hips don't lie!

Last edited by Jesse; 04-13-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #68
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I'm fascinated by my bones I've been able to feel my hip bones for awhile, but now when I'm standing, I can feel the TOP of my pelvis bone I guess when I was thin young thing I thought nothing of it, I mean I don't remember thinking, hey what is that hard flat spot under my waistband? Now I can't stop checking to see if it's still there when I rest my hand on my hips And hey, Hips don't lie!
"LIKE"
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #69

First of all - how did everyone do on the challenge last week that participated?

Because of my yoga retreat this weekend I racked up 660 minutes of workouts. That's 11 hours. My usual would be 6 hours a week, so this doubled it. I think I'm amping up my workouts to include more hours. I love the yoga, but I haev loved doing the insanity too - so I want to do both lol.

I wasn't on much this weekend so I didn't poll for what this week's challenge should be - so I made one up myself!

It looks like food has been an issue for a lot of people lately so I think that this week's challenge should focus on diet or dietary habits.

I'd like to identify ONE trigger in your life (food, food group, flavor, habit, activity, restaurant, whatever floats your boat) that causes you to derail or lose control and work on removing it from your diet this week. Notice I didn't say abstain completely - which is ideal - but work on removing it. WORK. It's a trigger, it's hard to control, hard to avoid, and even harder to resist. Maybe today and tomorrow you identify it. Then you wrap your mind around it and focus on changing that one thing.

You can say what it is you are choosing, or not. Up to you.

I'm going to work on grazing - or really rather mindless eating when not hungry. That's become an issue with me where I know I'm not hungry but I wind out eating a protein bar or a tortilla or an apple. Most likely boredom or mental "hunger". This is something that I *really* need to work on.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
I get what you guys are saying, the thing is I don't want to lose anymore weight or drop any more sizes. I have bones sticking out and my husband says I look like one of those starving children. My wrists are boney and my arms have veins poking out. I would never look good as a size 4 or 6.

I think I just burn so many calories I am having a hard time eating enough. I am thinking about Heather's suggestion of weight lifting and adding in some yoga. Also, I have two cases of shakes I think I will start adding at least one a day back in.
Good idea. You have to find your balance, but make it a healthy balance. Not just a willy nilly eat eat eat balance. I think what a few people are trying to say (because we're there now) is that one day you wake up and the tide has changed and things get real tough.

Feed your body a lot of protein - up the protein when you increase your calories - you can feed it a lot of crap calories but that can actually increase the unhealthy look that you are worried about. Especially if your body is still losing weight until you find that balance - you don't want it to be muscle loss. Your body will break down muscle and "eat" that.

Lol, I went off on a side street there I think. But I'm excited to hear about the yoga. If I could credit one single thing for changing me the most it would be the yoga.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Yep. REAL tough...

I seem to have issues at night. I have to work on having a high-protein mini meal around 8 or even 9PM and then not eating after that. No nuts, no sf popsicles (one turns into 3..or 4...), none of that.

Also, I am weaning myself off coffee for good. It isn't good for me, it is bad on my stomach, and the empty calories and fake sugar aren't good for me either. If I'm drinking anything it had better be water most of the time.

I walked/jogged for about an hour at the Relay For Life my area had on Saturday. I walked another 2.25 miles today - despite a not-so-good knee today. Not sure what's up with that, but I may not walk tomorrow to give it some time to feel better.

I am just stating for the record that I am pretty unhappy with myself. I thought I was doing pretty good - especially with my water intake and all, but managed to be 2 pounds heavier on the scale this morning. I almost threw it. I just HAVE to get back down to 183. I think I am going to have to go back to bare-bones low carb. Maybe a few days of that will help me focus again. I am not eating too badly - just maybe too much or too many times or too much fake sugar, etc... ARUGH this is hard.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #72

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Hi. Big scale day: 70 lbs gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see my primary dr today. I hope he's happy.

I hit beyond my water goal yesterday and stopped counting when I hit 124 oz of water. I only did 20 minutes on my bike. I was freaked out about Boston and we were under tornado warnings all night. I will try and do more today. It's all good. Better than just sitting on the couch being a lump.

My worst time is mid-afternoon. I do find if I have a hot cup of tea, cocoa or coffee, it holds me till dinner so that's my main plan. Plus I find it relaxing.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #73

I fancy myself a runner. As that, and a nurse, I was in tears for the people in Boston. To have such hard work and energy end in such tragedy. I wonder how many will run again.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I walked/jogged for about an hour at the Relay For Life my area had on Saturday. I walked another 2.25 miles today - despite a not-so-good knee today. Not sure what's up with that, but I may not walk tomorrow to give it some time to feel better.

