Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy66 View Post
She blames it on never feeling full and a family history of obesity.
I'm not sure that I buy that there is a genetic predisposition to being overweight. I think it's just that families that live and eat together develop similar tastes and cooking eating habits. I;'ve thought a lot about it. My mom was overweight before her diagnosis of diabetes and changing her eating habits. When I married I brought the same recipes and preferences to my family's table that I had at hers. My parents didn't exercise regularly, so exercise wasn't important to me either. I make sure my kids know I workout, and that they know it's important to me not just for weight but for health. I feel that's more influencing than a family history. Just because my mom always made tator tot casserole with all the fat and cheese doesn't mean I have to make it that way... it's a habit and those can change!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Krissy66
Stats: I'm not overweight, I'm undertall
WOE: (VSG 11/28/12)
Start Date: June, 2008
Thanks. I know I am being sensitive. I totally understand that she is embarrassed (as I was). Things changed after my surgery, I didnt mind people knowing so much post op. My misery wanted some company at that point.
Krissy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #33

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
There have been indications that twins/triplets, etc and/or siblings separated at birth (put up for adoption and adopted by different families) do indeed tend to either both/all either be obese or not obese. I would not call them "studies" per se, but I have read investigative articles on the topic and I do see a trend. Each of the articles claims that they did not find any adopted siblings of any kind where one was obese and one was normal or under weight.

Personally, I believe I have both bad habits (some of which I was brought up with, but also some of which were rebellion against my parent's style of eating and some of which are eating disorders) as well as genetic predisposition to hyperinsulinism and hormone imbalance.

All that said, my eyes are more open now than before surgery about my own non-genetic "issues"

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, and 40 lbs off as of this week.
My stall is officially broken. I am omitting almost all carbs except for fruits and veggies..
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Oh, and 40 lbs off as of this week.
My stall is officially broken. I am omitting almost all carbs except for fruits and veggies..
Yay! Congrats!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: awlass
Stats: 385 / 375.8 / 230.2 / 150
WOE: RNY
Start Date: 10/20/11 RNY 05/15/2012
Hey guys!
So sorry Ive been AWOL. No internet at home, and IDK how to get on here very well on my mobile..
Ive been doing great. Working 2 jobs, studying a foreign language (self taught!) and just getting through life with as little boredom as I can manage.
Im down to 243.8 and a snug size 18 (not 18W!!). Im feeling fantastic!

Last edited by awlass; 03-05-2013 at 02:27 PM..
awlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #37

awlas good to hear form you and congrats! were you trying to post two pictures? They are showing up as the red X symbol for me... do they show up on your end?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #38

Never mind... I can see them now. You look great! What a difference from the first ones you posted!!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOE: VSG 10/2011 85 lbs. lost
Looking good girl!!!
Healthy and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #40

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Congrats Krissy and Awlass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTG
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! I can relax a bit now knowing that stalls are not forever! (even though it felt that way for a while!)
Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #42

Good morning everyone. Seems I have a constant struggle lately... When the stress hits, I more easily "fall off the wagon" and I start to understand the "one day at a time" approach. Sigh....
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #43

Hello curves!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
I'm doing ok. My 3 month sugeversary is on Sunday. I have my appt next week too.
Where did the time go, right?

My check up is next week... I'm excited!
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

I'm doing well... gearing up for my 3 month check up and labs.

My goal is to try to make it to yoga 3x a week. I finally "graduated" from beginner's yoga to Level 1, and while I like the postures better and I feel it more, I also am CRAZY SORE! Please tell me this is a good thing.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Hi peeps, I haven't been around much, figured I'd offer an update! Tomorrow will be the 4 month mark since my surgery (Surgery date Nov 8th 2012 in Tijuana). As of this morning I'm down 61 pounds. I've had three stalls during this time, my loss is very much in a stair step pattern, and right now I'm due for a loss so I'm guessing over this next week I'm going to lose about 5 pounds if I follow my previous patterns.

I've reached 40% EWL.

I have lost about 1 inch off my neck, 1.5 inches off my bicep, 1 inch off my forearm, 5.5 off my chest, 5.5 off my waist, 6.75 off my hips, 5 off my thigh, and 1.75 inches off my calf.

I have averaged 3.59 pounds lost per week since the day of surgery.

I am still on track to lose 100 pounds by June, but it'll be tight!

Anyways, I haven't lost as fast as some, but I find this pretty awesome anyways. I haven't always made the best food choices, but 95% of the time I do. I've been relying a lot on the Premier Protein drinks to get in my protein because it's easy and they're quite good, I also do an egg and slice of ham as another easy pre-measured meal. Chicken is hit or miss, it often gives me the "slimies", which is oh so fun. Bread has been a no no for me, rice sits very heavy. Cheese is very easy to eat so I try to avoid it since it's also very calorie dense! I'll put a little bit on an omelette. Eating slowly and not drinking during meals have been the hardest adjustments. If I'm not completely mindful of what I'm doing (ie, watching TV while eating or something) I will eat too fast and get the lovely slimies. Why does it take so long for me to learn my lesson!

I haven't had any labs yet, my surgeon requests them at 4 months. So I'm going to get the blood draw on monday. I've been seeing a new doctor too, she's great... she's put me on Cipralex to treat my anxiety and insomnia (she thinks if the anxiety is controlled the insomnia will resolve itself), and she believes I have OCD too (though I'm really not sure about that one... I get addicted to routines easily and have to do them but I don't think that's necessarily OCD... I just like what works?). Anyways, she wants me to start psychotherapy. I have found a psychologist that specialies in insomnia, anxiety, OCD, and food issues, so hey, sounds like a winner?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #47

I was in tears today for the last 10-15 minutes of my 5am yoga class. I was hurting so bad. But I don't know if it was an "I need to stop and take some time off" hurting or an "This sucks, but it's on the road to recovery and you just gotta suck it up" kind of hurting. My ribs on the right side are still hurting. Not so bad generally, when I push on them they hurt and when I work out they hurt too. More so when the workout makes me use my core or my obliques.

myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Putting down my cat tonight

I have to put down my almost 19 year old cat, Bows tonight after work. A Vet friend is coming over this evening to euthanize her. She has renal failure and has been getting weaker by the day.
I've been in pieces since making this decision.
But I know it's the right one
I just can't remember a time when she wasnt' there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bows.jpg (19.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #49

Oh Krissy, I'm so sorry. That makes me so sad for you.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #50

Question for the veteransor anyone really). It's 3 months and I feel so darn depressed now. It seems to have gotten worse this week. I take an AD but maybe I need something different? Any suggestions? Has anyone had this occur at this point? Maybe it's March weather??? I just don't know.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
I was in tears today for the last 10-15 minutes of my 5am yoga class. I was hurting so bad. But I don't know if it was an "I need to stop and take some time off" hurting or an "This sucks, but it's on the road to recovery and you just gotta suck it up" kind of hurting. My ribs on the right side are still hurting. Not so bad generally, when I push on them they hurt and when I work out they hurt too. More so when the workout makes me use my core or my obliques.

Tears? Oh my... be careful with yourself!

Quote:
I have to put down my almost 19 year old cat, Bows tonight after work. A Vet friend is coming over this evening to euthanize her. She has renal failure and has been getting weaker by the day.
Sorry Krissy

Quote:
Question for the veteransor anyone really). It's 3 months and I feel so darn depressed now. It seems to have gotten worse this week. I take an AD but maybe I need something different? Any suggestions? Has anyone had this occur at this point? Maybe it's March weather??? I just don't know.
I think it's pretty common to need to adjust your meds... and for people to struggle with depression after WLS. I mean, I can't say I've seen specific, convincing studies on it... but just from being around the YouTube WLS community and OH... it seems super common.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Quote:
I'm sorry, Krissy
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #53

Well girls, I did some "retail" therapy today. I went to a consignment store that had half off all their clothes because they are moving at the end of the month and I bought all kinds of cute stuff---some capri pjs, camis, tops, tops, tops and only spent $39. Then I went to another consignment store that had this tapestry chair and a half and ottoman set that I have been coveting for a few weeks. I even sent a message on fb to see if I could get a price discount but they didn't answer that. LOL I walked in and on the door it said 10% off everything. Woohoo!!!! I got my set for only $314 out the door instead of the $350 it would have been with tax and original price. My ds18 will go get it with his truck tomorrow. They wanted $50 to deliver it--nope. Then onto my first ever pedicure apptment. That was so cool. I loved it and I got a sexy pinkie red. I think this maybe a new vice of mine.

