Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #691
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Ladies, I am sorry to be a drama queen here, but I am really crushed right now. Because I am still having so much drainage from one of my drains (one was removed today), my doctor is very hesitant to operate again so quickly. So, unless I miraculously stop having drainage in the next 24 - 36 hours (or get it to acceptable levels) she strongly reccommends I wait on the thigh surgery. She said the chance of infection is about 3x as bad and, if I were to get an infection, it, of course, has the potential to be really bad - even life-threatening. Of course, I know she's right, but I am just so bummed out and mad and sad right now. This is like running a marathon and blowing out your knee with the finish line just coming into view.

In other news, she loves how well I am healing otherwise. Somehow, that isn't enough for me right now.
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #692
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Dear Hot Tamale!

You know you got to take care of yourself and do what doctor says. I know you still may have the thigh surgery if the drainage stops, but I really worry that is too much too soon from my experience. Things happen to us for certain reasons, so just think of this as maybe God protecting your health and be patient.

Also, I forgot to remind you that when I had my upper thigh surgery I wish I had gotten one of those female pee funnels to use. My compression garment went from above my waist and down to my knees and was so tight, there was no way I could take it up and down to pee. I had to use the split crotch and kinda stand over the toilet... not pretty. I wish I would have gotten one of those funnel type things. You may want to check them out. I think I've seen them at Walgreen's and some health equipment places since.

Be patient!!

PLUS: Remember to be taking pictures all along your process!

Last edited by clmoore; 07-18-2012 at 05:34 PM..
clmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #693
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/138/130-135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale View Post
Ladies, I am sorry to be a drama queen here, but I am really crushed right now. Because I am still having so much drainage from one of my drains (one was removed today), my doctor is very hesitant to operate again so quickly. So, unless I miraculously stop having drainage in the next 24 - 36 hours (or get it to acceptable levels) she strongly reccommends I wait on the thigh surgery. She said the chance of infection is about 3x as bad and, if I were to get an infection, it, of course, has the potential to be really bad - even life-threatening. Of course, I know she's right, but I am just so bummed out and mad and sad right now. This is like running a marathon and blowing out your knee with the finish line just coming into view.

In other news, she loves how well I am healing otherwise. Somehow, that isn't enough for me right now.
I'm sorry for your disappointment. It is entirely possible your drainage will decrease in the next 24-36 hours. Please keep us updated. I agree with clmoore everything happens for a reason.

It's good to hear your doctor is pleased with how you are healing.
Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #694
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks guys. Ironically (and painfully) I almost yanked the darn drain out by accident tonight. It got caught on something and I wasn't paying attention. Ouch! I just hope it is still working correctly. I have to be under 25cc's in a 24 hour period. I am at about 20cc's right now - with 12 more hours to go. It doesn't look good. And, if the drain isn't out by Friday she won't do the surgery on Monday. Well, she will, if I pressed her to do it, but when a Harvard & MIT-trained doctor tells you it is a really bad idea, well, I'd be pretty dumb to not listen. Darn it.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:47 AM   #695

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Oh hun listen to her, it is a big surgery and you want everything to be OK, those thighs are not going anywhere and so much better to wait if medically necessary!! Hang in there hun, it will all work out the way it is meant to be!!! I know it is a pisser when you have your heart set on something.
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #696
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidi
Stats: Start: 315lbs/ Current: 160lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tamale
This is like running a marathon and blowing out your knee with the finish line just coming into view.
Sorry to hear you're disappointed HT I can see how that could be terribly frustrating, buuut just keep focused on your healing (which I'm glad to hear is doing great!) and that your other surgery IS going to happen in the near future! :P

I had no idea about the drains until I read this thread! I don't know if I'm approved yet so the surgeon hasn't gotten into detail about any of the other 'fun stuff' yet!

clmoore-- awesome tip about the pee funnel! Mentally noted!
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #697
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ANGELFIRE80
WOE: VSG 12/29/10
HT
ANGELFIRE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #698
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks again, Everyone! You really do help me!

Still draining daily...thought I could get it out today, but then, in 2 hours, I managed to drain about 35cc's (which gave me my higest daily amount since this all started...)! Shocked me, lemme tell you. The swelling is starting to get a bit better, and the soreness is lessening. Coughing, sneezing, and laughing are all still challenging, however.

I took some pics today - now just have to find good before pics to show you some comparisons. I also need to figure out how to black out my face... Or, I would email them to people if you were really interested. More later, have to take care of some business now. Happy Saturday!
Old 07-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #699
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks again, Everyone! You really do help me!

Still draining daily...thought I could get it out today, but then, in 2 hours, I managed to drain about 35cc's (which gave me my higest daily amount since this all started...)! Shocked me, lemme tell you. The swelling is starting to get a bit better, and the soreness is lessening. Coughing, sneezing, and laughing are all still challenging, however.

I took some pics today - now just have to find good before pics to show you some comparisons. I also need to figure out how to black out my face... Or, I would email them to people if you were really interested. More later, have to take care of some business now. Happy Saturday!
Glad you're getting better. Can you just crop out your face from the photos?

I forgot to ask if you had your ab muscles pulled together/repaired or did they need it? Mine were done at time of tummy/butt work and that was the sorest part. Felt like I had done a million sit-ups...but worth it!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #700

OMG my stomach burns now still when I cough or sneeze the muscle repair is what was killing me, and still that is what hurts me the most. I feel it everyday!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #701
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
OMG my stomach burns now still when I cough or sneeze the muscle repair is what was killing me, and still that is what hurts me the most. I feel it everyday!
But, don't those ab muscles look awesome!?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #702
Blabbermouth!!!

Right. I had the muscles repaired, too, and it is the only part that really hurts, although I am still generally sore along all incision lines. It looks good, though - I still have a drain in, but I'm almost glad I do because it is draining... I look forward to having it out just to get back to a new normal - and to get a few long-line girdles that help me feel tight. I truly like that feeling. Also need one like braline to almost knees to contain my disproportionate thunder thighs!!! All that said, things already look good, and I suspect even better final results.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #703
Senior LCF Member

What are the drains...uh.. draining actually? :P Is it clear fluid or blood? What causes that buildup under there? Do you get drains for your thighs/arms as well?

Do any of you think it's better to have thighs done before tummy, or does it matter?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Right. I had the muscles repaired, too, and it is the only part that really hurts, although I am still generally sore along all incision lines. It looks good, though - I still have a drain in, but I'm almost glad I do because it is draining... I look forward to having it out just to get back to a new normal - and to get a few long-line girdles that help me feel tight. I truly like that feeling. Also need one like braline to almost knees to contain my disproportionate thunder thighs!!! All that said, things already look good, and I suspect even better final results.
Oh, yes! I got some Spanx-like support garments that I found at Marshalls for about $12 and they were awesome. They came right up to my lower bra line and then down to my knees. I still SWEAR
Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #705
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh, yes! I got some Spanx-like support garments that I found at Marshalls for about $12 and they were awesome. They came right up to my lower bra line and then down to my knees. I still SWEAR that wearing compression garments like this for months instead of weeks helped shape my midriff and tummy area... plus, they just felt good making me feel like I wasn't going to POP open at the 'round the whole body incision!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #706
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay...a bit of a TMI post, but... The liquid is mostly a pale pinkish/yellowish liquid (it was more bloody right after surgery). I'm not a nurse, but I suspect its retained fluid from the swelling/inflamation from the incisions and/or the results of the healing that's going on in there (cells, platelets, blood and blood component parts...). I have anywhere from 30cc's to 75cc's each day. I believe 30cc's is an ounce. I had two drains initially, but the one went below 25cc's a day which meant it got to come out. In December I had 2 drains for my arms and breast lift - can't remember if they were for one surgery or the other, but suspect they helped with both, but I only had them in about 30 hours. They don't hurt (normally) while in, and its only a kind of quick pinch when they are removed.

I had my "tummy" (who are we kidding, that thing had its own zip code) due to how much worse a problem it was for me on so many levels. Many people have them done at the same time. That said, I hear (and fully believe everyone) that thighs are the worse of the two surgeries due to the placement of the incisions. My doc said, when she does do it, she will be cutting around 2/3 of each thigh to pull up the thigh and fix the pockets I have from 30+ years of being overweight - 15 of it over 300 pounds... I think it may depend on what your doctor thinks and/or your personal body situation. I'd do the tummy first every time, though!

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 07-22-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #707
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree with the compression garment stuff clm. I like how my panty girdle and also the binder I got make me feel. I wasn't cut completely around, but I was cut about 2/3 of the way around for my panniculectomy, not to mention the incision from my pubic bone (I think) to my breastbone for the fleur-de-lis. She made me a new bellybutton and I have a weird puffy area right above it, and I think wearing the garments will help that go away. (If not, she says she will fix/lipo/etc... it when she does my thighs...) I've read, too, that your skin needs to (for lack of a better medical term) reattach to your body and wearing garments like this helps for sure.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #708

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
HT I can help you hide your face (I know photoshop) if you would not be concerned if I saw.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #709

HT glad you are doing well, that area above your BB will settle as you said it takes some time to feel like everything is reattaching itself of something, you have so many months o go and you are going to be amazed! I liked wearing something tight too, I still at times still sleep in my binder I just like the feeling of it holding like everything in!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #710
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay Guys, Thanks to Maryposa, I now have some comparison photos on Photobucket. Please IM me to get my name and the password you will need to see them. I will caution you that the before and after of my pannus/stomach/atrocity are not for the weak of heart!

Update: I was at about 40cc's today, so the drains stay in...
Old 07-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #711

Sorry about the drains. Looking forward to the pics! Remember how you and I talked about our small breasts....In my picture I am wearing Victoria's Secret FABULOUS bra. it IS fabulous. I highly recommend it.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #712

WOW, WOW, WOW, what a difference. You look FANTASTIC. Just wait until the swelling goes down!!!!!!! You must feel like a different person. I am soooooo happy for you! Thanks so much for sharing your pics.

About the bra, make sure you get measured .
Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #713

Marie- look at you sexy mama!

HT- the pics are unreal, I know I wrote you, but I am so thrilled for you!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #714
Major LCF Poster!

HT looks AMAZING and it will just get better and better.

Bejewelme -- Nice new HOT avatar photo!

Cruzcrzy: You look like a model in your fabulous bra posing and all!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #715
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you, all of you! It is still hard for me to comprehend it. I know its gone, and I do feel lighter... the mental stuff is still very different for me. I went shopping and was holding up 2X's...stuff like that. I went to put on a pair of underwear out of my dresser and had to laugh - they didn't have a chance of staying up. The swelling still has me feeling big - I can only hope it goes down as quickly as possible. I already see some improvement, but, as with all of this, it takes time. Thanks again!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #716
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Okay...a bit of a TMI post, but... The liquid is mostly a pale pinkish/yellowish liquid (it was more bloody right after surgery). I'm not a nurse, but I suspect its retained fluid from the swelling/inflamation from the incisions and/or the results of the healing that's going on in there (cells, platelets, blood and blood component parts...). I have anywhere from 30cc's to 75cc's each day. I believe 30cc's is an ounce. I had two drains initially, but the one went below 25cc's a day which meant it got to come out. In December I had 2 drains for my arms and breast lift - can't remember if they were for one surgery or the other, but suspect they helped with both, but I only had them in about 30 hours. They don't hurt (normally) while in, and its only a kind of quick pinch when they are removed.

I had my "tummy" (who are we kidding, that thing had its own zip code) due to how much worse a problem it was for me on so many levels. Many people have them done at the same time. That said, I hear (and fully believe everyone) that thighs are the worse of the two surgeries due to the placement of the incisions. My doc said, when she does do it, she will be cutting around 2/3 of each thigh to pull up the thigh and fix the pockets I have from 30+ years of being overweight - 15 of it over 300 pounds... I think it may depend on what your doctor thinks and/or your personal body situation. I'd do the tummy first every time, though!
Thanks for the info-- greatly appreciated! I think tummy will be my first priority. At least if I chose not to get any more done the apron would be gone!

lol about the holding the 2x up and panties! Would definitely take time to mentally adjust to something that changed so fast (especially when we're so used to it coming off fairly slow).

Would love to the see the before and afters if you don't mind.

My surgeon was talking about doing the full arm incision brachioplasty, but I would much prefer to get the armpit one only. I do a lot of arm strength training and yoga, and noticed lately my 'batwings' are not as saggy as they were. I don't think a full line incision would be necessary, but if she can't/won't do it that way, I may look around for a 2nd opinion on that one as I would be paying for it myself.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #717
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmoore View Post

Bejewelme -- Nice new HOT avatar photo!

Cruzcrzy: You look like a model in your fabulous bra posing and all!
I agree!! *wolf whistles*
Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #718
Blabbermouth!!!

If you missed my info, let me know again and I will repost... Just feel really self-conscious about just putting those yicky pictures out there...

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 07-24-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #719

Oh heck pretty soon you will be showing everyone, LOL I swear to God I am constantly pulling up my dresses to show my belly, LOL And I was not like that!!!!

That is so funny about the underwear I remember I went to VS before surgery bought like 20 pair of underwear and thought I hope I fit in these and I threw all those granny panties away, why was the underwear the last huge thing to go? Wait til you go to VS and get all those pretty panties the mental thing takes awhile to catch up I totally get you, I had lost my sexy some time ago, but now it is coming back now that I am starting to feel better, Tony is like WTH happened to you? But he likes it! LOL
Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #720
Blabbermouth!!!

I bet he does! I can't really remember ever having "sexy," but Justin Timberlake would be so proud of me cause I'm getting sexy BACK!!!! :P