Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #1171
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Glad to hear everything turned out alright.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #1172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
All of you ladies are awesome!! A whole lot of courage.....which I don't have. Do you feel that the scars are less of a burden than looking at the excess skin? Going thru menopause now, I'm wondering how much more of a melted candle appearance I will have, after dropping 235 pounds!!
Congrats and I find your stories inspiring! Isn't it great that kevinpa's daughter was reunited with our group?? So cool!! 8))
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #1173
Blabbermouth!!!

The scar where I had the pnniculectomy has faded. It is the scar from my battle with morbid obesity. I never want to return there even a little bit. The way clothes fit was worth it. I want to get the arms and upper body done next year. The worst of the pain is the first week. Then it starts getting better. So grateful I had it done.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #1174
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/177 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Heidi--you sound so wonderful and upbeat-not what I was expecting at all--so very glad you are doing well--whew--prayers answered--thanks for letting us know how you were doing!--will be glad when you are able to share more!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #1175
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Welcome ChristiRose & congrats on your losses! I'm not sure of your situation, but my insurance did cover a panniculectomy...at 75%. I'd check the fine print of the tri-care stuff... Also, I financed a lot of my surgeries through care credit. You have 18 mos interest free, I think, to pay things off. I've done that and, for every major gift-giving event (birthdays, Christmas...) asked people who might give me gifts (family, not just anyone!) to "sponsor" a little bit of my surgery! LOL Whatever works, right?

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 05-11-2013 at 08:55 AM..
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #1176
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harriet View Post
All of you ladies are awesome!! A whole lot of courage.....which I don't have. Do you feel that the scars are less of a burden than looking at the excess skin? Going thru menopause now, I'm wondering how much more of a melted candle appearance I will have, after dropping 235 pounds!!
Congrats and I find your stories inspiring! Isn't it great that kevinpa's daughter was reunited with our group?? So cool!! 8))
My scars are extensive...and I have keolid tissue, so they are even thicker and darker than many people's. Still, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Having my 17-pound pannus removed - even if I had just that surgery - has changed my life so completely I cannot even tell you... While I wish the scars were not so obvious (also I'm very fair-skinned), they serve as a constant reminder of where I came from, how hard I worked to get where I am, and how hard I will always have to work to stay this way. I'm good with all of that. While many people might think I'm "brave" or more brave than many people, I don't think that. I just do what I set out to do. If you want this, then do it! Don't be afraid. Do what you need to do to be the person you want to be - inside and out.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 05-11-2013 at 08:56 AM..
Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #1177
Blabbermouth!!!

PS: I know a few of you are waiting to see my before and after pics. Maryposa has been kind enough to double-check what I have and help me with appropriate pics. I hope to post some appropriate ones for everyone pretty soon. In the meantime, if you just need to see (and aren't easily offended by a little skin...) you can PM me your email and I will send you what I currently have.

As a short update: I am doing very well from my last procedure, the short-version thigh lift whichI had on 12/27/12. At that time my doc also "adjusted" my breast lift, opening up the bottom area about 8" to help with projection and fullness (I didn't have implants). It has healed kinda painfully, however, and I suspect she will have to release a bit of that tension this summer. Also, we are looking at a tiny bit of lipo right above the new belly button she made me from my panniculectomy - it is pretty puffy. She will do all this in her office at no cost to me. And, while I am always hesitant to get more stuff done, this will be minor and hopefully the very last step on my plastic surgery journey.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #1178
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidi
Stats: Start: 315lbs/ Current: 160lbs
Ok today not as great. My thighs are swelling now so it's uncomfortable to stand or sit, plus my stitches are starting to itch and pull! My back is killing me as they want me to sleep on my back for at least a week ina 30 degree angle (I'm a side sleeper). I haven't taken any pain meds since last night at 2a.m. though. I've been taking an antibiotic 4x daily along with multivitamin, zinc and stool softeners, so with the pain meds it's getting to be a bit much on the tummy and head!!

However, still bearable!! Thank all that's holy that my mom is here to help me and help with my 4 year ld (who is also being very understanding through all this, even though I can tell she's missing me picking her up and home).

