Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CJ:)
Stats: 525/276/220 5'8" (16 lbs left, 40 lbs excess skin)
WOE: VLC and Exercise. (Meat/Egg/Cheesetarian)
Start Date: Dec 2003
I've been kind of quiet on this thread, I didn't feel like talking about my surgery for awhile but I'm ready to now. One of my favorite qoutes is:
"If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or Fight Like Hell." - Lance Armstrong

I had my follow up with my Gyno today because my infection is still there, despite the prescriptions she gave me(luckily it's not a vaginal infection, it's under my belly skin). She is totally awesome, not only did she note the infection back in July of this year, but she had it noted from 2009 as well. She verified that I still have the rash and infection at my visit today and she wrote a letter for my insurance company. No sooner had I left her office and got to my next stop did I get a phone calling saying that the letter was ready to be picked up too. In her letter she stated that I have lost 247 lbs, been plagued by ongoing fungal infections under the excess abdominal skin for the past two years and that the prescriptions only help temporarily and it seems that the infections and rashes will persist until the excess skin is removed.

I ended up going to the ER last week because I my back hurt so much I felt like I was going to throw up and my legs kept going numb all day and it was really bad. So I also got my medical record from my ER visit and the doctor very clearly noted the rash, infection, said I have a huge pannus(that's the excess belly skin) with a severe rash underneath the skin and recurrent infections. He also stated that he believes the leg numbness is caused by the pressure of my pannus on my groin area and legs. Then lists all my vital signs are well within normal range and I was alert and otherwise in good health. So hopefully that combined with the Surgeon's letters and additional pictures will help my case for insurance approval.

I also found out that my Surgeon has an insurance advocate who only works part time but she had already sent an appeal that I didn't know about and she is going to give me a copy of the Surgeons letters and the pictures to submit with my own letter and my other doctors letters and additional pictures with before and after pictures as well. That way it will all be together in one packet. Every doctor who has seen the skin in person when I hold it up and they can see just how much there is, their jaws all dropped and they all agree that it is medically needed and said how much they hate insurance companies and what they put people through.

Anyway for those of you who have gotten approval, can you think of anything that I'm missing or anything else that I should do?
I've lost 249 lbs, lowered my body fat by 36% and lowered my resting heart rate from 110 to 65 beats per minute. I was told that I'd never be able to go to the gym again after an auto accident. I've been back at the gym since Sept. 2009 and completed my first official 5k on 9/25/10. I have PCOS and recently stopped eating Soy.
CJ:) is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #122
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Hi CJ..

I sent ya a PM.. I am sending you copies of all of my letters to help you see what kinds of things that the insurance company needs to get approval.. Make sure you are taking lots of pictures of the rashes hun.. pictures really make an impact.. especially if they are bleeding. Also your personal letter will as well. I will send you mine..

Good luck sweetie!! You will get this taken care of.. I can see a lot of medical people are on your side.. they will help you get approved.. especially your ER visit. It was probably a blessing that you had to go (even though I am so sorry you were in so much pain).. That ER visit is going to have a big impact on the approval process.

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #123
Drama Queen

Gallery: pattysparkle
Stats: 425 estimate/375/ '270' / 180
WOE: RNY 3/11/09 90gm Protein Daily/ Bariatri
Start Date: January 2002-Atkins/ June 2006-Low Carb 2007-8
Hi there,

I am kind of on hold, I was in A-Fib after the surgery and was on meds and Cardio-verted last year, I went to see my Cardiologist last week.....and am back in A-Fib (an irregular heartbeat), they put me back on Coumadin and I could not get clearance from the Cardiologist......bummer, I am so tired carrying all this loose skin, but just trying to take it a day at a time.

I finally realize yes I am down 160 pounds and am a lot smaller...but cannot finish the job at this time.

http://www.usbariatrics.com/
pattysparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Cheri.

Patty, I hope you get to feeling better soon!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #125
Queen of the Planet of Redheads

Gallery: LunaAshling
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~sending positive approval vibes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs, this WILL happen!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
LunaAshling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #127

Still sending you vibes!!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #128
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Hi CJ.. I am sorry but I couldn't find my packet with my letters.. still looking for them.. But I am going to the doctor on Monday and will ask them to make a copy while I am there for me of the one that was really really good.. They said it was in my file.. So I promise you I will be sending you a couple things next week.. Cross my heart!!

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that they will approve you.

cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks guys.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: edens
Stats: 255?(22/24/3x)/217.0(18/20/2x)/147(or 10/12/M-L)
WOE: 1-1 thru 3-7 LC, 3-7 - current, JUDDD+LC
Start Date: 1-1-11
After reading through the entire thread I'm really rooting for you! I hope those idiots will finally approve you. Hang in there, you've done an amazing job with the weight loss. I also want to get the body lift done, but I need to lose more first. I'm around 250 I think (I have been afraid to weigh myself for the past year). I have the apron going on, too, not to mention really bad back rolls and what not. :/ Thank you for sharing your experiences, and I hope you'll get the approvals and/or financing soon!
edens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
I made my first post to this thread 6/12/10. On 2/24/11 I will be going to the hospital for my pre-surgical exam for my surgery scheduled on 2/25/11.I'm pretty nervous but I'm trying not to think about it too much. Initially they will be doing an abdominoplasty and (to quote the Dr."lipoing the hell" out of the rear and middle of my thighs.The fat/skin composition of my thighs was a bit unusual so he has to lipo first the go back later to remove excess skin and tighten muscles.All totaled it will come to a little over 13 grand.I may be deluding myself, but I'm hoping after the first procedure, exercise may eliminate the need for the second procedure. Only time(and heavy squats) will tell.
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #132
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Bonny,
Keep us updated. At some point I will need surgery and would love to hear your experience as you go through it.

