Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #961
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,498
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
here's what i've been going through, i know it is long, but hey, i hope all this detail it will help someone be prepared for the huge surgery that is reconstructive surgery post massive weight loss

Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #962
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,498
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
i'll try to post pics soon!!
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #963
Blabbermouth!!!
 
wastednuffime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Here!!
Posts: 5,145
Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Mary,..

I have no words!!! I am actually sitting here all teared up!!

THANK YOU,..THANK YOU,..THANK YOU....

For posting and sharing this!!!! My PS journey has not yet begun, but just viewing this and following you on YouTube, I am way MORE at ease with things!!

A very speedy recovery is in process for you!!, And...You are BEAUTIFUL, both inside and out!!!


wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #964
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Hot Tamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chaos Ave. & Stress Blvd.
Posts: 5,968
Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Hi Everyone & happy holidays. Thigh lift surgery tomorrow; please wish me luck, or, better yet, if you are a prayerful person, please say one for me. I've heard its not pleasant, and I'm somewhat prepared, but who is ever really prepared for this stuff... I'll post in a few days.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #965
Major LCF Poster!
 
clmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,344
Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Hi Everyone & happy holidays. Thigh lift surgery tomorrow; please wish me luck, or, better yet, if you are a prayerful person, please say one for me. I've heard its not pleasant, and I'm somewhat prepared, but who is ever really prepared for this stuff... I'll post in a few days.
Best wishes and prayers to you, HT! You'll do great. It took me about two weeks of discomfort and then it was so much better.

Did you get you a pee - funnel or whatever they are called? That is one thing I would do over.
clmoore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #966
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,498
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmoore View Post
Best wishes and prayers to you, HT! You'll do great. It took me about two weeks of discomfort and then it was so much better.

Did you get you a pee - funnel or whatever they are called? That is one thing I would do over.
i wanted to get one but didn't... instead i used one of those kidney shaped medical containers i hold it between my legs, sit and pee... lol it does the job as far as keeping the drains and bandages and stuff dry and clean.
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #967
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,498
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
ht i wrote you about the thighs on the other thread. for me they were not so bad. the worst part was drains. the bandages are challenging but not painful. i had a non narcotic pain pump for numbing, that may be why. if you can, request one. mine was an extra 250 and totally worth it (I assume lol)

Last edited by Maryposa; 12-26-2012 at 01:39 PM..
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #968
Major LCF Poster!
 
clmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,344
Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
i wanted to get one but didn't... instead i used one of those kidney shaped medical containers i hold it between my legs, sit and pee... lol it does the job as far as keeping the drains and bandages and stuff dry and clean.
That was a great idea. I could not pull my compression garments down and was trying to pee through the crotch opening and kinda straddling the toilet and not sitting down. It was a joke! I should have tried one of your pans you mentioned or gotten a funnel.

Good luck, HT!
clmoore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #969
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,498
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmoore View Post
That was a great idea. I could not pull my compression garments down and was trying to pee through the crotch opening and kinda straddling the toilet and not sitting down. It was a joke! I should have tried one of your pans you mentioned or gotten a funnel.

Good luck, HT!
fortunately my compression is thigh high TED stockings for the legs, and a velcro binder for my lower body lift... when I had other things done they put me in one of those knee-to-underbust ones and ya, peeing through it was difficult... so I cut a bigger hole lol
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #970
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Hot Tamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chaos Ave. & Stress Blvd.
Posts: 5,968
Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I didn't get an "official" funnel, but I do have one. Hopefully it will work.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll talk to you all soon!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #971
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bejewelme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading/PA
Posts: 13,555
Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Good luck HT, I will pray for you- you are going to be fine and loving your thighs! mary hope you are feeling better!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #972
Major LCF Poster!
 
Izzysdream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,254
Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Hi Everyone & happy holidays. Thigh lift surgery tomorrow; please wish me luck, or, better yet, if you are a prayerful person, please say one for me. I've heard its not pleasant, and I'm somewhat prepared, but who is ever really prepared for this stuff... I'll post in a few days.
Sending lots of prayers!

Last edited by Izzysdream; 12-27-2012 at 09:56 AM..
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #973
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Hot Tamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chaos Ave. & Stress Blvd.
Posts: 5,968
Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Hi Everyone, Just a quick update... I am doing okay. It is more uncomfortable than painful...then again, I do take my pain meds religiously! I don't know what I think about everything right now. I know I am swollen and things look kinda ugly right now. I took a shower this morning and I'm trying to walk every so often. More later - the pain meds are making me sleepy. Thanks for all your prayers!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #974
Major LCF Poster!
 
clmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,344
Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Hi, HT!

Yes, mine was more discomfort and misery for a couple of weeks, than actual pain! Hang in there. It will get better and better. Things will also start looking not so scary!

Yay!
clmoore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #975
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Hot Tamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chaos Ave. & Stress Blvd.
Posts: 5,968
Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Mine is too...more discomfort and numbness right now than pain. I gotta admit, the swelling and the way things look is bumming me out. I can only hope in a month or two things look a lot better. I am walking pretty frequently and doing a lot of things on my own. I must admit I do look forward to the naps I take whenever a pain pill kicks in. I only take about 4 a day and I believe I'll start tapering those off in a day or two. I do have a little area that is a little drippy, but it is tapering off, too. All in all, not as painful as I had anticipated but very uncomfortable. More as I go along...
__________________
The big question is: How badly do you want this!?!
"If it was easy everybody would be doing it." --Me!
“All that we are is the result of what we have thought...What we think we become.” Buddha
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #976
Senior LCF Member
 
Heidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 75
Gallery: Heidi
Stats: Start: 315lbs/ Current: 160lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Mine is too...more discomfort and numbness right now than pain. I gotta admit, the swelling and the way things look is bumming me out. I can only hope in a month or two things look a lot better. I am walking pretty frequently and doing a lot of things on my own. I must admit I do look forward to the naps I take whenever a pain pill kicks in. I only take about 4 a day and I believe I'll start tapering those off in a day or two. I do have a little area that is a little drippy, but it is tapering off, too. All in all, not as painful as I had anticipated but very uncomfortable. More as I go along...
Glad to hear things are going pretty good! I hope I'm as lucky!
From what I've read and pics I've seen, yes, the immediate after is almost like "WHY did I do this??" lol but it looks soooo much better in such a short time. I'm positive yours will too

Happy holidays everyone!
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #977
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,498
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
calling bejewelme (or anyone else with experience with seromas)!! Today is 4 weeks since surgery and the drain which was always most active is still in and going strong (30cc yesterday, 38cc the two days before that). The output is oily (surgeon said there's fat in there), pink/red, and not clear. He said it didnt smell infected and i don't have a fever and before i told him the output he wanted to take the drain out and put me on antibiotics. when i told him how much it's draining he left it in and put me on antibiotics. My fear is that after all this time my body is not going to stop draining, what's going to keep it from building up fluid after he removes the drain?? He wants to remove it weds regardless of output. I am so scared of a seroma and going through what you went through. when was your last drain out? were any of them more active than the rest? were you still producing allot of fluid into the drain when it was removed?
__________________


10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 AM   #978
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bejewelme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading/PA
Posts: 13,555
Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
HT- Glad you are doing OK!!! It will get better!!!!

Mary- my drains were always yellow toward the end, what I had was not a seroma but a lymphocele, I had my drains in for 28 days and yes the left side was putting out more than the right! Leave them in as long as needed!!! The problem is infection can occur sometimes so maybe he is worried about that. He can always reinsert it later if needed. I had that last surgery and now the lymphocele is back!! I am going to have to go back! My lymph duct was disrupted somewhere he thought he got it all but apparently something is still running in there, see the doc and see what he says, dont mess around! Normally the fluid is reaborbed into your system.
__________________
http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/wB47MwP/weight.png
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:32 AM   #979
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,498
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
thanks for the response
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #980
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Hot Tamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chaos Ave. & Stress Blvd.
Posts: 5,968
Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
When I had my tummy tuck I had drains that wouldn't quit for a while. My doc left one in for 2 weeks and it was always right under the limit she had to take them out. It drove me nuts! Mine also had all kinds of material in them... I wouldn't worry - keep them in as long as you need and when they do come out chances are your body will absorb the fluid naturally - mine did. Try to stay calm and positive!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #981
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,498
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
When I had my tummy tuck I had drains that wouldn't quit for a while. My doc left one in for 2 weeks and it was always right under the limit she had to take them out. It drove me nuts! Mine also had all kinds of material in them... I wouldn't worry - keep them in as long as you need and when they do come out chances are your body will absorb the fluid naturally - mine did. Try to stay calm and positive!
thanks HT
you
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #982
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Hot Tamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chaos Ave. & Stress Blvd.
Posts: 5,968
Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
You're welcome, Mary & you, too! Btw, I meant the drain was always just OVER the amount she wanted to see in order to remove it. I think it was 60mls/day...