I only have one drain. I removed total 97cc's last night, but will onlybe about 65 tonight I think! My appointment is Tuesday afternoon I hope it gets removed by then!

Dirty harriet-- I thought long and hard about that before getting this done, but I feel they will fade after a year+ and I know I'll be much happier with how clothes fit!

Hot tamale-- Glad to hear you're healing well! I can't wait to see my navel! I have no idea where it's even at yet at this point LOL!

Question about swelling.. how long did yours last?? My gosh I can feel the difference in my spanx/girdle just the last 24 hrs! The heat too!! My new mantra is "It'll all be worth it...it'll allbe worth it!" :P
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #1179
Blabbermouth!!!

Heidi - It is all worth it, but you do have to keep your eyes on the prize! I had drains in for my tummy - one for about 4 days but the other was about 2 weeks...which is unusual. I will tell you what someone told me about the pain meds - don't be a hero! If you need them, take them, to get some rest if nothing else. But do take the stool softeners - the max does they tell you to- especially while on pain meds cause they slow everything down. Everyone is different with swelling, but I'd say I had significant swelling for at least three weeks, then it went down pretty quickly. The sleeping was hard for me, too, cause I'm also a side sleeper. I had a lift/adjustable chair which was pretty good, but eventually ended up on a loveseat with lots of pillows under my knees. I still sometimes sleep like that (with pillows under my knees) in bed. One more thing - I'm not sure how bad your pannus was, but mine was horrid. When she first took off the bandages I didn't notice where my navel was. I went home and halfway there realized I didn't see it - I thought she forgot it (I was on pain meds...lol)! Then I looked and it was about 4 or 5" higher than I ever expected it to be! I saw her a few days later and even asked her about it. She said, "Hun, it is supposed to be there!" She was right - it is right where it needs to be. I'm sure yours is, too!

Chin up - I always told myself, "three months from now all this will be a fading memory..." I was always right.

PS: My kids had always known me super heavy. Once I had the tummy fixed my son would lay on me/snuggle up against me - to watch tv or something. One of the first times he did this after my surgery he said, "Mommy, you're really not too good a pillow anymore." Nope...I'm not, thank goodness!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 05-11-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #1180

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I still swell on and off and I am 5 months out! I think it was last month that I noticed I don't swell nearly as much nor as often.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #1181
Blabbermouth!!!

I had my panniculectomy in 2006. They took 6 lbs. The first week was a bear. Two drains were in for 2 weeks. But I had this really cute young male nurse checking up on me very other day. Why not? It was offered by the hospital!

It was the strangest feeling for the longest while. In 2008, I gained 5 lbs, then 5 more in 2009, then 10 more in 2011, then 50 more in 2011. It was very painful around the navel, stretching. I realized once you have the plastic surgery surgery, you don't want to get back into the food. It hurts. So I got back onto my program and haven't looked back. I follow it very closely because I don't want to take any more risks like that.

Now I know if I gain now, there woukd be even more problems because I used to gain in my face and it would make me look like a freak if I gained in some parts and not in others after the most recent face lift. When you have the surgery, please know it has to be part of the big picture of permnently keeping off the weight. If the changes aren't thoroughly imbedded in our lifestyle, there will be trouble ahead after the surgery. I think that is why they want you to wait at least a year or two after losing the weight to know that this is the real deal.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #1182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
HT: I know I would have keloids as I am also fair and have one at my band insertion site. I'm so glad to hear that you are happy to have had this done, which seems to be the consensus with everyone. I think I need more psych work as my body will never be the size 4 that I want, and no plastic surgery will ever correct my mental image. 8)) need brain transplant instead.....LMAO!!
That being said, did the plastic surgeon project on a computer what he thought you would look like afterward? how close did his projection/your image of yourself come to this? I don't know anyone who has had plastic surgery....thanks so much for the info!!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #1183
Blabbermouth!!!

