Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnopedie View Post
HH - CONGRATS!!!!

Melodye- I've been loving water aerobics... I've only done a few classes, but so far, so good.

I have to start back to work tomorrow. I'm a little concerned with how I'm going to feed myself during the day... I work a 9 hour shift with an hour lunch break. What did everyone do?
I take my rtd shake in a covered coffee cup, the to go kind. I drink that as my breakfast with my water glass sitting on my desk. I usually finish my shake within 60-90 minutes and I keep track of all my water. I only work till noon so I come home and usually have broth. I'm still on shakes---bleck---so I have my second shake anytime after 5 up till 7 or so. An hour should be plenty of time to eat enough. Do you get any other breaks? What do you do?
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Melodye
Stats: 209/199/160
WOE: WW
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Good morning all. I weighed in at 200.4 this morning. I'm almost to "Onederland" . I hope to be below 200 by Christmas ad I really think I can do it. I am surprised that I am actually losing weight while being on this 12 day steroid pack. They usually make me hungry. My blood sugars have been running higher but thats to be expected. I will be glad when I finish this steroid pack, so my blood sugars will go back to normal.

Is everyone ready for Christmas? I have a few things to finish up with today and I willl be set.

Sinderella!!!

"You can achieve it, if you just believe it"
Melodye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Welcome, Sinderella!

Congrats Melodye! I hope your BS evens out quickly.

I am at 189 this morning.
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Allison.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #125

Hi. Had my first post op appt today. Went well. 16 pounds down. I thought it would be more. I guess it's time to ramp up my exercise.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Hi. Had my first post op appt today. Went well. 16 pounds down. I thought it would be more. I guess it's time to ramp up my exercise.
That's good, Chewie. It will come off. How are you doing with your liquids?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #127
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Yay Chewie and Melodye! Glad to hear you girls are doing well... 16 pounds is nothing to sneeze at!!

I am currently failing miserably. Just trying to get through the next 24 hours than I'll be somewhat better and able to write more.

In the meantime, suggestions to help stop a cold from getting any worse... I am taking a mucus relief medicine and vitamin c drops. Also taking zicam every 4 hours or whenever it says. In the last few hours I seem to have also developed a bit of a sore throat. Should I take an antibiotic I have left over from a while back? Should I be doing anything else to make this cold go away as quickly as possible? Should I keep walking or not? Rest more? Eat anything specific? Ladies (and especially nurse-type people), please give me some advice! I have to be well for my surgery next Thursday! Help! Thanks!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
I had my 6 month check up today ~ according to my clinic I'm down 84 pounds. My surgeon was pleased with my progress. My nutritionist was really encouraging me to do better with my supplements I take 2 calcium, she wants 3, I take one multivitamin with iron, she wants 2. Sigh. The vitamins don't sit nicely, so I really need 2? She said yes. The appointment took forever, I was there 2 hours. Ironically as I'm telling them how great I feel and how well it's going I began to feel lightheaded and realized I'd missed lunch, and hadn't eaten or drank in hours. Doh! I made it through the blood draw without fainting and finally got some lunch at 3:30 pm. Everything seems good, so onward to the next 6 months.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I had my 6 month check up today ~ according to my clinic I'm down 84 pounds. My surgeon was pleased with my progress. My nutritionist was really encouraging me to do better with my supplements I take 2 calcium, she wants 3, I take one multivitamin with iron, she wants 2. Sigh. The vitamins don't sit nicely, so I really need 2? She said yes. The appointment took forever, I was there 2 hours. Ironically as I'm telling them how great I feel and how well it's going I began to feel lightheaded and realized I'd missed lunch, and hadn't eaten or drank in hours. Doh! I made it through the blood draw without fainting and finally got some lunch at 3:30 pm. Everything seems good, so onward to the next 6 months.
Congrats Jesse on losing 84!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
Congrats Jesse!
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #131

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I am currently failing miserably. Just trying to get through the next 24 hours than I'll be somewhat better and able to write more.

In the meantime, suggestions to help stop a cold from getting any worse... I am taking a mucus relief medicine and vitamin c drops. Also taking zicam every 4 hours or whenever it says. In the last few hours I seem to have also developed a bit of a sore throat. Should I take an antibiotic I have left over from a while back? Should I be doing anything else to make this cold go away as quickly as possible? Should I keep walking or not? Rest more? Eat anything specific? Ladies (and especially nurse-type people), please give me some advice! I have to be well for my surgery next Thursday! Help! Thanks!
Are you? Chances are you are just making bad choices - but that's all they are. CHOICES. It's hard. But I seriously doubt you are failing miserably. Maybe you aren't where you want to be yet. Yet. But then again you are nowhere NEAR where you started.

The cold. It just has to run it's course. Abx won't help if it's a cold. C will help prevent one, not really help once you have one. Just fluids fluids fluids and whatever you need to treat the symptoms.

Quote:
Congrats on the loss. That's awesome!!

Supplements. Yes you really need that. We have a really good thread on vitamins and supplements here. Go find it and read up on it. I'm a "stickler" for supplementation and I can tell you firsthand how much of a difference it makes in how you feel. And how hard it is to get back from dropped labs. 6 months out, a year out... you won't see it because you are running on reserves. It's when you hit a few years out that it starts to hurt you if you don't have taking them ingrained as a habit. I hit my low protein and low iron hard and have to take quite a bit to keep them up.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Hello all. I am officially under 200 pounds, I weighed in today at 198.8.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodye View Post
Old 12-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #134
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Quote:
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: awlass
Stats: 385 / 375.8 / 194.4 / 150
WOE: RNY
Start Date: 10/20/11 RNY 05/15/2012
Yay melodye!! Im so happy for you!!!!