Hugs. I will keep you in my thoughts on surgery day.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

I wish you the best of luck!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #134
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
Bonny good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly. How long were you told the healing would take?
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Bonny good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly. How long were you told the healing would take?
Well, I have twelve days off, the Dr said he did not feel comfortable with that, thinking I would need three weeks with possible restrictions for another two. That was impossible. I can juggle my work schedule but there was no way I could miss that much school(I'm one of those nutty non-traditional students; once I could fit in the seats I enrolled).He said school was okay but I can't lift or carry books.
From what I've read, and from contacting people from various boards, I'm pretty confidant with the twelve days of complete r & r, then going by how I feel. I bounced back pretty quickly after open RNY but that was twelve years ago. I've been trying to follow advice about adding a protein shake or two during the day and trying to be better w/vitamins. It's suppose to speed up healing.
Rather than blogging I am really going to try and post daily with honest accounts of how it's really going. I think this stage is pretty new territory for a lot of us. I know I have thought about this for years, the more people started talking about it the more realistic it seemed, and now it's just a few weeks away!Like I said, I'm scared but I'm happy too. Thanks everyone for all of the kind wishes.BL
Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Well, my surgery is Friday. Tomorrow is my pre-admission check up. I don't know exactly how I am going to handle pictures but I plan on taking them throughout. I know for me I was always curious(but never had anyone to ask)about things like swelling, how things looked/felt right after, days later, weeks later. I bought a new memory card for my camera so the only thing on it will be surgery related. Heaven forbid I mix surgery pics with Christmas pics.I want to post them but of course I wish to maintain some annonymity.Should I just do this as a blog? Is anyone really interested in seeing a day by day progress report?
Well, I've got to finish packing, I have to be on the road by 7am tomorrow. Peace out brothers and sisters in Cyberland.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

I think a lot of people would be interested in seeing the progress! A blog is a great idea! All the best to a complication-free procedure and quick and easy recovery!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ENDZONE
Stats: 260/200/199 (1st goal)
WOE: Plain Low Carb
Start Date: 07/05/2008 Restart 04/1/13 approx. 236
Good luck to all. Hoping to one day need surgery.
ENDZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
for your safety and peace of mind

now, on to the next exciting stage of your life

please do share what you are comfortable with cause you know we're all curious, and want to relate your progress to our own stories.

best wishes to you!
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #140

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
yes, interested! thanks for considering doing that, let us know if you do
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck with your surgery Bonny!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnyLass View Post
Well, my surgery is Friday. Tomorrow is my pre-admission check up. I don't know exactly how I am going to handle pictures but I plan on taking them throughout. I know for me I was always curious(but never had anyone to ask)about things like swelling, how things looked/felt right after, days later, weeks later. I bought a new memory card for my camera so the only thing on it will be surgery related. Heaven forbid I mix surgery pics with Christmas pics.I want to post them but of course I wish to maintain some annonymity.Should I just do this as a blog? Is anyone really interested in seeing a day by day progress report?
Well, I've got to finish packing, I have to be on the road by 7am tomorrow. Peace out brothers and sisters in Cyberland.
Good luck and yes a blog is a good idea, I think many people will be interested in seeing the progress.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #143

Hope everything went well Bonny!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Oh I love that signature and it's so true! It took me a long time to ween myself off of white bread, now I will not eat anything other than wheat or whole grain bread when I do eat bread.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
Oh I love that signature and it's so true! It took me a long time to ween myself off of white bread, now I will not eat anything other than wheat or whole grain bread when I do eat bread.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
Quote:
Hi bonny, how are things coming along?
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

I'm backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk! 10 days later. Remarkably little pain, more discomfort than anything else, in fact I find it hard to believe, I wonder what it will look like as I don't feel any different. In fact,haven't lost any weight, still 150. How can you suck out, cut out and drain out parts of your body and still weigh the same? I still have two drains in that come out on Friday. If it weren't for the drains I feel fine enough to work, in fact I went to class today. Moved a little slower but other than that, no problems. Will try and post some pics tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
Oh, your excitement is just jumping off the page! It is wonderful to hear that you are doing well

now...details, please, lady
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #149

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
I'm backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk! 10 days later. Remarkably little pain, more discomfort than anything else, in fact I find it hard to believe, I wonder what it will look like as I don't feel any different. In fact,haven't lost any weight, still 150. How can you suck out, cut out and drain out parts of your body and still weigh the same? I still have two drains in that come out on Friday. If it weren't for the drains I feel fine enough to work, in fact I went to class today. Moved a little slower but other than that, no problems. Will try and post some pics tomorrow.
congrats! thanks for sharing your experience, i am scheduling a consultation for end of march and i'm scarrrrrred even though surgery is not even scheduled.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: priori
Start Date: 1/15/13
I just read through this, and hope you ended up getting some good news CJ.
priori is offline   Reply With Quote