Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Recommendations for high protein low carb shakes?

I'm just starting the journey to get approved for WLS, but in the meantime would like to start eating better for health, and possible weight loss. I would like to use them for breakfast and midmorning snack, premade would probably be best since I'm always sleeping until the last minute. If not premade, something that only requires water and/or milk and shaking.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pescacat
Stats: 332.3/263.7/170
WOE: VSG/Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 19, 2011
I use the Syntrax Nectar protein shakes-whey protein isolate is supposed to be high quality protein. The fuzzy navel flavor (tasted like peach) and the chocolate truffle were the best to me in this brand..and no yucky aftertaste was detectable.... I just added water and the mix in a blender bottle, shook it up and drank it down...you can also add ice cubes or put it in a blender with ice and make a smoothie/slushie consistency that was nice on warmer days

You might want to check out different brands on their websites and look into buying some sample packs-try the various and brands because that was how I found what I liked and didn;t like...some that I thought I'd love were just not palatable to me....and the ready made ones-I tried the clear bottles and the pre-made ones and just couldn't stomach them some people also opt for ensure with high protein but I didn't watch the sugar and carb content and best wishes!

Oh..and I started taking bariatric chewable vitamins about 2 months before my surgery too...felt wonderful, full of energy and had good bloodwork before and after my surgery

Last edited by pescacat; 12-04-2011 at 03:58 PM..
pescacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pescacat View Post
I use the Syntrax Nectar protein shakes-whey protein isolate is supposed to be high quality protein. The fuzzy navel flavor (tasted like peach) and the chocolate truffle were the best to me in this brand..and no yucky aftertaste was detectable.... I just added water and the mix in a blender bottle, shook it up and drank it down...you can also add ice cubes or put it in a blender with ice and make a smoothie/slushie consistency that was nice on warmer days

You might want to check out different brands on their websites and look into buying some sample packs-try the various and brands because that was how I found what I liked and didn;t like...some that I thought I'd love were just not palatable to me....and the ready made ones-I tried the clear bottles and the pre-made ones and just couldn't stomach them some people also opt for ensure with high protein but I didn't watch the sugar and carb content and best wishes!

Oh..and I started taking bariatric chewable vitamins about 2 months before my surgery too...felt wonderful, full of energy and had good bloodwork before and after my surgery
Thanks, I looked on netrition and they do have the sample packs I'll ask about the vitamins at my visit, I figure the healthier I am going into the surgery, the better the recovery.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/155 169.4 VFT!
WOE: Weight loss surgery (VSG) + Low Carb + Exercise
Start Date: 1998; Restart May 2007 @355; WLS March 2010
costo premier protein are great, premade shakes... chocolate and vanilla are both available. I take one, plus a tbsp cream (they are low fat) and starbucks via brew packet, and that is my breakfast every morning yum yum!

30 g protein, 160 cals, low carb
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I love, love, LOVE isopure protein powder for shakes. I like the dutch chocolate and vanilla - I often mix things in with the vanilla like frozen berries or canned pumpkin... I also had cookies and cream once, but, for me, it tasted like cake batter and was actually a bit too sweet for my tastes. 2 scoops of powder is 50g protein - add to 12 oz of milk and you may be up/over 60g protein. I'm not sure if samples are available, but if you can find some, try them!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
I second the Nectar. My faves are Roadside Lemonade and Pink Grapefruit.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #7

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
I second the Nectar. My faves are Roadside Lemonade and Pink Grapefruit.
Do you mix these two flavors with water or something else?
emily1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #8

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Just water and pour over ice. I use 1 1/2 scoops in 6 oz water.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
T-man

Gallery: whitelighter1968
Stats: 350/242/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/04/06
My favorite is Syntrax Nectar Lemon Tea... just with water.... can drink that all day long. I love it.
whitelighter1968 is offline   Reply With Quote