Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Oh no, Heather, a broken toe???? That must be painful. I think I broke my little toe a few months ago but never got it checked. It's fine now but it hurt everyday when I walked for a few weeks.
There's really no point in getting it checked out anyway. Unless it's shattered broken (and then you'd know!) there's nothing they would do for it. Just say, yup it's broken. Take it easy. And then hand you a bill.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Ugh.... you guys. Seriously.

I had pneumonia, so I quit going to the gym because I literally couldn't breathe. Now I can, but I seem to have lost my motivation. Crazy, I know.

I just feel really out of control this month, and I don't know why.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
back from Florida ~ a lot of snow melted while I was gone, but there are still snowbanks on the sides of my driveway and snow patches in my front yard. My last purchase before I left was a size 14 misses swimsuit from Beull's Outlet. Quire a bit smaller than my previous size 24W . I was fighting a cold all week, the first I had in 9 months! (Vitamin D?) but it really took hold on the plane home. I'm sure my seatmates were delighted . Wiped out today but getting better. Back to my regularily scheduled life and WL goals on Monday. (too sick to exercise today).
Old 04-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnopedie View Post
Ugh.... you guys. Seriously.

I had pneumonia, so I quit going to the gym because I literally couldn't breathe. Now I can, but I seem to have lost my motivation. Crazy, I know.

I just feel really out of control this month, and I don't know why.
The only way to fix that is to just get up and do it. Seriously. Thinking about it, talking about it, worrying abut it - doesn't work. Just change, put on the shoes and take off.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Yep. Sometimes you have to force yourself. I've done that several times recently.

I walked/jogged for just about an hour today - and since the other day I only went about 20 min, that helps. Eating was good most of the day - I did just have a few fries and one bite of a BK burger. It was way too good, and I'm glad the owner of the burger took it back from me! Continuing to work on upping the water...
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Melodye
Stats: 209/199/160
WOE: WW
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Hello everyone, I am having a great weekend so far. Girls and I went to park yesterday and took dog. It was so nice outside yesterday. I am trying to get all my fluids in each day as well as getting my exercise in. I so want to get out of the 190's this month ad into the 180's.
Melodye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #37

Posted in the other thread but adding here too. Yesterday's Color Run. Y'all that were thinking about doing it but didn't... super fun! Next year!!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I am still really considering a 5K...there's one in 2 weeks and I just might have to do it. Yours sure sounded and looked like fun!

Great job, Melodye, sounds fun too!

That said, I totally overslept and didn't exercise yet today. I am thinking about some Just Dance 4 with my daugher. That would count for something! Case closed - I'll do it!

I was up to 198.6 O,O Today I am 195.4 My goal for next Sunday is 192.something.

Eating is on track. So far I've only had water, iced tea, and part of a protein shake. I will hold it together today!!!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I am still really considering a 5K...there's one in 2 weeks and I just might have to do it. Yours sure sounded and looked like fun.
It totally was! There are some cool ones out there too. In July I did a water one that was fun too. Oh but HOT lol. I say just do it!

If I can swing it theres one in May I want to do. A Biggest Loser mud/obstacle run. It's $60 each which is on par for a mud run.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #40

Now that it's Sunday - how did our water challenge go?

I did good, except for the weekend. I suck at fluids on weekends.

What's our challenge for the next week? I'm intrigued by the idea of clean eating,and whole foods.

We could also do an exercise challenge instead since we seem to have struggles there...
Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #41

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Now that it's Sunday - how did our water challenge go?

I did good, except for the weekend. I suck at fluids on weekends.

What's our challenge for the next week? I'm intrigued by the idea of clean eating,and whole foods.

We could also do an exercise challenge instead since we seem to have struggles there...
I am terrible at getting my water in on the weekends. Just have a tough time doing it. Although at least I got in my protein shake for breakfast.

Exercise is a BIG challenge for me but it would be a good one.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
I am terrible at getting my water in on the weekends. Just have a tough time doing it. Although at least I got in my protein shake for breakfast.

Exercise is a BIG challenge for me but it would be a good one.
So maybe let's build this week on last week's challenge...?

Continue to hydrate at least 64 oz a day - preferably more. AND get 30 minutes of exercise each day this week. You can bank an hour on one day and miss the next if you need to. Just so you get 210 minutes this week. That's 30 minutes a day times seven days. Three hours and 10 minutes.

I posted this on the other thread but I think I thought I was over here when I was typing it.

Quote:
My morning weight today was 150. My workouts are there... 7 hours last week. My calories have 99% of the time been under my daily burn. So I'm not sure what is going on and I can only attribute it to the *types* of food I've been eating and not so much how much food I've been eating. I've been reading about initial weight gain when starting a new high intensity workout (like Insanity) for the first couple of weeks - and that makes sense because of all the soreness and muscle repair going on... you hold quite a bit of water in damaged muscle. I'm also seriously bloated and constipated (TMI!)... I'm pretty sure it's from the sf candy too! I've been eating that like, well, candy! I took something last night and hopefully that will help.
I need to work on getting all of this under control. This morning has me 6 pounds above my usual home weight and about 2-3 pounds above my comfortable bounce zone. I just need to figure out what it is causing it and fix it. Hopefully it's the bathroom issue...
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Goals for the week:

Drink water and tea only

Weigh daily

Protein shakes for breakfast/LC meals and snacks rest of the day
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
5 months ago today I had VSG surgery, best decision ever! As of this morning I'm down 74 pounds from surgery day. The weight loss has slowed over the past month, which I was counting on.... I started lifting weights at the gym AND started taking an antidepressant/antianxiety med so I kind of figured that may impact my weight a bit, but overall it's still going great. My fitness is improving so much, I used to have trouble walking to the corner of the street, (my back would hurt), now I am walking about 5 miles a day plus working with a personal trainer twice a week at the gym

My hair though, ugh... I can't wait for this hair loss to slow down, I lose big clumps of it when I wash it and I have to empty out my hairbrush so often, I've lost a LOT of volume over the past month or two!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
5 months ago today I had VSG surgery, best decision ever! As of this morning I'm down 74 pounds from surgery day. The weight loss has slowed over the past month, which I was counting on.... I started lifting weights at the gym AND started taking an antidepressant/antianxiety med so I kind of figured that may impact my weight a bit, but overall it's still going great. My fitness is improving so much, I used to have trouble walking to the corner of the street, (my back would hurt), now I am walking about 5 miles a day plus working with a personal trainer twice a week at the gym

My hair though, ugh... I can't wait for this hair loss to slow down, I lose big clumps of it when I wash it and I have to empty out my hairbrush so often, I've lost a LOT of volume over the past month or two!
Yep, me too with the hair. Ugh.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnopedie View Post
Yep, me too with the hair. Ugh.
Mine too, but promise it comes back! Mine was from about 2 1/2-3 months out to about 7 months... there's a hair cycle and it's related to the surgery and anesthetic not neccesarily the diet (although diet helps with regrowth). You've got active growth, statis, loss and regrowth. There are special names, anagen, catagen, telagen - but basically that's what it is. Anesthesia disrupts the cycle, pushing you into the loss phase, which lasts 2-4 months. Once the trauma occurs (about 5-6 weeks prior) there's nothing you can do to prevent it. You can however help with regrowth *when the time comes* by eating plenty of protein and supplementing with Biotin. Know that Biotin isn't selective about WHERE it helps grow hair - if you have hair there it increases it. Just ask my arms and upper lip lol! Protein and Biotin won't stop the loss but will improve the regrowth after the loss is over.

Mine fell out for about 4 months - we're talking balls of hair in the shower every single time. I eventually cut it short, the balls look so much smaller when the strands are shorter! It regrew, but now it's super curly instead of barely wavy.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #47

Everyone remember the 30 minute a day (or 210 a week) exercise/activity challenge!

I did 60 minutes of activity yesterday and plan for at least 60 today.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do 10000 steps per day, so for me that usually is about 1.5 hours of walking a day, so I've got the 30 minutes covered
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #49

Quote:
I do 10000 steps per day, so for me that usually is about 1.5 hours of walking a day, so I've got the 30 minutes covered

Outside of your usual daily tasks/activities? I rack a million at work somedays. I'm going to challenge myself to get the extra 30/day outside of that.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My "job" is graphic design, so that's me sitting on my butt in front of the computer all day. If I wore my Fitbit and didn't make any conscious effort to get up and do stuff other than just going to grab a water from the fridge etc, I'd be doing less than 1000 steps per day. I work at home so my commute is really just walking down to the basement. I do have a treadmill though so what I've been doing is making an effort to get off my butt every hour or so and doing at least 10 minutes on the treadmill, it adds up quickly and I think it's good for my creativity too, to not just keep staring at the same image all day. I walk to/from the gym, I walk to pick up my daughter after school, that's something I'd have to do regardless so that's maybe 2500 steps out of my 10k. Still, It's at least 50 minutes of treadmill on top of regular walking, sometimes more. On the treadmill I'll alternate a light jog with walking at an incline.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #51