No projections, but he told me ahead that it would look normal but that under the chin, there might still be a little exta because there was so much skin to place. It is as he described.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #1184
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
[B]PS: My kids had always known me super heavy. Once I had the tummy fixed my son would lay on me/snuggle up against me - to watch tv or something. One of the first times he did this after my surgery he said, "Mommy, you're really not too good a pillow anymore." Nope...I'm not, thank goodness!
__
[/B

wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #1185
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harriet View Post
. I think I need more psych work as my body will never be the size 4 that I want, and no plastic surgery will ever correct my mental image. 8)) need brain transplant instead.....LMAO!!
Sooo true! I will always find flaws... so I need to learn to accept my body for how it is, and remind myself over and over how far I've come!

By rights I should have a complete lower bodylift, but I'm not interested. I don't think I'm that bad, and I would not like being out of commission for another several weeks with my young daughter. She's been really missing me picking her up.

My parents drove me home yesterday to check on the house, and my dad mowed the lawn etc. While there I was picking up more clothes and found my size 28 jeans I saved. My mom and I called my daughter over and she couldn't believe it! I could literally stand in one side of the pant legs!!

Also yesterday, went for my post 1 week checkup. She still couldn't remove the drain (she's thinking Friday), but she did remove staples from my belly as she has disolveable stitches on the inside. I got a bit of a nasty rash from bandages and multiple layers of girdles lol, so she said I can air that out for a few hours a day, then put girdle back on. She said my thigh stitches stay in a month (the higher up ones by my pubic area will come out Friday though). I was quite shocked with that. Another gal I know that had her thighs done by same surgeon said she used staples, so maybe these are a new thing?

When I got back, I had a real good look, and am overall very pleased with her work. My left hip appears to have a "dog ear" thing going on, but there is still some bumps and swelling going on, so I'm not judging too harshly yet I think you have to wait a year don't you for any touch ups? I'm not going to take after pics until the drains are out.

Pain wise no need for pain killers any more, and if I do Advil will be enough! The "burning" I was experiencing before was actually the rash, and NOT pain from surgery! When she pulled them off she said "you poor thing!!". She wonders too if the small leakage from my drain the first day didn't seep into bandages and cause it!

Last edited by Heidi; 05-15-2013 at 07:26 AM..
Old 05-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #1186
Senior LCF Member

Question regarding girdles.
I'm not liking the one for my abdomen compression garment that I received from the hospital. Every time I sit down or roll over in bed it hikes up! Would the girdles with the control top be just as effective? At least with that one it would stay put!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
I'm not liking the one for my abdomen compression garment that I received from the hospital. Every time I sit down or roll over in bed it hikes up! Would the girdles with the control top be just as effective? At least with that one it would stay put!
I would not change it out until you can ask your surgeon... the one I used was a Velcro one and it stayed put pretty well!!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #1188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
I bought SEVERAL of the compression undergarments from TJMaxx and Marshalls that went from under my boobs to my knees and they were very good at compression and they were comfortable. I actually wore all my compression for about six months --- day and night. I think they really even help with shaping things up.
clmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #1189
Senior LCF Member

Maryposa, the velcro one is the one I have as well, but yeah, it hikes up on me (which isn't effective as some of my cut starts showing when it does ride).

clmoore, I am definitely going to buy a couple of compression undergarments to keep wearing as well

My next appointments is Monday, so I will ask her then if I can transition from hospital garment to store bought.

Now... I'm also going to talk to her about scar treatment cream/gel. I've been reading on the net that the ones with silicone are best. There's one that you can buy here over the pharmacy counter-- 60$ for a small tube. I see other silicone ones on the shelves for 13$-20$. My mom used the 60$ one after her breast reduction, but used the Vitamen E/Aloe treatment for her tummy. She said her tummy scars are less visible than her breast scars! I don't want to skimp on this cream, but paying an extra 40$ for nothing would be irritating!

Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #1190
Blabbermouth!!!