Mary --thanks for the info on med ajustment. I think I will make an appt w/my primary and get that taken care of soon.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #54

Here's a pic of my chair and ottoman. Love it.
CHAIR AND HALF.jpg
Old 03-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Here's a pic of my chair and ottoman. Love it.
Attachment 48867

That is REALLY cute! I love it!!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Thursday I took a sick day to do several doctors appointments. Started with an evaluation at my dentists because I had chipped a tooth. Left with an appointment to pull one of my wisdom teeth before I can get a crown for the broken tooth. Then onto my physical with PCP. Generally healthy, except a lump in my armpit. Left with an appointment to have an ultrasound and a diagnostic mammogram the following morning.(Though aren't all of them diagnostic?). They wanted me to carry my previous films to the appointment since they weren't digialitized for some reason, the reason being no one could find them or any report they had ever been read I was getting a little concerned, here I sit with a lump in my breast tissue, and no one can tell me if my previous scan was negative. Eventually it was found, along with the report saying they were negative which had never been scanned into the system. Whew! I went to the breast clinic the following morning and all is well Since I had called in for a sub the night before because I didn't know how long all this would take, I celebrated my good breast health by going shopping. I still have to have my tooth pulled on Tuesday, but somehow that doesn't seem like such a big deal now.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Thursday I took a sick day to do several doctors appointments. Started with an evaluation at my dentists because I had chipped a tooth. Left with an appointment to pull one of my wisdom teeth before I can get a crown for the broken tooth. Then onto my physical with PCP. Generally healthy, except a lump in my armpit. Left with an appointment to have an ultrasound and a diagnostic mammogram the following morning.(Though aren't all of them diagnostic?). They wanted me to carry my previous films to the appointment since they weren't digialitized for some reason, the reason being no one could find them or any report they had ever been read I was getting a little concerned, here I sit with a lump in my breast tissue, and no one can tell me if my previous scan was negative. Eventually it was found, along with the report saying they were negative which had never been scanned into the system. Whew! I went to the breast clinic the following morning and all is well Since I had called in for a sub the night before because I didn't know how long all this would take, I celebrated my good breast health by going shopping. I still have to have my tooth pulled on Tuesday, but somehow that doesn't seem like such a big deal now.

I'm sorry, Jesse... that stinks. I will think happy thoughts for you.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Glad the mammo went well. Yuck on the tooth. My dh has to have 2 of his wisdom teeth pulled but he's working 6 days a week lately and only has Sunday's off. Don't know when that will happen.

So what did you buy????
Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Thanks for letting me whine about my tooth The wisdom tooth is already descended and in place for years, but it now has some decay, and since it has no real functional purpose my dentist said there is no reason to drill etc. since it is a weak tooth and will just decay more. It should be an easy extraction; if it wasn't he would send me to a specialist.

I bought a few spring tops at Dress Barn and scooped up tons of cute jewelry on clearance at JCP and Herbergers and Kohls. I like to keep a stash for graduation open houses ~ teachers often get invited to a lot of them, and I don't think people expect presents, but I like to bring a little token. I usually get some candy for the guys and waaay discounted bracelets/necklaces etc for the girls.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #60

Wow Jesse that is so nice

Hi everyone. I have allergies and a headache so I am bumming a bit... though I did do laundry and dishes and took the dog out, other than that I have been relaxing. I am not sure if the headache is from the allergies. My TMJ is also acting up which could contribute to the headache.