Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Ok... I need to start tracking better, I think.

Today:

B Syntrax Nectar Protein Shake
L Chilli
S String Cheese
D Roast Beast

I hit yoga last night and the night before... I'm taking today as a rest day - I'm sore.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #32

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
How's it going, HT? I don't have any yogurt, so if I feel like I need something more substantial than shakes at around lunchtime I will stop by the store.

So far I am still sipping on my Cappuccino breakfast shake
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
So far, so good... Well, actually, to be accountable I got on the scale today after about a 10 day lapse. OH MY GOODNESS, BECKY! I GAINED TEN POUNDS!!! TEN! I am so mad I could SPIT! I was 195 (I had been 185 last time I weighed...). O,O

So, I have been on-plan today:
B & S - mint cookie protein shake
L: Oikos cherry yogurt
D: Oikos key lime yogurt
S: chocolate protein shake throughout the evening
I also had several waters and one 1/2 lemonade, 1/2 tea...and two cups of coffee with equal and 1/2 and 1/2

Tomorrow I intend to be even more strict. Less/no coffee (the creamer carbs should be cut...). I am absolutely furious with myself for sliding this far. It ends here. My family had Pizza Hut for dinner. I did NOT. I am NOT going back there (as in gaining the weight back). EVER.

Mary - How did you end up? Did you get some yogurt, after all? I have been pretty darn hungry. Having something every two hours, if not sipping almost all the time...
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 03-07-2013 at 06:24 PM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Workout done today, not pretty but done.

B - 0% Fage, splenda, frozen cherries.
L - canned chicken, chickpeas, pepperoncini, cottage cheese, and raw spinach.
s - mint cookie
D - no idea?
s - not sure
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #35

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I had a cheesestick about 11 but was hungry while running around. Didn't have any idea what to eat or where to go so I stopped at Taco Bueno and thought I'd get a salad. Then saw they were over $5 and knowing I can't eat much of it, decided to just get a soft chicken taco. It was the perfect size for me and it set well in my tummy. Just thought I'd share.

Just looked up the stats: 184 cal, 10 g protein, 18 carbs. A little too high on the carbs for me but certainly not the worst choice I could have made.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!

Last edited by chewiegand; 03-08-2013 at 03:04 PM..
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #36

Chewie, I get a soft taco at del taco (del carbon) and only eat one of the corn tortillas... one corn tortilla is about 7 or 8 net carbs... not too bad. Anyway, I too find that a soft taco "does it" for me
Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #37

HT I stuck with it and by 3:30pm my tummy was not happy. I think it's because I did all liquids but not the right liquids... I had coffee and I even had quite allot of sugar.... no bueno.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #38

I spent two hours helping a physician this morning so "breakfast" was a protein drink. By the time I was able to eat it was too late for my yogurt and cherries - there's no way I could eat at 930 and then be ready for lunch at noon!

So...

B - mint cookie
L - canned chicken, chickpeas, pepperoncinis peppers, cottage cheese and raw spinach
s - mint cookie, or the breakfast yogurt
D - not sure. I need to go to the car dealership today to have the left passenger door panel replaced. They installed tint at the dealership and before I bought it they agreed to replace the panel because the installer put a big ol' scratch in it. Well, the part is in, so I get to drive the 45 minutes north to get it installed. Good part: they'll fill my gas tank, run it through the car wash and detail the interior again.

Workout - well, I need to go for a run. But I probably won't if I go to the dealership.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #39

Sigh.... yet again changing it up.

Morning - Coffee with cream and liquid splenda
Breakfast - sausage patty with a slice of cheese
Lunch - 2 oz skirt steak and 5 asparagus spears with a bit of mayo
Dinner - same as lunch?
Snacks - 2 pc sugar free candy; maybe a shake later
Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #40

I go to get my lunch ready last night before bed and I'm out of cottage cheese. I *always* have cottage cheese! Makes me wonder if my daughter didn't eat it. I always have an extra tub of it in the fridge. Anyway. Not sure how lunch will go now, maybe the cafeteria has cottage cheese on the salad bar today. Sometimes they do, but I'm sure it's not 2%. I'll live.

I was frozen this morning after the drive to work so first thing was hot water with lemon and splenda.
B - mint cookie protein
L - canned chicken, chickpeas, pepperoncinis, raw spinach and hopefully some cottage cheese
s - mint cookie protein or an apple
D - not sure. Hubby is going to a poker game so it's just me and the boy. The girl is never home, she's 18 now and social life is king.

