Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Weight Loss Surgery
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #811
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Okay everyone, a few questions...

How many surgeons did you consult with? How much (on average) were the consults? How much (average) were your procedures? How much time were you off work (what do you do - active job, desk job)? And here's the one that keeps hanging me up... how long until you could exercise and what kind of exercise were you able to do then?

I'm seriously looking at surgeon's starting late November, early December because of some work and volunteer commitments. But I'm so torn about giving up my yoga practice, running, and my workout classes for an extended amount of time. Especially my yoga! I never though I would EVER say something like that. Before it was anything to get out of exercise!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #812
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
I consulted with two surgeons. The one I used was highly recommended by three of my other doctors who said they would use him if they needed plastic surgery for them or their family members.

My two consultations were FREE.

As I have said in previous posts, I had three major surgeries and seven procedures in all:

I WAS ONLY OUT OF WORK FOR 3 TO 4 DAYS WITH EACH SURGERY. I am an office manager for an engineering firm. I could not lift anything for about six weeks. I heal very well and have never had any issues with any of the surgeries. I AM FORTUNATE!!

THREE MAJOR SURGERIES INCLUDED THE FOLLOWING IN ORDER I HAD THEM DONE:

TUMMY TUCK (with ab muscle repair/BUTT LIFT with round-the-body incision.

BROW LIFT / LOWER FACE LIFT

ARM LIFT (with incision only in arm pit)/THIGH LIFT (with incision only around upper thigh, under butt cheeks & groin area), and BREAST LIFT WITH SILICONE IMPLANTS INSTALLED.

I spent a total of $36,000 cash. I also self paid for my RNY Gastric Bypass $24,000.

I am now working to build back up my savings I used.

Very happy with all procedures!!

I don't exercise like you do. I mainly walk. You can do limited exercise after just a few weeks if you do well. You are in really good physical shape from all your exercising already.
clmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmoore View Post
I consulted with two surgeons. The one I used was highly recommended by three of my other doctors who said they would use him if they needed plastic surgery for them or their family members.

My two consultations were FREE.

As I have said in previous posts, I had three major surgeries and seven procedures in all:

I WAS ONLY OUT OF WORK FOR 3 TO 4 DAYS WITH EACH SURGERY. I am an office manager for an engineering firm. I could not lift anything for about six weeks. I heal very well and have never had any issues with any of the surgeries. I AM FORTUNATE!!

THREE MAJOR SURGERIES INCLUDED THE FOLLOWING IN ORDER I HAD THEM DONE:

TUMMY TUCK (with ab muscle repair/BUTT LIFT with round-the-body incision.

BROW LIFT / LOWER FACE LIFT

ARM LIFT (with incision only in arm pit)/THIGH LIFT (with incision only around upper thigh, under butt cheeks & groin area), and BREAST LIFT WITH SILICONE IMPLANTS INSTALLED.

I spent a total of $36,000 cash. I also self paid for my RNY Gastric Bypass $24,000.

I am now working to build back up my savings I used.

Very happy with all procedures!!

I don't exercise like you do. I mainly walk. You can do limited exercise after just a few weeks if you do well. You are in really good physical shape from all your exercising already.
Thank you so much. I'm looking at abdominoplasty and a breast lift (possible augmentation depending on the amount of breast tissue I have left - I don't want to be any bigger than a C). I'll be paying for it with a 401K loan so I'll have plenty to pay for it, just kinda wanted to know what to expect.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #814
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Thank you so much. I'm looking at abdominoplasty and a breast lift (possible augmentation depending on the amount of breast tissue I have left - I don't want to be any bigger than a C). I'll be paying for it with a 401K loan so I'll have plenty to pay for it, just kinda wanted to know what to expect.
Both of these surgeries were easy for me. The sorest part of the tummy was the muscles being pulled together and sewn up. Felt like I had done a million sit-ups, but made a huge difference.