Quote:
I do have a treadmill though so what I've been doing is making an effort to get off my butt every hour or so and doing at least 10 minutes on the treadmill
This is a great idea for getting extra activity in. We're building a new hospital and managers and directors have the option of getting a treadmill desk instead of a traditional desk. I think it only does 1-2 mph at the most but that's still keeping you moving. I think it's the perfect set up for phone conferences and web meetings, but maybe not so much for typing and etc! I've considered getting one of those pedal things for under my current desk... it'd be awesome if I had enough room for a treadmill AND a regular desk lol but my office - while bigger than some - isn't really that big. I take the stairs a lot, and often go up an extra flight just to come back down to the floor I'm really going to. Right now we're only 3 stories but the new building will be 6 or 7.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Eep walking 1-2 mph would be so annoying for me, it would be like having to force yourself to walk reaaaaaaaaaaaaally slow. 2.5mph for me is a leisurely stroll, 3mph would be my normal walk. At 1mph I think I'd be nearly standing still But yeah, I think it would be quite annoying to have to type while walking I have a pretty sweet setup, my treadmill has a little ledge to hold my iPad so I can stream Netflix while I'm on it, but usually I find music more motivating. Or I just walk in silence and think. I would love a recumbent bike, they have some at the gym and that and the rower are my go tos for my pre-weight lifting warm up. I loathe the eliptical!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Doing a quick drive by I haven't checked in here for awhile I hope everyone is doing well.

I am doing ok, working a lot I am having some trouble stabilizing my weight. I eat A LOT and haven't followed my plan in months (still dont use a straw or drink soda though)but I keep dropping weight. I have quite a bit of excess skin and am getting a little concerned with my weight dropping. I bet Ii easily have 10-15 pounds of excess skin I work at the Olive Garden and eat Alfredo, lasagna, deep fried stuff, breadsticks, mints up the wazoo, ice cream, McDonald's, Burger King etc. without the skin I bet I am in the 140's and I am 5'8" and my face is getting way too thin.

Any suggestions on how to stop losing? I do burn about 4,000 calories a day according to my bodybugg on days I work. I have not started working out and now I am kind of afraid to.

Last edited by Chrissykin; 04-10-2013 at 07:18 AM..
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
Doing a quick drive by I haven't checked in here for awhile I hope everyone is doing well.

I am doing ok, working a lot I am having some trouble stabilizing my weight. I eat A LOT and haven't followed my plan in months (still dont use a straw or drink soda though)but I keep dropping weight. I have quite a bit of excess skin and am getting a little concerned with my weight dropping. I bet i easily have 10-15 pounds of excess skin I work at the Olive Garden and eat Alfredo, lasagna, deep fried stuff, breadsticks, mints up the wazoo, ice cream, McDonald's, Burger King etc. without the skin I bet I am in the 140's and I am 5'8" and my face is getting way to thin.

Any suggestions on how to stop losing? I do burn about 4,000 calories a day according to my bodybugg on days I work. I have no started working out and now I am kind of afraid to.
First of all, nothing wrong with being in the 140's. And you still have a LOT of honeymoon period left to lose, you are under a year out right? You have probably another 6-12 months of losing to go. Not as rapid as the first year but still losing.

Second of all, you are eating all the wrong things. Seriously. You are trying to stop losing right now, but soon that won't be an issue and if you are in the habit of eating those things then you will set yourself up for some serious struggles. Just concerned.

A 4000 calorie a day burn, I'm jealous! I burn about 2500 on my most active days, but I have a desk job and get a lot of that by working out. Olive Garden must be a workout by itself!!! Curious, what do you burn on days you don't work?

You say you eat a lot. What exactly is a lot? A lot of calories or a lot of food? There's a difference. How many meals a day? Any protein? How much?

Now that I said some things that I HOPE you didn't take the wrong way (because text always comes across differently than you intend it to!) let's talk about things you CAN do to increase calories in a better way.

Protein drinks. If you aren't drinking them now then you need to start. And I would recommend adding fruit and peanut butter to them. Not tons, but enough to up the calories. And make them with milk.

Lean protein, beans, nuts, full fat dairy. Add them between meals. Avocado, if you like it. Protein oatmeal with fruit. Whole wheat pasta adn brown rice if you can stomach it. You want to eat at least 6 meals a day, more if you can get them in.

Your best bet right now for rapidly increasing calories is liquid calories (protein drinks and low or no sugar smoothies). That way when you finally start to stabilize you can easily cut them down to better levels to maintain. It's not as easy to change the types of foods you are eating when you've started to eat high fat full sugar foods.

I know it sounds contradictory since you are not trying to lose any more weight - but try strength training. Increasing muscle increases weight without adding bulk.

How tall are you? A good rule of thumb is 100 pounds for the first 5 feet and 5 pounds for each inch after that. My "ideal" 100% extra body fat lost weight is 134 according to my surgeon. According to the formula my ideal weight is 130... so it's pretty spot on. And I didn't look bad at 133 either. I'm 5'6".

And just to hopefully help you feel a little better - skin never weighs as much as we think it does. It's the fat underneath that holds weight. If it's just skin it's probably not 10 pounds worth. I estimate mine to be about 3 pounds right now, and I've lost 150.

