LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moonbeam_2
Stats: 312/230/140 5'2"
WOE: just hanging on!
Start Date: 2/1/13
vsg diet

Hi, I had my surgery on 2/1, and have not lost anything in about six weeks. I have lost about 22 lbs total....all in the first 2 weeks. Would any vsg-ers mind sharing their menu? I'm really frustrated, and am regretting doing this.

Thanks
moonbeam_2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
There are a few on the what are you eating/doing today thread. That's where the menus are posted.

Chances are you are just in a stall... that usually hits between 6-8 weeks out from my experience.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
I had a vsg last June. I use an online tracker and the numbers I am tracking are calories and protein. Some people track carbs very closely, but I don't follow that as closely and I found I lost just as well. The carbs I do eat though are healthy ones , brown rice, vegetables, fruit. So the numbers i shoot for are 800 calories or less, and 60 grams of protein minimum. when I was about 2-4 months out I usually ate closer to 600 calories, but as I got further along and added more exercise, I found I needed more in order to have any energy. I have had a couple of "stalls" but they were not as long as some people have to deal with. On the other hand, except for right after surgery, I don't think I ever lost more than 12 pounds in any one month. I don't consider myself a slow loser, but I'm not fast either. I'm pretty steady, so I am happy with where I'm at dietwise. I will say, I lost BETTER after the first 3 months, weird huh? It's like it took my body awhile to get the fat burning furnace up and running. My advice would be to make sure you are tracking, make sure you are eating enough protein (my doc says 60 grams, others say more), only good carbs, stay under 800 calories if you can (this plus protein goal will already limit how much fat and carbs you have room for), 64 ounces water (I do use crystal light in my water) minimum, be mindful of carbs if you are going to eat them don't eat processed foods, eat healthy carbs like whole grains, dairy, fruits and vegetables and some kind of exercise. I'm no workout queen, but something you can do with regularity over time will add up to better fitness and it helps a lot with stress. Good luck, weight loss will come! Keep the faith and keep posting and reading for support and ideas.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I would add, I follow the not drinking for 30 minutes after eating without fail. I do however, drink almost up until it's time to eat.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
make sure you are eating enough protein (my doc says 60 grams, others say more
Ditto. Big ditto. My doc recommends 60g minimum. A good rule of thumb is 1.5g X your ideal body weight (not current body weight or goal weight). For me that would be about 65g - BUT my body demands more from me. If I get below 120g a day my protein labs drop below normal levels. I just require so much. And the more muscle you build the more you'll need.

Muscle is your friend. It burns 10 calories per pound per hour just being muscle.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #6

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
A friend of mine is going through the same thing... she lost a huge amount of weight in the first two weeks, then nothing.... but she eats ANYTHING she wants as long as she feels like it's mush before she swallows it... for most of us with damage metabolisms, that just isn't gonna cut it.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #7

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
PS I am three years out, my menus probably aren't gonna help you, but I can tell you my surgeon's guidelines for the first year pretty much match Dr. Cirangle's and they are, IMO two of the best VSG surgeons in North America. They both recommend 600-800 calories, 60-90 protein, and less than 30 total carbs (not net!). Fat is whatever it is, you don't have to worry about it as long as your other numbers are correct.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Here is Dr Cirangle's guide:

RGB Diet Guide

I think you're normal, I lost for the first 2 weeks and then nothing (even gained a bit) for the next 4. There's a stall at 3 weeks, sometimes it happens a little early and sometimes a little late. It's not going to be your only stall either. Dr Cirangle recommends 90 grams of protein per day for women (more if you exercise), I try to do 120 on the days where I lift weights. My minimum is 70, some days I just can't reach 90 but I do try to get to 90 as often as possible. I'm 5 months post op and I still rely on protein shakes to get there, I can only eat half a chicken breast or one egg at a time so getting 90+ grams of protein through real food is a chore.

Last edited by Hazelsmrf; 04-08-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moonbeam_2
Stats: 312/230/140 5'2"
WOE: just hanging on!
Start Date: 2/1/13
Thanks ladies! I did lose a few more lbs last week, but it seems like any loss corresponds with my week off birth control. Time will tell I guess.

Protein is usually pretty high, but I don't do shakes. I haven't found one that doesn't trigger my gag reflex
moonbeam_2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam_2 View Post
Thanks ladies! I did lose a few more lbs last week, but it seems like any loss corresponds with my week off birth control. Time will tell I guess.

Protein is usually pretty high, but I don't do shakes. I haven't found one that doesn't trigger my gag reflex
Matrix mint cookie. yummy yummy yummy yummy. I sometimes drink 3 a day if I'm not feeling the food thing.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I spent about 100$ on protein samples from so many different companies. Even some that tasted fine pre VSG were way too sweet or tasted like protein after surgery. The only one I tolerate is the Premier Protein ready to drink shake, it tastes like chocolate milk to me and does not have any protein taste. It's also 30g of protein for 5g of carbs so I love it. It's only sold at Costco or Sam's Club I think?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam_2 View Post

Matrix Mint Cookie or the Syntrax Nectars... YUM
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #13

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
I spent about 100$ on protein samples from so many different companies. Even some that tasted fine pre VSG were way too sweet or tasted like protein after surgery. The only one I tolerate is the Premier Protein ready to drink shake, it tastes like chocolate milk to me and does not have any protein taste. It's also 30g of protein for 5g of carbs so I love it. It's only sold at Costco or Sam's Club I think?
These are the only rtd shakes I like too. I have one everyday for breakfast.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I HATED shakes after my surgery, and I also tried a million different brands and samples. Nectar Fuzzy Navel was the first one I could finally tolerate (I made it with water or milk, liked it both ways) and I finally decided to try the RTD Premier Protein everyone loves, and I agree, they're fine. It's not like ohhh yummmm, must have, but definately doable. Normally I don't like chocolate, but in this brand I prefer the chocolate to the vanilla. I can also drink EAS carb control (I get them at Walmart, 100 cal, 17 gr protein) I like the strawberry ones. Shakes will never be my favorite, but I like having some I can rely on to help meet my protein goals.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Meijer carries the Premier Protein RTD shakes. A 4-pack is almost $8. I second the Matrix mint cookie!
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ouch. I pay 25$ for a case of 18 at Costco in Canada, but from time to time they're on sale for 20$ so I buy a ton of cases when that happens. I drink at least 2 a day.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Savannah
Stats: 307.8/205/175
WOE: VSG 2/27/12 & low carb
Start Date: everyday
Sam's has Premier shakes for $16.84 or a case of 12
Kroger just started carrying them for $8.99 for 4

Guess where I go !!

I recently tried Protizyme Vanilla Cake OMG tastes like birthday cake
which i crave every now & then. I mix it with Greek yogurt & some Walden Farms Carmel tastes just like frosting to me. Just eat it on occasion
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've found that my taste for sweets has really changed since the surgery. The really dessert-y sweet tasting protein drinks just make me gag. There was this one I forget the name of it, but it was a banana one that tasted just like banana cream pie. I should have loved it, the first few sips I was in heaven, thinking it was like eating dessert. No way I could take more than a few sips though, it quickly grew sickening and I had to dump it. I think it was Champion nutrition Banana Scream or something like that, it had really good reviews. I think I would have really liked it before surgery. But now, no. I can eat one cookie, not two. Not because of the sleeve capacity, but because any more sugar and I feel sick.