How long do you use the cream gel? Please share the brand name and type of the one you get. I want to get one for my chin.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #1191
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
How long do you use the cream gel? Please share the brand name and type of the one you get. I want to get one for my chin.
I think it's for 3-6 months, but not 100% sure on that. I will let you know which one I go with! Not buying any yet, as it's still a bit too early, and I'm going to talk with my PS about which one she recommends.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #1192
Senior LCF Member

Question for gals that had their thighs done.
It seems I'm getting more swelling now than at the beginning, and my right labia is swollen too!! Like twice the size of the other one! :S Please tell me this is normal! LOL
Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #1193

Quote:
Question for gals that had their thighs done.
It seems I'm getting more swelling now than at the beginning, and my right labia is swollen too!! Like twice the size of the other one! :S Please tell me this is normal! LOL
Haha happened to me too. Don't worry too much. But, I am still a bit asymmetrical.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #1194
Blabbermouth!!!

Me too. Give it all some time to figure itself out (I know, very medical, aren't I?). I am not symmetrical and will most likely have a little area "tacked up," as my doc called it this summer. I'd say it seems common to have the symptoms you've described, but be sure to tell you doc about it - maybe consider calling the office to tell him what's going on...
Old 05-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #1195
Senior LCF Member

Well glad to know it's normal. I thought of calling yesterday, but I shied away. I just called her the other day about swelling around knee area (it was larger and round so I thought possible seroma). She said it was normal and as long as it didn't get red or infected (fever and such), that she would see me at next appointment (Monday 27th). I figure it can wait another couple of days. Well it's the weekend now anyhow so I can't get hold of her if I really wanted to! lol

I was talking to her last time about touch ups. I guess she doesn't do them in her office. She won't charge for any post touch ups, but I have to pay for the hospital 'clinic room' (which is around 240$!) The hell? Seems every one I know said their PS did it in their office if it was something that was fairly mild... Anyhow... if that's the case I'll be making sure I do any and all touch ups at once! :S

Last edited by Heidi; 05-24-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Old 05-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #1196
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Heidi glad to see you are getting through this it sounds like you are doing pretty darn good!!!!!!!! You are going to look fabulous!!!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #1197
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Heidi glad to see you are getting through this it sounds like you are doing pretty darn good!!!!!!!! You are going to look fabulous!!!!!
Thanks! I'm still soooooo swollen/lumpy though! My appointment was yesterday and she seemed very pleased and told me "You're not supposed to look yet!!" as there was still lumps here and there lol. She is saying that the spot on my left hip that I thought was a dog ear is not a dog ear (I actually have a tiny one on my other hip which I don't find bad) but just swelling, and will go down. If not she said she will fix it up for me.

I got my thigh (and final) stitches removed as well, which is nice!

I also had a pocket of fluid at the very end of my thigh cut (above inner knee area) on my right leg, which has been flaring up and hurting. She drained that and it felt soooooo much better. She said it could come back, but they will go away on their own (as long as there's no infection).

Regarding the creams/gels; she recommends Bio-Oil. She said the super expensive ones over the counter are a sham. The main thing you need to be doing is massaging and moisturizing the scar area to encourage new tissue cells. She's met other PSs that said Vaseline would do the same thing if massaged in a few times a day. But yeah, overall her patients seem to see best results with the Bio Oil (which is a relief because it's much cheaper lol). She said Vitamen E is great too as long as you don't have any allergic reactions.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #1198
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I like bio oil it smells good I agree the expensive creams are a waste. Coconut oil works great as well. It will take a good 4-5 months to heal so be patient. My problem a year out is my pubic area is really puffy that needs fixed and dog ears on my arms
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #1199
Blabbermouth!!!

I need to get some Bio-oil. I go to see my surgeon today to have a check-up and see what needs to get fixed up... My final "tweaking" will come in the next few weeks...

PS Ladies: I finally bought a bikini, so I can take some pics and actually post them in here. Just need to block out some time to do that.

Heidi - I know its hard not to want to see your end results right away, but it really does take a couple months. Try to be patient - I'm sure you'll be pleased!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #1200
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I need to get some Bio-oil. I go to see my surgeon today to have a check-up and see what needs to get fixed up... My final "tweaking" will come in the next few weeks...

PS Ladies: I finally bought a bikini, so I can take some pics and actually post them in here. Just need to block out some time to do that.

Heidi - I know its hard not to want to see your end results right away, but it really does take a couple months. Try to be patient - I'm sure you'll be pleased!

:u p:
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote