Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #751
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Hey Izzy, Thanks again for the arm compliment. The scars I have a still really thick (especially on one arm), but I know overall they look really good. I don't specifically lift weights (I will start this soon though, I know I need to), but it looks like I do, which is cool! Congrats on getting rid of your tummy! I feel you with the hating it for 30 years thing. I can remember being 17 and having a stomach I couldn't get rid of and, from wearing jeans, it already had a weird "division" to it which only got worse and worse over the years. What an amazing relief and release to not have it there!

Bejewelme - Your point is something everyone should consider. Your results may vary is so real here. I wasn't prepared for such a hard time with my upper half, but boy did I have a tough time! Similarly, I was prepared for the absolute worst with the tummy tuck, but it turned out to only be really tough for the first few days. Maybe because I have had 3 abdominal surgeries in my lifetime - I was prepared for that pain. In any case, you do have to psyche yourself up for a plastic surgery procedure and get ready for the pain that could be involved. I think some pain is a given...but some of us just react differently to what happens to us.

Woke up and walked another maybe 1.25 miles - maybe so much as 1.5 miles. I'm pretty sore at the end, but I think I'm doing the right thing by moving at this point. That, and I'm really wanting to get down to 184 in about a week. What better way than by eating carefully and exercising? Happy Weekend, Ladies!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 07-28-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #752

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
HT- I am off for vacation, you rest up ad I am sure you will continue to feel better and be amazed! My GF from college called me out of the blue, she had arm surgery 2 days ago and is dying of pain, I said you didnt tell me you were having that, she is going through a rough divorce and decided the batwigs had to go, I said it is funny how everyone reacts differently to surgery, for me the tummy was the worst, the arm easy. Your tummy is easier for you than arms and boobs. I am anxious to see her when I get back, and see how she is doing.
yup, the arms were the worst so far for me....
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #753
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey Ladies, Question. First, some background. I had my last drain taken out this past Wednesday. Since then it has still had a drop or two here and there. Well, today I went to church and grocery shopping. I got in and out of my kinda high van several times. When I got home I went to the restroom and here my drain area had really begun to, well, leak all over. It has slowed down throughout the rest of the day and night, but it still is leaking. I thought it should be healed by now. I will call the doctor's office in the morning, but I wondered if anyone out there has had a similar experience? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #754
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
Hi Hot Tamale, no, that was not a problem for me. I wish I could be more help
Cruzcrzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #755
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Not with my cosmetic surgery, but years ago with another surgery, I had a tiny hole that took a while to close up and would ooze some fluid for a couple of weeks. One morning I was getting ready and standing in front of mirror putting on my make-up and I looked at the floor and there was a bunch of pink fluid and it scared me, but doctor said it was ok and just to keep the area clean and it would close up and it did after a couple of weeks. She said as long as it was not bright red blood or yellow infection-looking fluid, it was fine. Just part of healing sometimes.
clmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #756
Blabbermouth!!!

Ah, I see. Well, it appears clear, not cloudy, and its a pale yellow with maybe just a tinge of pink. I go to see her tomorrow. It has tapered off substantially. I even walked about 1.25 miles this morning, and didn't have any issues. I think I'm ok - and as great grandma used to say, "Better out than in..." right?

PS: Since this started happening - and/or maybe just because it is time, I have seen a decrease in the swelling. I still have plenty, no doubt, but I do see and feel a difference.

Today is 3 weeks post-op for me, by the way. I plan to take more pictures (now that the drain is out) in the next few days.

Have a great day!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:06 AM   #757
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidi
Stats: Start: 315lbs/ Current: 160lbs
I find out in a few hours if any of the two surgeries will be covered! I think I'm gonna puke I'm so anxious! LOL
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 AM   #758

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
Heidi...you asked about private messages upthread. Here at LCF you are not able to PM until you have 60 posts and have been registered for 60 days.
emily1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #759
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Emily for the info.

HT you're moving a lot now! I would say definitely the walking would help get the swelling down. Get the ol' circulation going

The pain: I'm trying to stay very reality based and psyching myself up for the WORST pain ever! I did the same when I was pregnant, and I think it worked somewhat, because labour was more bearable than I had anticipated!

Aaaand... I was approved for both! Getting tummy tuck and thighs (with long incision down leg) done at the same time--eek! She feels confident I can handle it and I would much rather miss just 6 weeks of work than 12. She said it would take about 4-5 hours.

Because I had a pulmonary embolism (blood clot) about 13 years ago, she's referring me to a hematologist just to double check that everything is fine before the procedure. She doesn't anticipate any problems, but will give me heparin (blood thinner) while I'm in the hospital, and then of course I'll have the compression stockings afterwards.

We're shooting for mid February, that way March Break could be one week of the 6 I take off from work (aren't I clever? lol).
Old 08-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #760
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bbaaher
Tummy Tuck, Hernia repair and stomach muscle repair question

Hello,

June 13th I had a ambibilcal hernia repair with mesh done, they took my belly button out, tummy tuck and muscle repair.

The hernia had seperated my stomach muscles 10 inches so the surgeon cut my muscles from about 3" down from my breasts, to my pubic bone. He fixed the hernia and then meshed it and the pulled all stomach muscles back together and stiched them back togather. Then they did the tummy tuck.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this surgery. I have not found much information online about anyone who has had all three procedures done at once.

I have had a a lot of complications and would like to find someone who has had the surgery so I can chat with them.
bbaaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #761

bbaaher I hope you get an answer because that is an interesting question / surgery set.

I also have a question for those who had muscle / hernia repair and tummy tuck. How long did your surgeon ask you to wait before doing abdominal exercises? One surgeon told his patients to wait SIX MONTHS!!! Another said six-eight weeks. I am curious because the kinds of exercise/dance classes I take use allot of core strength. I would hate to have to put them "on hold" for six whole months!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #762
Blabbermouth!!!

hi bbaaher - I had some of what you've described... I had a new belly button created, had the muscle repair (no mesh) and the tummy tuck. Actually, it was a panniculectomy... If you think I might be able to help you at all please let me know.

Mary, I think she said 6 weeks... I will specifically ask her next time I go to see her. I know now, at 3.5 weeks post-op I am still quite sore. Sneezing scares me (I've only had 2 small sneezes, and they hurt!), and I am very careful when I cough or laugh, too. It all feels really tight... I sleep with pillows under my knees and with my upper body raised so it is more of a sitting position. Today at work I was trying to blow up a balloon. I had the breath, but it hurt! I stopped...totally not worth the pain (not terrible, but still...).

Looks like my drain has decided to close up - finally! Only had a drop or two today. I have gone back to work and I am moving even more than before. I do come home tired. I did walk 1.25 miles after work, however, at an average of about 2.8 mph. Went to my GP yesterday and she saw my incisions for the first time. She was very happy with them - said she had expected something very different from what she saw. Very happy about that!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 08-02-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Old 08-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #763
Junior LCF Member

I had to stay in bed for 6 weeks, I could get up and walk and thats it. It will take 9 months until I am 100%. I am still in bed a lot because I am exhausted. Sorry, I could not be of more help.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #764
Junior LCF Member

Hello Hot, I had the panniculectomy like you, hernia repair. Dr Took 8 pounds of skin. How was your swelling weeks after surgery? Its been 7 weeks since surgery and I am swollen badly still.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #765
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sfmama123
Stats: 356/226/175
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Every day
Hello All!

i have had two hernia repairs, the second laparascopically with mesh, and two months after that, had my tummy tuck-best thing i ever did for me!!!!!

bbaher-my general surgeon and plastic surgeon decided that they would not do both at once...it would have been tooo much at once. the second hernia repair hurt like HELLL, worse than my four other abdominal surgeries, so i'm glad they didn't, plus it took seven hours to do my tummy tuck (i had planned to get the girls done at the same time, but they couldn't keep me under that long...still saving though my point being that all the complications you're having unfortunately could be a result of having all three at once....but the bright side is you didn't have to go under multiple times. i hope you heal well and everything works out fine for you *hugs*

Maryposa! i commented on your pic-you look fantastic Girl! I've been following your journey, and i am sooooo proud of you! You are an inspiration! in answer to your question, my doc told me six weeks no problem....so i went to the gym and started off just doing very light crunches on one of those ab machines where you can hold the arms of it...i was so scared to blow the surgery!!! then, i got a personal trainer who worked with me, and within three months, i could do everything fine, no problems. ease into it sloooowly, stretch gently and often....ya know...

anyway, so nice to see you all again! have a great day everyone!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #766
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi All, Just a general update. The drain area is still giving off a few drops a day - nothing like before, however. I have walked the last 7 out of 10 days and have worked up to 1.5 miles. On the treadmill I have gone as fast as 3.4mph for maybe 8 minutes, but I'm usually hovering around 3.0. I still have swelling, but I can see it going down around my hips. The incision down my stomach is by far the worst, but I can see small improvements there, too. My belly button looks okay... I am confident that it will all go down in a few weeks/month or so - what else is there to do other than be patient! I'm sure I'll feel just great the day or two before the thigh surgery! lol
PS: Tomorrow is four weeks since my surgery.

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 08-05-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #767

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmama123 View Post

Maryposa! i commented on your pic-you look fantastic Girl! I've been following your journey, and i am sooooo proud of you! You are an inspiration! in answer to your question, my doc told me six weeks no problem....so i went to the gym and started off just doing very light crunches on one of those ab machines where you can hold the arms of it...i was so scared to blow the surgery!!! then, i got a personal trainer who worked with me, and within three months, i could do everything fine, no problems. ease into it sloooowly, stretch gently and often....ya know...
Thank you for you kind and encouraging words! Not sure what pic you're referring to or where... what did you say?

Thanks for answering my question
Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #768
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Hi, Ladies:

I'm also going to post this on the WLS August thread.

As I was leaving the house at 6:30 this morning, I remembered that at that time exactly four years ago today, I was at the hospital getting prepped for RNY gastric bypass surgery. I remember telling my friend who had given me a ride how scared and uncertain I was and also feeling like I should just take out the IVs and put my clothes back on and go home and forget about it. But, I went through with it.

I can’t believe it has been four years. I still have so many problems and issues going on in my life, but I am thankful that I have the tool of the surgery to help me with that CRUSHING stress I was constantly under when I was morbidly obese at 261 pounds. Maintaining the weight loss is ABSOLUTELY not as fun and easy as it was losing it the first year or two. I go up and down ten pounds and have to work on it every single day. I know I will have to do that FOREVER. I still go to at least two support group meetings every month and I am terrified when I see people there who have gained 100 or even 200 pounds back again.

I'm 5' 7" and I weighed in at 154 this morning, and would like to be under 150, but I am so thankful for this tool.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!
clmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #769
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
You guys are awesome..awesome,..awesome

Hot Tamale,..wow, I still can't believe that its only been 4 weeks!! You are doing so great healing wise!!

Maryposa,... as always...ps: I have followed your progress on YouTube..

Clmore, ....major CONGRATS!!! on you 4 year "New-Life-Anniversary"

I may not post here much. Guess I feel kinda outta the club so to say, as i did not have WLS, BUT.....I been reading and following everyone's progress for a while now....I am amazed and in awe of all that you guys have accomplished!!

Ask~~~.Believe~~~Receive....

*Look* *Speak* *Act* ...in the direction you want to go, be or do...
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #770
Blabbermouth!!!

I think everyone is welcome here, wasted... Thanks for your kind words, but it does look like I have a bit of an infection. I see redness where there used to be none. I called the doc and they ordered me an antibiotic, which I have already taken. Hopefully I caught this early and it will go away as quickly as it came... Let's hope. I still wonder how I got it... I clean the drain with peroxide, I shower daily, clean underwear, etc... I just don't know. Then I think of the walking and the sweating I do. Whatever the cause, I have to deal with this now. Good thoughts appreciated!

clmoore - sooooo happy for you! I know first-hand how different life is when you get to that kind of place in your weight loss. It is absolutely amazing. Congrats on all your success!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 08-06-2012 at 04:26 PM..
Old 08-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #771

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
HT_ I got the sleeves back thank you. I checked in with my GF who had the arm surgery and she is struggling, so I am sending those off to her, amazing how those socks made good sleeves, LOL
Glad you got an antibiotic, my doctor was adamant about not exercising because of sweat he didnt want the incision getting sweaty. But I had so much pain it wasnt possible anyway. I go to to get drained today two weeks my seroma is filled and it is hurting when I roll over on it. Ughgh I feel like it is never going to end.

Gained 15.6 pounds of bloat in one week, yesterday ate low carb drank a ton of water and was down 8.6 that is crazy how I still bloat like a human sponge, I hate that!!! I can feel it I drank over a gallon of water a day down there but I eat carbs and it is a disaster!

Only have a few days til Cancun, and more bloat, so I gotta be careful!!!!

Heidi-congrats on the surgery really anxious to hear about the legs, I really want mine done I need the long scar too.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #772
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mirinblue
Stats: 248/189/160
WOE: Atkins/hCg/JUDD
Bejewled...surely that can't be right about the seroma..can't the doc fix that for you? To go through so much and then to have to be drained all the time for months on end...
mirinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #773

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
He says to let it go for a year and then if not down he will have to cut into me, he really tries to avoid that, today he got a lot of liquid out but feels it is smaller in measurement so he said I might be turning a corner, I sure hope so!!
One thing with these surgeries, everyone is different I dont think you can find 2 people who have the exact same experience, I really like real self website for surgery, it is helpful to read about what others go through but in your head you have to prepare that your surgery might be different!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #774
Blabbermouth!!!

Exactly - Everyone has a different time of it... It does really help to hear the stories though - within reason. It can also drive you nuts! I also hope you've turned a corner, Bejewelme - a year seems like a mighty long time to wait...

I am taking Cipro, but I think I may go to see her this Friday (instead of my previously-set appointment next Tuesday). The incision is red in a few spots and the swelling around the middle incision just seems very hard and unusual. Not sure what she will do, but I think it is better she sees it. I was not told to not exercise - if it could have helped me I would have waited. However, everything was healed (except the drain hole), so, I guess that's where this started. I woke up in a cold sweat last night - and a broken fever, but I again have a low-grade one now. I also have a weird headachey pain... I am such a worrier - I have to calm down about all this. If anyone out there had anything similar can you tell me what you did to help things? Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #775
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Exactly - Everyone has a different time of it... It does really help to hear the stories though - within reason. It can also drive you nuts! I also hope you've turned a corner, Bejewelme - a year seems like a mighty long time to wait...

I am taking Cipro, but I think I may go to see her this Friday (instead of my previously-set appointment next Tuesday). The incision is red in a few spots and the swelling around the middle incision just seems very hard and unusual. Not sure what she will do, but I think it is better she sees it. I was not told to not exercise - if it could have helped me I would have waited. However, everything was healed (except the drain hole), so, I guess that's where this started. I woke up in a cold sweat last night - and a broken fever, but I again have a low-grade one now. I also have a weird headachey pain... I am such a worrier - I have to calm down about all this. If anyone out there had anything similar can you tell me what you did to help things? Thanks!
HT,..
As a Nurse, i would encourage you to go back in to be seen asap!! Not at all saying that its "your fault", but its very easy for bacteria to enter/form in that area. She may just tell you to continue on with the Cipro, and if so, then at the very least, you will have more peace of mind. She *may* change your antibiotics, or even do a culture. Your low grade fever concerns me, so please stay on top of this!!, as no doubt, I am sure you will! Keep us posted OK?
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #776
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thinr4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmoore View Post
Regarding the cost of these surgeries, I know I DON'T have to justify what I spend my money on to anyone, but in my support group meetings I have told them that my insurance did not pay for my RNY gastric bypass or any of my cosmetic surgeries. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars in the last four years, but I have improved my health and it was my choice.

I don't go on vacations or out partying. I drive a nine year old paid for Volvo and will take care of it and drive it for many more years. I work 60+ hours a week and saved my money for all of this. IT IS WORTH IT!
Very inspiring as I keep debating the issue of surgery and the cost. Thank you for posting this.
thinr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #777
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bmore4now
Stats: 210.8/196/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart 9/23/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
He says to let it go for a year and then if not down he will have to cut into me, he really tries to avoid that, today he got a lot of liquid out but feels it is smaller in measurement so he said I might be turning a corner, I sure hope so!!
One thing with these surgeries, everyone is different I dont think you can find 2 people who have the exact same experience, I really like real self website for surgery, it is helpful to read about what others go through but in your head you have to prepare that your surgery might be different!

I was just stoping in because the title of the thread. You look absolutely fabulous. The surgery agrees with you 100%. WOW! What a transformation. You should be proud.
bmore4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #778
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thinr4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
I wish my 1st husband had given me anything of value - I'd pawn that crap in a second to get my thighs done!!!
HAH! My soon to be ex did give me tons of jewelry. There is a big old honkin' diamond sitting in my parents SD box screaming for me to sell it for my thighs! I can't stand the thing on my hand so I may as well put it to good use
thinr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #779
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmoore View Post
Hi, Ladies:

I can’t believe it has been four years. I still have so many problems and issues going on in my life, but I am thankful that I have the tool of the surgery to help me with that CRUSHING stress I was constantly under when I was morbidly obese at 261 pounds. Maintaining the weight loss is ABSOLUTELY not as fun and easy as it was losing it the first year or two. I go up and down ten pounds and have to work on it every single day. I know I will have to do that FOREVER. I still go to at least two support group meetings every month and I am terrified when I see people there who have gained 100 or even 200 pounds back again.

I'm 5' 7" and I weighed in at 154 this morning, and would like to be under 150, but I am so thankful for this tool.

This resonates with me so much! My cousin asked me how I kept the weight off (as we were eating birthday cake lol) and I told her it will never be over for me. I was enjoying this 'treat' slice but I could still eat the whole f'in cake! I know for a fact it will always be this way. It will always be a daily internal struggle (do I grab a muffin from coffee shop or wait that extra 30-45mins 'til I get home to have something healthier type thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme
Heidi-congrats on the surgery really anxious to hear about the legs, I really want mine done I need the long scar too.
Thank you! I'm sorry to hear you're having that ongoing issue... that must be a pain in the butt! I'm hoping your surgeon is right and it's coming to an end. Jeez-- that would be so frustrating after all you've already been through. You're so right everyone is so different and there's just no way of knowing how you're going heal. I "seem" like a good healer, but it's one thing to heal a small cut and another to heal huge gashes across your body!

I'm very anxious and excited. I was having some slight fears this past weekend and my mom (who also had tummy tuck after an emergency surgery quick stitch up job) says to me, "don't chicken out!!" It kind of lit a fire under my ass-- if she can do it so can I and don't call me chicken!! Thanks Ma!

I read up on my surgeon and she has great reviews from a lot of people. Apparently her stitch work is amazing lol. I'm pleased with her so far. She's very professional and honest, but still gives off a very warm and caring vibe. She also has excellent bedside manner.

She said she will have to cut from one side of hip to other, then small line straight up and new belly button. She's very realistic and told me it may not be 100% flat above my pubic area as my skin isn't as elastic there. I'm hoping wearing my compression garment longer will help with that.

I was looking at pics of thighplasty and something I'm worried about is having a "puff" of skin above the knee but then have it go thinner up my thigh. They can avoid this by going a little lower with the incision, so I'm going to mention that to her at my next appointment. I would rather have a tad longer incision if she feels it will make my leg more uniform.

The only thing that worries me (which I'm also going to address with her), is that she said I will only have one drain on my tummy, but none for my thighs. I'm not sure why as it seems everyone has drains? I know I'll have tight compression stockings so maybe the one drain will be enough? I keep writing all this questions down so I won't forget! My appt isn't until after Christmas.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #780
Junior LCF Member

To Hot

How was your swelling after your surgeries.

Thanks!