Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #901
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I go to him tonight so we will see what his thought of the day is!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #902

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I just got a call from my surgeon's office... the insurance approved the panniculectomy portion of my procedures! YAY! Surgery is Dec 3rd... 6 weeks from now.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #903

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/138/130-135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I just got a call from my surgeon's office... the insurance approved the panniculectomy portion of my procedures! YAY! Surgery is Dec 3rd... 6 weeks from now.
How lucky for you. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!.
Cruzcrzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #904
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
Quote:
Wonderful news!!!!
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #905
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Congrats!
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #906
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I'm super happy for you, Mary! My TT was absolutely life-changing - and having it covered is the icing on the cake! Congrats!!!
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #907

Yeah!!!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #908

Thanks, Gals! Less than 6 weeks to go... I do need to get funding still! I am also moving soon! So much going on. Thank God I am moving to a downstairs place... from what I hear, stairs are quite literally a pain after a lower body lift.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #909
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
Excellent! So what kind of documentation did you have to provide to the insurance company to get them to agree to cover?
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #910

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
Excellent! So what kind of documentation did you have to provide to the insurance company to get them to agree to cover?
A year ago when I was meeting with my Surgeon, he pulled my "pannus" up fairly hard in order to show me how the outer thigh is also somewhat lifted and smoothed with the lower body lift, and the skin actually tore.... he called it an ulceration and took pictures of it to document it. I also had gotten special antipersperant and powders prescribed by my GP. The pictures also show that the pannus covers my pubis.

Each insurance might have different requirements. I posted mine a few pages back.

Here's the requirements I found for my insurance online and my notes to my surgeon's office could include the relevent information.

Panniculectomy is considered medically necessary for the individual who meets the following criteria:

- The panniculus hangs below the level of the pubis (photographs); AND

- The individual has achieved significant weight loss and reached a body mass index (BMI) less than or equal to 30 kg/m2 (average weight for the past year and a half equals 179.0 @ 5’6” = 28.9),

as well as the following:

- the individual has maintained a stable weight for at least six months (see above); AND

- if the individual has had bariatric surgery, he/she is at least 18 months post operative (surgery May 17th 2010); AND

One of the following:

o there are recurrent or chronic rashes, infections, cellulitis, or non-healing ulcers, that do not respond to conventional treatment for a period of 3 months (Dr. Agha took a photo of “ulceration”; I have had several prescriptions, do you still have the ones from the arms on file? They are the same medicines but I use them under the “fold”); information must be documented in office visit records; OR

o there is difficulty with ambulation and interference with the activities of daily living; information must be documented in office visit records. I have had minor issues in my dance classes but have not had them documented.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey

Last edited by Maryposa; 10-24-2012 at 06:50 PM..
Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #911

PS... if with the information above I had been denied, I would have obtained more detailed medical records from my GP instead of just "notes and photos". I also would have written a breif letter stating that my excess skin and dermatological issues it causes impact activities of daily living

A surgeon at the OH conference in 2010 told me that those are the magic words "interferes with activities of daily living".
Old 10-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #912
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidi
Stats: Start: 315lbs/ Current: 160lbs
That's great Mary!

How did it go HT??
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #913
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Heidi - I guess I need to read back...I am doing good. I had my tummy tuck (panniculectomy) on 7/9 and I am doing very well now. I still feel very tight - especially after I walk/jog. I don't sleep on my stomach, but I never really did, so it isn't a problem. I have never been able to wear shirts tucked in or wear belts with any degree of comfort. I was always so horrified when I had to do it (think back to like band outfits in high school, etc...). Well, now I own 2 belts and I recently bought 3 pair of jeans. I tuck shirts in and I bought matching bras and panties at Victoria's Secret a while back. I can still barely believe this is me now. I haven't lost a pound in about 3 or 4 months, and I do go back and forth about 3 pounds, but I consider that normal.

My thigh surgery is scheduled for 12/27. Some people get clothes or cookware for Christmas. I will get my thighs fixed! I have heard this surgery is a beast, so I am mentally preparing for it. I already had about ten days off after it, but I have talked with my boss and told her it looks like I will need one more week on top of that. I know from experience that you should not try to rush back to work. It can really prolong your recovery.

For those of you who may have just joined this conversation, I have had 3 procedures so far: panniculectomy in 7/12 and breast lift and arm surgery 12/11. Any questions, just let me know.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 10-27-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #914
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Hi Heidi - I guess I need to read back...I am doing good. I had my tummy tuck (panniculectomy) on 7/9 and I am doing very well now. I still feel very tight - especially after I walk/jog. I don't sleep on my stomach, but I never really did, so it isn't a problem. I have never been able to wear shirts tucked in or wear belts with any degree of comfort. I was always so horrified when I had to do it (think back to like band outfits in high school, etc...). Well, now I own 2 belts and I recently bought 3 pair of jeans. I tuck shirts in and I bought matching bras and panties at Victoria's Secret a while back. I can still barely believe this is me now. I haven't lost a pound in about 3 or 4 months, and I do go back and forth about 3 pounds, but I consider that normal.

My thigh surgery is scheduled for 12/27. Some people get clothes or cookware for Christmas. I will get my thighs fixed! I have heard this surgery is a beast, so I am mentally preparing for it. I already had about ten days off after it, but I have talked with my boss and told her it looks like I will need one more week on top of that. I know from experience that you should not try to rush back to work. It can really prolong your recovery.

For those of you who may have just joined this conversation, I have had 3 procedures so far: panniculectomy in 7/12 and breast lift and arm surgery 12/11. Any questions, just let me know.
Hi HT! I know I am going to need a panni when lose about another 50 pounds or so. Did the panni do the trick or did you go full tt? My insurance will cover the panni but no tightening of the muscles. My plastic surgeon who did my breast reduction said it would be nice if I could get the whole tt...well sure it would except I can't afford it. I'm almost 60 so it's not like I'll be running around in a bikini! Did you pist before/after anywhere? Thanks so much!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #915
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post

That sounds pretty decent recovery for only a few months!

I have to admit that I try not to think of it (as it's approaching quickly), as I get queasy!

I admit I am scared!! Not so much of the tummy, but for my thighs AND because I'm getting them done at the same time. I know in the long run I will be more comfortable in my skin (pun intended lol), but I'm really scared of the pain. It seems the few people I talked to in person that had it said if they had known how painful healing was they probably wouldn't have had it done.

Thank goodness my mom said she would stay with me for a week or two because I don't know how I'm going to sleep! Our bedroom is upstairs so I doubt I'll be doing stairs for a bit. Ok I'll sleep on the couch that swallows you whole LOL Someone will have to pull me up! God give me strength!!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #916

Heidi the pain was bad the first day or two and not like OMG pain, just total discomfort, take the meds and it will not be bad, dont let the pain scare you!!!! You are going to be fine!!!! I have been through the ringer with surgery and I will still do it again!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #917
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Heidi the pain was bad the first day or two and not like OMG pain, just total discomfort, take the meds and it will not be bad, dont let the pain scare you!!!! You are going to be fine!!!! I have been through the ringer with surgery and I will still do it again!
That makes me feel better! I gave birth so I can do anything right...? RIGHT??

How did your appointment go with your doc Bejewelme?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #918

Still getting fluid out and it keeps filling, I think he is resoved to wait until I have another surgery and then cut it, it is a royal PIA, OMG, but it is what it is, my scar is healed so well he hates the thought of cutting in again, but my pubic area needs cut as well, it is all spongy and weird from gravity, I call it my ball sack! LOL
Old 11-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #919
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
Hi HT! I know I am going to need a panni when lose about another 50 pounds or so. Did the panni do the trick or did you go full tt? My insurance will cover the panni but no tightening of the muscles. My plastic surgeon who did my breast reduction said it would be nice if I could get the whole tt...well sure it would except I can't afford it. I'm almost 60 so it's not like I'll be running around in a bikini! Did you pist before/after anywhere? Thanks so much!
Sorry it has taken me so long to post again. My doctor called it a panniculectomy, but it was/is a fleu-de-lis (is that spelled right?) tummy tuck (too). I had the muscle repair and, for me, I really needed everything she could do for me. I carried a LOT of weight in my tummy area for years and it showed. She removed 17 pounds of skin/fat. I charged and used Care Credit for what wasn't covered - I also can't "afford" it, but I just felt I deserved it after everything I've done. I did post pics months ago and I know I have said I would post new ones. I WILL!!! I will get my daughter to take some pics this weekend, I promise.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #920
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
That sounds pretty decent recovery for only a few months!

I have to admit that I try not to think of it (as it's approaching quickly), as I get queasy!

I admit I am scared!! Not so much of the tummy, but for my thighs AND because I'm getting them done at the same time. I know in the long run I will be more comfortable in my skin (pun intended lol), but I'm really scared of the pain. It seems the few people I talked to in person that had it said if they had known how painful healing was they probably wouldn't have had it done.

Thank goodness my mom said she would stay with me for a week or two because I don't know how I'm going to sleep! Our bedroom is upstairs so I doubt I'll be doing stairs for a bit. Ok I'll sleep on the couch that swallows you whole LOL Someone will have to pull me up! God give me strength!!
Heidi - I agree with Bejewelme 100% (and she and I should be surgery poster kids...). Yes, there is pain, but there are also meds (although remember to take in a lot of fiber or you will have an entirely DIFFERENT kind of pain along with it all!!!) and this too, shall pass. My C-section experience was pretty painful (it ripped open and took 8 weeks to heal) - I don't think any of my plastic surgeries was that painful and none of them took that long to heal. Yes, you will have a few difficult days, but in the long run I think if you are at the point where you are seriously considering plastic surgery then a few days of pain and a few weeks of discomfort are really not so bad. I would do ALL of my surgeries again in a heartbeat. My results have made me very happy and a lot more comfortable with my body.

PS: For one surgery I rented an electric reclining chair from a medical supply company and slept in that for about three weeks. It was worth every penny and made life a lot easier for me at that time.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 11-10-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Old 11-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #921
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Still getting fluid out and it keeps filling, I think he is resoved to wait until I have another surgery and then cut it, it is a royal PIA, OMG, but it is what it is, my scar is healed so well he hates the thought of cutting in again, but my pubic area needs cut as well, it is all spongy and weird from gravity, I call it my ball sack! LOL
LOL! You kill me, woman! When is your next surgery? I also need some tightening in the nether regions - she fixed some of it last time and will do the rest in December. So, technically, I'm kinda lopsided right now! :P
Old 11-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #922
Senior LCF Member

That comforts me sooo much-- hearing positive stories and words like that! I pray so hard things just go smoothly!

I am definitely going to make some calls on Tuesday and find out about chair rentals! That sounds like a good idea for my situation!

Oh Bejewlme.... that just stinks. Wish it would go away and stay away for ya!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #923

HT- I was thinking spring for the boobie lift, fix my arms and fix my pubic area, and maybe this new lipo on my thighs that has some skin tightening property, not as good as a thigh lift but he thinks I will be happy with it smoothed out, so we might try that, honestly though I am debating the boobs, but they really need it! I just hate the thought of another surgery again, ughghg
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #924
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kmg2888
skin removal and hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziefrog View Post
For me the worst part about losing the weight is the skin, before I lost 210 lbs, I thought I would rather have saggy skin and be able to live, than to be 325 lbs (at 5'2" tall) and dieing. All the working out and lotion may help, but for me my skin was too stretched out and surgery was my only option.

The reality is the skin makes you feel like a deformed person. I was lucky enough to have my lower body lift covered by insurance because I had so much skin.

My case is not the norm, but I woke up in HORRIBLE pain, I was on drugs/had to have help getting to the bathroom for almost 6 weeks, I would have to take my Percocet and wait for 30 min so it would kick in before I could even get out of bed to go pee.

It was horrible but the best surgery I have ever had. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I had issues and needed blood, and got an infection in one of my drains in my left leg so that made recovery really really hard.

Here are some of my before the weight loss..........

This is 7 years later, please do not make fun of the second picture as I was working in the garden and have NO makeup on....But it is the only full body picture I could find on this computer.

It was the worst pain ever but sooooo worth it as I did not have an apron I had a mini skirt of skin all around me. Do it if you can you wont regret it!
I had gastric bypass surgery in 2010, I have lost about 160 lbs, I feel great but now I have to have a hysterectomy and my doctor said that he has to remove the skin on my stomach because its sooo much skin and its causing me to have back trouble. I keep hearing about how its so painful and I have two boys one in college and the other in high school, I dont know if they will have the patience with me. I know my husband will help but in his way. So I am really scared because pain medicine gets me sick so Im just having issues with this surgery. I keep putting it off even though im in pain now because of my other problems. I know I dont regret the other surgeries I had Im hoping this one is a success like yours.
Thank you
kmg2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #925

Those pics are incredible!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #926
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg2888 View Post
I had gastric bypass surgery in 2010, I have lost about 160 lbs, I feel great but now I have to have a hysterectomy and my doctor said that he has to remove the skin on my stomach because its sooo much skin and its causing me to have back trouble. I keep hearing about how its so painful and I have two boys one in college and the other in high school, I dont know if they will have the patience with me. I know my husband will help but in his way. So I am really scared because pain medicine gets me sick so Im just having issues with this surgery. I keep putting it off even though im in pain now because of my other problems. I know I dont regret the other surgeries I had Im hoping this one is a success like yours.
Thank you

kmg288: Sorry you are having issues. Just remember... WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT! Before my gastric bypass, I had full hysterectomy and major OPENED UP EIGHT INCHES DOWN MY MIDDLE exploratory surgery when they thought I had a tumor on my liver.. I didn't have a tumor. I have also had tummy tuck, butt lift, thigh work, etc. With all those surgeries, I never had major pain. I had lots of discomfort, but not bad pain. You may also be one of the lucky ones like me. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT. Congrats on your weight loss.

Haziefrog YOU ARE AWESOME! I am always amazed at your transformation pictures and love that you have kept your weight off for years. Inspiring!
clmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #927
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Those pics are incredible!!!!!!!
Ditto! You look amazing!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #928
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Excellent pics!!!!!!!!!!!

You look GREAT!!!

wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #929

My surgery is still scheduled for December 3rd, but things are completely unstable at work, and I am also moving.... timing could not be worse. I am so stressed.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #930

Mary:
Take one thing at a time, get moved and get all your heavy lifting done before surgery, get everything you will need within reach and it is what it is, it all gets done, good luck you will be fine!!!