Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #781
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Hi Everyone - I made an appointment to be seen Friday afternoon...just want her to see what's going on. I do think the medicine is helping some, but I am not a doctor and I know she's good, so I will go see what she says.

Regarding the swelling...It is generally going down...except now that I have this infection I'd have to say things seem "harder" than they have before. My upper center incision is starting to go down - my belly button looks better each day. Problem area is over one thigh and then theres two small red areas by the top of my pubic area. My drain hole is still producing just a drop or two a day - but I find that odd. The whole middle area still feels very tight - I'm assuming partly from the muscle repair and partly due to the infection/swelling. I hope there's a pretty simple solution to this. After I see her - and after this situation is under control I swear I will post more pics!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #782
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Hot Tamale -- Are you still wearing your compression garment?

To others who have asked about sweliing, etc. NOTE AS HAS BEEN STATED.... WE ARE ALL VERY DIFFERENT!! I felt swollen in my lower abdomen pubic area for a while, but I wore compression garments for all my surgeries for months longer then required and loved them.

My surgeon is also very proud of the fact that he DOES NOT pump his patients full of fluid for any surgeries like some surgeons do. That not only helps lower our swelling afterwards, but also lessens pain. A lot of our pain is due to swelling.

All of you are awesome! None of these surgeries are easy decisions and I congratulate you all for changing your lives in a good way.

Losing weight and looking and feeling better STILL does NOT fix all the problems in our lives, but is one less big stress to me.

Last edited by clmoore; 08-08-2012 at 07:29 PM..
clmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #783
Blabbermouth!!!

I only take mine off to shower. Sometimes I wear two - the one she gave me and one that goes from up high to halfway down my thighs. I am the perfect patient - I do what I'm told!!
PS: When I am washing one/all of them I will wear my binder for that short period of time, too. I don't ever walk around without something on...
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #784
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I only take mine off to shower. Sometimes I wear two - the one she gave me and one that goes from up high to halfway down my thighs. I am the perfect patient - I do what I'm told!!
PS: When I am washing one/all of them I will wear my binder for that short period of time, too. I don't ever walk around without something on...
I just KNEW you were SUPER SMART!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #785
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: myyellowstang
Stats: 286/142/135
Quote:
it appears clear, not cloudy, and its a pale yellow with maybe just a tinge of pink.
Clear and yellowish pink is serosanguinous (blood and serum) fluid and that is a normal part of healing. Bright red or thick and cloudy yellow or green is not a good sign.

Quote:
I clean the drain with peroxide
Did your surgeon recommend to clean with peroxide? Peroxide kills bacteria but can also damage live tissue. If that's what your surgeon recommended then they have their reasons (although personally I would dilute it with sterile water). If it's not then I would use a mild antibacterial liquid soap/water spray and rinse with some normal saline (0.9% - drugstores have it).

Quote:
The incision is red in a few spots and the swelling around the middle incision just seems very hard and unusual.

I woke up in a cold sweat last night - and a broken fever, but I again have a low-grade one now.
Erythema (redness), wound induration (hardness - this means the tissue is inflamed) and fever are all sign of an early infection - BUT it doesn't mean it's a bad one. It is most likely warm to the touch as well, right?

So here's the deal, and this is just my opinion (please keep your doctor informed and get her opinion!!). Watch the redness. If it's localized and not growing you are most likely contained and healing, it's normal for wounds to go through an icky phase on some people. If it starts to spread or you have red streaks then your infection is increasing and you want to get in to get it taken care of. If your fever or pain increases significantly then you want to get in to see your doctor. Drainage - you want it to be clear and yellowish, pink is okay, with no odor. A foul odor, thickness, or pus is not okay. You had an antibiotic so that is a good thing too. Keep it clean and dry. Your doctor may have you take another round of antibiotic or give you a different one just to be safe.

This is a really tough place to have an incision, and it seems like a lot of people go through this. It gets sweaty. It gets rubbed by clothes and binders. It goes through all kinds of stretching and torture. It's likely to get angry, but if you take care of it (and that includes staying in contact with the doctor like you are) then you can most likely stave off anything bad.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #786
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyellowstang View Post
Clear and yellowish pink is serosanguinous (blood and serum) fluid and that is a normal part of healing. Bright red or thick and cloudy yellow or green is not a good sign.

Did your surgeon recommend to clean with peroxide? Peroxide kills bacteria but can also damage live tissue. If that's what your surgeon recommended then they have their reasons (although personally I would dilute it with sterile water). If it's not then I would use a mild antibacterial liquid soap/water spray and rinse with some normal saline (0.9% - drugstores have it).
That is all really good stuff for us to all know! I didn't know the part about Peroxide maybe damaging live tissue. Thanks for info!

Last edited by clmoore; 08-09-2012 at 05:13 AM..
Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #787
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, Heather, thanks so much for that info - it was exactly what I needed to hear! I am going to see the doc tomorrow & will post an update once I know more.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #788
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
HT hope all goes well tomorrow.
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #789
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay Folks... Update: First, I am okay. Actually, my doctor was still really pleased with how I'm healing. Now, I forget the official terms, but the deal is that my body is getting rid of fluids and fibrous things from the surgery and it is all normal (I do wish I had heard about this beforehand, but I don't think it happens to everyone...). She again mentioned my surgery was extensive comapred to most, which I need to remember. She said massage or moderately hot heating pads could help with the hardness of my stomach, which I will try... She said stop the peroxide and just use Dial. She also told me I can exercise, use stairs, and bend over again. She did say to wait another week or two on the abdominal exercising (so it was 6 weeks, Mary), but other than that exercise is a good thing and will help me feel better faster.

All that said, I walked over 2 miles today (about 50 minutes), and I also lost my 205th pound this morning. I'm a pretty happy camper today. I think just hearing you're doing okay from your doctor makes you feel significantly better. She did give me one more course of Cipro just in case, but she feels we caught the infection early. I don't go see her for a month, so I know she is confident I'm doing okay...

Thanks to all of you for your concern and advice. It all helps so much!
PS: I took a few pics yesterday and I'm trying to get around to posting them. I'll let you know when I do it.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 08-12-2012 at 12:30 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #790
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
Quote:
Okay Folks... Update: First, I am okay. Actually, my doctor was still really pleased with how I'm healing. Now, I forget the official terms, but the deal is that my body is getting rid of fluids and fibrous things from the surgery and it is all normal (I do wish I had heard about this beforehand, but I don't think it happens to everyone...). She again mentioned my surgery was extensive comapred to most, which I need to remember. She said massage or moderately hot heating pads could help with the hardness of my stomach, which I will try... She said stop the peroxide and just use Dial. She also told me I can exercise, use stairs, and bend over again. She did say to wait another week or two on the abdominal exercising (so it was 6 weeks, Mary), but other than that exercise is a good thing and will help me feel better faster.

All that said, I walked over 2 miles today (about 50 minutes), and I also lost my 205th pound this morning. I'm a pretty happy camper today. I think just hearing you're doing okay from your doctor makes you feel significantly better. She did give me one more course of Cipro just in case, but she feels we caught the infection early. I don't go see her for a month, so I know she is confident I'm doing okay...

PS: I took a few pics yesterday and I'm trying to get around to posting them. I'll let you know when I do it.
glad I peeked at this thread. Good to know you are healing well! It was over 4 months that I could even think about any abdominal exercises...
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #791
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thinr4me
Quote:

Been reading and keeping up with your progress. Good to read this tonight!
thinr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #792
Major LCF Poster!

HTso glad doc gave you a good report.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #793

Quote:

Awesome news!!!
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #794
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
HT,

Great news!!
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #795
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: juhanna
Stats: 197/184/122
WOE: atkins induction
Start Date: 6th August 2012
this is what I am hoping for one day, to get tummy tuck.. maybe my start weight is not as bad, bad my apron is, having had 6 babies on top of the weight loss.. but I'm in uk, it's very expensive and it's hard to get funding for this.. anyone found good products to deal with the exess skin, chin, thighs, stomack, arms?? (skin care products)

Last edited by juhanna; 08-16-2012 at 07:59 AM..
juhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #796
Major LCF Poster!

FEET SURGERY UPDATE:

TEN WEEKS AFTER BUNION / HAMMERTOE SURGERY:

I was ten weeks out from surgery yesterday. I saw surgeon on Tuesday and she said I am healing beautifully and she can tell I took care of my feet and did what she told me to do. I asked her if my toes are ever going to slim down again and she reminded me that I had the maximum forefoot surgery done and that it will take months before the swelling goes down. She has me starting therapy on them next Tuesday.

I had my first pedicure last night and it felt so good!! The toes look like little Vienna sausages with painted toenails on them now. I am wearing some basic ROMIKA comfort sandals today and will see how that goes without my beloved Velcro shoes after ten weeks.

I’ve done my picture update for ten weeks and attached it. When I look at the stitches and pins photos, it does remind me of how far I have healed so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ten weeks out after pedicure.jpg (32.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 08-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #797
Major LCF Poster!

clmoore Your tootsie are looking good. I cant even imagine the pain you went through.Take good care.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #798
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree - you're healing wonderfully! Congrats!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #799
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidi
Stats: Start: 315lbs/ Current: 160lbs
HT... glad to hear you're making good progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhanna View Post
nyone found good products to deal with the exess skin, chin, thighs, stomack, arms?? (skin care products)
I just read that Preperation H used occasionally (in gel mint form not ointment) helps tighten skin. I know it sounds odd, but google it and you will see lol. I guess once a month for a couple of days. You rub it on then put suran wrap (not too snug) and wear it to bed or during tanning (umm no!).

I'm going to try it with my upper arms I think!

clmoore, your feet look great! Wow it seems the healing was quick.. (I'm sure it didn't feel quick though lol).
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #800
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks to all of you for commenting on me & my decent doc visit! Today was my last Cipro and I do feel a lot better than I did a few weeks ago. I've increased my protein some and I think that's also helping. I try to massage my tummy some when I'm in the shower, and I may be having some luck with it reducing the swelling some. I'm still quite numb and it feels really tight, but it is okay, everthing all said and done. I'm looking forward to how it will look a month or two from now, though...

PS: I totally overused the word "some," but I found it so funny I didn't have the heart to edit it all to sound better! :P

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 08-16-2012 at 06:23 PM..
Old 08-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #801
Major LCF Poster!

HotTamale: Glad you are doing better. I definitely believe the extra protein helps with healing, big time! Also, remember your vitamins. I know you do!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #802

You only used three "somes". Your "somes" to other word ratio is still good.
myyellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #803
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cathy143
Stats: 302//269/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/21/11 Again 6/15/14
Wow! Everyone looks so great. It took forever to read this whole thread but what an inspiration.

I am a returning poster who had VGS in March of last year. I have been in a 5 month slump and I am officially the slowest loser my doc has. I feel as long as it is going down and now up I am a winner. However, I do have about 60-70 more lbs to lose. The nutritionalist says I am eating too many carbs, so here I am again.

I am so inspired by all of you. I have already started my surgery fund so I can afford this in the next year or so.

Clmoore, seeing your feet make mine hurt. Glad you are healing well.

Amber, you are amazing. Your wedding photos were spectacular and you look so great since your TT. You are truly a beautiful woman. Tony is lucky.

Hot Tamale, I am glad you are doing so well after your surgery. I didn't see any pics. Will some be coming?

Maryposa, I am excited for you that your surgery is near. You have been such an inspiration to me.

CJ, hugs and prayers that your will get your surgery approved.

There are so many more that have been successful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing your stories.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
cathy143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #804

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I am back from Mexcio, fat and sad to have left such a wonderful week! LOL

HT I am glad you are healing!

CLM- your toes look great that was a nasty surgery! I think for such a short time you are doing great, my toes are terrible, LOL I would love that. We got a free 20 minute foot massage everyday there in Mexico, Tony hated it so I got it, I flet bad with my size 11 feet or these poor little girls, LOL

OMG I am so fat I ate and drank everything under the sun, those fruity drinks are a killer but I did play beach volleyball, and still had my serves from college, LOL So back to some strict diet and working out! I am determined to get under 200 if it kills me by my 2 year LC anniversary which is 9/27 my son's B-day!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #805
Blabbermouth!!!

You can do it, Bejewelme!!! Your vacation sounds great! I'm envious!

I agree, CLM's feet look fantastic - I cannot imagine having that done, but you're doing great!

I am half a pound away from an all-time low (since about 1984 or so, anyway...) and I am hoping to get to it tomorrow. I have been walking and using the elliptical machine most days each week. I am excited that I seem to be able to do more and more each week. Today I went 1.6 miles on the elliptical machine then walked 2 miles on the treadmill. I felt like I accomplished something. I believe I am about 6 weeks post-op now. Also, in the last 2 days it seems my drain opening has finally closed up. That seemed to take a while. I don't have any more drainage from anywhere and the swelling is slowly going away. I really will post some pics soon, but work has me up to here with paperwork and when I get home I have kid time then I crash. Mayyyybe this weekend! Everyone take care!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #806
Major LCF Poster!

Welcoime back from vacation Bejewelme and I'm sure you're not fat!

Way to go HotTamale! Even if you are not posting pictures for us, be sure you take some for yourself so you can see your progress when you look back at this adventure.

I have my first therapy session in the morning at 7:45 on my toes/bunion/feet... FUN!! Gotta get them to be flexible. They are pretty stiff right now from wearing those velcro shoes for ten weeks.

Proud of all of you girls!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #807
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joyful48
WOE: atkins
Hello you wonderful bunch of ladies! I have also been lurking on your thread for some time .I am soo wanting a Mommy Makeover. I am thinking of going to Cancun for it as soon as I can get the money together.The Dr who did my WLS surgery told me I have met his expectations for welght loss and I don't need to lose any more. I am short so I still want to lose another 10lbs. I weigh 127 down from 212 height is 5ft no inches. My dh doesn't understand why I want the TT etc. I hate that flap , always have had one . I want a flat tummy WHAAA!! It makes me still feel fat!! should I still care at 60 yrs old ???

230/ 123~ back 171 /120/ULTIMATE GOAL 115
Judd dd334 ud1668 start day 12/15/14

160 Nov
171 12/15
165 12/22

Last edited by joyful48; 08-22-2012 at 05:34 PM..
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #808

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Joyful- yes you should still care, there is no reason for you not to feel your best and look your best after the hard work of losing weight and for people like me who have never been thin it is great to just feel normal and not be looked at like a fat freak! LOL I say go for it! Cancun for surgery? I just got back from an awesome resort there!!!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #809
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bbaaher
Needing Binder Help

After 10 weeks I still have major swelling and have to wear a binder for at least 3 more months. I return to work at a desk job in two weeks. When I sit the binder folds and digs into my stomach insecion line (just above my pubic area...had a pannectomy, hernia and muscle repar). Any ideas on how to make it so it wont dig into me?

bbaaher
bbaaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #810
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaaher View Post
After 10 weeks I still have major swelling and have to wear a binder for at least 3 more months. I return to work at a desk job in two weeks. When I sit the binder folds and digs into my stomach insecion line (just above my pubic area...had a pannectomy, hernia and muscle repar). Any ideas on how to make it so it wont dig into me?

bbaaher
Instead of a binder, I would (and I did) get the spanx-type garment that goes from under my boobs down to my knees. Very secure and tight and nothing to rub anywhere. They were very secure and comfortable with good compression.