No workout today. I'm trying to rest the ribs. They still hurt me when I exert myself and I have a major yoga retreat with 3 two hour masters classes and several smaller 1 hour classes coming up in about 4 weeks. I want to be healed by then.

I need to at least go walking though, preferably for a run.

I didn't make it to the dealership last night. They called and I couldn't go today so I set it up for Saturday. However I had a 2 hour training class cancel this afternoon so I'm going to try to call and see if I can still come today.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #41

Heather, sounds busy... glad to hear you are taking it easy on the ribs, the retreat sounds great!

B - 4 slices reduced sodium bacon
S - Coffee with cream and liquid splenda drops
L - Bunless burger
D - Not sure yet... maybe half an artichoke with mayo and then later a shake to up the protein
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #42

Early morning today, had to be here to train a physician. Of course I slept as long as possible lol.

So...

B - was a protein drink in the car
L - canned chicken, chickpeas, pepperoncini peppers, cottage cheese (bought some!) and raw spinach
s - mint cookie protein or an apple (the apple I tried to eat yesterday was bitter )
D - argh, I meant to put some chicken and salsa in the crockpot this morning! I'll call my son and get him to do it.
s - not sure, maybe nothing. Dinner should be late.

Workout - acro yoga. I just go but I don't really acro lately with the ribs.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #43

I am sneezing like crazy this morning, and my stomach is kinda uneasy.... hmmm I don't think I have a bug, but man... what is going on?

B - Coffee with cream
L - Chicken thigh with garlic, salt, pepper cooked in George Forman
D - Dunno, I have an appointment after work, so I might pick up a bunless burger or a bunless grilled chicken club (carl's jr)... if I wait until I am home, probably more chicken thigh and half an artichoke
S - Maybe a shake
Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #44

Not wanting to work today, and the fact that there's about 8-10 people working in the room next door upgrading equipment isn't helping. It's not the upgrade that's annoying. It's the mess, the clutter and the constant chatter and joking. I should probably mention that my office is in the old nursery area of the hospital and we all know that nurseries have glass walls. I'm in an old special care baby room and my walls are glass too. They've taken over every table, counter, chair, FLOOR space. I've already warned them that I am training a physician today and need the computer area cleared off and that they need to keep distractions to a minimum. They're here for at least a week. I may scream.

Anyway... so far today I've had 20 oz water, room temp. And 8 oz of hot water with lemon once I got to the office.

B - 0% Fage, cherries, splenda
L - chicken, cottage cheese, chickpeas, pepperoncini peppers, spinach.
s - mint cookie protein
D - no idea yet, I'm still not very good at planning these things!

Last night's dinner was yummy. I had my son put chicken breasts in the crockpot with a jar of salsa and a bit of water. When I got home I made some brown rice for everyone else. I took a handful of raw spinach and tossed in some chickpeas. Then I poured the chicken/salsa/water mixture over it to make a soup. It was hot enough to warm up the chickpeas and wilt the spinach and was sooooo good! I wish there were enough leftovers for today.

No workout planned. It's been forever. You know it's bad when you go from 6 days a week to maybe one if I'm feeling lucky! There's a support group meeting tonight that I might go to. I haven't been any this year yet. There's always been a conflict - last month it was musical tickets.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #45

Hi Heather... I am glad you are posting here consistantly right now... I need accountability hehe even though when I plan something and then I "mess up" I don't come back to correct it, so it's not really accountability... it still helps me to write out what I PLAN to eat each day

B - couple slices low sodium bacon and then later (I still wait at least 30 min, before drinking after eating!) coffee with home made creamer (cream, calorie countdown milk, vanilla and liquid splenda... I made enough for 3 cups of coffee and took it to work since they stopped buying mini moos and the other kind has FIVE GRAMS OF SUGAR.... EACHHHH!!!!!)

L - Chicken thigh cooked on George Forman, and maybe later half an artichoke with mayo as a snack?

D - Bunless burger (lean beef patty cooked on GF, slice of tillimook cheese, lettuce and home made low carb thousand island sauce... I wish I had a slice of onion too!

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Old 03-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
and then I "mess up" I don't come back to correct it, so it's not really accountability... it still helps me to write out what I PLAN to eat each day

I still wait at least 30 min, before drinking after eating!)
I should do that, be accountable. I had to train a physician today and my part was supposed to be from 1230-1, but here it is 2:40 and I just finished walking him around getting his questions answered! Lunch was not as planned. I passed popcorn in the lobby and it smelled so good but I thought I'm going up (at 2:30!) and eating my lunch. Well I get up here and the breakroom where my food is IS LOCKED! And security is in the ED with a psych patient that has already gone mia once. So... back down to the popcorn it was. And a stop in the gift shop for some sf Russel Stovers. Not too bad, but not the protein rich meal I had planned. Blah.

I don't wait 30 before because after about 4 months I never saw the reasoning behind it as valid. I do wait an hour after, and the only reason I wait an hour is because I'm 3 years (almost) out and it keeps me sated longer when I wait.

Did I mention the equipment they are updating next door are IV pumps? Have you ever heard the IV pump alarm going off in the hospital? Now imagine that repeatedly over and over again times 85 IV pumps and 40 pain pumps.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #47

That does sound superr annoying... between that stress, an inquisitive doctor causing you to delay lunch, and then despite all your efforts to keep with your plan, being locked out... I totally get why the popcorn and candy became acceptable choices hehe

What reasoning were you given to not drink 30-60 mins after eating? Mine was two reasons... one was because I have my pyloris valve (Sleeve), I do get overly full when I sip a beverage on top of an already full stomach, and it's very uncomfortable... on the other hand... if I either sip all throughout a meal and eat slowly, I can eat more... or if I drink too soon after eating I can manage it (not too "full") but I notice it seems to wash the digesting food out before it would have if I didn't drink. All true in my experience...

What I heard about RNY is the same as reason number two there... that if you drink while or shortly after eating you will flush the food out of your stomach faster.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
That's what I was told, Mary... Wait 30 min before and 30 min after you eat to drink. I've also read a book that says wait even longer to drink after eating...like an hour.

I'm eating badly. Not too much, but a lot of grazing and not enough water. I've been on vacation this week and planning hasn't been as easy. Exercise is even off.

I feel very stressed and there's never enough time to do all I have to do. I am procrastinating and making bad choices. I hate how I feel right now.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #49

just realized when I said 30 minutes before drinking after eating... I don't wait 30 min before I eat after I drink, I do wait 30-60 min after eating to drink.

I was having trouble staying hydrated at one point and my surgeon said I can drink up until I eat but don't drink 30-60 min after eating.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Quote:
just realized when I said 30 minutes before drinking after eating... I don't wait 30 min before I eat after I drink, I do wait 30-60 min after eating to drink.

I was having trouble staying hydrated at one point and my surgeon said I can drink up until I eat but don't drink 30-60 min after eating.
Yep, that's what mine said too. Before is ok, not after.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #51

Quote:
What reasoning were you given to not drink 30-60 mins after eating?

What I heard about RNY is the same as reason number two there... that if you drink while or shortly after eating you will flush the food out of your stomach faster.
This ^.

And pain lol.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnopedie View Post
Yep, that's what mine said too. Before is ok, not after.
Initially and officially, his written rules include the no drinking 30 min before... So I think he only tells people who "complain" about it or have hydration concerns that they don't need to do it.... maybe he's on the fence about whether it's really necessary or not.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #53

My "official" rule was no 30 before and 30 after as well. But I couldn't find one reason to justify the 30 before so I trashed it. (I trashed the no straw rule too after several months) 30 after isn't near long enough for me either so I lengthened it to an hour. At 30 I'm still a pouch full of solid food if I eat right.

I'm one of those that challenges. If the doc wanted me to do something I wanted the reason behind it and if it didn't make sense or if it didn't mesh with what I knew/studied/learned then I just didn't do it. Of course I told them I wasn't going to do it.

Examples...

Add more calories in the form of pasta, rice, etc. I said no. He said why. I said it doesn't sit well. He said oh no we need an EGD. I said nope, just won't eat those things.

My iron was in the normal range, but it had dropped quite a bit from the last result. So I called and asked about it. They said it was okay (I argued) so they recommended taking OTC regular iron 350mg multiple times a day. I said no way - I'd never poo again and I asked about heme iron. He said it was "voodoo". Guess what I took and guess what happened to my labs.

