Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Thanks Heather for the info. Normally my magnesium supp takes care of this problem but I started a bigger size one and I don't think it is being absorbed like it should be. I was taking 250 mg and by mistake bought 500---do you think that could be the case????
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I have had awful issues with constipation... I was taking benefiber is it - the one that disolves in your drinks... It worked - kinda. Then, I tried these probiotic fiber suppliments - they are about as big as a quarter and sugar-free. I chew 3 a day and I swear I haven't been this regular in about 3 years. I <3 them. That, and make sure I'm drinking plenty of water...
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post

As far as second try - I agree. Pre-op I was one of those that said "I'll *never* gain that weight back - how could people have surgery and gain weight again!?!" Well, not exactly like that but you get it! 3 years out I can see how it can happen, but I also see how easily it is prevented IF I follow my rules and use my new healthy eating habits the way I should. Yes, I can gain weight post op - I have and it was easy to ignore those first 10-15 pounds creeping back on. Yeah, it's possible to put it ALL back on. BUT I've learned that I really have to be super lazy and not care in my eating and workouts to do so. If I see scale creep I can just tighten up for a week or so and knock it back off. 5, 10, 15 pounds regain I can see. ALL of it? I'd have to really work at that and almost make myself do that. I *love* my second chance.

I can TOTALLY see this happening, and I agree, you have to combat the regain every day. There is no getting around it for me. I know myself enough to know if I start making excuses and telling myself "I'll start Monday" or "I'll do it tomorrow" that, for me, tomorrow will never come. I indulged in more carbs than I care to mention yesterday...and have been seeing a general increase in the scale this week. I'd like to just blame it on exercising again (people say you gain muscle weight, etc..) but I don't think that's it. I think I've been eating too much and especially too much bread. So, this morning, I officially have given all that stuff up for the forseeable future. I also walked 2.5 miles today - most of it btw 3.7 and 4.0 mph. I am trying to copy how I first ate after WLS. Yogurt is ok...bagels, no! Also no to cereal, rice, pasta, bread of any kind, etc... And, for Heaven's sake, no SUGAR!! I was 192 - I'll own it - cause I plan to be super-vigilant this long weekend and be down at least 3 pounds by Tuesday morning. I am NOT blowing my second chance!!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
I use Metamucil Clear & Natural, it mixes with everything, doesn't thicken, has no taste, and dissolves completely.
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #35

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Thanks Heather for the info. Normally my magnesium supp takes care of this problem but I started a bigger size one and I don't think it is being absorbed like it should be. I was taking 250 mg and by mistake bought 500---do you think that could be the case????
Your absorption shouldn't be effected, it happens in the colon and you didn't have a RNY did you? Sorry, I'm having trouble remembering this early in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I indulged in more carbs than I care to mention yesterday...and have been seeing a general increase in the scale this week. I'd like to just blame it on exercising again (people say you gain muscle weight, etc..) but I don't think that's it. I think I've been eating too much and especially too much bread.
Upping exercise will cause a bit of weight gain, but not that quickly. A drastic increase in intensity can cause some fluid retention as healing muscles hold water, but ordinarily no - it won't. If that were it you would also see a decrease in size as muscle is compact and takes up less space.

I honestly think I am as successful as I am because of the way I continue to eat. So I think your changes will make a big difference if you can adopt them for life. Al most 3 years out and I still do not eat added sugars. No fried foods - okay well I steal a tater tot once a month or so from my kids. I do eat carbs, sometimes too many but more often than not it's lean protein, non starchy veggies and dairy. Pasta is uncommon, it just doesn't sit well. I get in phases where I want bread, but I always want it to be baked so that it's got a nice hot crispy crust or toasted. Squishy bread - meh. Doesn't tempt me. I make sure that my protein is high - at least 120, usually 150 every day - and my calories are enought to support my metabolism. Some days I do get 1800-2000 calories, but I know that's okay because every day I burn over 2000 and with exercise it's closer to 2500.

The thing I like best about post op life is that when I do see scale creep it's easy to turn it around. 5-10 pounds when I was big - nothing, no big deal. That was breakfast. Now... 5-6 pounds could mean the difference in wearing my favorite pair of pants or not! It's a bigger percentage of weight gain.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #36

Quote:
Your absorption shouldn't be effected, it happens in the colon and you didn't have a RNY did you? Sorry, I'm having trouble remembering this early in the morning.

You are correct---I had the sleeve.

Upping exercise will cause a bit of weight gain, but not that quickly. A drastic increase in intensity can cause some fluid retention as healing muscles hold water, but ordinarily no - it won't. If that were it you would also see a decrease in size as muscle is compact and takes up less space.

I honestly think I am as successful as I am because of the way I continue to eat. So I think your changes will make a big difference if you can adopt them for life. Al most 3 years out and I still do not eat added sugars. No fried foods - okay well I steal a tater tot once a month or so from my kids. I do eat carbs, sometimes too many but more often than not it's lean protein, non starchy veggies and dairy. Pasta is uncommon, it just doesn't sit well. I get in phases where I want bread, but I always want it to be baked so that it's got a nice hot crispy crust or toasted. Squishy bread - meh. Doesn't tempt me. I make sure that my protein is high - at least 120, usually 150 every day - and my calories are enought to support my metabolism. Some days I do get 1800-2000 calories, but I know that's okay because every day I burn over 2000 and with exercise it's closer to 2500.

The thing I like best about post op life is that when I do see scale creep it's easy to turn it around. 5-10 pounds when I was big - nothing, no big deal. That was breakfast. Now... 5-6 pounds could mean the difference in wearing my favorite pair of pants or not! It's a bigger percentage of weight gain.
Good advice.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for your insight, Heather. I usually eat a lot like you do, but I'll steal more tater tots than you do, also...

I was 189.7 this morning...guess at least some of it really was water retention, so now my goal for Tuesday morning is 187.something... I need to get back to 183 - 185 before I will feel okay again with myself.

Much better on the eating yesterday, and I am very prepared for this weekend:

Food today:

a protein shake for breakfast and as a snack throughout the morning
4 - 6 oz. cod pan fried with a little butter and a lot of seasonings & a dab of tartar sauce
strawberries with splenda and some sf whipped cream
about 4 - 6 oz. steak for dinner
a greek yogurt if/when I get hungry later
a sf fudgicle or two if/when needed
another half a protein shake if I'm really starving...
& plenty of water!!

exercise: I walked about 2.5 miles this morning. my knees are both tight and the right one is downright sore, so I didn't jog at all, although I wanted to. I have a 5K in a week and have to be ready - but also need to not injure myself by pushing it, you know.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #38

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
What is MF stuff?
Yup, as Heather said, it is Medifast... I just needed something easy to do for a while.

"The Medifast program is a very low-calorie, high-protein diet plan that is designed to yield a loss of 2 to 5 pounds per week."

I don't expect to really lose much on it... I have to go down to about 800 cals a day to lose, I think (because I can't do much physical activity right now).

What that plan is, is 5 medifast "meals" that are roughly 100 calories each and about 11-15 protein. Then you have a "lean and green" meal which is 5-6oz lean protein and 3 cups veggies.

Obviously this lean and green meal is a huge amount of food for a post-op, hence I add an extra scoop of protein to my breakfast shake. I also spread the veggies out and don't really get 3 cups in.

It's about 800-1200 calories a day, depending on what I "add" to the 5 MF meals.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey

Last edited by Maryposa; 02-18-2013 at 01:14 AM..
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #39

Planning ahead for tomorrow, since although I am off of work, I will be a busy bee... errands, chores, lunch with former co-worker (bringing the salad mentioned below), plus sending out more resumes and job searching.

MF - Medifast

1 - MF coffee shake made with no sugar added vanilla soy milk
2 - MF brown sugar oatmeal
3 - Southwest-style salad minus the tortilla strips* (bagged salad "kit") adding chopped grilled chicken breast...
4 - MF cheese pizza bites
5 - MF cinnamon raisin bar
6 - another MF shake? Not sure if I will need this one, as meal 3 is going to be filling, and I think I'll still meet my protein goals without it.

* fortunately the kit had lime flavored tortilla strips... yuck, I do not like lime or chili-lime flavored tortilla chips... thank god.

Last edited by Maryposa; 02-18-2013 at 01:28 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Yup, as Heather said, it is Medifast... I just needed something easy to do for a while.

"The Medifast program is a very low-calorie, high-protein diet plan that is designed to yield a loss of 2 to 5 pounds per week."

I don't expect to really lose much on it... I have to go down to about 800 cals a day to lose, I think (because I can't do much physical activity right now).

What that plan is, is 5 medifast "meals" that are roughly 100 calories each and about 11-15 protein. Then you have a "lean and green" meal which is 5-6oz lean protein and 3 cups veggies.

Obviously this lean and green meal is a huge amount of food for a post-op, hence I add an extra scoop of protein to my breakfast shake. I also spread the veggies out and don't really get 3 cups in.

It's about 800-1200 calories a day, depending on what I "add" to the 5 MF meals.
Are the Medi-fast meals prepped? Where do you get them? Cost?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #41

Quote:
Are the Medi-fast meals prepped? Where do you get them? Cost?
Some are "grab and go" like the puffs and bites, bars, and crunch cerial and are pre-portioned in individual bags.

Others are pre-portioned but require some prep, like the shakes, pudding, cinnamon and brown sugar oatmeal, and cream of chicken or tomato soups.

Still others require soaking (even though the package does not say so) because if the contents are not soaked it leaves hard bits... ewww) like the stew, chili, soups with chicken or veggie chunks, the fruit oatmeals). I like to put the fruit oatmeals with the correct amount of water in a container, stir and refrigerate overnight. Then in the morning, it is delish!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #42

Anyone have any advice on TOM cramps??? I'm only supposed to use tylenol but it doesn't work at all for me. Grrrrr
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #43

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
No, but the less body fat you have the wierder TOM gets. The less I way the less frequent they are. The doctor says it's because my body fat % is so low. It's inconsistent now where before it was like clockwork.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #44

Quote:
Anyone have any advice on TOM cramps??? I'm only supposed to use tylenol but it doesn't work at all for me. Grrrrr
I'm on the pill... it helps regulate my cycle, my cramps are mild if even noticeable. And now my insurance is covering 100%, which is nice. If you have PCOS, rough cycles, etc... I would recommend you consider going on the pill to regulate you and reduce symptoms. If it's not that bad or a once in a while thing, that's different, but if you deal with pain to where you need to take pain meds and irregularity, I would say talk to your doc. PCOS is tied with Insulin issues is tied with weight issues. Also fat cells have hormones in them, so when you burn fat it can trow off your hormones a bit. It could get better as you lose weight then stabalize your weight.

Last edited by Maryposa; 02-21-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #45

TGIF! I made 2 lc pizzas last night. They both came out good. I only had 1 pc and it was probably about 1/2 or less of a normal pieceo of pizza. YUM
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #46

Quote:
No, but the less body fat you have the wierder TOM gets. The less I way the less frequent they are. The doctor says it's because my body fat % is so low. It's inconsistent now where before it was like clockwork.
Plus I'm in perimenopause anyway so it's been weird for about 8 months anyway. I wish it would just go away.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #47

Posted a March Thread
What Are We Eating/Doing Today? - MARCH 2013
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
I'm 48 and have been off the pill for many years. I had an endometrial ablation and tubal ligation about 5 years ago. My periods were impossibly heavy and long and this was a "let's try this" alternative to a hysterectomy. The ablation took my cycles back to my previous life-long very light, 2 or 3 days standard period. Over the past 2 or 3 years, they became unpredictable again, sometimes heavy sometimes barely there - and I had, every single month, a whole day of debilitation, cramping pain that would seem to start in my right ovary and radiate into my uterus. This was moaning, crying, can't stand-up straight pain. I would take 1/2 a Vicodin and that would knock me out for a few hours and take the edge off the pain, but since surgery I have had zero pain, and my cycles are back to barely-there and last 2-3 days. My doctor said this because of a combination of the weight loss and the fact that my PCOS is also resolving with the loss.
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote