Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #61

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
CJ, I am so sorry you were misinformed, I did not know what you expected otherwise I would have warned you... at the obesity help event in costa mesa I spoke with a surgeon who kind of specializes in helping people get covered what they can by insurance and wls post-op.... the only thing that insurance covers is removal of pannus (not even a tummy tuck) and if you want a belly button you have to pay for it because adding a belly button is cosmetic (it serves no function)... insurance also will cover a breast lift IF you still have volume in your breasts, there is a minumum weight of fat that must exist, it is covered as a "breast REDUCTION"... the lift itself is part of a reduction over a certain amount of volume.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey

Last edited by Maryposa; 09-08-2010 at 12:20 PM..
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #62
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
CJ.. My insurance only paid to remove the pannus because of rashes and spliting bleeding skin.. I paid $2800.00 extra to get a full tummytuck. My plastic surgeon is a little on the high side of cost but its because my city isn't riddled with plastic surgeons and if you want to get it cheaper you'd have to go to LA or some place like that.. I had decided to pay the extra because just doing the bottom of the tummy the top part above the belly button would still have a lot of loose skin... Plus I am super short and if they just did the pannus they would pull the extra down and lop it off and I would probably not have my belly button. I paid the extra to have it done like I felt for me it should be.. I have a lot of extra skin on my thighs but to fix that it will be totally out of pocket.. I am going to have some lipo (again out of pocket) and a breastlift (maybe augmentation).. out of pocket. Insurance companys will fight you ever step of the way to cover anything.. It took me 3 tries... The first time I tried to add in the breast lift.. they denied it because they said it didn't affect every day life.. So I took that off the table and tried again to get a full tummytuck.. declined because again.. it didn't affect every day life.. (which I was thinking what the heck.. how do they know because I have issues with the skin hanging over.. there was cracking, bleeding, rashes, and odor.. I took pictures of the rashes and split skin and my doctor documented them at EVERY visit.. because they were there and it is best to show that it is an ongoing problem.. It took me a year to finally get coverage but it probably wouldn't of taken that long but for the fact I tried to get more of the cosmetic things done and had to take those off..

Don't be discouraged.. If you need some help.. I can send you a copy of my letter to the insurance company I did and also my doctors letters so you can see what type of things you need your doctors to send in. I know it is hard waiting.. but you will get there.. Final note... make sure you take pictures... tons of them.. of the rashes and where they are.. they need to see that they look read and maybe even bleeding when cracking.. That leaves you open for infection and they will then cover it. You need to have letters from your doctors.. and a personal one... start taking pictures now.. Have someone that you trust to do it or have the doctors office do it also.

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CJ:)
Stats: 525/276/220 5'8" (16 lbs left, 40 lbs excess skin)
WOE: VLC and Exercise. (Meat/Egg/Cheesetarian)
Start Date: Dec 2003
The insurance company didn't decline it, but the portion they will cover is only 6k and I need an additional 8k. I have way too much skin on my ab area too. I need to be cut both vertical and horizontal. Without any insurance coverage it would be 14k. I have to have my surgery done in MA, I can not have it done in another state or insurance won't cover anything at all. They have pictures of t he red rashes and I also have documentation from my gynecologist saying that the extra skin is causing infections in the skin folds as well and a copy of my prescription for the cream to treat the infection.

My doctor came highly recommended and she has fought with many insurance companies and it very familiar with it, she said there is no way what-so-ever that they will cover my ab area, only the lower and I have short midsection and doing the lower and not the upper will leave me with a deformed look and the upper will then hang over the flat lower tummy and cause more problems.

She felt bad that I was misinformed and she even took discounts off her rates for me and said the other hospital gives 50% off discounts if I am paying out of pocket combined with insurance for these things so that price even included getting the 50% off the anesthesia and stuff too. She is also going to do more work on the lower belly then what insurance will pay her for, so it is actually cheaper from her then it could be from somewhere else. So she is really trying to work with me, but I can't afford that much and it has to be paid before the surgery. So I can't do anything right now unless I can get one of these companies to approve a loan for me.
I've lost 249 lbs, lowered my body fat by 36% and lowered my resting heart rate from 110 to 65 beats per minute. I was told that I'd never be able to go to the gym again after an auto accident. I've been back at the gym since Sept. 2009 and completed my first official 5k on 9/25/10. I have PCOS and recently stopped eating Soy.
CJ:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziefrog View Post

It was the worst pain ever but sooooo worth it as I did not have an apron I had a mini skirt of skin all around me. Do it if you can you wont regret it!
Wow you look awesome good job!
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #65
Queen of the Planet of Redheads

Gallery: LunaAshling
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{CJ}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Is there anyway you can finance it? Care Credit? Personal loan/credit card/home equity loan/etc??? Not that I normally adive people to go into debt... your case is unique and affecting your life and happiness.