Now, my surgeon is very smart, but I'm not a cookie cutter of everyone else and I'm not afraid to question the status quo if I don't agree. But we'd worked together in the OR and he respected me as a nurse - we just had the kind of coworker relationship where I COULD question and make my own decisions.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #54

B - Yum!... Hawaiian hazelnut coffee from the gas station with land o lakes half n half and splenda.... who knew gas station coffee could be as nice a treat as starbucks? lol
... and 30 minutes after I am done with the coffee, a 1oz (precooked weight) sage sausage patty with half a slice of Tillamook cheese. Enjoying my "diet"

L - Not sure, lunch plans were cancelled/rescheduled... I might stop by Stater Bros to pick up a couple of things, and might get something like a pre-packaged/portioned/mixed chef salad?

D - Bunless burger again, probably

PS... I like bunless burgers "ok", but the only reason I am eating them every night is because I defrosted the whole "chub" that was in the freezer... ug, ever since my sleeve (and having to chew better) ground beef starts to gross me out... gristle... shudder.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #55

Quote:
PS... I like bunless burgers "ok", but the only reason I am eating them every night is because I defrosted the whole "chub" that was in the freezer... ug, ever since my sleeve (and having to chew better) ground beef starts to gross me out... gristle... shudder.
Yup. Me too!!! Hubby made burgers last night but ran out of grill gas so he panfried them. I totally disallow pan frying in my house, period. Too much grease splatter and mess!

Anyway, I weighed out one that was just about 2 oz, plopped a handful of spinach in a bowl, topped it with some black beans, a pinch of cheese (could have skipped that for all the good it did lol), topped it with the chopped burger and poured a tbsp of yogurt caesar over it all. Yummy.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #56

So far today... got a 445 am call that there was an internal disaster at work today (the EHR was down - yeah, disaster lol). So... 5 minute shower...

B - a protein drink on the way to work.
L - canned chicken, chickpeas, cottage cheese, pepperoncini and spinach
s - mint cookie protein
s - 2 sf reeses minis

And a Chick-Dil-A diet lemonade.

No dinner so far, waiting for the hubby to come home and see what's up.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #57
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
I buy my ground beef (ground chuck) at a real butcher shop - no gristle, no additives/fillers/strange pink goop, and surprisingly little grease.

I was out of town for work all week, which works really well for my eating. No opportunities for snacking/nibbling, and I make really, really good choices for lunch and dinner because I know it has to hold me over until the next meal I can't wait to weigh-in on Monday morning (I weigh on Mon. mornings to keep me on track over the weekend!) and see how I did.

Is the Chick-Fil-A diet lemonade good? I love Chick-Fil-A, and really miss it now! I tried some chicken chunks and they did not sit well at all, after 3 I was nauseous and lost them. I had diet lemonade at Ruby Tuesday and it tasted like some kind of household cleaner. It was inedible/undrinkable.
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #58

The Chick-Fil-A diet lemonade is DEEEE-LISH! hehe
It's real lemon juice, water and splenda... that's it! So no weird cleaner taste lol
Old 03-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
B: HM SF Chai Late (1/2 cup of milk), 1 egg scrambled w/ cheese and 1 bacon

L: Pure Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar

D: BBQ chicken breast, little bit of salad, 1/4 of a potato, oven "fried" in parsley and olive oil

S: whatever I need to get the protein right (cottage cheese, yogurt, protein drink, it all depends on how much chicken I can manage )

Activity: Worked out on resistance machines and then shopping at Costco pushing around my heeeeaaavy cart Pure Protein Bars were on sale. I've never had them but I do eat Nature Valley Protein Bars which are only 10 grams of protein, so I thought I'd try them. Right now it is sitting like a lump in my stomach, which is good and bad. We're eating late tonight so maybe this will hold me. I thought they might make a good snack for my son before track practice too. We'll see if he likes them.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
Is the Chick-Fil-A diet lemonade good? I love Chick-Fil-A, and really miss it now! I tried some chicken chunks and they did not sit well at all, after 3 I was nauseous and lost them. I had diet lemonade at Ruby Tuesday and it tasted like some kind of household cleaner. It was inedible/undrinkable.
It's addicting. And yummers!

Did you get the fried chicken nuggets or the grilled? I get the 4 piece grilled (basically a small chicken breast cut up) and a fruit cup and diet lemonade. Lemonade goes in first, then the chicken then the fruit if I have room.