LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #541
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
emily/lisa who is your surgeon? Dr. Bello?
No, Dr. Sauceda.
emily1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #542
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
6 out from the DS

I had a different bypass surgery than most people had. I had the DS. I never had issues with food and never had to puree my food. Ick! Anyway, six years out . . . I will finally have my second thigh surgery to correct my keloid scars from the first. My surgeons are great and still see me every year.

I've had a tummy tuck and the thighs. Haven't decided if I'll do the girls or the batwings. I'm 62. I'm not a bikini kind of girl and never was. I look good and feel fab!

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #543
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Peyton
Stats: 139lbs
WOE: Low carb, high protein
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ:) View Post
I didn't have my stomach stapled or anything, but I lost 236 lbs on my own just doing low carb and exercising. I have lost a lot of the weight quickly and I am going to have to have surgery to remove the extra skin. Has anyone else had this surgery? How much did it hurt? How long was your recovery time? How long were you on the strong pain meds so you couldn't drive/work etc.? And also how much weight had you lost prior to the skin removal? I ask because I am told that the more skin you have to be removed that the more it hurts and the longer recovery time there is. Just trying to see if this is really true or not.

Thanks!
Hello,
I lost over 130 lbs on my own. I, too, had excess skin. I started my plastic surgery one and a half years ago. Im finished except for removing some around my midriff. It should have been done when my lower body lift was done but I think my Doctor thought at the time I wouldn't need it.
He actually started my surgeries too soon. I still had 40 lbs to lose but he did it anyway.
I think a really good Plastic Surgeon would have made me wait till I had lost it all and very close to my goal. He is ahead of the Plastic Surgery Dept at UTM in Dallas and has an amazing History in Plastic Surgery. However, he didn't have that much experience in massive weight loss reconstruction. His specialty was actually the face.
I had to have several procedures redone. He doesn't charge for his part but you do have to pay for your day surgery and Anesthesiologist. So make sure you choose a Dr that has years experience in massive weight loss patients.
I had face lift, eyes and forehead , laser resurfacing, neck lift, breast reduction, lift and aug, lower body lift, thighs, arms ...lol pretty much all of me.
I must say I look amazing though..
The surgery was not hard on me at all. Not that painful and only on pain meds for a few days. You have drains for a few weeks too. I didn't mind any of it though because I was soooo happy about how I looked without the excess skin.
I recovered very quickly from all of it.
My surgeries were scheduled a few months apart. face and neck lift first, lower body lift and breast next, thighs and arms etc...
My advise for you is this....make sure you are within 20 lbs of your goal weight first. Work out with a personal trainer for awhile to teach you the proper way to work out. You need to have your muscles toned when you start. You'll get a much better result if you do. They will tighten your abdominal muscles with the lower body lift.
Make sure when they do your lower body lift that they take care of the upper abdomen as well. tightening those muscles and removing circumferential skin too. On the lower body lift they will be pulling skin down and cutting off the excess. But they have a procedure where they do the upper abdomen at the same time. Make sure they do that too. It is called Extended Fleur-De-Lys Abdominoplasty. So you will have a scar all around your lower body, pulling your buttocks up too and a vertical scar from pelvic to lower sternum. Google it and you will see what it looks like. Gives you a nice tight waist line.
That's why I'm having to go back and do it now. I lost more weight and then had too much skin there.
Over all, I will tell you I would do it all in a heartbeat !! I don't remember the pain , and it wasn't that bad anyway. But when you first look in that mirror and see yourself looking "normal" with an attractive body again.....OMG !
no one can hold you back, You are on top of the world....
Just do your research on Doctors first....ask him lots of questions about his experience and look at photos of his work.
It's a once in a lifetime experience that you can only afford one time. Don't want to have to go back with expensive revisions on his work.
Hope that helps a ltttle....
Good luck
Peyton
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #544
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Thanks for sharing your story, Peyton. I will talk to my surgeon about a lot of what you mentioned. One thing you said especially struck me; you talked about looking in the mirror and seeing a normal attractive body again... I thought for a second and realized I've never had that. Maybe I will in a few months, though!