LunaAshling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

I applied for one medical loan and got the msg of, "your application need to be reviewed further" which usually means no. I have good credit but a jerk has 4k worth of his stuff on my credit card right now which puts it close to it's limit. I am only doing temp work too and he won't co-sign for me either. I am going to try some of the other companies and my bank, but this company had a "no one left behind" thing so I tried them first thinking they might be easier to get approved from. There was a place to attach a letter of why you needed the surgery and why you needed the loan, so I did. Can't do home equity cause the house has a contract on it for someone to buy it on a rent to own deal and this house I live in now is a rental, so that's not an option. I have been looking for a full time job for a year now and doing temp work while looking but the temp work has been really slow. I am about to go see what Wendy's pays and if they are hiring......

Last edited by CJ:); 09-08-2010 at 11:51 PM..
Old 09-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #67
Queen of the Planet of Redheads

Gallery: LunaAshling
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~approval vibes!
LunaAshling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8˝"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
Approval vibes from me too. You so deserve this. There has to be a way. And you will find that way.
sweet irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

I posted on my blog about the doctor visit finally. It is kind of what I already posted here, but with a few pictures. I am debating if I will actually post pics that show the belly skin uncovered or not........ I dunno........
Old 09-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #71
Drama Queen

Gallery: pattysparkle
Stats: 425 estimate/375/ '270' / 180
WOE: RNY 3/11/09 90gm Protein Daily/ Bariatri
Start Date: January 2002-Atkins/ June 2006-Low Carb 2007-8
CJ
I was reading your blog, you are to be commended for your diligence, I feel your pain on the plastic surgery, I am facing similar dilemmas and like you do not have thousands in cash.

The scale I have had success with, and I know you do not need a high capacity one now is Siltec, I did pay $179 for it, ordered it online, it went to 500 pounds and is very accurate.

You are a very encouraging person and I am sure you have helped many on this board. You are in New England, check on medical schools and progams that might offer plastic surgery, using physicians in training that are supervised, it may not exist, but you never know, you are also young.

Keep writing and blessings to you,

PattyAnn

http://www.usbariatrics.com/
pattysparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #72
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
WOE: A 72
I'm so sorry that you're hitting a bit of a roadblock. Hopefully you can work something out. Good luck.
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ:) View Post
I posted on my blog about the doctor visit finally. It is kind of what I already posted here, but with a few pictures. I am debating if I will actually post pics that show the belly skin uncovered or not........ I dunno........
I just wanted to say that I <3 your blog. Good luck with the plastics!
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Ladies.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Haziefrog
Stats: 325/125
WOE: Lap RNY & low carb
Start Date: 02/05/03
I am so sorry to hear this. The only reason my insurance covered mine was a lot of hard work, I started documenting the rashes and back pain and all of that during the weight loss, I also did not go to a regular plastic surgeon I went to a Plastic and reconstructive surgeon, not only that he was the Chief of plastic surgery at a large teaching hospital in Atlanta. He also does pediatric reconstructive surgery.

And with all that his office did not want to submit my stuff to the insurance company, because no one had ever gotten a lower body lift covered. But I insisted that we at least try and if they turned it down then I would submit the skin removal only. They were concerned that once they denied the lower body lift, they would not ever cover anything. I took a chance, they even called my doctor and talked to him on the phone, and he never called it plastic surgery, it was always called reconstructive surgery. I really think that is why it was covered, he did not have a book of great before and after pictures for me to look at when I went to see him, you trust that he is going to fix what needs fixing and that is what I did.

If you are near Atlanta and want his name please PM me I will be happy to share, he really gave me my life back, and because of the complications that I had (ICU, Bleeding, getting several units of blood, infection in one of my drains) my surgery was $47,000.00 there is no way I could have paid even 10% of that if it had not been covered. Is it perfect? Of course not, I did a lot of damage to my skin, and I am just happy that it could be fixed to this point!

Good luck, let me know it I can help you in anyway.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
All this info is really enlightening--I am wondering if there is anyone who has ever had a body lift/ tummy tuck at a later age--I am going to be 62 and I am not even sure a surgeon would even consider talking to me about it/ consider me safe-or if I consider me safe? I had been at 148 lbs and would like to be back there again before I would consider having a consultation--but just wondering if any older ladies have ever had this done ? thanks

Cj--dont give up on your dream--you have come too far!!! There will be a way!!!

Jeanne

Last edited by jbatchelor; 09-15-2010 at 06:36 AM..
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
All this info is really enlightening--I am wondering if there is anyone who has ever had a body lift/ tummy tuck at a later age--I am going to be 62 and I am not even sure a surgeon would even consider talking to me about it/ consider me safe-or if I consider me safe? I had been at 148 lbs and would like to be back there again before I would consider having a consultation--but just wondering if any older ladies have ever had this done ? thanks

Cj--dont give up on your dream--you have come too far!!! There will be a way!!!

Jeanne
I have a friend who had hers at the age of 69 this past January. She loved the body lift so much, that a few months later she had a face lift. She had lost about 90 pounds from gastric bypass two years ago. She is glowing and looks great!

I also had tummy tuck and butt lift almost three months ago and I'm 55 and doing great!

It depends on your health.
clmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

ckmoore--thanks so much for your answer--I really appreciate it--that gives me hope that I can get this off of me--now I have another question--I have no clue about finding a good surgeon and I want one who is highly rated and regarded--and I dont mind traveling a little to feel safe and comfortable--I see you are in Tennesse and I am close to Kentucky so I am not that far away maybe? Do you care to share your Doctors name or does he or she have a website that I might visit? My health is excellent actually except for some thyroid medication which shouldnt be of any concern. I need the butt lift too --I have to sit on a cushion--the tail bone no longer has enough cushion of its own--does that take care of that problem? I hope it does--sorry--probably TMI--thanks for any info-

Jeanne
Old 09-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
jbatchelor: I used Steven Smith in Knoxville and LOVE him. He is very talented and smart. I don't think we are supposed to post web page links here, but you can find his page at stevenjsmithmd.com.

The butt lift helped my tailbone a little, but there is not much fat there anymore, so I sit on a pillow in my desk chair most of the time. Not much you can do if you have no padding.
clmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

thanks clmoore--off to look at a map--you have been so helpful--thanks so much!!! I appreciate your help--hoping next year is my year!!!

Jeanne
Old 09-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

I posted some new pictures that kind of show a bit better how much skin is there without actually showing a bare belly. You still can't fully understand it until you see it bare, but I am not gonna post that.

Anyway if you want to look the link is here:
CJ's Low Carb Corner: My Extra Belly Skin part 2
Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
I think the reality is that you would need to have multiple surgeries anyway because there is so much skin and to do too much at one time is dangerous. I would personally go ahead and do whatever the insurance will pay for, and after that is done, continue to document rashes etc. and be sure EACH time you have a rash you go to the doctor and then get a prescription so your insurance sees how much it is paying to keep maintaining your skin this way. Then later see if they will pay for more surgeries.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

The Panniculectomy and Abdominoplasty need to be done together, but it is so much surgery that nothing else can be done at the same time. If I just did what insurance would cover and then went back it would be harder and cost more out of pocket and more risk for me.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #84
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
My surgeon wouldn't do any more than she did.. I wanted her to do some lipo at the same time (even if I had to pay for it) to sculpt my hips so the transition would be better but the problem is "time on the table".. The longer you are on the table the riskier it is.. My surgery took 3-4 hours... She of course had to estimate how long the other doctor would take to fix my hernia.. which was much shorter then she expected. CJ... Take a look at SnowWhites journey.. It looks like you both had about the same amount of extra skin.. They cut her vertical and horizontal and she is thrilled with what has been done for her so far but I think shes getting some additional surgery in the future.... http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l-graphic.html My surgeon at one of my visits said she was going to have to do the verticle and horizontal or anchor cut but then the next visit said she didn't think she would have too... I almost wish she would have because it would of taken care of some of the looseness in my sides/back area but I have lost a little more weight since having the surgery and I am surprise that no back rolls show.. or barely.. I know you want more surgery done but don't give up.. keep documenting and work with your doctors office.. they might help you have some of the other things covered also..
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, she wouldn't consider doing my thighs or anything else at the same time. She said the belly has to be done first and only the belly. It's just too much that needs to be removed to do more. I don't have any hernias but I have extra tissue and veins under the skin that will be removed. It looks like I got a loan for this surgery so it will likely be scheduled in about 3 weeks pending the insurance approval on the lower belly. Both excited and nervous but not letting myself get my hopes up just yet until I hear from the insurance company. Even though the doctor thinks it should get covered on the first request because nothing cosmetic was asked for and it is infected, but you never know and I don't want more disappointment and have to wait longer.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
It looks like we might be surgery buddies then! My surgery is scheduled for October 13th, just over 3 weeks away.
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, well mine is suppose to be done on either a Thursday or a Friday based on the doctors surgery schedule for the hospital I am going to, so there is a good chance mine could be a day or two after yours. We can post while on pain meds and keep each other entertained. lol
Old 09-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #88

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Yay, CJ and Dovelette!! I am soooo excited for you both.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Very excited for both of you on this journey--you have both come so far and deserve this so much for your efforts--will be praying for you both.

Jeanne
Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #90
Drama Queen

Gallery: pattysparkle
Stats: 425 estimate/375/ '270' / 180
WOE: RNY 3/11/09 90gm Protein Daily/ Bariatri
Start Date: January 2002-Atkins/ June 2006-Low Carb 2007-8
....glad to hear the good news, keep us posted CJ and Dovelette.

Cheri- appreciate your accounts, need to continue my journey, will be in touch.

PattyAnn
pattysparkle is offline   Reply With Quote