Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-surgery/)
-   -   Weight Loss Surgery Vitamins (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-surgery/782149-weight-loss-surgery-vitamins.html)

greenbean 08-31-2012 08:14 AM

Weight Loss Surgery Vitamins

I need help with some quality multi-vitamins. I know I should be taking them but I hate the chewable ones. Heck I need help with other vitamins too. Brands, what type, how much, etc.

I occassionally take the following:

1. Liquid Vitamin B Complex from Vitamin Shoppe
Thiamin 1.5mg
B21.7 mg
Niacin 20mg
B6 2mg
folic acid 400mcg
B12 1000 mcg
Biotin 25mcg
Panothenic Acid 30mg

2. Biotin 1000mcg from Vitamin Shoppe (disolves under tongue)

3. Liquid Vitamin D3 from Vitamin Shoppe 5000 IU

I have some GIANT nasty chewable calvium pills that I cannot stand taking. I also have some centrum chewable adult vitamins which are disgusting too. I would prefer to just have a pill to swallow. BUT I want quality. I feel really run down right now and I know that the vitamins will not hurt me.

Chrissykin 08-31-2012 10:26 AM

I wish I knew what to tell you. I buy mine from my surgeons office. They don't ask us to take anything additional except cq10. Maybe you could ask your surgeon or pcp.

myyellowstang 08-31-2012 11:24 AM

I have lots to say on this, but I need to come back later and do it! :)

LOTS. :)

Chrissykin 08-31-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myyellowstang (Post 15912060)
I have lots to say on this, but I need to come back later and do it! :)

LOTS. :)

Good I can learn something too!

AllisonB 09-01-2012 07:14 AM

I'm also looking forward to Heather's post!

My surgeon has me taking:

Multivitamin with iron, twice a day. I'm currently using chewable Centrum. It's gross.
Calcium (I bought an unflavored powdered calcium that I mix in my shakes or soup, 3x a day)
Iron (once a day, not within 2 hours of calcium)
B12 sublingual (every other day based on the dosage I bought)
D3 once daily

ETA: my surgery was RNY

Hot Tamale 09-01-2012 02:38 PM

Heather knows her stuff...including her vitamins. :)

Savannah 09-01-2012 03:17 PM

. . . . waits for Heather too!

I take twin lab bariatric multi with iron grape chewable I bought from The Vitamin Shoppe. The only reason I changed my multi was I had to add iron
when I had my bloodwork done last time Love the vitamin taste, but hate the
side effect it causes . . . .uhm br problem:cry:
I started out using Vitafusion chewable multi & loved them. Anyway my point was because I take coumadin I didn't want a vitamin with lots of VitK & these
twin lab brand had the least & I looked everywhere. They are very popular in my local store because they got a shipment the day before I bought mine & they only had a few bottles left. I think they are 90 in quantity & just a couple dollars more than my others. My D3 & B-12 are Nature Made from Walgreens when they have 2 fer's
so daily multi
weekly b-12
nightly vit D3

myyellowstang 09-04-2012 07:27 AM

I haven't forgotten about you! I finally had enough time yesterday to sit down and type up a long response and then lost the whole thing when I hit paste instead of copy! :mad:

I will find time today to come back and recreate that post! :)

greenbean 09-04-2012 07:38 AM

Oh no! I lose stuff all the time with the copy/paste thing. Thanks so much for taking the time to type it out.

myyellowstang 09-04-2012 09:20 AM

Okay. So let's try again maybe!

Multis - ASMBS recommends 200% RDA for RNY and 100% RDA for sleeve and band. A mineral is a mineral is a mineral as long as you know what you are looking for and how to read the labels. I use Centrum Silver (the regular is fine too), actually I use the generic Walmart brand. Most store generics are modeled after either Centrum or One-A-Day and will say so on the bottle. As far as quality... you want to look at what's in it and the percentage it contains. If you have something that contains only 75% of most vitamins then you probably want to look for something else. The QUALITY of the contents is the same, but you have to take more QUANTITY to reach your desired percentage. The difference between centrum (or generic) silver and regular is mainly insignificant. It has more Vit D. It has no iron, but that's not an issue because I take extra. More calcium but it's the wrong kind so that's insignificant. Less Vitamin A. More B12 but I can't utilize it so it's insignificant. More Vit K. More Chromium. It has Lutein and Lycopene.

As long as whatever you take gives you 100 or 200% of most vitamins and minerals you are good. Line up all the bottles on the shelf and compare the labels.

Iron. ASMBS recommends 18 mg (36 for RNY) with more if you are menstruating or active). Most multis have iron, but they also have calcium. If it has over 300 mg calcium then you are not absorbing either. Iron needs to be taken 2 hours from calcium or calcium rich food and a half hour from caffeine. Caffeine in coffee has been shown to reduce your body’s ability to absorb nonheme iron by anywhere from 35 percent to 39 percent. It is estimated that for every 150mg of caffeine you excrete 5 mg of iron. Regular OTC iron is the worst for someone. It usually comes in 325mg doses and is easiest to find, making you think you are getting a lot, but most of it is iron salts and is not usable by your body. That's why you get constipation and dark stools with regular OTC iron (ferrous sulfate or fumerate). Carbonyl iron is much better. It is almost all usable iron, no iron salts and usually comes in 60mg doses. Feosol is a good brand (make sure it's Feosol carbonyl, they make 2). It's a little more than regular iron, but is still inexpensive and can be found in most stores. Far better is heme iron which is made from red blood cells. This usually comes in 12mg doses and has the most concentrated usable iron. It's a lot more expensive and not as easily found. I take a combination of carbonyl and heme iron. I take 120mg carbonyl and 12mg heme. For every 30mg of iron take 200mg Vit C to increase absorption. Take together.

Calcium - regardless of your surgery you need 1500-2000 mg a day, taken in 3 doses of not more than 500-600mg each. Calcium citrate is the kind you need to take. The other kinds are not easily absorbed by the body (surgery or not) so are a waste. Pay attention to serving size. The petites you need 9 pills a day, the regulars you'll need 6 to meet the 1500-2000 range. A serving is usually 2 pills (regular sized) for about 600mg. Do not take within 2 hours of iron or an iron rich meal. Take with Vit D to increase absorption.

Vit D - you need a dry pill, not a oil based for RNY. Sleeve you can probably use oil based but you still need D3. Studies have shown that even non-ops don't utilize the D2 very well. D2 is what prescription D is. I take 5000iu D3 with each dose of calcium for a total of 15000 a day.

B12 - RNY needs a sublingual dose. Sleeves do not because you still have the intrinsic factor in your stomach to get this from food, but it doesn't hurt to take it. You excrete the extra, it's not harmful. I take 2500mcg a day.

B Complex is totally optional, but good to take. I take liquid, again because of my stomach. It tastes like @$$.

I take Biotin and a 10 billion live organism probiotic because I want to.

Chewables versus swallowable... there's no difference in quality. You don't absorb MORE because you chew it. It just breaks down faster (barely). There's no difference in quality in a multi or calcium designed for a bariatric vs an OTC brand. The vitamins and minerals all come from the same place... it's the percentage that it contains that matters.

Greenbean, all the other vitamins you are taking will be included in a good complete multi. Centrum regular and centrum silver have all those. (Thiamin, B2, Niacin, B6, folic acid,
B12, Biotin, Panothenic Acid).

greenbean 09-08-2012 08:20 AM

Thank you so much. I am going to change things up based on your recommendations.

Savannah 09-08-2012 11:09 AM

Heather,

great post thanks so much for sharing your vast knowlwdge!!:clap:

chewiegand 09-10-2012 08:33 AM

Heather---thanks so much. I was concerned about the high costs buying special "bariatric" vitamins. Such a crock.

Chrissykin 09-10-2012 09:00 AM

Thanks Heather for all of your great info and wisdom.

AllisonB 09-10-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewiegand (Post 15933204)
Heather---thanks so much. I was concerned about the high costs buying special "bariatric" vitamins. Such a crock.

I need to look into getting some better iron! thanks from me, too.

The paperwork I got from my surgeon (it's a 1.5 inch 3-ring binder!) included several sheets where they showed what buying the required vitamins from different stores cost - and they gave brand names, qty. (bottle size) and everything. They compared like 6 or 8 local stores and a couple of websites. It was very informative.

myyellowstang 09-10-2012 12:31 PM

Regarding iron:

You want to think in terms of elemental iron.

Ferrous gluconate 325 mg is equivalent to 35 mg elemental iron.

Ferrous sulfate - 325 mg is equivalent to 65 mg elemental iron.

Ferrous fumerate - 325 mg is equivalent to 108 mg elemental iron.

Heme matches mg to mg so 12 mg is equivalent to 12 mg elemental iron.

Carbonyl is equivalent mg for mg as well.

Those that have a higher initial mg than the elemental mg have more iron salts and tend to cause more constipation issues. Those with a closer mg to mg ratio have less of the common "iron issues". So you can see, the worst ratio is Ferrous gluconate and the best would be heme or carbonyl.

Chrissykin 10-16-2012 10:09 AM

Bump for Frankie.

awlass 10-16-2012 10:48 AM

i hate taking pills/liquids/whatever... cant i just blend it all up and inject it? >_<

Hazelsmrf 10-16-2012 11:46 AM

I bought the Unjury vitamins for Bypass/Sleeve patients, they were kind of expensive (over 36$ for 3 months worth), now I'm wondering if it's overkill. They're really more for bypass so will I be doing anything bad by using them for sleeve, even though they say it's for both?

Here's what they contain:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...able-label.jpg

The vitamin D is D3
It has very little calcium to not interfere with the iron.

Then I got their calcium chewable:
Calcium citrate: 1200mg
Vitamin D3: 800 IU
Magnesium: 80mg

Phranquie 10-16-2012 12:04 PM

Thanks so much for giving detailed specifics. I am getting my supplies this afternoon!

myyellowstang 12-22-2012 05:30 PM

Bumping.

chewiegand 12-23-2012 06:39 AM

Heather--what type of calcium citrate do you take? I don't like the chewables and I'm probably not going to use them. If I can find something I will take, that would be great.

Jesse 12-23-2012 08:52 AM

After reading through this I am convinced that I need to do a better job with the calcium, even though I do eat a good amount of calcium rich foods. I typically manage 2 a day (citrate, 600 mg w/ D) but I should strive for the third dose. I am still not convinced I need to take 2 multi-vitamins. I take women's one a day. I don't menstruate. I had a sleeve not a by-pass. The reason I resist taking 2 is I can't stomach taking them both at the same time, and timing 3 calcium and 2 vitamins with iron 2 hours apart means I'm usually missing a dose of something because I run out of hours :dunno: Convince me I need to take 2 multis and I'll try harder. :)

myyellowstang 12-23-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewiegand (Post 16149876)
Heather--what type of calcium citrate do you take? I don't like the chewables and I'm probably not going to use them. If I can find something I will take, that would be great.

I started with chewables, then when I ran out of those I went to Citrical Petites and I needed I think 9 of those a day. 3 each dose two hours apart. But then I started using the regular size (store generic - right now it's Walmart). Every once in a blue moon I have an issue swallowing it but that's usually when I try to take them in a hurry.

myyellowstang 12-23-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 16150044)
After reading through this I am convinced that I need to do a better job with the calcium, even though I do eat a good amount of calcium rich foods. I typically manage 2 a day (citrate, 600 mg w/ D) but I should strive for the third dose. I am still not convinced I need to take 2 multi-vitamins. I take women's one a day. I don't menstruate. I had a sleeve not a by-pass. The reason I resist taking 2 is I can't stomach taking them both at the same time, and timing 3 calcium and 2 vitamins with iron 2 hours apart means I'm usually missing a dose of something because I run out of hours :dunno: Convince me I need to take 2 multis and I'll try harder. :)