Bejewelme - Update please!!!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #545

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I am doing OK, I still have the seroma that keeps getting drained every couple of days that is why still no exercise, but my tummy comes and goes with swelling, like Monday I woke up and was like WOW it was so flat then yesterday massive swelling, that is frustrating, but overall I am very pleased I think in a few months I will be raring to go!

peyton- like you my surgeries were premature, my arms I had done last year cause of my wedding well now I have lost almost 45 pounds since then, I was working out like a nut and not losing, for over 6 months, he said maybe doing the belly would get me losing again, and sure enough sitting on my rump I have lost 11 pounds totally crazy!!! WOW it sounds like you had the works, I cant imagine ever feeling normal my thighs really bug me now, and once one thing is fixed everything left over looks really bad! Breast lift is next I was not going to get implants but the girls on the surgery board said I would hate it if I didnt they said if you are used to having boobs suddenly not having them is no fun, and I am a tall big girl so I can carry them.

Here is a pic in a bikini, I was 4 weeks still very swollen!

You can see the dog ears at the bottom of my arms he says they can be fixed in the office but I am waiting til next year when I get my boobs done then he is going to lipo whatever else is bugging me and that is going to be it, I am so over PS, this was hard, and thankfully turned me off to more, the thighs I am scared of, and really need the cut down the whole leg and don't want that, so I will just cover up!

Last edited by Bejewelme; 04-12-2012 at 03:37 AM..
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #546
Blabbermouth!!!

I will tell you that, if I could do it all again, I really would seriously consider implants. As you all know if you've been reading recently, I was promised C's and now have barely B's... I am getting used to them, but it stinks, cause I thought I'd be so happy. Then again, I also thought I'd be a lot bigger. That said, I, too, am not in love with the idea of more surgeries, and I don't think I'd go for implants now. I may let her "adjust" what I do have, but I think my upcoming surgeries will be enough to deal with... So Bejewelme, I'd say you want to know as close as he can tell you, exactly what you'll have when its over. The hardest thing for me is (honestly) not having those handfulls of boobs - now I just have little ones. No real movement, hardly any bounce, and the clothes that used to pucker on me now swim on me. Consider impants!

I most likely AM going to have the horrendous thigh surgery with the cuts. My legs are so...baggy on top. At the very least I'll have the smaller thigh surgery, but most likely I'll go for the bigger one because I am not planning on more plastic surgery after this either. It hurts! The recovery is slow. The cost is high. The rewards are great, too, but it takes a lot of time to see those rewards. Anyone who has plastic surgery once is brave. Anyone who has it more than once may be just a little nuts! If I had done my tummy tuck and thighs first I don't think I'd have had my breast lift or my arms done. But I MUST get rid of this horrendous stomach. I will endure the knife one more time.

Bejewelme - thanks for the pic update, too! You look great - and awful tan for someone so far north! lol Six months from now this will all be a thing of the past! Hang in there!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #547

WOW when I look at that pic now I can see how it is getting better, I agree I see on the surgery board girls that had boobies and got lifts and the complaints is never they are too big but that they should have gone bigger! I am going to consider that! I would love the thigh surgery too my thighs are terrible but I am a chicken after this, LOL Yes we are nuts but hell I figure I have never been close to normal my whole life this last part of my life I am going to enjoy it!!! You are going to love your tummy, my experience was rare and even through it all I would go through it again it is that worth it, today is 6 weeks, still have my pesky seroma, but I will take a new pic! I tanned before surgery I gotta stop that!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #548

Gallery: smile20
Stats: 222 / 222 / 130
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 8/5/12
my daughter got implants d's not big d's and she looks good not to big and she loves them it made her feel alot better about her self. she doesnt have to
try and match them any more because one was allways littler then the other .
her and her husband picked them out but the drc had a say in what he thought to . but like i said she loves haveing pretty boobs that match and she said she would do it again . she was some what tinder there but she said well worth it .
smile20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #549
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Bejewelme, How are you doing? Well I hope.
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #550

Hanging in there, still getting my seroma drained every few days still swollen some days better than others, still cant exercise due to that and the BB. I sort of get frustrated thinking why dont I feel great but as my doc reminds me it was a huge surgery and it is going to last me the rest of my life, so what is a few more weeks in the grand scheme of things. Thanks for checking on me!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #551
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Hanging in there, still getting my seroma drained every few days still swollen some days better than others, still cant exercise due to that and the BB. I sort of get frustrated thinking why dont I feel great but as my doc reminds me it was a huge surgery and it is going to last me the rest of my life, so what is a few more weeks in the grand scheme of things. Thanks for checking on me!
I didn't get chance to say, you look great in your swimsuit! I hope you feel better quick so you can hit the pool looking awesome.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #552

Thank you! I hope I am looking better by pool time, actually it looks a lot better than that photo already, so it is getting better.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #553
Blabbermouth!!!

Sending good thoughts your way, Bejewelme!! Stay positive!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #554
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey Everyone!

Bejewelme, how goes it!!??

I just watched a show I think called "The Real Skinny," about 2 people who had gastric bypass, lost a bunch of weight, and then had major plastic surgery (the whole lower body lift...). It was so emotional for me. Especially when the surgeon would come in afterward and show the patients the parts he removed. Then, one patient did well (the doc says she followed his instructions to the letter) and the other had his incisions open up, developed an infection, etc... Scary(even though he admits he didn't do what he was supposed to...)! I know things happen, though, even if you're doing what you should. All we can do is our best. My surgery is scheduled for 6/26. I am bummed I have to wait so long, but I will be using that time to get my house in order and try like Hades to get down to 189. I would love any of you who have had a tummy tuck to offer up any advice you might have. Anything you wish someone had told you beforehand? Do tell!

Have a great Saturday!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #555

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
HT that was sarahwillbeskinny on youtube. She's part of the WLSFA. The WLSFA paid for her surgery and Dr. Katzen donated his time. Pretty neat. But, I don't like Dr. Katzens work. Sometimes it's good but sometimes it's.... just ugly
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #556
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, is it? I have never been to their site or anything. I will have to check it out.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #557

Yeah I watched that when I was like a week into my surgery and that guy's wounds opening, OMG I couldn't sleep! Thank God I didnt have that. Hun I am almost 9 weeks and was it rough, yes it was but as my surgoen said it really wasn't unexpected considering the surgery, I have a 28" scar that is a lot of healing, I still cannot belive my stomach when I see it, everyone keeps says I lost 20-30 pounds which I have not, I think it just makes that big of a difference and I am still really swollen, so even though it was rough it is the surgery most worth it I think with some seriously great results, just listen and dont think you can do a bunch of stuff if you cant, I had to stop comparing to others. I will be thinking of you! I just lost my job on Monday another round of layoffs ughggh so now I have that to contend with.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #558
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
You ladies give me hope. I am no where near getting a TT but I have needed one for so long. I'm hoping to have WLS in July/Aug then will have to find a new job to pay for the plastics / reconstruction. A huge THANK YOU for sharing.
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #559
Blabbermouth!!!

Congrats Anna! Join us on the WLS thread for even more of the day-to-day details of the journey of WLS.

Update on me... It has now been a little over 4 months since my breast lift and arm surgery. My arms look super! The scars are still pretty red but I am sure they will fade more and more. The scars are still pretty numb, too, but it is getting better. Finally, my reach is getting better and better. I don't stretch it too much, but, for instance, I can put my hair in a ponytail without having to maneuver too much...

My breast lift is still not what I expected, but I am getting used to my much smaller boobage. I went from my leftover 42 - 44DD's (and pre-WLS 50DD or larger...) to a 38-40B. I wanted to be a C, but it seems I will not get there. However, in their defense, my girls are super perky and I can easily go braless if I wanted to. They have just a bit of bounce and jiggle...I am getting to appreciate them more and more. The scars from around the nipples down to the braline are virtually non-existant - I have never seen such amazing work. My braline scars are visable, but not very bad, and are fading little by little. It still feels like I have a bit of an ace bandage wrapped around the girls - kind of like a built-in bra. Its still very odd...but I do not regret doing it.