The breast lift and implants were NOTHING! I am a C cup up from less than an A cup now. In fact, the surgeon's office told me some ladies get this done now and are back to work the next day.

I do think I have a brilliant surgeon and he does not pump you full of fluids which can cause swelling and more pain. He is super!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #815

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Funny you mention yoga, I went to my first Bikram class today since my surgery 6 months ago and man I could still feel it in my tummy, my tummy was $7,500 arms were 5900, next up is the breast lift maybe with aug, have to tell you guys a girl on the surgery board had a lift with implants the implant was dropping, had them out, a small implant does look good, so maybe I will think about that, I dont want to have really huge boobs again, but I dont want those suckers to sag!!!

I went to one guy I am happy with, consults should be free most are I think???

It was hard giving up the exercise I really struggled with my tummy but that is not normally the case even so I went back to my desk job in 3 weeks, should have only been maybe 2 weeks. Its not like pain you cant move just a constant reminder. Even now at 6 months I can really feel the internal stitching in my stomach when I exercise, it is a big surgery. But so worth it!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #816
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I agree with CL & Bejewelme - Generally, I had my panniculectomy/tummy tuck on 7/9. I was off pain meds in 3 days and was back walking in about 2.5 weeks. I jogged a little of my walk last week, and probably could have before then, too. It hurt for about a week and then, little by little, the pain was more of a tightness. I still have some swelling I figure in my lower abdomen and also a little puff above the new bellybutton she made me, but generally I feel good (maybe about 95% recovered) and I am SO SO SO happy I had it done. I keep saying I need to post pics again - I just HAVE to cause the results are really better than I could have expected. My doc did tell me I was healing a bit faster than many patients and she attributed that to the fact that I was in good shape and my high-protein diet.

My consult with her was $50 bucks which she then deducted from my first surgeries. I believe my arms were $3500 and my breast lift was $3000 - I may have those switched. I believe the panniculectomy was about $6500, but my insurance paid for 75% of that.

My arms were the most painful of all my surgeries. The TT was more like a c-section if you had one, but with the extra pain of the muscle repair. My breast lift and arms were done at the same time, but I remember the arms being the most painful part. I was off for the holidays during my arm/breast surgery, so I had about 2 weeks before I went back to work. I was off 3 weeks after my stomach surgery and really did need all that time...but everyone is different. It was about 2 weeks each time before I resumed exercise, but I am largely just a walker/jogger, too. She did say 6 weeks before doing stuff specifically for/with my abs.

Hope that info helps. Just ask or PM me if you have more questions.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #817
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, and PS...as anyone who has followed my story knows, my breast lift left me feeling very small. I went from about a 50DD (or more) at my largest to now being a 38 or 40B. I wanted to be a C and was assured I would be, but when it was actually done there wasn't a whole lot to work with and I never mentioned implants because I just figured there was plenty to work with. My doc has since said that she did expect there would be more projection than there has been, and she may do a little repair work (to enhance what I do have) when she does my final surgery with her this December. We'll see. I have gotten used to my much smaller appearance, and really, it is proportionate... I just never thought I'd be so small.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #818

HT that is good about your boobies, you can always add a little implant if you need it pretty easily, my hubby keeps saying if I dont get an implant I will think they are so small after having such big boobs, so we will see I need to get my weight down some before I can even think about another surgery weight loss now really affects the boobie area.

Glad you are doing well!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #819
Major LCF Poster!

Good info, HotTamale & Bejewelme!!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #820

Thanks everyone for all the input. I REALLY wish I could do this sooner.

But I have the Susan G Komen 3 Day in November that I CANNOT even begin to imagine missing. And then I have some work obligations as well. We were supposed to go live with a new EHR process in October, but now it's been pushed back to who knows when. Perhaps December. Perhaps February. I really hate that!

And I'm the only person in my role and I'm necessary for support. Even if I did schedule I have a feeling they would rescind my time off if it conflicted.

This is what happened with my RNY when I was down in the OR. I was approved, but it took 3 months to schedule a time I could be off for a month after surgery.

I'm too damn accommodating I guess.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #821

I am sure you could be back in 2 weeks, you are in great shape, if you just sit at a desk you would be fine.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #822
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidi
Stats: Start: 315lbs/ Current: 160lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I agree with CL & Bejewelme - Generally, I had my panniculectomy/tummy tuck on 7/9. I was off pain meds in 3 days and was back walking in about 2.5 weeks. I jogged a little of my walk last week, and probably could have before then, too. It hurt for about a week and then, little by little, the pain was more of a tightness. I still have some swelling I figure in my lower abdomen and also a little puff above the new bellybutton she made me, but generally I feel good (maybe about 95% recovered) and I am SO SO SO happy I had it done. I keep saying I need to post pics again - I just HAVE to cause the results are really better than I could have expected. My doc did tell me I was healing a bit faster than many patients and she attributed that to the fact that I was in good shape and my high-protein diet.
That gives me courage! Thank you! lol

I guess I'm having some occasional "panic" over how well I can handle the surgeries. The thighs are definitely worrying me more, and I really need to stop looking at surgery pics on the internet lol.

My consult was 146$ AND I was referred by my doc-- ouch!

Last edited by Heidi; 08-31-2012 at 07:15 AM..
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #823
Senior LCF Member

I have a question regarding thighplasty-- I was wondering if anyone knew what factors come into play when a surgeon decides to do the incision down the leg, or the "lift" style with incisions only in the groin area?

My surgeon immediately said she was going to do the lateral incisions.

I tried googling this info comparison using different key words but nothing really came up about the differences.

I'm leaning towards that lateral incisions probably do a better job of tightening the thigh, which is what I really want, but the median incisions are obviously so much smaller and pretty much invisible!

Of course I'll be bringing up all these questions at my next appointment, but that's not for months and my curiosity wants to know now! :P
Old 09-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #824
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Hi Everyone,
I have finally made it through this whole thread! I didn't have WLS but I have lost 107 pounds in total (90ish a decade ago and 25 this year). I have been thinking about getting cosmetic surgery for a long time but the new weight-loss has revealed some issues that I could previously ignore. The bottom of my tummy is Shar Pei like, my thighs are jiggly and sagging, my butt is sagging, and my girls. I just went down to a lower bra size (36b) and they're barely filling it out.

So I'm thinking breast lift and implants, TT, thigh lift/Butt lift (is that a lower body lift? Can they do it along with the TT?). The other thing that slightly bothers me is a bit of saggy skin on the top inside of my arms. It's not that bad and definitely not worth a scar down my arms. Is there a way of tightening that up without going down the whole arm? Do you lose sensitivity in your nipples with the breast lift?

I am so new to this cosmetic surgery thing. I think that if I go for it I may get some facial work done also. At the very least Botox and some sort of filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
But I'm so torn about giving up my yoga practice, running, and my workout classes for an extended amount of time. Especially my yoga! I never though I would EVER say something like that. Before it was anything to get out of exercise!
This is one of my large hesitations. I workout with kettlebells and really don't want to take time off.

Also, I'm not sure how much time I can take off from work. Do you all save up your vacation or is this counted as sick leave/short term disability?

Thanks for this great thread! I have learned so much already.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #825
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi Everyone,
I have finally made it through this whole thread! I didn't have WLS but I have lost 107 pounds in total (90ish a decade ago and 25 this year). I have been thinking about getting cosmetic surgery for a long time but the new weight-loss has revealed some issues that I could previously ignore. The bottom of my tummy is Shar Pei like, my thighs are jiggly and sagging, my butt is sagging, and my girls. I just went down to a lower bra size (36b) and they're barely filling it out.

So I'm thinking breast lift and implants, TT, thigh lift/Butt lift (is that a lower body lift? Can they do it along with the TT?). The other thing that slightly bothers me is a bit of saggy skin on the top inside of my arms. It's not that bad and definitely not worth a scar down my arms. Is there a way of tightening that up without going down the whole arm? Do you lose sensitivity in your nipples with the breast lift?

I am so new to this cosmetic surgery thing. I think that if I go for it I may get some facial work done also. At the very least Botox and some sort of filler.

This is one of my large hesitations. I workout with kettlebells and really don't want to take time off.

Also, I'm not sure how much time I can take off from work. Do you all save up your vacation or is this counted as sick leave/short term disability?

Thanks for this great thread! I have learned so much already.
Congrats on the weight loss AND keeping it off for so long You look amazing!

I so feel for you on the boobies! I too, am like a 36 bb (barely b) now (after breastfeeding and major weight loss, they are in a poor state! lol I would definitely love small implants someday when I decide to save up my pennies! lol

I also really wanted some loose skin on my arms done, but medicare won't cover that so that's another procedure that will have to wait. There is a procedure that is less scarring! They cut at the armpit and pull towards there. I think this would be ideal for people with not an overly excess of arm skin. With constant arm strength training and yoga, I have noticed mine are getting tighter slowly but surely, so perhaps I won't feel the need for the brachioplasty.

Not sure about in the states, but in Canada you can take a sick leave of up to 8 weeks I believe and collect E.I. I just let my boss know this past week and she seemed a little frazzled at the thought of finding a temporary replacement for me, but also understood that I deserved this! I hope she keeps that frame of mind!

As for the exercise, I worry too about falling behind, but I think as long as you really watch your food intake, you should be fine until you can start up again.

Last edited by Heidi; 09-02-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Old 09-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #826
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmmm, What to tell both of you... Here are my thoughts:

I believe the thigh surgery that is right for you depends on how much work needs to be done. I have pockets of skin/fat on my upper thighs and yet my docor told me she suggests I only have/need the surgery where she will cut around 2/3 of each thigh and then fix/pull up my skin. She might do a little liposuction, too...

I have about 2 weeks off near Christmas and then several weeks off in the summer. I have one more surgery to go (thighs), and I am planning to take a few more sick days past the two weeks just to be as healed and comfortable as I can be when I return to work. I have heard - and believe - that the thigh surgery is very painful. Perhaps that won't be the case for me, but I never go into these surgeries expecting a cake walk...

I'm not sure what operations can be done together/at the same time. I had my arms done and my breastlift at the same time. I was initially scheduled to have my tummy tuck and thighs done at the same time, but if you've read this thread, you know this did not happen for me. My surgeon decided against it, and, in retrospect, I am very happy it did not happen. I would have toughed it out, but it would have been difficult.

My breast lift was disappointing. I had been very large (about a 48-50DD) girl, and I ended up a 38-40B. At first I was barely a B, but now I'd say I am a B. As I had mentioned before, I never even considered implants, but might have if I had known I'd have ended up (only) a B. Even my doc was suprised I didn't end up "projecting" as she had expected.

My arms have been the most painful surgery I've had...well, maybe the first 24 hours of the tummy tuck was worse, but the arms have been the most painful for the longest time. The scars are extensive and the limited movement for a while is difficult. I have keloid tissue - which means they kind of "over-scar," and we were unsure how I would scar from this. I am glad I had the surgery, but the big arms have been replaced with tight, good-looking arms with pretty bad scars along the inside... Still, I'd do it again.

With all my surgeries I did have to stop exercising for a few weeks and then start up slowly. That said, I am mainly a walker who jogs a little. I also do some elliptical and some biking and some weight training... I went back to walking after my breast lift and arm surgery by holding my arms to my chest while I walked - it hurt too much to swing them for a while... I waited about 2.5 weeks to start walking again after my tummy tuck (which was on 7/9), but I'm back to about 95% of exercising to my ability again.

Now, my two cents (and I am not at all trying to sound like a smart*&^, I am just telling you what happened to me...): Plastic surgery is a huge step. You need to try to be prepared for pain - I have found it to be quite a different pain from other surgeries because, in my cases, lots of skin (with a lot of nerves) was involved. Also, with the tummy tuck, the muscles were repaired, and that was an additional pain (which is still very tight at almost 2 months out...). Also, be ready for the results to not be anywhere near perfect. You will heal differently than anyone else, including the people in the pictures. Think of when you open a sealed envelope and then try to reseal it - it never looks like it did originally. You will have scars and can have complications. The healing takes a long time. There is also a mental/emotional aspect to this that is largely not mentioned. This changes you - forever. It can mess with your mind. I see ads for plastic surgeons with those perfect women...I don't know anyone who really ends up looking so flawless. I look and feel soooo much better than I did before my procedures, but you do pay a price (in addition to the $$$ of the procedures...). I think plastic surgery can really help people in this respect, but it is also a difficult road.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 09-02-2012 at 03:57 PM..
Old 09-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #827
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Thank you Heidi and Hot Tamale!

Heidi--how great that you get so much leave in Canada for this! I get 12 days of sick/year and short term disability after 5 days. But I have a bad feeling that disability wouldn't cover elective surgery. Next year I will also have 17 days of vacation that I could use.

I would definitely get implants along with the lift. I was never that large (c or d cup), but I was a happy c and I'd like to be that again.

Hot Tamale--thank you for the realistic view of surgery--I really appreciate it. I do not take this lightly and my concerns eventually may outweigh my desire to have it done.

I have had a couple of friends who have done the boobs/tummy and I may resign myself to only these. The thigh lift scares me a bit. But it is also the procedure that I am most curious about. Possibly because my thighs have always bothered me. I know that this won't give me perfect thighs, but an improvement may be worth it.
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #828
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all that great info HT!

I'm definitely walking in expecting MAJOR pain in recoup! Totally trying to psych myself up for it-- I kind of did the same thing for childbirth! lol

I'm definitely not expecting perfection... my surgeon already was very realistic with me on the results. I won't have a super flat tummy but that's ok. As long as that apron/wrinkly portion is gone, I would be happy.

The thighs totally worry me more, but I really can't have my tummy without my thighs. Finding clothes would be virtually impossible at that point. The stomach area in my pants/jeans are already way too big, but I need that larger size to accommodate my thigh size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke
But I have a bad feeling that disability wouldn't cover elective surgery
You know, I hadn't even really thought of that. *GULP* I think I'm going to have to look into it more lol! I work at a school and get summers off anyhow, so if they won't cover my time off I will wait another 4 months until I'm off in 2013.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #829

Yes plastic surgery is along road no matter how prepared you think you are it takes way longer than expected and you are not the Victoria Secret model you have in your head, LOL But overall it is so worth it! My thighs are a mess, my doc said the best outcome would be to have the lateral scar which I have resigned myself to just dealing with it at this point, the hard part is once you start fixing parts, the rest looks so much worse, LOL Like you are a sharpei everywhere then you have this tight tummy and now these thighs, they look so much worse!!! My arms were easy, my tummy was hard, I am the complete opposite of HT and we had similar body types and weight losses. Everyone is so different!!1 CLM had an easy time with all, you just have to be prepared to give up what you are doing and let your body heal they are very massive surgeries I am almost 7 months out from my TT and I feel the pull every day in my muscles, my lower tummy is still numb, my VJ area looks like a ken doll, all the swelling sort of dropped there, the girls are getting fixed but I want to try to lose more weight and then get all fixed up, I have dog ears at the ends of my arms from the brachioplasty so he will fix those and fix the ken doll scenario with lipo when I have my boobs done, they are the most dreadful even worse than the thighs!!!!

I think when you have spent your whole life being obese it is worth it to get repaired back to normal, losing this weight is hard!!! I think as along as you are realistic about your expectations, it is a good thing!!!!I think reading the surgery boards is good to educate yourself but try to temper what you read, everyone is different, doctors do different things, what works for one may not work for another!!! But I say if you have problem areas you want fixed go for it! The body does an amazing job healing itself!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #830
Blabbermouth!!!

I totally agree - one part gets "fixed" and suddenly everything else looks ten times worse than before! I laugh that when I was at my heaviest I wasn't concerned with my appearance - I didn't care about wrinkles and rolls (mostly because it was just so overwhelming). Now that I am closer to goal I see every wrinkle, bump, and lump. My stomach looks SOOOO much better, but my thighs are absolutely hideous. I have lost a bunch of weight, but as I did all my wrinkles became a lot more visible.

My swelling is different than Bejewelme's (she's right - we all have different experiences and heal differently). My left side is more swollen than my right. My surgeon fixed most of my VJ area, but I also have a scar where she did that (she's going to complete the job when she does my thighs - but even if I didn't have my thighs done it would still be okay...much better than the before wrinkled mess I had...). That area is not swollen, but I have a lump of abdominal muscles (hoping this swelling will go down soon) and I still have a puff of swelling or skin above my new bellybutton. My doc says she will fix all of this in December when I have my thigh surgery.

I guess my last piece of advice is to take lots of pictures before so you can see just how much better you look afterwards. I have learned to not be so critical and also to appreciate my success. Some people may say, "Oh sure, she looks a lot better now, but she had surgery." Um, yeah, I did, but I also totally changed how I ate and how I exercised and I am working hard to keep it off. If I didn't do that I'd be almost 400 pounds again. I did the work and the plastic surgery helped me showcase it. I make no excuses about it. You only live once - do what you need to do to feel your best.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 09-03-2012 at 07:10 AM..
Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #831
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Ythe hard part is once you start fixing parts, the rest looks so much worse, LOL Like you are a sharpei everywhere then you have this tight tummy and now these thighs, they look so much worse!!!
Oh my gosh I laughed so hard! Sharpei....hahaha

I totally can see myself being that way too! In all honesty I could probably use a back butt lift, but I am down to 176lbs now (whoohoo) so the sag is really not that bad anymore, and I can live with it. I've made peace with some of my sag! I have a slight feeling I will not like my ass much after this though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTamale
My swelling is different than Bejewelme's (she's right - we all have different experiences and heal differently). My left side is more swollen than my right. My surgeon fixed most of my VJ area, but I also have a scar where she did that
Does wearing compression garments help with swelling? I'm wondering if I have a compression from pretty much under boobs to thighs it would help avoid swelling in the va jay-jay area?? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTamale
I guess my last piece of advice is to take lots of pictures before so you can see just how much better you look afterwards. I have learned to not be so critical and also to appreciate my success. Some people may say, "Oh sure, she looks a lot better now, but she had surgery." Um, yeah, I did, but I also totally changed how I ate and how I exercised and I am working hard to keep it off. If I didn't do that I'd be almost 400 pounds again. I did the work and the plastic surgery helped me showcase it. I make no excuses about it. You only live once - do what you need to do to feel your best.
I totally agree! I have absolutely no shame in doing this. I've done pretty much as much as I can do, so I'm not shying away from a little help!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #832
Blabbermouth!!!

As far as I've heard, wearing compression garments after your surgery is pretty much required by all surgeons. I wear one from almost to my knees to under my bra... I do think it helps, but again, everyone heals differently. I still wear a bra about 99.5% of the time from my December breast lift and I am planning on wearing the girdle/compression garment thing for months and months to come. It just feels better to have it on and I do think it helps.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #833
Major LCF Poster!

Compression garments ARE our bodies' friends!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #834
Senior LCF Member

Ok very good to know! I just wasn't sure if the compression garments was to help avoid clots, or if it actually did help even out swelling.

If that's the case I'm gonna be strapped in for awhile! LOL hmm I wonder where I could find a really good pair around here. Large chain stores have yoga/exercise clothes, but from what's I've seen they wouldn't offer enough compression. Guess I will have to start shopping around! I'm sure we have a few specialized athletics stores around here.....
Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #835

Even spanx help with compression, you can look for generic ones even at Wal Mart and stuff after you get through the first stages!

HT- said these people that say oh well you had surgery, no ****! Do they know how hard we worked to lose 150 freaking pounds? I am still fat from vacations, but I passed my last insurance exam so I will hopefully be starting my new job, I think quitting smoking, travels and being home I got careless with the eating, but it will come off again, and I am hoping it will take more with it! I cant seem to get under 200 pounds, but I am OK as long as I am still wearing my 12's I am going to accept being a bigger girl, and just keep exercising and see what I can budge til Spring when I hope to get the boobies done!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
HT- said these people that say oh well you had surgery, no ****! Do they know how hard we worked to lose 150 freaking pounds?
I'm perfectly honest with people about this. I didn't work hard AT ALL to lose the weight after surgery. I just ate what I was supposed to and it fell off. Even changing my eating habit wasn't hard because I had no hunger, no desire or drive to eat, so I just ate what I had - which was no sugar, low fat, high protein. Mentally/emotionally it was unpleasant because I mourned being able to eat when I was on liguids or softs, but overall it really was not hard.

Now the hard part for meis KEEPING it off, and that's where I'm busting my tail. Working out often and hard, avoiding certain foods because NOW I have the desire to eat them, even if I don't have the capacity to eat much of them. This is the hard part.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #837

I didnt have weight loss surgery, I just stopped shoving my trap and started exercising, LOL
Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #838
Senior LCF Member

I agree Myyellowstang... maintaining is the hardest part!

I lost about 80 within the first 10 months.... the other 50lbs came off over the next few years. I feel at this moment that I'm at a very good state of mind of maintaining, but as most of you know, that can change quickly from many factors!

I am kind of glad that I went through that on my own though. I'm NOT putting down GBS surgery in ANY way! I have pushed a couple of friends that tell me they are at their wits end with weight to try and see if medicare will approve their surgery. Any tool to help is tremendous. I just feel that, for myself, if the weight did come off too easily such as Myyellowstang, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to "train" my mind and body before getting the skin reduction. I feel more prepared to deal with future maintaining post surgery.

I'm feeling I may have to call the surgeon and postpone the surgery until I'm finished work in June Not 100% sure but finances has changed a little here lately and if I can't pull sick leave then it will just have to wait a few more months. I was really hoping to have that healing time before summer though! Ah well.... will have to wait it out a bit longer and see!

Last edited by Heidi; 09-07-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Old 09-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #839

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
I just feel that, for myself, if the weight did come off too easily such as Myyellowstang, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to "train" my mind and body before getting the skin reduction. I feel more prepared to deal with future maintaining post surgery.
That worried me a lot before I had my RNY, but I went into this knowing I would retrain myself and that certain things were no longer going to be part of my diet. I see people that were successful, and lots more that were not and I think retraining yourself is KEY.

That's what I could never do before. I could lose 50, 60, 70 pounds and then when it came to it I would gain it all back because I would revert "back to normal" (was I ever normal before?).

Now people say they can't believe I ever weighed almost 300 pounds because I eat so healthfully. I tell them that's why I'm not almost 300 pounds anymore. To change things permanently you have to change your actions, permanently!
Old 09-08-2012, 04:36 AM   #840

GOsh when I think of how I used to eat it is mind numbing, and when I was fat I had my oself convinced I didnt eat that bad, LOL OMG- it is tough maintaining but I would rather deal with that than be over 350 pounds again, nothing is worth eating to get me to that again!