Nope, the ASMBS recommendation for a sleeve is 100% RDA and if you can find a multi that has that then you only need to take 1. If you take a multi that doesn't have 100% of MOST items in it then you need to take 2.

myyellowstang 12-23-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 16150044)
The reason I resist taking 2 is I can't stomach taking them both at the same time, and timing 3 calcium and 2 vitamins with iron 2 hours apart means I'm usually missing a dose of something because I run out of hours :dunno:

This is how I take mine:

Calcium (300mg) x 2, Vit D (5000 iu) x 1, probiotic x 1

Calcium x 2, Vit D x 1

Calcium x 2, Vit D x 1

Multi, heme iron (12 mg), Vit C (500 mg), Biotin, B12 sublingual

Multi, carbonyl iron with C (62 mg and 500 mg)x 2, stool softeners x3, B-complex sublingual.

2 hours between each one and I'm done by 5ish, although occasionally I do forget the last dose and take it at bedtime.

Hot Tamale 12-23-2012 05:27 PM

I take a good-tasting chewable calcium by a company called opurity...they can be found on the unjury website. I actually love them - they taste like lemon sweet tarts! I often find myself having to not reach for an additional tablet or two...

goldomenso 01-10-2013 10:19 PM

Centrum suplements

I realize that Centrum is the most popular brand for supplements, but please don't be fooled by heavy marketing. They spend more money on advertising than on manufacturing their supplements.

One thing most people don't think about is the absorption rate of their supplements. I'm here to tell you not all supplements are created equal. Most tablets are lousy at absorption by our bodies. We may absorb 10 to 20 % at best of what the label says. The reason is all the additives they put on these supplements. please take your time reading all the ingredients before you decide to put that stuff in your body.

Nurses call these tablets "bedpan bullets" because they go through our bodies mostly undigested! You can even read the print on some of these tablets AFTER they've gone through your body! That tells you how little your body digests them.

They have binders, fillers, coloring, artificial flavors, and on and on. A lot of stuff your body doesn't need. Some Centrum supplements have talcum powder in their ingredients. That's the stuff they used to put on babies' butts to keep them dry. Do you really want that stuff in your body? How is talcum powder inside your body helping your health? I can tell you it's not.

The best way to take your supplements for maximum bioavailability and quick absorption is in liquid form. Ideally as an isotonic drink. Isotonic means the same pressure and tone as our body fluids, like for example our blood plasma and our tears.

The reason it gets absorbed so quickly is because our bodies recognize they are "ready to go", meaning they don't have to be digested because they are already at the ideal concentration for our body tissues to absorb them.

Most of us know that the stomach is the most acidic organ in our bodies. The less time a supplement stays in your stomach, the less it gets degraded by acid, so a rapid absorption guaranteees that most of those percentages we read on the labels will actually be absorbed by our bodies. That's where isotonic has the advantage.

Tablets can take anywhere from 40 minutes to 4 hours or even longer to get past the stomach. An isotonic supplement takes less than 5 minutes to go from the stomach to the intestine for absorption, and it's in our blood stream in less than 10 minutes. The only thing faster than an isotonic supplement is an IV.

To summarize, when we read a supplement label and it says for example "100% vitamin C", it just means that they put that amount per serving, but it doesn't mean your body will absorb all of it. Once again, if it's in a tablet, you might get 10 to 20% of what the label says, and sometimes even less. With an isotonic supplement, our bodies can absorb 90 to 95% of what the label says, which is waaay better.

I hope this long rant clarifies a very critical point for supplements regarding their effectiveness. I welcome your questions and comments.

myyellowstang 03-29-2013 07:22 AM

Bumping for all the newer members!

How is everyone doing with their vitamins lately? Are you getting in what you need?

Mysstwalker 03-29-2013 09:27 AM

If you prefer liquid vitamins, check out Wellesse. If you contact them they will send you a sample pack. Also, Celebrate has a good line, I love the chocolate creamy bites for calcium!