Im feeling pretty good. Finally getting into a good routine.

What in the heck is a mangosteen? Thats the flavor of emergen-c i ended up with, and its interesting..

Last edited by awlass; 12-21-2012 at 12:19 PM..
awlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #136
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome to Onederland Melodye!!!

Thanks for the cold advice, Heather. And also, you're right - I'm making bad choices and it will stop. I've done much better today. I'm going to turn this around. That, and drink even more water/fluids.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #137

Good morning. I'm a bit confused. Am I supposed to take my calcium citrates seperate from my multivitamin? I know I have to take my thyroid pill all by itself and iron too. I don't have the iron yet. Any suggestions on what kind to buy? Plus doesn't iron give you constipation?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOE: VSG 10/2011 85 lbs. lost
Floradix is the iron I take, it has B vitamins also and is a liquid. It won't constipate.
Healthy and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #139
Blabbermouth!!!

I was told to take my multivitamins and my calcium at different times of the day. Multivitamins tend to make me queasy, so I typically take them right before bed. I haven't needed iron (yet), but I like the sound of one that doesn't constipate!

Having a much better eating and exercise day over here... I walked/jogged while my DD9 rode her bike (mostly) alongside... We were probably out there 30 minutes. I also ate smaller portions today and drank several bottles of water so far. Nights are tougher, but I am determined to make better choices...and so I am!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #140

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
If your multi has iron, that is the only reason I would think you would be asked to take it separately from the Calcium. I have Celebrate chewable multi with Iron and I do not take it when I am taking my Calcium, or even when I am eating a high-calcium "meal" (no one told me to do that, I just figured it makes sense lol). But when I take a regular multi that does not have a full "dose" of Iron, I go ahead and take calcium at the same time.
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #141

Quote:
Good morning. I'm a bit confused. Am I supposed to take my calcium citrates separate from my multivitamin? I know I have to take my thyroid pill all by itself and iron too. I don't have the iron yet. Any suggestions on what kind to buy? Plus doesn't iron give you constipation?
If your multi has iron, and you want to absorb the iron, then take it separately. You need to take at least 300 mg of calcium in order for it to block the iron. However, most multis have the least absorbed type of iron so it's a moot point. Certain types of iron give you constipation.

Regarding iron:

You want to think in terms of elemental iron.

Ferrous gluconate 325 mg is equivalent to 35 mg elemental iron.
Ferrous sulfate - 325 mg is equivalent to 65 mg elemental iron.
Ferrous fumerate - 325 mg is equivalent to 108 mg elemental iron.
Heme matches mg to mg so 12 mg is equivalent to 12 mg elemental iron.
Carbonyl is equivalent mg for mg as well.

So if the first amount is significantly higher than the other amount, then the rest is iron salt and is excreted (causing constipation). Gluconate is the most constipating. Then sulfate, then fumerate. I take a combination of heme and carbonyl. I take A LOT of iron a day to keep my levels up.

If you are concerned about constipation and want more bang for your buck then stick to heme or carbonyl. Carbonyl is more expensive than the first three, but still reasonable. Heme is the most expensive of all, but worth it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy and Happy View Post
Floradix is the iron I take, it has B vitamins also and is a liquid. It won't constipate.
What concerns me about this is that it's iron gluconate. So a lot of it is wasted. Now the liquid is absorbed at a rate of 25% versus 10% like the solid, but you are still only getting 1 mg out of every 4. AND it has 5 grams of sugar and 20 calories per serving - which is a LOT. I take 172 mg of iron a day, which would be 15 servings of this kind. Or 87.5 grams of sugar and 350 calories! And in the case of RNY the B vitamins are wasted because they don't absorb in the stomach because we lack the intrinsic factor. They will be absorbed by someone with a band and a sleeve though.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #142

I bumped the vitamin discussion.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:24 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonB View Post
Welcome, Sinderella!

Congrats Melodye! I hope your BS evens out quickly.

I am at 189 this morning.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Congrats everyone you are all rocking those sleeves!

I miss everyone, this working thing is really cutting into my internet time I hope everyone has a great holiday
Chrissykin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
Quote:
Welcome to Onederland Melodye!!!

Thanks for the cold advice, Heather. And also, you're right - I'm making bad choices and it will stop. I've done much better today. I'm going to turn this around. That, and drink even more water/fluids.
I hope things are going better for you soon HT
Chrissykin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

This is my first New Year approaching with the sleeve. I cannot describe my sense of gratitude that I no longer need to begin my list of resolutions with lose weight, eat healthier, exercise .... I am doing those things I will admit I am a little anxious about my gym getting super crowded next week, but I guess I'll just have to cope.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Don't worry - people only come for a few weeks then it clears out again.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Don't worry - people only come for a few weeks then it clears out again.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Just wanted to wish each one of you a Merry Christmas .

Its hard to believe the change in me this year compared to last year at this time. I feel so much better now. I look at my old pictures and I can't believe that I was so big and miserable at the time. I was also very unhealthy and on lots of medications which I no longer have to take. I sure don't miss taking those insulin shots.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #149

I too want to say Merry Christmas. You all have been a great inspiration to me.

I hope to be able to write just what Melodye wrote above next year. Today makes 4 weeks into my new life.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Merry Christmas to Everyone! I think all of us help each other so much. Whether it be writing about successes, struggles, or questions, every time I come here I leave a little stronger about what I need to do each day. Thank you all very much for being a part of this board. I hope you all have a great day tomorrow!