LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GabyBaby
Stats: 174/167/135
WOE: Low carbs
Start Date: February 2013
Anyone 10+ Years Post-RNY?

Are any of you 5 or more years post op and struggling with some regain?

I had my surgery in late 2002, and maintained a 150lb loss for over 8 years before I started gaining weight (relaxed my exercise and slipped back into poor eating habits). I've gained back approx 40lbs and am back on a low carb eating plan to get the weight off and maintain.
GabyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Morning! I think there are a few people that are 5+ years out here, but I don't know that they post too often. Hopefully they'll come in and add their experiences.

I'm 3 years out (several of us that post more frequently are of that time frame as well) and I can see the struggles that come with being farther out. I have them now. Exercise is easy to ignore if you don't make it a priority. Food is easier to get in, and in larger quantities. Life starts getting in the way.

If you hop over to the two main threads you'll see people posting about their current struggles with regain and maintaining. Feel free to join in.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I am 3 years out, too. I can see how it can happen (regain). I think mysstwalker is farther out than anyone else on the board? (5 plus yrs) and I think she had rny too.

Oh, and lisabinil ... she's quite far out too.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I'm only 2.5 years out (barely) but it seems like I've had it a lot longer than that... O,o This always has been, and continues to be HARD!!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for your responses!
It is a continued struggle and I'll say the further out I am, the harder it gets. But, I'm glad that I'm trying to get my weight back under control NOW as opposed to another 40lbs from now.
I've so far lost 10 of the 40lbs I'd gained back and I'm feeling better already. I am still surprised (though I shouldn't be) at how much harder it is to lose the weight despite having had surgery.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #7

I hope you'll stick around this board and participate in the monthly threads... a good percentage of us are past the honeymoon phase and fighting the daily battle!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I will, thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #9

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I will be 13 yrs out this June. Check out the 5 day pouch test-it helps me get my eating on track when I am having problems-you can Google for more info.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: red65
Hi all,

I am brand new here but not to WLS. I had the VBG (vertical banded gastroplasty aka stomach stapling) in 9/97 and lost 90lbs then hit a wall followed by a slow regain. My surgeon refused to work with me to see what was going on, told me that obviously I was out-eating the surgery and it was certainly NO failure on his part! That kept me in shame and self-hatred for another year until some onine friends urged me to contact another surgeon to see about a revision.

Long story short(er) is I saw the new surgeon, he performed tests and it WAS a mechanical failure of the surgery! The silastic ring was gone which left the pouch intact but nothing to slow the food from dropping from the pouch into the rest of the stomach.

In May of 2000 I was revised to an RNY. I lost the rest of the weight that I wanted/needed to but also am dealing with a substantial regain that I must address. As a result my high blood pressure is back and am on 2 meds for that and I am a Type 2 diabetic on 2 meds that so far haven't controlled it.

I'm here to get back on track in my eating. Low carb works. I KNOW it works and right now it is my best shot at getting the diabetes back under control and the high blood pressure. I have multiple health problems that won't be hurt by weightloss and can only be helped or have a neutral effect.

Ok, sorry for the long post. I have so much more I could share of my story but I won't subject ya'll to that unless I see a need in response to another's possible struggles. Deal?? LOL!!

Have a great Saturday!
Kellye
red65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #11

Kellye I don't think anyone would complain if you share more of your story, I know I struggle every week if not daily.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: upnort3
Stats: 217/195/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2012
I had my RNY in 98. I lost about a 120 lbs. By 2004 I had gained back about 70 lbs. I went back to the surgeon and he agreed to change the RNY to a ERNY (elongated RNY). So I had less intestine to absorb nutrients. By 2006 I became very malnourished. I had to be hospitalized twice and home on temporary nutrition twice. I had to have my gallbladder out so at that time the surgeon and I agreed to partially reverse the ERNY. So now I am in the middle of an RNY and a ERNY.

But I tell you this so others don't make the same mistake I did. I started eating little bites of chocolate and soon I realized I could eat a whole candy bar. I started eating processed food. And pretty soon I realized I could a ton of carby food and never feel full. I know the best thing for me to do is stay away from processed food., eat whole food and low carb. It's important to take your vitamins and get your labs done. I struggle with low vita D and low iron. I take lots of vitamins faithfully. Do I regret the surgeries? No, I don't. I would do it again. I just have to be sure I get the extra nutrients I need. (I get tired of the protein shakes!)

It can be a daily struggle at times. But I have found good advice here and with a few other forums. Just make sure you do your labs. It is so important to find out if you are lacking any nutrients.
upnort3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks so much for sharing your situations and struggles. I am only 2.5 years out and already feeling the effects of "bad eating," which I MUST get under control now. Please continue to share your stories.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I will be 13 yrs out this June. Check out the 5 day pouch test-it helps me get my eating on track when I am having problems-you can Google for more info.
I'd forgotten about the 5 day pouch test. I will definitely give it a go!
Thank you!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DeeLen
Stats: (286.6 before WLS)
WOE: WLS 4/25/06
Hi all. I don't post here regularly but lurk often.

I had RNY 4/25/06--Almost my 7 year anniversary. I went from 286 to 145 within the first year. Then promptly gained it all back plus 10 more pounds. You can fix the stomach but not the brain. I "beat the pouch" by eating all day long every day. It's definitely a daily struggle.

I am proud to say that I still take my vitamins religiously.
DeeLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeLen View Post
It's definitely a daily struggle.
Absolutely. At just 3 years out it's a struggle and I know I have the rest of my life to battle. The surgery GETS you there... but does nothing about teaching you how to stay there. The brain part is super key... I really wish that they would do a little more education, psych visits and follow up on THAT part of the journey.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

I totally agree - the psychological angle of this is really overlooked.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #18

I just found out that one of my new colleagues had WLS (he did not tell me, someone else did), came back just a month later seriously trimmer, got pretty slim, then gained it all back. All within a matter of less than two years. It made me sad for him but also made me realize the more I "allow" myself to slip up, the more I "allow" creep ups in my weight, the less likely I will be able to maintain my weight for life.

Eternal diligence.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JerseyJudy
Hi there. I'm coming out of lurk mode to share my experience... I had my RNY done in April 2003. Right after New Years I was thinking about my 10-year WLS anniversary coming up and it made me look at what the heck I'm doing to my health. I originally lost 140 lbs post-op, and in the past 8 years I've gained back 100. I had started increasing my carb intake and figured if I overate it was no big deal because I had malabsorption on my side. I kept eating more and more chocolate until I no longer had any dumping effects. So in January I went back to basics- protein shakes, carbs only from fruits or vegetables whenever possible, eating protein first. I've lost 25 so far, and it's SO SLOW coming back off! I am really working on getting my mind healthy and not relying on the WLS, lots of reading books by Gary Taubes, Drs Lustig, Heller and Davis to help keep me on track with managing my carb addiction. Good luck to all of us as we fight the regain!
JerseyJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJudy View Post
Hi there. I'm coming out of lurk mode to share my experience... I had my RNY done in April 2003. Right after New Years I was thinking about my 10-year WLS anniversary coming up and it made me look at what the heck I'm doing to my health. I originally lost 140 lbs post-op, and in the past 8 years I've gained back 100. I had started increasing my carb intake and figured if I overate it was no big deal because I had malabsorption on my side. I kept eating more and more chocolate until I no longer had any dumping effects. So in January I went back to basics- protein shakes, carbs only from fruits or vegetables whenever possible, eating protein first. I've lost 25 so far, and it's SO SLOW coming back off! I am really working on getting my mind healthy and not relying on the WLS, lots of reading books by Gary Taubes, Drs Lustig, Heller and Davis to help keep me on track with managing my carb addiction. Good luck to all of us as we fight the regain!
Hi, and welcome to non-lurk mode! We have two daily threads that people post in more frequently, so feel free to join us over there too! The Wagon and the daily food/exercise threads. We hold ourselves accountable over there.

Way to go on the loss so far! Isn't it amazing how just doing what we are supposed to do works for us!? I wish my head would remember that more often than it does...
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJudy View Post
I've lost 25 so far, and it's SO SLOW coming back off!
I completely feel your pain on this one.
I've managed to lose 10lbs in the last 2 months with 30 more to go....*sigh*
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
I quickly dropped 160 pounds after my RNY seven years ago. I put around 20 back on, thanks to bad eating habits (it takes a lot to get me to dump...) that formed because I was ill a lot and couldn't stop dropping weight. I managed to maintain there for several years, until depression got the better of me a couple years ago and I packed on another 40 pounds.

In January, I decided I'd had enough. My wife was getting a sleeve, so I knew the family needed to change for her. I decided to start Atkins then. I'm now down 44 pounds. I had a week head start on my wife's surgery, but, beyond that, we are running neck-in-neck for weight loss. And, all told, the family is down close to 150 pounds!

The combination of the RNY and low carb has worked very well for me. I can't eat as much as a typical low-carber, so I am nice and full while keeping calories in check. The tool may be bent and rusty, but it still works.

This time, I've decided to not let bad habits get the better of me. Even if the same thing were to happen, I'll approach the problem differently so I don't regain. In short, my days of carb-binging are long gone!
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #23

What a positive report! Congrats to you and your wife!!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah View Post
I quickly dropped 160 pounds after my RNY seven years ago. I put around 20 back on, thanks to bad eating habits (it takes a lot to get me to dump...) that formed because I was ill a lot and couldn't stop dropping weight. I managed to maintain there for several years, until depression got the better of me a couple years ago and I packed on another 40 pounds.

In January, I decided I'd had enough. My wife was getting a sleeve, so I knew the family needed to change for her. I decided to start Atkins then. I'm now down 44 pounds. I had a week head start on my wife's surgery, but, beyond that, we are running neck-in-neck for weight loss. And, all told, the family is down close to 150 pounds!

The combination of the RNY and low carb has worked very well for me. I can't eat as much as a typical low-carber, so I am nice and full while keeping calories in check. The tool may be bent and rusty, but it still works.

This time, I've decided to not let bad habits get the better of me. Even if the same thing were to happen, I'll approach the problem differently so I don't regain. In short, my days of carb-binging are long gone!
Way to get back on track and congrats to your wife too!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
I had RNY in 1999, my highest recorded weight was 287, I currently weigh 150, I am 5'4'.My weight seems to teeter and totter between 140-160 depending. I changed jobs about a year ago to something very sedentary, so even though I was never much of an excercizer work kept me somewhat active. 140 was pretty easy to maintain, once job changed it was a struggle. I don't know why I have such a mental block to excecise because I know it would make all of the difference but I start and then quickly stop. Maintenance is always a struggle but the 5 day pouch test is helpful if you can make it through the 5 days. I'm lucky in that I still have all of the dumping problems with sugar so I don't eat too much of that stuff, and now when I binge it is usually with fruit and veggies. I'm talking a whole watermelon in the course of a couple of days or 1/2 dozen ears of corn. I use the term binge, but I can honestly say I don't "binge" eat in the usual terms. I always try a stick faithfully to low carb and I think that makes a differences. People I know that have had surgery that wonder why they haven't done as well as I have is because they follow their dieticians advice to eat a "balanced" diet.I tell them that advice will not serve them well in the long run but they don't listen, I guess they have to learn the hard way.
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote