LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Lap band removal

I would really like to have my lap band removed. I've had it since 2007 and it never really did much for me, even after having it filled almost to the max.

I called today and my insurance will cover it. Now I just have to find a doctor and have it done.

Have any of you had a lap band and had it removed?

BTW, I've lost 80 pounds doing low carb. I could have saved myself $8000 if I knew then what I know now.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
If you're in Florida I know a super doctor who would probably do that. Shoot me a PM if you are. Good luck!!!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #3

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Sorry the band did not work for you greybb.... I know a few people who only lost a small amount then gained it back with lap band... but I also know people who had great success with it... it seems so hit and miss. but I am glad "just" low carbing works for you. It didn't for me... I got stuck at 275 for over a year before having surgery. If that had not happened and if I had kept losing I would certainly not have gotten surgery, so I get where you are coming from... you don't "need" the band plus, personally I would want it out if it weren't helping me because I'd be afraid of stomach errosion (it happens!).

PS... the only people I know who had their lap band removed all converted to sleeve.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey

Last edited by Maryposa; 02-08-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

The band failure is totally my fault. I just wasn't ready mentally to handle it. Ice cream and milkshakes go down pretty easy. :P

I'm so happy it worked for you, or should I say you are successful at working your band. Getting the sleeve just isn't right for me. I'm afraid that I would mess that up too. I can do low carb, I take it slowly and I've been seeing a therapist for about a year now and those two things are really helping me.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #5

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I don't have a band, I have a VSG... and HT has RNY... but thanks!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
I don't have a lapband, but I have experiences with it. I can tell you that the lapband success rate is HIGHLY dependant upon commitment and attention to diet and exercise. I've know people that had great success while they were in their "sweet spot" with fills, but never learned new diet and exercise habits. They maintained their loss by restriction alone. The ones that had it removed or emptied regained pretty significantly when they hadn't retrained their habits. Those who did, did well after removal.

You seem to have found something that works for you - can you maintain that without restriction or do you think the restriction helps?

FYI removal is a pretty simple and quick outpatient procedure. I've done many when I was an OR nurse.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #7

Oh and most of the people I know who've had it removed WERE due to erosion or slippage, but then keep in mind I worked in the OR setting for almost 9 years.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't had restriction for years. I am having a problems now with eating anything solid. It started only occasionally and now it's happening on a regular basis.

The biggest problem is that I'm having trouble finding a doctor who will remove it since I had it done in Mexico! I've heard it's something to do with "liability", but if I had it done by a doctor in the US, no problem. Like I got some second class band and had it done in a back ally in Mexico! It was done by one of the best bariatric doctors in the world.

It just makes me so mad! Since this problem with food getting stuck is getting worse I'm going to go to my GP and ask him to refer me to a bariatric surgeon. Maybe that will help. What do they want? Me to get so bad off that I require emergency surgery?

I'm really frustrated. Can you tell?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #9

What part of the US are you in? I feel your frustration! The liability thing doesn't make sense to me, but doctors do it all the time. Band removal is different than band maintenence though so that one I just do not understand. I know surgeons that would do it in a heartbeat if neccessary.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote