Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOE: VSG 10/2011 85 lbs. lost
That sounds good, I like my veggies smothered too!

I made homemade mayo yesterday, it's so much better than the nasty soybean oil stuff and super easy too! I used 3/4 c. Louanna coconut oil, (it's expeller pressed so no coconut flavor), 1/4 c. olive oil, 2 squeezed lemons, tsp salt, 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, and a squirt of dijon mustard. Then I just whizzed it all up in a glass jar with my inversion blender for a couple minutes. Oh, if you want it to be super healthy you can add a TB of whey, (the stuff you drain from plain yogurt), and let it sit out for a while before refrigerating. This lacto ferments it and it will keep in the fridge for a lot longer. I'm going to make some ranch dressing with it later today, yummy!
Healthy and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Still waiting to hear from the insurance company about the status of my car... repair or totaled. I just need to hear the magic words so I can start getting my loan for a new car if need be. Based on the estimate I'm 99.999% positive that it is totaled, but I have to hear them say it officially because there's no way I can swing the 401k payment AND the Murano payment if for some odd reason they decide to spend the $12k to repair it. So... there's that. I called this morning and got voicemail so now I'm waiting for a callback.

I'm on my last day of steroids - hopefully they've helped. The injection worked WONDERS but I hear they only relieve pain for about 2-6 weeks. I'm hoping for the 6, of course. I've decreased my yoga because of the injury and my work schedule. This week I need to try to get some running in to balance it all out. I've slacked on that lately, but I have a 5k coming up in April so I need to be back at my current level. No weight gain from the steroids, I know a lot of people do gain, but this was only a 6 day course and I kept my eating in check. Actually, I'm not feeling the eating lately so it's mainly been just snacking on crap. Last night I made some sf brownies. This morning the remainder of them went under the faucet.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
This past week I had many people in my face offering me things - cupcakes, cookies, candy. In two instances, I did take something, but the secret is, when I was alone, it went in the trash. Maybe that's being wasteful, but so be it. I know there are people where I work who watch me eat - they watch what I take to eat from breakfasts or luncheons, etc... They also watch what I contribute. At the last holiday breakfast I walked in with apples and bananas (most people like these cause they can take them for a snack later...) and one lady said loudly, "Oh, look at Ms. Healthy with her fresh fruit!" Funny, in the old days no one ever yelled, "Look at Ms. Heart Attack Waiting to Happen with her cookies and donuts!"

My only additional suggestion is to have some go-to foods/snacks with you at all times. I always have an Atkins Bar in my bag. You could also have sleeves of nuts or bring an apple. I happen to have overtaken a crisper drawer in my lunch area fridge...I keep it filled with botled water, greek yogurt, some cheese, and other items along with my lunches. I eat many mini meals throughout the day and I am not apologetic about it. I have a drawer in my room with more Atkins bars and Wasa crackers along with a jar of lower-sugar peanut butter, too. I make sure I have something for when hunger hits. They sure weren't sorry for the cookies, were they? You do what you need to do!!
Good advice! I'm not tempted by sweets, but that's because I've conditioned myself not to crave it anymore. I've had a basket full of full sugar candy bars sitting on my desk for a week now because of all the training I've been doing. It's just scenery to me. The way I deal with other people is pretty up front. If they offer me something, I just say I don't eat whatever it is. Cake, cookies, etc? No thank you, I don't eat sugar. High fat, fried food? No thank you, I don't eat high fat foods. They just kind of laugh and say I wish I could eat like you I'd be that skinny too. No pressure. Whether they know I had surgery or not. It's all about yourself, no need to feel pressured into doing something by someone else, no need to be apologetic for not eating something someone made or gave you. Just simply telling them it's not something you eat will be just fine. They don't know the reasons, nor do they need to... it's just fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I really am liking the green giant frozen veggies that are pre-seasoned and come in little boxes.

Reason being, I loooove my veggies... but ... I love them smothered in garlic butter, mayonnaise (artichoke and asparagus), cheese, ranch dressing, olive oil salt pepper, etc... and I know I over-do it.

These green giant frozen veggies have butter, cheese, or olive oil "sauces" or "seasonings" but they aren't excessive like I would do. They are low cal, but not overly-chemically and not high in carbs
I like the bags of steamfresh veggies. I'm the opposite - I don't like stuff all over mine. I use the "butter" spray and give it a few squirts, grind some pepper over it and yum. I prefer my cauliflower and broccoli from fresh not frozen though, frozen gives me issues that fresh doesn't. Probably mental. Those little boxed though are perfect - and I think they are 50-100 calories depending on what you get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy and Happy View Post
I made homemade mayo yesterday, it's so much better than the nasty soybean oil stuff and super easy too! I used 3/4 c. Louanna coconut oil, (it's expeller pressed so no coconut flavor), 1/4 c. olive oil, 2 squeezed lemons, tsp salt, 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, and a squirt of dijon mustard. Then I just whizzed it all up in a glass jar with my inversion blender for a couple minutes. Oh, if you want it to be super healthy you can add a TB of whey, (the stuff you drain from plain yogurt), and let it sit out for a while before refrigerating. This lacto ferments it and it will keep in the fridge for a lot longer. I'm going to make some ranch dressing with it later today, yummy!
I was going to ask, then I reread and saw this. Sounds super easy, but I'm a little leery about raw eggs and salmonella... Of course I have an aversion to mayo anyway. Makes me nauseous.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #94

It's official. I need a new car, they've totaled my Murano.

And here she is really for real this time. Now I don't have the trade in for them to screw me over on. Last time I looked they offered me $7k for my car (insurance is giving me $12.5k!) and jacked the new car price up by 6 thousand so we walked. This time I found the one I want at a different dealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Juke.jpg (56.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Juke2.jpg (57.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

very nice!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #96

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Congrats, Heather.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #97

Hopefully I can get her this weekend.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #98

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Congrats on the new, cute car Heather. I saw one this morning... Juke, right?

Hi everyone... I have in interview today. Kind of nervous. Ate more than planned yesterday, too... grrr
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #99

Quote:
Congrats on the new, cute car Heather. I saw one this morning... Juke, right?

Hi everyone... I have in interview today. Kind of nervous. Ate more than planned yesterday, too... grrr
Thanks. I can't wait.

Good luck on the interview! You got this!
Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Thanks. I can't wait.

Good luck on the interview! You got this!
When do you get it?

Thanks, the interview did seem to go well... but I don't know when to expect to hear back!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #101

NSV: dh is on vacation for a few days and wants to go out to eat in a BAD way. Poor guy. I convinced him that it is not in my best interest to go right now. Gee--I'm not even 3 months out and my tummy eats such small amounts plus I can't drink anything while eating. It's dumb. So I explained all that plus how I was concerned I would be tempted to eat more than I should and might get sick. He understood and agreed. Woohoo!!! I told him maybe at 6 months or beyond but not now.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #102

Quote:
When do you get it?

Thanks, the interview did seem to go well... but I don't know when to expect to hear back!
Whenever I can get to the dealer and write the check. Not anytime this week, I'm hoping for this weekend but we'll see. I have the rental paid for by insurance through the 26th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
NSV: dh is on vacation for a few days and wants to go out to eat in a BAD way. Poor guy. I convinced him that it is not in my best interest to go right now. Gee--I'm not even 3 months out and my tummy eats such small amounts plus I can't drink anything while eating. It's dumb. So I explained all that plus how I was concerned I would be tempted to eat more than I should and might get sick. He understood and agreed. Woohoo!!! I told him maybe at 6 months or beyond but not now.
Understood, completely! But take your hubby out to eat! Mine resented that everything was about me, that everything was about food, that everything the rest of the family wanted to do was restricted or put on hold because of me. Take him out, let him eat and bring your own food or share with him. He missed doing things that we did before because all of our dates were dinners, movies, etc. As much as I needed not to go, he still needed TO go.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #103

Quote:
When people would want to go to eat to celebrate whatever, I would get things like miso soup or some other soup and just not take in the noodles or potatoes and whatnot. Then at 3-6 mos or so, I would just "share" with a friend which equated to nibbles... I would ask for an appetizer plate. Or I would get something like 1 soft taco and just chew the meat. I would not order a beverage. So, once you feel like the temptation won't get to you, I think you should go on a dinner date with hubby! I have been called a cheap date as a compliment a few times in the past 3 years lol

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Old 02-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My DH was sad at first because even though he's normal weight we both really enjoyed eating out. He felt like we couldn't share that anymore. But now we have a great time meeting for lunch dates or taking the whole family out on the wkends. I do prefer ordering a meal rather than a buffet since I can bring the rest of my meal home to eat later. But when we all go a buffet just makes more sense so I eat my little bit and don't worry about it.

I have never had a problem sipping a little with meals. I order an unsweetened tea and add my liquid stevia. But I don't think I'm a typical WLS patient, I have broken all the rules since day one.

Last edited by Healthy and Happy; 02-20-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
I eat out a lot too! I have always LOVED soup, so I often order just a cup (and often have some to bring home ), making me another cheap date Sometimes I look up menus before we go to make sure there is something I can eat and I can plan for calorie wise. Try it when you're ready, you can make it work with your eating program. Oh, I always order a water too, even though I'm not drinking. It makes the servers relax.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #106
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I started out getting a cup of soup and a water...or a small appetizer like shrimp cocktail or coconut shrimp. Now I will get a meal and take half home for lunch the next day...or a midnight snack sometimes. I came to realize rather quickly that I could still have the social part and not miss the eating part too much. It just another part of the lifestyle change that takes a bit to get used to.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 AM   #107

Thanks for the advice about eating out. I do miss it but I am just not ready yet. I will definitely get there, just not quite yet. Soup is a great option cause you don't have to drink but you get your liquid anyway.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

I must have lost some more inches because yesterday when I was coming into work, 2 different people stopped me on my way to my classroom to compliment me on my weight loss. Both opened with Have you lost weight? Which I gave my standard answer, yes I've lost a significant amount of weight, while chuckling inside because YES I've lost weight, 100 pounds from my highest I'm sure they probably noticed before, but just felt moved to comment on it now. I don't know why I am so reluctant to tell people HOW MUCH I've lost; if they ask me that question I answer A lot One of my friends said she would be so proud she would shout it from the rooftops; I don't know why I feel so private about the actual number. I mean it's not like they couldn't see for themselves that I was morbidly obese. But whatever the reason, it is how I feel, so I am honoring that. I know we've discussed whether people tell others about their surgery, but do you also tell the exact number of pounds lost? I only tell my husband, parents, and closest of friends.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #109

Jesse---nope I don't normally tell people how much I've lost. I don't keep a good record anyway---don't weigh in everyday, it's not good for me. Everyone is different with that.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

little victories

At my fitness place, they ask that we not wear our street shoes on the equipment, especially now when we all track in snow, sidewalk salt etc. They have a boot rack and a bench by the door so you can change footwear. I swear in the past I probably would have gone to the changing room to avoid being seen struggling to bend enough to tie my shoes. Not a problem anymore! I marvel at the thousands of little ways my life has gotten easier.

Last edited by Jesse; 02-23-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
At my fitness place, they ask that we not wear our street shoes on the equipment, especially now when we all track in snow, sidewalk salt etc. They have a boot rack and a bench by the door so you can change footwear. I swear in the past I probably would have gone to the changing room to avoid being seen struggling to bend enough to tie my shoes. Not a problem anymore! I marvel at the thousands of little ways my life has gotten easier.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #112

Quote:
I must have lost some more inches

do you also tell the exact number of pounds lost? I only tell my husband, parents, and closest of friends.
Have you increased workouts or toning exercises? That changes your body FAST. In a good way!

I tell if asked. I don't just bring it up in conversations in general but if it's about weight loss and someone mentions mine I have no issues telling them how much. I did it, I worked hard for it - put in a lot of sweat at the gym to maintain it. I own it. At first I was embarassed by the sheer amount I'd lost. People would say WOW I didn't realize you had that much to lose! My SIL said she wouldn't have guessed that I weighed any more than 180 (hello... more like over 280). But as the time passed I just accepted it and I own it. Now I'm trying to do the same thing with self image and body acceptance.

Quote:
don't weigh in everyday, it's not good for me. Everyone is different with that.
Lol - I'm on the scale every time I pass it. Yup.

Quote:
in the past I probably would have gone to the changing room to avoid being seen struggling to bend enough to tie my shoes. Not a problem anymore! I marvel at the thousands of little ways my life has gotten easier.

Yes, and there will be thousands more. I remember over a year ago dragging my suitcase through the airport thinking they were going to charge me extra for overweight luggage. When they weighed it it was *only* 40 pounds and I remember thinking "How in the h3ll did I carry over 4 of these (150+ extra pounds) on me every single day?!!!???". It was eye opening exactly how much my life had changed for the better and was a HUGE motivator to do whatever it took to keep it off.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Krissy66
Stats: I'm not overweight, I'm undertall
WOE: (VSG 11/28/12)
Start Date: June, 2008
Quote:
I totally relate to this. My BF thinks "You can eat anything now!" (just smaller amts he says).
I said, honey, I didn't have 80% of my stomach removed to eat anything I want.
I think from time to time it gets to him. He likes that I am getting slimmer, but he doesn't understand the psychological impact it has on our dining out, vacations (we have a vacation in May in Puerto Rico so we will see).
I was just looking at a photo from a party we went to on Saturday and I think I can notice a real difference now (at least in my face and upper body--LOL)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pre WLS 1.jpg (81.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg degs 40th.jpg (22.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can see a difference and you are looking great!

By May you should be able to enjoy sharing a meal together, literally.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy66 View Post
I totally relate to this. My BF thinks "You can eat anything now!" (just smaller amts he says).
We always could eat anything we wanted. Look where it got us.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #116
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
If asked, I have no hesitation in telling people how much I've lost. However, at the WLS support group I went to on Saturday, the majority of people said they resent being asked, that it's too personal and private to them.
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #117

Hi... geez, I am having a really tough time staying on track. I don't know if work stress is getting to me or what... speaking of which, I was supposed to hear back today on a job offer I was trying to negotiate... since I did not, and it will be 5:00pm in about half an hour, I am about to make that call... sigh...

Not being able to stay on track makes me feel so... ? FAT ???

Anyway, I don't know if any of you noticed, but my "user title" changed today... to Moderator. I was nominated (lol) by a couple of the Admins and since these boards have been such a blessing to me I decided of course, I would help where I can.

My first "rights" will be here on the WLS boards, since this is my home but we are making sure I am comfortable first before even that. So if you have anything you want edited (after the 60 min window is up) or removed in the next couple of weeks... let me know so I can practice lol
Old 02-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
We always could eat anything we wanted. Look where it got us.
LOL good point.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #119
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Sorry guys - I'm sick and miserable and can't seem to make the scale go down. Well, I can, I just have to go back to basics.

I am not in a good place right now in any area of my life. I hate to pull the drama card, but it stinks. And it really stinks to not (even) be able to comfort myself with food. Even if I could, I can't taste it anyway. Also too stuffed up to walk with any kind of speed. It just stinks!

Congrats on the losses and NSV's & Mary, congrats on the Moderator thing. Can you remove about 15 pounds offa me? :P
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 02-25-2013 at 05:10 PM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Sorry guys - I'm sick and miserable and can't seem to make the scale go down. Well, I can, I just have to go back to basics.

I am not in a good place right now in any area of my life. I hate to pull the drama card, but it stinks. And it really stinks to not (even) be able to comfort myself with food. Even if I could, I can't taste it anyway. Also too stuffed up to walk with any kind of speed. It just stinks!

Congrats on the losses and NSV's & Mary, congrats on the Moderator thing. Can you remove about 15 pounds offa me? :P
lol if I could do that, I would start with myself