Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Waaaa---was on my treadmill and almost fell off cause it just stopped. I was warming up and only walked about 2 minutes. GRRRRRRR Now I have to get it fixed. This is only day 3. I guess I'll walk outside tomorrow.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #92

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
199.5 baby! Enough said.
Rockstar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissykin View Post
I love your workout ethic! I wish I could find mine. My NY resolution was to start hitting the gym and tone up but, I hired a housekeeper and I am trying to get some deep cleaning done so she can then maintain it. I am spending my free time transporting kids and cleaning.
I make it non-optional. You have to find something you LOVE in order to really stick to it, but there's something out there for everyone. In the meantime just push through trying all kinds of things until you find it.

I have my workout classes on my schedule, so I can look at say Nope I can't do that I have a class. I schedule my life around my workouts just like I do around my job or like I would around school.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Waaaa---was on my treadmill and almost fell off cause it just stopped. I was warming up and only walked about 2 minutes. GRRRRRRR Now I have to get it fixed. This is only day 3. I guess I'll walk outside tomorrow.
that is too bad!

How bad am I....I am sitting in the parking lot of the gym on my iPad while my daughter is at a fitness class I should be inside working out but I cleaned all day and am too tired.

I have lost 75 inches though i measured Monday! That is over six feet, I am amazed!! I have never weighed this much in my entire adult life.

Last edited by Chrissykin; 01-17-2013 at 06:01 PM..
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Rockstar!

I make it non-optional. You have to find something you LOVE in order to really stick to it, but there's something out there for everyone. In the meantime just push through trying all kinds of things until you find it.

I have my workout classes on my schedule, so I can look at say Nope I can't do that I have a class. I schedule my life around my workouts just like I do around my job or like I would around school.
Your so right! I was thinking about taking a yoga class, they only offer it once a week though. Do you think it is enough to get any benefit?

Also, when I met my surgeon yesterday we talked about my acid issues. He said if we can't get it under control I may have to think about a revision to bypass.

Last edited by Chrissykin; 01-17-2013 at 06:06 PM..
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Quote:
199.5 baby! Enough said.
One of the best feelings in the world!! Congrats!!!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

I also do just about whatever I need to do to get the exercise in... including getting up at 5AM to do it. It sucks to get up that early, but I feel such a sense of accomplishment when it is done. As a matter of fact, I am truly missing not being able to work out right now. I cannot wait until I can go for a nice fast walk again.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Not a bad place to be, but absolutely no reason you have to snuggle in where your body wants to hover if you still want to hit 174. You can get there if you want.

So... I was planning on having surgery early in this year but it looks like I'm pushing it back. Who knows when. Why? So I can attend a Yoga Master retreat in April, lol. Yes, for exercise. Originally I thought hey I can have surgery in February and be ready by mid april, but then decided not to "risk" it. So now I'm thinking maybe late April or mid summer. Who would have thought a few years ago I would avoid doing something so I could KEEP working out. Used to be I would avoid working out by doing something.
Thanks for gently suggesting to me that I can get there if I put my mind (and body) to it. Once I heal I just may do it, darn it, cause I can!

As far as surgery...I can tell you be very ready for a long recovery. No, you won't be 100% helpless for months on end, but, as I'm sure you know, this kind of recovery is in tiny baby steps, especially if you have complications, etc... I had my breast lift and arms done over a year ago now, and I can truly say it seemed like it was a good 6 months before I felt maybe 85% recovered. I had my tummy tuck in early July, and only now does that feel mostly healed, too. I had my thigh lift three weeks ago today and I am still almost as uncomfortable as I was in week one. Patience is not my #1 virtue... but I deal with it. I know what you mean about the exercise; I keep missing otherwise well-timed 5Ks whenever I have surgery! No more surgeries, though, so I am thinking I'll start training for one...maybe I'll be up to getting back to serious walking/jogging before Valentine's Day...
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #98
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
I am wearing a pair of size 12 Gloria Vanderbilt jeans
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Quote:
You just work around it! Pick it up and move it around. Wear compression workout clothes. Twist or bend less. I used to just work out in cheapo baggy clothes, but now I invest in better gear. Performance dry fit tops. Good yoga or running bottoms. I spent $70 on a pair of yoga pants, and even though I own a million billion pairs of other pants I wear these all the time because the fit and function are tons better. Not to mention if I spend that much on workout gear, by gosh I better keep working out!
So just grab the flab and shove it out of the way?

I am by far the largest gal in the class, so I try to "hide" but you can't do that very well in a room of mirrors.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #100

Quote:
How bad am I....I am sitting in the parking lot of the gym on my iPad while my daughter is at a fitness class I should be inside working out but I cleaned all day and am too tired.
That's the best time to just do it. You are ALREADY THERE! And it will give you energy to get out of that tired slump. Just do it.

Quote:
Your so right! I was thinking about taking a yoga class, they only offer it once a week though. Do you think it is enough to get any benefit?

Also, when I met my surgeon yesterday we talked about my acid issues. He said if we can't get it under control I may have to think about a revision to bypass.
Once a week is better than none a week! Yes, I think anything you do to increase your flexibility is good. I started out one day a week, moved to two, and now I'm at 6 with yoga.

I heart my RNY. It's definitely different than a VSG as far as food tolerance, but overall it's similar enough that you should be okay education wise.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnopedie View Post
So just grab the flab and shove it out of the way?

I am by far the largest gal in the class, so I try to "hide" but you can't do that very well in a room of mirrors.
Pretty much! I am constantly readjusting butt skin when I'm sitting, or abdomen when I'm twisting... stuff like that. It's all about modification.

And for those of you who are worried about standing out in the room... to be honest, when I'm working on poses and focused on getting my positioning right - I only see myself. If I look around at someone else it's to make sure I heard the pose right. I'll lose my concentration and fall over if I'm always watching the room!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #102

One of my missions for 2013 is to decrease physical and mental clutter. I've made multiple trips to Goodwill to drop things off recently, and I'm talking trunkloads of stuff each time. Bags and boxes. I've taken a literal approach to things, and it's probably what I should have done to begin with before I accumulated just so much STUFF. And it's not trash, I just have a lot of things. Nice stuff, some expensive stuff... but still just stuff. It just took up space.

A lot of it I have been posting and selling on the FB site I found. It's like an online garage sale. And then I take that money earned and put it into new things for the house or for me. I got a new washer and dryer. A new bed and mattress for my son. Curtains. A dining room table. End tables. Wall decor. Shoes and boots. Just all kinds of nicer new things that came out of practically nothing. Well, not nothing, but out of things I needed to get rid of.

I decided to just be brutal. If I had something, no matter how great it was, and I could not immediately determine where it was going or needed to go after I decluttered it went out. If I hadn't used it for any other reason other than I couldn't find it, it went out. If I had multiples, it went out. If it wasn't sentimental or important, it went out. It is very liberating. I've done my bedroom completely. I did my bathroom, but it could stand another go through. I need to go back through my linens and clothes again. I did a lot of my sewing/craft room, but have some more things to go through in there too. The kitchen could use another round. My bookshelves were purged of books I won't read again or books my kids have outgrown. Did I really still need my nursing textbooks from 10 years ago? I've started to go through boxes in the garage as well. Those have been sitting there since we moved 10 YEARS ago and were never unpacked. Mostly from the kids rooms - we redid their stuff when we bought the house and everything else was just pushed to the back of the garage...

With the loss of physical clutter, I've started to gain some more mental clarity. It seems silly, but all that environment determining your mood stuff is pretty spot on. I'm calmer, happier. More productive I think because I'm not overwhelmed. When I look for a coffee mug I don't have to dig through 20 cups before I find my favorite one or two. Now I just have my favorites and the rest have gone. It's working for me. I had dozens of bottles of perfumes, but really only wore two or three. Had 25-30 purses and probably a dozen or two wallets, but really only used them a few months each and will never use them again... gone but for a few favorites. I sold my beautiful Cole Haan and Kate Spade bags because they had literally SAT on a closet shelf for a year of two unused. And I don't miss them at all, they weren't special.

I've started to accept myself more, and that's a bonus. I've gotten rid of clothes that made me feel bad about myself, even though they fit and someone said they looked good. If they didn't make me feel good I don't care HOW cute they were or how much I spent on them. It's really very freeing. Hopefully I can keep this up. It's been a few months and I haven't regretted purging something yet...
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #103

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Congrats, Jesse!!!!!

And AllisonB!!

... And H&H I love seeing the pregnancy updates

Actually I love everyone's posts.... I am sorry I don't post as much as I'd like. Once I am back in the office I might be able to post more on break times. Posting from my phone or little netbook in bed is annoying, much easier to post at a desk with a real keyboard.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
I am wearing a pair of size 12 Gloria Vanderbilt jeans
Fantastic! I have a soft spot in my heart for Gloria Vanderbilt jeans ~ back in college when I was a pretty young thing they were my favorite jeans, I loved them even more than my Calvin Kleins. Hmmm I should go shopping
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Rockstar!

This I go straight from work to my gym ~ I can technically leave work at 3:15, but normally leave at 4. I stop at the gym on the way home, workout and still have time to start supper etc. My family just considers me "at work" until about 5:30 or so.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #106

Quote:
This I go straight from work to my gym ~ I can technically leave work at 3:15, but normally leave at 4. I stop at the gym on the way home, workout and still have time to start supper etc. My family just considers me "at work" until about 5:30 or so.
Awesome!!!

My treadmill is fixed. I am back to walking and am increasing my distance everyday, so far.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #107

Phew, cooling down. Did 20 minutes on tm and then decided to try the bike. OMG---it was much harder. DS18 has the tension set hard and I did 5 minutes and went 1 mile. LOL It said I only burned 20 calories. That was a lot of work for 20 calories. Oh well, at least I tried it and got in more exercise.

My surgeon said that the first 15 minutes of cardio only burns what you ate that day and then after that starts burning the fat so he said you have to do at least 30 minutes or more a day(he really wants 60 minutes). I'm doing the most I can right now and increasing my speed everyday plus today I went 25 minutes. That will increase too as I gain more endurance.
I WILL Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Phillipians 4:13
God's Delay does not mean God's Denial
PROGRESS not perfection!!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

You guys are doing great with your exercise! When I first started all I could manage was a slow 2 trips around my cul-de-sac (.4 miles). I think I walked ten minutes that day. I worked up to 45 - 60 min - or more over about 6 months' time and slowly worked at increasing intensity and speed, too. I also added different activities sometimes - although walking/jogging is what I have really learned to love. My point? You will also get better and better at what you're doing and as you drop more weight it will be even more satisfying to exercise.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #109

Thanks, H.T.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
You guys are doing great with your exercise! When I first started all I could manage was a slow 2 trips around my cul-de-sac (.4 miles). I think I walked ten minutes that day. I worked up to 45 - 60 min - or more over about 6 months' time and slowly worked at increasing intensity and speed, too. I also added different activities sometimes - although walking/jogging is what I have really learned to love. My point? You will also get better and better at what you're doing and as you drop more weight it will be even more satisfying to exercise.
I remember when you were there! You have come SUCH a long way... you rock!!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

I went shopping today; they are practically giving the clothes away in some stores I bought 2 pairs of jeans, a pair of dress slacks, a dress, 5 cardigans, one heavy sweater (Liz Claiborn sooo cute) and 5 tops that I will wear with the cardigans now and without (if they still fit) this spring ~ and I spent.... wait for it.... $160.00. Yes you read that right! I AM A WARRIOR!! Penny's had tons of stuff marked down to $4 a piece, makes the $$ go a long way. (I had lots of coupons too)

I shopped exclusively in the misses and juniors sections. I've been wearing some 1Xs still from womens, but mostly XL from misses. Today I bought all L. The pants I bought are just smaller versions of what I am currrently wearing more or less. So right now I am wearing 16W from Dress Barn and Penny's. Today I bought size 14 misses. It confounds and confuses me. I'm dealing though Time to get things ready for the consignment store. Did I mention I love my sleeve
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #112

Woohoo, Jesse. Way to go. I also shopped today online---bought 5 tops from Penny's and will pick them up this week(free ship to store)---spent only $27 and 2 of those are cardigans too. I will also look in the store while I'm there.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
My surgeon said that the first 15 minutes of cardio only burns what you ate that day and then after that starts burning the fat so he said you have to do at least 30 minutes or more a day(he really wants 60 minutes). I'm doing the most I can right now and increasing my speed everyday plus today I went 25 minutes. That will increase too as I gain more endurance.
Depending on what you eat, that's pretty true. The body breaks the food down into usable bits. When you are active your body uses up the glycogen it's broken the carbs down into. If you are LESS active than the amount you have available the body stores it away as fat. So the higher carb you eat the more your body has to burn through to get to the stored fat... which is why low carb diets show great results if you can stick to it.

Quote:
I went shopping today; they are practically giving the clothes away in some stores I bought 2 pairs of jeans, a pair of dress slacks, a dress, 5 cardigans, one heavy sweater (Liz Claiborn sooo cute) and 5 tops that I will wear with the cardigans now and without (if they still fit) this spring ~ and I spent.... wait for it.... $160.00.
Not a bad start lol. I went shopping yesterday and got a pink wool heavy coat, a pair of yoga pants, a workout tank and a sports bra for $27. The coat alone was originally $70. I never pay full price for anything and I'm not afraid to ask for additional discounts.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #114

Quote:
Depending on what you eat, that's pretty true. The body breaks the food down into usable bits. When you are active your body uses up the glycogen it's broken the carbs down into. If you are LESS active than the amount you have available the body stores it away as fat. So the higher carb you eat the more your body has to burn through to get to the stored fat... which is why low carb diets show great results if you can stick to it.

Not a bad start lol. I went shopping yesterday and got a pink wool heavy coat, a pair of yoga pants, a workout tank and a sports bra for $27. The coat alone was originally $70. I never pay full price for anything and I'm not afraid to ask for additional discounts.
Great job!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #115
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I remember when you were there! You have come SUCH a long way... you rock!!!!
Thanks Mary. You were - and are - one of my inspirations, so this is especially meaningful coming from you.

I walked .6 miles this morning. I was somewhat hesitant to do it because I think that's what started my infection last time, but the urge was too strong, so I walked. I then immediately showered; hope that helps.

Buying new clothes is a great experience - well, it was for me once I got over the shock of it all, that is! After years of deciding over the best of the worst of maybe 5 items in a plus-sized catalog to suddenly have hundreds of things to pick from was overwhelming. However, I got used to it quickly!

Any baby updates? Do tell!

Hope you're all having a great Sunday. Love you ladies!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #116

I have to be honest... I am having a very rough time emotionally right now. I know it might sound crazy but my dance/fitness classes were my addiction, my obsession, my DISTRACTION. Being in recovery and having so much time to reflect and be ALONE has not been good for me emotionally. I am happy with my surgery, this has zero to do with that in a direct way.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Thanks Mary. You were - and are - one of my inspirations, so this is especially meaningful coming from you.

I walked .6 miles this morning. I was somewhat hesitant to do it because I think that's what started my infection last time, but the urge was too strong, so I walked. I then immediately showered; hope that helps.

Buying new clothes is a great experience - well, it was for me once I got over the shock of it all, that is! After years of deciding over the best of the worst of maybe 5 items in a plus-sized catalog to suddenly have hundreds of things to pick from was overwhelming. However, I got used to it quickly!

Any baby updates? Do tell!

Hope you're all having a great Sunday. Love you ladies!
I was thinking about my mindframe around plus sized clothes. I tried to have a decent wardrobe, but it was so hard to find things and I often settled for what was presentable and fit. Today I made myself put on my new clothes even though I was only going to the grocery store. In the past I "saved" nice things for work or going out, but I didn't wear them on a Saturday for errands, no way. If I had something I liked I was afraid of wearing it out, because I knew how hard it would be to replace it. I kept the same 2 pairs of dress pants for almost 4 years by taking meticulous care of them. Now I know I can go into just about any store and find something I like and I'm trying to teach myself to relax, the clothes famine is over.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I have to be honest... I am having a very rough time emotionally right now. I know it might sound crazy but my dance/fitness classes were my addiction, my obsession, my DISTRACTION. Being in recovery and having so much time to reflect and be ALONE has not been good for me emotionally. I am happy with my surgery, this has zero to do with that in a direct way.
I don't think that sounds crazy at all! It's your creative, artistic and physical outlet, and you've been away from it for awhile. How soon before you can return?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #119
Blabbermouth!!!

Both of you must be in my head... I still have trouble wearing all of my clothes because I don't wanna mess them up. I have to get over that. I also sometimes still wear a 2x or 3x item which I know makes no sense cause I am a 14 & sometimes even a 12!

Also, Mary, I am right there with missing exercise. I don't have that stress relief and I also had/have too much time to think. All I can say is this isn't forever & we'll be back to it soon. Hang in there!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #120

I FINALLY took some pics I can post. I have been taking pics weekly but so far they have been inappropriate for posting here. Even this is kinda iffy for me, genie bra and shorts. I don't have a full length mirror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7 weeks front.jpg (13.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 7 weeks back.jpg (15.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 7 Weeks side.jpg (16.0 KB, 20 views)