Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Activity: Worked out on resistance machines and then shopping at Costco pushing around my heeeeaaavy cart Pure Protein Bars were on sale. I've never had them but I do eat Nature Valley Protein Bars which are only 10 grams of protein, so I thought I'd try them. Right now it is sitting like a lump in my stomach, which is good and bad. We're eating late tonight so maybe this will hold me. I thought they might make a good snack for my son before track practice too. We'll see if he likes them.
I only eat the Pure Protein bars. They are the only ones I've come across that meet my standards lol. Calorie to protein ratio is 10:1 or greater. No added sugar. Low sugar alcohol. And low fat.

I looked at the NV before but they were more like a snack or a treat than a protein bar. Too many calories for the amount of protein (almost a 20:1 ratio), too much sugar (and it was the 4th ingredient in the list - too high), and too much fat. So, I couldn't justify them in my mind as a protein supplement.

Last edited by myyellowstang; 03-16-2013 at 02:48 PM..
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
I only eat the Pure Protein bars. They are the only ones I've come across that meet my standards lol. Calorie to protein ratio is 10:1 or greater. No added sugar. Low sugar alcohol. And low fat.

I looked at the NV before but they were more like a snack or a treat than a protein bar. Too many calories for the amount of protein (almost a 20:1 ratio), too much sugar (and it was the 4th ingredient in the list - too high), and too much fat. So, I couldn't justify them in my mind as a protein supplement.
I agree, the Nature Valley ones aren't the best nutritional bang for the buck. They have been the lesser of 2 evils for me in some situations, but for sure not my first choice. I don't think I'll have too much problems with the Pure Protein Bars, they were not bad, but no siren call was emitted. I think I can have one in my purse for back up without temptation.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
I love, love, love the Pure Protein bars, especially the Chewy Chocolate Chip. Meijer had them on sale through today for $4.90 for a box of 5, which was about $1.70 off. Of course, they were all out of my Chocolate Chip

Ok, I'm going to get me a jug of the Chick-Fil-A diet lemonade, I think it's about $5 a gallon and I'd love to keep it at work.
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #64

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I didn't know you can buy a whole jug of the Chick-fil-a diet lemonade!

Then again, the crushed ice is part of the awesomeness.... so gotta have that, too hehe
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
It's addicting. And yummers!

Did you get the fried chicken nuggets or the grilled? I get the 4 piece grilled (basically a small chicken breast cut up) and a fruit cup and diet lemonade. Lemonade goes in first, then the chicken then the fruit if I have room.
I got the fried - I never thought about grilled. This is a great suggestion - I can't believe I can have my beloved CFA again!

I did remember that part of what makes them so delicious is the POWDERED SUGAR in the breading (yumm).
Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #66

It's weird to me that the grilled chicken only comes in the kids meal.... but perfect for WLS peeps! The fruit bowl is even an appropriate size
Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #67

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I'm having food problems this week. Seems like my stomach is getting smaller and I'm eating less. I couldn't eat tuna the other day(gave it to my dog--lol) and yesterday I couldn't eat Greek yogurt. It's almost a food aversion. Anyone experience this? Today I did get in an egg and 1/2 pc of bacon.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
I'm having food problems this week. Seems like my stomach is getting smaller and I'm eating less. I couldn't eat tuna the other day(gave it to my dog--lol) and yesterday I couldn't eat Greek yogurt. It's almost a food aversion. Anyone experience this? Today I did get in an egg and 1/2 pc of bacon.
My stomach randomly tightens from time to time. I can still usually do soup, or my sf chai latte ~ (milk, tea, hot water, sf vanilla syrup). I find if I can get in a bit of something and then wait, it sort of relaxes and I can get in more. Then another day, everything is fine and I can eat whatever I measured out
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
I love, love, love the Pure Protein bars, especially the Chewy Chocolate Chip. Meijer had them on sale through today for $4.90 for a box of 5, which was about $1.70 off. Of course, they were all out of my Chocolate Chip

Ok, I'm going to get me a jug of the Chick-Fil-A diet lemonade, I think it's about $5 a gallon and I'd love to keep it at work.
Here it's about $9 a gallon. But I'll still buy it from time to time.

My fave is the chocolate deluxe.

Quote:
I get there from time to time. I'm a creature of habit and I'll eat the same thing over and over and over again. And then one day I'll eat it and I'll gag and won't be able to eat it for a while. I had that with cottage cheese and again with mozzarella cheese sticks. Both took me about a year before I could stomach them again. Literally, I tried them and gag/puke reflex started to kick in. I just go with what I can do. It passes and it changes. Some days I have no desire for food at all, period. It's 3pm and I've had a protein drink and a protein bar. And 20 oz water.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #70

yup, my sleeve tightens/loosens from time to time for no apparent reason. it's very very common. On OH people talk about it and speculate it has to do with hormone cycle, if it's cold or hot or if you drink something cold or hot and on and on.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #71

I seem to be more interested in sleeping today lol every weekend lately I seem to want to sleep sleep sleep

- coffee with my own mixed flavored half and half ... I didn't finish it
- salad with chicken and some other stuff
- making turnip fries right now but not so excited about them lol
- seems I'll HAVE to have a protein shake later... unless I suddenly get hungry
Old 03-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #72
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I have times when I feel like I am eating more, too...this weekend being one of those times. I kinda speculated it was hormonal. I was in a high-stress situation, which about 14 hours of hard work has downgraded to moderately stressy from high stress... I ate some dumb things and too much of them, too. Mostly bread-y stuff.

In any case, tonight the eating will be returning to normal, and strict eating and exercise routines will be reinstated. I'm not sure what the scale will say tomorrow, but Iwill find out. I don't feel good - I feel...well, fat. I hate feeling/knowing I haven't been doing what I need to do. I am so glad that my big deadline (for work) has been met - at least part one of it.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #73

Almost, but not quite, 40 oz of water before breakfast.

B - Fage 0%, frozen strawberries, splenda
L - Smoked turkey breast, cottage cheese, black beans, pepperoncinis and raw spinach (changing it up a little lol)
s - mint cookie protein
D - no clue yet. We have a LOT of smoked meat left so maybe a repeat of lunch.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #74

So far all I had today is coffee with half n half... it's hazelnut flavored coffee... yum

I am not really hungry yet... and I have a Doctor apt at 1:45. Not sure what I am going to do for lunch

And dinner will probably be a cheeseburger casserole type thing (still using up that ground beef!)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
So far all I had today is coffee with half n half... it's hazelnut flavored coffee... yum

I am not really hungry yet... and I have a Doctor apt at 1:45. Not sure what I am going to do for lunch

And dinner will probably be a cheeseburger casserole type thing (still using up that ground beef!)
Reminds me I need to make my 3 year appt soon so I can have labs drawn.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #76

Quote:
Reminds me I need to make my 3 year appt soon so I can have labs drawn.
Oops I should have done that too... this doctor appointment is a follow up with my surgeon for my lower body lift.

I had labs done in November before my LBL, but it was only the "major" ones, not all the detailed ones we need after WLS.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #77

I'm mixing it up a little today. Strange, I know. I need to bust my growing "addiction" to breads again. They can easily become my preferred food now in place of sweets.

I'm also *trying* the whole eat every three hours thing because I've found myself wanting to graze on things when I get home. Pickles, cheese, protein bars. Mostly harmless, but it means... something.

Today's an all day meeting - all day - so I should be fine. It's when I get home that it starts kicking in. Today should be a good day for people watching. The things people wear to work and call "professional attire"! I love it!

0630 - 2 hardboiled eggs.

Having a decaf coffee now, then I'll start in on the 34 oz bottle of water I brought with me.

0930 - mint cookie protein
1230 - 2 oz smoked turkey, 1/4 cup mixed nuts if there's room
1530 - repeat of the 1230 meal
1830 - 2 oz lean protein, 1 tbsp peanut butter
2130 - mint cookie protein

Those "meals" also include unlimited spinach, broccoli, greens - but honestly there's just not enough room lol.

Of course, I may toss it all out by noon. I've never eaten that much food in one day post op it seems. Actually, I probably have... it's just not been all straight up protein, and not all planned. We'll see. I may drop it to every 4 hours instead.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #78

Haha! See! Only 11 am and I'm already "ugh I have to eat something again in an hour and a half?"! And all I've had since 6am was teh 2 hb eggs and a protein drink.

The rest was a decaf, 2 hot decaf teas and 34 oz water.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #79

Third nutritional opportunity in. It was chicken breast with raw green snap beans and black olives. With lemon juice. In about 2 hours I'll have #4. Probably a small protein drink.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #80

Another day, another attempt....

B - Coffee with my own mixed flavored half-n-half
L - I tried to get something "not too bad" as my coworkers took me out to Thai (tomorrow is my last day) and turns out my dish had crispy rice noodles mixed all throughout (they were chicken lettuce wraps off the appetizer menu)... ug
D - Probably left over lettuce wraps... then I will throw the rest out
Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cidelsia
Stats: 261/183/145
Hi!
I would like to join this group, if you have room for one more! I have been on LCF on and off for years. I had WLS (RNY) on 4/18/12. Went from 229 down to about 170 now (about a 10/12). My loss has been really slow. Lots of stalls. Would like to see 145. I have PCOS also. I have been really bad and lax lately about eating healthy, exercising, etc. I need some fellow WLS peeps to bounce things off of and for accountability!

B-1 egg omelet with slice of ham and cheese
L- cup of clam chowder
S- EAS chocolate shake
D-chicken parm
S-raw veggies

Talk soon!
cidelsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #82

cidelsia! why not update your stats? getting down to the 170s is something to be proud of

yesterday

B - Vanilla coffee with half n half and splenda
L - sausage patty with cheese melted on top
S - peanut butter (ug! can't be perfect I guess)
D - Chicken thigh
S - green giant microwave steam veggies with rosemary butter sauce

today

B - Coffee with hazelnut flavor, liquid splenda and cream
S - peanut butter (again! )
L - Ham on the george forman ( my george forman!)
D - Ranch chicken wings (sprinkled dry ranch mix packet on wings and oven cooked them, got the idea here on LCF)

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Old 03-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #83
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Cidelsia, I have PCOS, too. Many of my symptoms have been alleviated since the surgery. Now, if I could just grow some more hair (on top of my head, not all the other places the PCOS used to put it ).
Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidelsia View Post
Hi!
I would like to join this group, if you have room for one more! I have been on LCF on and off for years. I had WLS (RNY) on 4/18/12. Went from 229 down to about 170 now (about a 10/12). My loss has been really slow. Lots of stalls. Would like to see 145. I have PCOS also. I have been really bad and lax lately about eating healthy, exercising, etc. I need some fellow WLS peeps to bounce things off of and for accountability!

B-1 egg omelet with slice of ham and cheese
L- cup of clam chowder
S- EAS chocolate shake
D-chicken parm
S-raw veggies

Talk soon!
Please join! And come see us on the other daily thread!!!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #85

B - Coffee with natural vanilla extract, cream and calorie countdown milk... oh and some Sugar Free White Velvet Chocolate Mix ( Gosh That's Good! brand)

L - breakfast sausage with cheese on top and ham (George Foreman again!)

D - Chicken wings and green giant frozen veggies (steam bag)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #86

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
B - Coffee with natural vanilla extract, cream and calorie countdown milk... oh and some Sugar Free White Velvet Chocolate Mix ( Gosh That's Good! brand)

L - breakfast sausage with cheese on top and ham (George Foreman again!)

D - Chicken wings and green giant frozen veggies (steam bag)
What is this???? Sugar Free White Velvet Chocolate Mix ( Gosh That's Good! brand)
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #87

Quote:
What is this???? Sugar Free White Velvet Chocolate Mix ( Gosh That's Good! brand)
It's delish!!! It's a powder, you can make white hot chocolate with it... I usually put it in coffee. I love white chocolate so first I bought the smaller tub to make sure it's good... then I bought the 2.5lb tub!!! I read that someone here mixed it with cocoa butter to make white chocolate squares, too.

even the smaller tub has 51 servings in it though. A serving makes 8 oz and my coffee/cream is usually a bit more than that so I use 2 scoops sometimes.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #88

b - mcdonalds sugar free vanilla iced coffee with a scoop of isopure zero carb vanilla PP mixed in.

s - really breakfast part II lol sausage patty with cheese (also McDonalds)

l - ranch chicken wings and a bit of green giant steamed veggies (pre-seasoned)

d - not sure??? I still have another chicken thigh I cooked on the george forman that needs to be eaten soon, but I kinda want beef.

tomorrow I start a new job so maybe I will bring the chicken thigh for lunch. I can't come home for lunch until I move again (too far)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #89
Big Yapper!!!!

PSA: Meijer has a store brand NSA 1% chocloate milk, that makes all the difference in protein shakes. I'm actually enjoying an Unjury Chocolate shake right now. I can't wait to try this with my Matrix Mint Cookie and Oreo-cookie like mixes.

Last edited by AllisonB; 03-24-2013 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: forgot to emphasize the word ENJOYING :)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
PSA: Meijer has a store brand NSA 1% chocloate milk, that makes all the difference in protein shakes. I'm actually enjoying an Unjury Chocolate shake right now. I can't wait to try this with my Matrix Mint Cookie and Oreo-cookie like mixes.
How many grams of sugar? I have been thinking about using calorie countdown chocolate milk (it is low in carbs) in my shakes