I think it's just that we hit a phase where we finally see the weight loss in the mirror and in comparison to what we are used to seeing it just looks so gaunt!

Please don't take offense to anything, I know it might come across that way but I didn't mean any of it to be mean or judgemental or scolding! I am just rambling and offering some advice based on my background.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #55

Quote:
Eep walking 1-2 mph would be so annoying for me, it would be like having to force yourself to walk reaaaaaaaaaaaaally slow. 2.5mph for me is a leisurely stroll, 3mph would be my normal walk. At 1mph I think I'd be nearly standing still But yeah, I think it would be quite annoying to have to type while walking I have a pretty sweet setup, my treadmill has a little ledge to hold my iPad so I can stream Netflix while I'm on it, but usually I find music more motivating. Or I just walk in silence and think. I would love a recumbent bike, they have some at the gym and that and the rower are my go tos for my pre-weight lifting warm up. I loathe the eliptical!
Me too! Walking with my hubby at 3.5 mph was killer too lol. I want to run! I want to do 8.5 mph sprints lol!

But I can see for an office desk how 1-2 mph might be a little more conducive to actually working. And hopefully not sweating.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Heather, I am 5'8" and am easily eating over 2,000 calories a day. I do drink two venti mochas a day from Starbucks so that is easily 600 calories a day right there. On my days off I burn around 1,500 to 2,000 calories. I am pretty active now. I eat a lot of calories and food

As for the skin, I do have a lot, I hate it with a passion. I am thin, my size 12's are starting to fall off and I am big boned. My face is starting to really show wrinkles. My surgery will be a year in July.

I wanted to add my surgeon told me to call goal 11 pounds ago and I have not been trying to lose since then.

Last edited by Chrissykin; 04-10-2013 at 07:56 AM..
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
Heather, I am 5'8" and am easily eating over 2,000 calories a day. I do drink two venti mochas a day from Starbucks so that is easily 600 calories a day right there. On my days off I burn around 1,500 to 2,000 calories. I am pretty active now. I eat a lot of calories and food

As for the skin, I do have a lot, I hate it with a passion. I am thin, my size 12's are starting to fall off and I am big boned. My face is starting to really show wrinkles. My surgery will be a year in July.
You're a lot taller than I was hoping lol.

Even so, you'll probably lose about 4 more sizes and perhaps end up in a size 4-6 before it's all said and done at the rate you are going. I was always big boned before all the weight came off - but really I wasn't! What's your wrist circumference? (Or which finger can you touch your thumb with around your wrist - mine is thumb and pinky).

I posted a picture of me a few days ago. In that picture I'm 5'6" and 149 pounds. The clothes are size small. I wear a 2, 4, or 6 depending on brand. I think I went through a period where I looked horrible. I'll find a pic and post it - and I think it was right about the same size you are now.

The first one is about a size 12. The second one is at my lowest of 133. And the last one is last weekend at 149.

Totally no help to you I know! I just wanted to show you the phase I thought I looked like you think you do, and that even though I lost a lot more weight it turned itself around. I'm thin now but I don't think I look too thin like I did at that point in time.

Mmmmm starbucks. I have one (sf decaf) every Saturday after yoga. Usually a cinnamon dolce. My fave used to be the white chocolate mocha (peppermint if holidays) pre-op.

All my experience is with a RNY and malabsorption, hopefully someone with a VSG can come in and offer more advice or give you their experiences with weight loss. I don't know that you can physically eat 4000 calories a day to maintain your current weight. You'd be eating ALL the time and probably feel pretty darn sick!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (9.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 133.jpg (24.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg color run.jpg (47.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #58

Ah just for , you know all of us that are 2 1/2-3 years out are most likely all saying "Man! I'd love to have that problem!"

I know that doesn't help you right now though. But that was totally my first thought this far out.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My fear is that you'd get used to eating those foods and one day wake up and the pounds are coming back on. I think they say that your intestines eventually get more efficient at absorbing calories after 12-18 months, and a lot of those foods that you're eating are slider foods that won't stay long in the stomach, I mean I understand that may be a conscious choice because you don't want to lose anymore. Also nutrition wise since none of those things you listed are particularly nutritious... do you still have a lot of restriction when you eat lean protein? I'm only 5 months out and I still have a good 80 more pounds to go at least, but I do a lot of protein shakes to help me get as much protein in as I can.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
The first one is about a size 12. The second one is at my lowest of 133. And the last one is last weekend at 149.
Your thighs are beautiful... did you need any plastic surgery? My thighs are a big mess. And my arms. I'm thinking shorts are never going to be in my future without a big ol scar from knee to groin.

Oh and for that bone test, no way I could touch my pinkie to my thumb but I can touch my ringfinger and middle finger (not the index finger).