I had my thigh lift surgery on Thursday, I can tell everyone I already feel quite a bit better. My thighs are swollen and the incisions are ugly still, but I already have a lot more energy and moving around isn't as painful as I expected it might still be. Going to the bathroom isn't pleasant, but it isn't outrageously bad, either. One thing I thought was odd is my doctor did not put me in an undergarment... I will give it another day or two and then I will wear one on my own because I think it will make me feel better. I am currently wearing depends as a covering/bandage combo (only - not using them for anything else!) and I take time to make sure all the incisions are clean and attended to after each bathroom visit.


Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year! Thanks for all your advice and for listening to me. All the best to all of you in 2013!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 12-31-2012 at 07:32 PM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #983
Major LCF Poster!
 
Izzysdream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,254
Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
You're welcome, Mary & you, too! Btw, I meant the drain was always just OVER the amount she wanted to see in order to remove it. I think it was 60mls/day...


I had my thigh lift surgery on Thursday, I can tell everyone I already feel quite a bit better. My thighs are swollen and the incisions are ugly still, but I already have a lot more energy and moving around isn't as painful as I expected it might still be. Going to the bathroom isn't pleasant, but it isn't outrageously bad, either. One thing I thought was odd is my doctor did not put me in an undergarment... I will give it another day or two and then I will wear one on my own because I think it will make me feel better. I am currently wearing depends as a covering/bandage combo (only - not using them for anything else!) and I take time to make sure all the incisions are clean and attended to after each bathroom visit.


Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year! Thanks for all your advice and for listening to me. All the best to all of you in 2013!
So glad you are feeling better than you expected! Sending cyber hugs your way! Do you have any help?
Happy New Years wishes to everyone!
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #984
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,498
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
My last drain pretty suddenly slowed down and then last night it stopped almost completely, right in time for my appointment! The drain came out and it didn't even hurt. I know most say it doesn't hurt but believe me, I have had some that hurt like a mofo coming out.

The bad news is, an area that always looked kinda upset opened and that is leaking allot. My surgeon cut away some dead skin and it did not hurt either.

I had to look away for both the drain removal and the skin cutting

But just being able to wear underwear and walk and get up without worrying about the darn drain at the side of my crotch makes me feel brand new lol

Last edited by Maryposa; 01-02-2013 at 06:26 PM..
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #985
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,498
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
PS... now that I can wear undies, I can take pictures! I have pictures but I still hadn't Photoshopped undies on them lol

Oh, and I was supposed to go back to work today but I am not quite ready... Dr wants me out of the office for two more weeks.
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #986
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Bejewelme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading/PA
Posts: 13,555
Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Yeah for no drains, they are the worst!!!! Best to stay off work cause if you go back and you are beat then it is hard to say I need time, so best to rest!!!! Glad you are feeling better!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #987
Moderator
 
Maryposa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,498
Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
All my excess skin is gone!!

Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #988
Senior LCF Member
 
Dirty Harriet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 340
Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Congrats everyone. I have lost 235 pounds with a lap band. I have issues with loose skin but I will not have any plastic surgery. So far, I have no complications....I would like to look better but am afraid at age 54 the complications with extensive anesthesia and trauma to the body after surgery, such as scarring.
All of you look gr8 and I wish that insurance would pay for the reconstruction, but it is the way it is. Glad to know names of good surgeons in case I change my mind!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #989
Senior LCF Member
 
Dirty Harriet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 340
Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Add pic full length
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #990
Major LCF Poster!
 
clmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,344
Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harriet View Post
Congrats everyone. I have lost 235 pounds with a lap band. I have issues with loose skin but I will not have any plastic surgery. So far, I have no complications....I would like to look better but am afraid at age 54 the complications with extensive anesthesia and trauma to the body after surgery, such as scarring.
All of you look gr8 and I wish that insurance would pay for the reconstruction, but it is the way it is. Glad to know names of good surgeons in case I change my mind!
Congratulations on your great weight loss! I'm 57 and had my first plastic surgery at 55. You are young!!
clmoore is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.