Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Help---the best protein bars

Normally I don't like protein bars but just for a change, once I start the twice a day protein shakes a day plus a regular lc meal, I think I might need one every now and then. I'd really appreciate some recommendations plus if anyone can give me the stats I should look for in one, that'd be great. By that I mean how much protein, calories, etc.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Chrissykin
WOE: VSG 7/3/2012 and low carb -141#
I have tried the oh yeah, oh yeah low carb, pure protein and Luna bars.

The oh yeah low carb and Luna bars are my favorites. The Luna bars are a little high in carbs vs. protein but I work them in and really like them.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #3

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
My rule of thumb is the calorie protein ratio must be at least 10/1. That means a 200 calorie bar must have AT LEAST 20 grams of protein. Anything less and it's not a good protein supplement and I can't justify the additional calories.

No added sugar. Preferably no more than 5 grams per bar. IF there are sugars, they must not be in the first 5 ingredients and the total sugars must still be less than 5 per bar.

Very few fit my requirements. Most of them are just glorified candy bars.

My "go to" bar (of which I have dozens in my pantry) is Pure Protein's Chocolate Deluxe. 180 calories and 20 grams protein so it passes my ratio test. Sugar is listed as an ingredient in the "chocolate drops" (chips) but it's well past the 5th ingredient and the total sugars are only 2. Sugar alcohols are 4, which is awesome. Fat is good at 4.5, although it's high in saturated fat at 3.5 grams. I don't eat them daily, but I use them as meal replacements on weekends when I'm busiest. I certainly don't use them as supplemental snacks though.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GreytMuse
Stats: 205.5/150/150 (5'5" - 49 yo!)
WOE: Atkins Induction (low carb+low calorie)
Start Date: May 14, 2012
I just made these low carb protein bars that were created by LiterateGriffin -- see what you think!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...tein-bars.html

I followed the recipe exactly, next time I am going to substitute some unsweetened coconut and maybe some dried blueberries. I also want to try another nut besides macadamia, maybe pecans?

Good luck!
GreytMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Love the Quest bars but they are pricey! I may try those homemade ones!
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #6

The homemade ones sound delicious as a sometime treat, but they don't have NEAR enough protein in them compared to the calorie count to justify as a protein source for me (my 10/1 rule).

I've tried the Quest bars, and ironically they made me sick to my stomach. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but it had me running to the bathroom within 5-10 minutes of eating and I was in there for a good little while. So I didn't try them again. It was odd because there's really nothing in them to trigger anything and I'm sure I've eaten worse!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Savannah
Stats: 307.8/205/175
WOE: VSG 2/27/12 & low carb
Start Date: everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
My rule of thumb is the calorie protein ratio must be at least 10/1. That means a 200 calorie bar must have AT LEAST 20 grams of protein. Anything less and it's not a good protein supplement and I can't justify the additional calories.

No added sugar. Preferably no more than 5 grams per bar. IF there are sugars, they must not be in the first 5 ingredients and the total sugars must still be less than 5 per bar.

Very few fit my requirements. Most of them are just glorified candy bars.

My "go to" bar (of which I have dozens in my pantry) is Pure Protein's Chocolate Deluxe. 180 calories and 20 grams protein so it passes my ratio test. Sugar is listed as an ingredient in the "chocolate drops" (chips) but it's well past the 5th ingredient and the total sugars are only 2. Sugar alcohols are 4, which is awesome. Fat is good at 4.5, although it's high in saturated fat at 3.5 grams. I don't eat them daily, but I use them as meal replacements on weekends when I'm busiest. I certainly don't use them as supplemental snacks though.
Heather,

Thanks for the info on these going to check them out!

I was using the Premier protein bars with 30 G protein , but higher in carbs I finally used them all up. Not buying any more for a while. Quest made me too uncomfortable with the fiber content & did not like the taste. Except for the
brownie one i may try again. Atkins bars have fiber that does not bother me but most times the carbs are too high for the amount of protein.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #8

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Personally, believe it or not, protein bars are trigger food... I want to keep eating them. But if I don't eat them at all, I don't miss them terribly.

Power Crunch and Quest are low in carbs and have NO SUGAR ALCOHOL
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Personally, believe it or not, protein bars are trigger food... I want to keep eating them. But if I don't eat them at all, I don't miss them terribly.

Power Crunch and Quest are low in carbs and have NO SUGAR ALCOHOL
These are my two favs. The Power Crunch bars can be found at WM and are pretty cheap. I love the peanut butter and the cookies and cream (?) so yum! I quit buying them, because I am the same way. The Quest are more expensive and here I have to go to the health food store to find them.
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
The best protein bar is no protein bar. It doesn't fill me up and just makes me want junk. My fav are the power crunch bars which to me are just big wafer cookies! If I wanted to be a piggy I could eat the whole box throughout the day. :-/

I think having a greek yogurt w/a few nuts is a better option.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #11

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
I'm extremely picky about protein bars. I've spent a fortune looking for ones I like and It's come down to Wonder Slim bars in various flavors are pretty good, but my favorite and the only one I really like is the ProtiDiet Wafer bars. They are like a power crunch bar, but actually better and have better nymbers. I have to buy both online. I will eventually finish whatever Wonder Slim bars I have and only buy the Proti bars after that.

All that said, I really only use them when I'm in a pinch. A little piece of cold chicken is more filling than a protein bar.

Take pride in how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go.

CIAC

Last edited by emily1965; 09-21-2012 at 09:57 AM..
emily1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily1965 View Post
I'm extremely picky about protein bars.
Me too! I have certain criteria it must fit before I'll try them as a protein supplement. Otherwise they are just treats or "candy" and are a temporary limited thing.

The Protidiet bars wouldn't pass my criteria. 150 calories and 12 grams of protein doesn't meet my 10/1 ratio. It has to have at least 15 grams for that calorie count. 10 grams of fat (5 saturated!) is too much for me as well. The other numbers look good, but those two are the deal breakers for me.

I'm probably a little pickier due to the differences in surgery type. I wish I could be as selective with the carbs that call to me as well!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #13

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
My criteria is that I have to be able to eat them without gagging and without my jaws aching afterward, they also can't have any little inedible soy nuggest cruchy things in them...then comes worries about sugars and calories.

People raved about the Qwest bars and I absolutely hate them. I have no idea how people actually chew those things down and swallow them.
emily1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily1965 View Post
My criteria is that I have to be able to eat them without gagging and without my jaws aching afterward, they also can't have any little inedible soy nuggest cruchy things in them...then comes worries about sugars and calories.

People raved about the Qwest bars and I absolutely hate them. I have no idea how people actually chew those things down and swallow them.
I couldn't do the Quest Bars either! Mine have to taste good too, but my criteria is reversed. It's absolutely because of the RNY though, sugar and fat are not my friends. I tried a sample Quest bar once. Made me ill. Not sure why, but it did!