I am just stating for the record that I am pretty unhappy with myself. I thought I was doing pretty good - especially with my water intake and all, but managed to be 2 pounds heavier on the scale this morning. I almost threw it. I just HAVE to get back down to 183. I think I am going to have to go back to bare-bones low carb. Maybe a few days of that will help me focus again. I am not eating too badly - just maybe too much or too many times or too much fake sugar, etc... ARUGH this is hard.
Thanks for reminding me about RFL. Ours is 5/3. I always volunteer for a shift or two at the concession or something.

Here's the hard thing - why are you unhappy with yourSELF? You should be unhappy with your behavior but not yourself. Look where you are now vs where you were then - yeah perhaps there are still a few more pounds you'd like to lose but that's no reason to be unhappy with you.

Here's another hard thing - and this gets mixed responses and I'm okay with that. This is in no way aimed at you - just know that - but is hopefully something to just think on. It's taken me a while to get to this point of rational realization. We KNOW what we need to do, we followed rules early out and they worked awesome. Why deviate? Why do liquid fasts or other fads that work briefly but are hard to maintain? We always gain right back when we revert back to "normal". We need to re-establish our new normal. Healthy eating. I'm sooooo just as guilty at that, I crammed Pringles in my mouth this morning telling myself they didn't count because it was so early. I still have times when I think to myself that I need to drastically cut to xxx so that I can drop 5-6 pounds real quick. And I know that doing the right thing amd following my rules will accomplish the same thing. It's almost like I think to "punish" myself with strictness for my out of control behavior. I know it never ever ever works for me. Just thoughts. We have the tools and the knowledge. And we have this time tested and proven tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post

I hit beyond my water goal yesterday and stopped counting when I hit 124 oz of water. I only did 20 minutes on my bike. I was freaked out about Boston and we were under tornado warnings all night. I will try and do more today. It's all good. Better than just sitting on the couch being a lump.

My worst time is mid-afternoon. I do find if I have a hot cup of tea, cocoa or coffee, it holds me till dinner so that's my main plan. Plus I find it relaxing.
Yay! Congratulations!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post

Woohoo, 70 pounds! That's great! What was your surgery date? I bow down to you for getting 120+ oz of water, I still struggle with 64, I don't automatically drink I have to consciously think about it, when I used to be a Diet Coke addict the can would be on my desk and then just magically be empty at some point, I would drink without thinking about it, it never seems to happen with water! I wish!

Quote:
It's taken me a while to get to this point of rational realization. We KNOW what we need to do, we followed rules early out and they worked awesome. Why deviate? Why do liquid fasts or other fads that work briefly but are hard to maintain? We always gain right back when we revert back to "normal".
I understand about rationalizing choices, but to me a day of protein shakes aren't a fad, they're mostly laziness. A lot of the time I find eating a chore. A lot of food sits in my stomach like a brick, and though I do eat dense protein, I really can't eat enough of it in a meal to even equal half a protein shake. There's no way I would reach 90+ grams of protein without protein shakes. I do two a day at a minimum (breakast and lunch). And sometimes I will also do one for supper when nothing else sounds good, which makes my day only liquid. To me there's no deprivation there, but as someone so far out from surgery I would really like your input on if i'm doing myself a disservice 5 months out by still having liquid days, do you think I should force myself to eat chicken etc even if it means my days will have more calories (if I eat the chicken AND the same amount of protein shakes) or less protein (if I only eat the chicken and drop the shakes?)
Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #76

Quote:
Woohoo, 70 pounds! That's great! What was your surgery date? I bow down to you for getting 120+ oz of water, I still struggle with 64, I don't automatically drink I have to consciously think about it, when I used to be a Diet Coke addict the can would be on my desk and then just magically be empty at some point, I would drink without thinking about it, it never seems to happen with water! I wish!
Surgery date was Dec 3.

I understand about rationalizing choices, but to me a day of protein shakes aren't a fad, they're mostly laziness. A lot of the time I find eating a chore. A lot of food sits in my stomach like a brick, and though I do eat dense protein, I really can't eat enough of it in a meal to even equal half a protein shake. There's no way I would reach 90+ grams of protein without protein shakes. I do two a day at a minimum (breakast and lunch). And sometimes I will also do one for supper when nothing else sounds good, which makes my day only liquid. To me there's no deprivation there, but as someone so far out from surgery I would really like your input on if i'm doing myself a disservice 5 months out by still having liquid days, do you think I should force myself to eat chicken etc even if it means my days will have more calories (if I eat the chicken AND the same amount of protein shakes) or less protein (if I only eat the chicken and drop the shakes?)
I do one protein shake a day, sometimes 1/2 of one later for a snack. I do eat lunch and dinner. I have to cook for my family and so I usually eat the protein and a tablespoon of a veggie. Lunch is normally leftover protein.
I don't know about 3 shakes a day. It might not be good for long term but I don't know.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #77

Quote:
There is a drastic difference between someone 6 months out from surgery and someone 3 years out from surgery. I could in no way have imagined this difference at even a year post op. At that point I couldn't get much in either so a lot of my intake WAS liquid. So with six small meals a day probably two of them were protein drinks, usually the ones between the "real" mealtimes of breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eventually you work your way out of it by eating more food (although with the protein requirements to keep my protein levels up on my labs I do still use a supplement or two a day between meals). If I tried that now - and I could completely consider it a fad because it's not nutritionally necessary, but a response to my dissatisfaction with myself - then I'm setting myself up for failure because it would in no way satisfy me at all. That's the key difference behind it. My BODY doesn't require it of me, my mind does. I guess my point being if I were to try a liquid fast today, this week, I'd drop weight initially and when I gave up on it (it would be quite short lived because my pouch is open ended and liquids do nothing but run through) I would mentally and emotionally need to binge because I would feel deprived. Much the way it worked with me pre-op, although my binging capacities are reduced now.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #78

Hmmm... and it's not just liquid diets that I'm thinking about, that was just pretty much the most common post-op example. I find the same thing happening with me on very very low calorie days too. If I don't plan my meals earlier in the day with enough calories then I also find myself eating way more often than I should that evening too.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK I look forward to the day when I can eat a whole egg, or more than 2 ounces of chicken, 1/3rd of a can of tuna etc. If I could eat at least 2 eggs, or even 4 slices of deli ham instead of just 2 (I mean come on, 4 slices is 50 calories and I can't even do it!). At this point, food is a chore because I can't eat enough of it to make a dent in my protein requirements. Of course if I were to eat rice cakes or something like that I could eat the entire box, crackers and the like just slide right through. Cheese goes down pretty easily too so I could probably get some protein there, but it's a pretty high calorie protein source too.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Heather-I appreciate the reminder to avoid fads post wls. There is a clinic here that does a weight loss program....of course I thought about going because I still have that mentality. The reality is the diet pills I use to take probably tanked my metabolism and certainly didn't teach me any good habits.i totally was addicted to the "energy" they gave me. My house was never so clean but I felt craaaaaazy.
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
So I am 10 months out, and for the most part find eating on plan doable. I get tempted sometimes, and have imperfect moments, but I cherish that in control feeling , so eating well is self-reinforcing. As I get further along, I am on the look out for "slippage" because I heed the call of our more experienced WLS people and know it might not always be so simple. So yesterday someone passed some bars around at lunch, looked delectable, but I passed. Fast forward, I wake up from a nap and inexplicibly find myself shoving a handful of crunh and munch toffee popcorn into my mouth, albeit chewing well because I'm terrified of foamies. WTH??? How did I end up here? Now in our house we like to say, you never dine alone because we have a yellow lab who is by your side the instant she hears a rustle in the kitchen ~ as I'm stuffing popcorn in and chewing well I forced myself to pour the box out onto the floor, no time to even walk to the sink or trash. The dog was ecstatic, I was pissed. I've spent some time thinking about what triggered this.... I believe it had something to do with the bars, and maybe I should have had a tiny sliver and I think I would have been done with it... will ponder some more. Lesson: add crunch and munch to the chip/dip ban AND it ain't ever over!! Today, back in control and no cravings, thank heavens.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #82

I did 22 minutes on the bike yesterday so I increased it by 10%. Today I want to do a min of 25 minutes. I am doing great on my water goal too. Today I am really tired though. Not sure why.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #83

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Jesse, did you literally wake up and find yourself doing that? Has it ever happened before? I have a bit of NSRED (nocturnal/sleep related eating disorder). Watch our for that.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My labs have come back and I'm low on Vitamin A. Has that happened to anyone else?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #85

In a bit of a funk. My daughter just turned 18 in February. She's been coming home with odd bruises and late hours. Found out she just quit her job because the whole 8 hours (MAYBE) she was working was too much for her. Anyway, come home yesterday from work and there are beer bottles in her room. Just two that I can find. That was pretty much the last straw. Texted her, because she wasn't home of course to tell her to get out of my house and don't take anything she didn't buy herself. Looking through her other things it's just pretty much been drinking lying and partying for a while now. I've been through this with her twice before since she was 14. I've washed my hands of her and it's the hardest thing I've done. She's not welcome back as she is now.

Anyway, I ate a lot of Pringles in bed last night and I sure want to eat some more stuff right now. Good thing I don't have anything on me.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time with her, I was a real brat at 18 myself, drugs and alcohol and all that. Though here 18 is the legal drinking age so the drinking itself wasn't really a problem. I am sure she will snap out of it eventually but right now that probably doesn't make you feel any better and there's probably nothing much that you could say that would get through to her. The thing that you DO have control over right now though is your emotional eating. Empower yourself, you are a strong woman who has overcome so much, look where you are now! Take deep breaths, the urge to binge on junk should pass, try to examine your feelings next time it happens. Think "Deep down I know I don't want this, I know that I will regret it, this is just coming from a primal part of me and I can overcome this". Is there anything else you can do to relieve your stress? Bubble bath, yoga, ummm, knitting? Keep your hands busy so you're not reaching for the chips? Just sitting on your hands?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #87

Quote:
I'm sorry you're having such a tough time with her, I was a real brat at 18 myself, drugs and alcohol and all that. Though here 18 is the legal drinking age so the drinking itself wasn't really a problem. I am sure she will snap out of it eventually but right now that probably doesn't make you feel any better and there's probably nothing much that you could say that would get through to her. The thing that you DO have control over right now though is your emotional eating. Empower yourself, you are a strong woman who has overcome so much, look where you are now! Take deep breaths, the urge to binge on junk should pass, try to examine your feelings next time it happens. Think "Deep down I know I don't want this, I know that I will regret it, this is just coming from a primal part of me and I can overcome this". Is there anything else you can do to relieve your stress? Bubble bath, yoga, ummm, knitting? Keep your hands busy so you're not reaching for the chips? Just sitting on your hands?
It makes me physically nauseous to think I'm abandoning her to this. In the past few years she's been caught shoplifting, she's had a MIP, a Failure to Identify, and various other things that were not ticketed. And I give her everything she needs/wants but this whole time she was just drinking and lying to me about it. And all I want to do is to keep protecting her, but instead I tossed her out right in the middle of it all to keep doing it. I don't even know if she's going to go to college or what - she's been so unmotivated about the whole thing!!!! All I know is - no job, no college then no home. I can't foot the bill for her to be like this.

I literally feel on edge and the only thing that can calm me is putting food in my mouth. I feel this way deep down in me and it's hard to fight. If I were home, I'd be eating. But I'm at work and again, I have nothing here. Lots of tea and decaf.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know what an MIP was, but as I said, I was a brat too. I was also caught shoplifting, I smoked, I snuck into bars when I was 15, I hung out with drug addicts, which in turn made me try drugs (thankfully I was never an addict, I did things like acid and shrooms on the weekends, nothing really addictive). Anyways my point is that teenagers suck, and you can do everything right and still end up with a rebel. My parents are/were wonderful to me, and still I wanted to rebel, I wanted blue hair, I wanted a piercing, I wanted a tattoo, I wanted anything that I knew they'd say no to just so I could throw it back into their face that they never let me have ANYTHING *stomps feet*. Hopefully this will be the harsh wake up call that she needs. She probably won't stop drinking if her friends do it, friends at that age are everything. But maybe eventually you guys can have some sort of open communication. My mother was not happy with what I was doing. She did not condone it in any way, but she did make it clear that no matter how much we fought, if I was EVER in any way in trouble, I should NEVER feel that I can't ask her for help, that even if it's 4 am she'd go pick me up or help me. In some way I understood that was her way of saying she didn't condone what I was doing but she cared. I did grow out of it, it's a bit different here since the legal drinking age is 18 so ALL 18 year olds go clubbing, by the time we're 20 we're kind of done with that whole thing. I'm 35 now and I can't even remember the last time I had a sip of alcohol, probably my cruise in Jan 2011 (hey, we cruised from New Orleans, it was so a booze cruise). She'll snap out of it, just keep the communication lines open. Tell her that it hurts too much to see her like this but when she's ready you're willing to talk.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #89
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
I'm sorry you're going through this, Heather. I was also a rebellious teenager, throw in some shoplifting, school expulsion, miscellaneous criminal activities, had my kids when I was 16 and barely 18, with a very short marriage to their sperm donor thrown in for extra drama. My daughter is almost 32 and she still hasn't snapped out of it. She went far beyond what either you or Julie have described and no one in my extended family has any communication with her. This is her choosing, so power to her. Her brother, who had all of the same advantages and disadvantages as her, is a wonderful person, a productive member of society, and the best son a mother could hope for. I stopped feeling guilt and remorse over her a long time ago.

Of course, I hope your relationship turns out differently than mine - but take care of yourself too.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #90

Hugs Heather.