Bejewel me - Thanks for the advice of not comparing too much. I tend to do that, and I know I shouldn't. You are psyching me up for late June. I am going to rock that darn surgery the best way I know how!! Woo Hoo for me!! I hope every day is easier and easier for you with the swelling. Thanks for sharing your details with all of us.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #560

HT- having had the arms and boobs done is going to help you with this one, you are going to know that it takes time to heal the scars take time, etc, the swelling is the big thing with this, you swell forever! This morning I am so nice and flat but still you can see a lot of the swelling as I sit I can feel the like almost filling in my tummy. I am glad you are pleased with your arms, and the boobies, well I would be OK smaller but like Tony says we have always had them and we are tall so we were used to carrying boobage! But still that has to be a great feeling, and like I said when your tummy is fixed you are going to love how great they look with that nice flat tummy!!!! It will make them look bigger!!! Good luck and keep us posted!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #561
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jayy
Hi ladies (and gents if there are any)

I have been reading through this thread for the last hour and I just want to say, you're all so amazingly inspiring and you've all done such amazing work for your health

I ended up on this thread because I am worried abut excess skin and whether I'll need surgery (I need to start saving now if I am going to lol).

My highest ever weight was 282lb, and I am now at 252lb. My goal is 147lb (135lb loss), and possible I would continue down to 140 or 135 but I will evaluate that when I get there.

Do you think I'm likely to need lifts? I really want to be prepared.

Also, if you were in my position now, with your weight loss still ahead of you, what advice would you give me?

Thanks in advance for any responses, you guys are amazing.
jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:45 AM   #562

Exercise, drink water and moisturize it is hard to say if you will need it, it depends on each person. Age, tanning, smoking, skin elasticity, many factors but hydration is the best thing for your skin so exercise and water is the best thing you can do as you lose. I would not worry yet about that, worry first about the weight loss, one thing at a time. This is such a journey, you may get to the end and think you look fine.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #563
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Wow....I have sat here and read this whole thread. I am hoping and praying that one day I can post about my tummy tuck that my husband has promised me if I lose this weight.

You ladies are an inspiration!!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #564
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay, Ladies...How is everyone? Bejewelme - check in will you?
I'm going to have another filter inserted prior to my tummy tuck on 6/26. I go to see that doc on Friday and will have it done in the next two weeks. Then, I see my plastic surgeon on 6/8 for the big consult. Wish me luck...
Old 05-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #565

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
my LBL and thigh lift is not until December but I am already stressed about finances! Ug!!
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #566

HT- I am 13 weeks still getting that darn seroma drained weekly that darn thing will not go away, I still have pain when I cough or sneeze OMG you can feel it, I can do most things except run or crunches. But it was the first year ever I put on a bathing suit and didnt feel like a freak at the pool!!!
Your day is coming, I am thinking of you!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #567

My surgery date is scheduled! I will be having: long thigh lift, lower body lift with anchor cut, butt lift using a brick of fat from the front, breast lift with implants, arm lift and neck/lower face lift. November 1st is the big day.

Last edited by emily1965; 06-03-2012 at 08:35 AM..
Old 06-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #568

Emily- are you having it all done at one time? Holy moly that is going to be some recovery, but it will be worth it, it is bad at times, but if you can look to 3-6 months out from it you get through it!! good luck, you have to take pics for us!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Emily- are you having it all done at one time? Holy moly that is going to be some recovery, but it will be worth it, it is bad at times, but if you can look to 3-6 months out from it you get through it!! good luck, you have to take pics for us!!!
One trip and one recovery. He will do part of it Nov 1st, then the rest on Nov 5th. I'll be in the hospital between and for a couple of days after, then will be moved to a hotel next to the hospital for another week or so, with the doctor checking in on me daily and a nurse coming in to help me shower and change dressings, etc. daily. I will return home on November 14th.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #570
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Hi, Emily/Lisa:

I've had three major surgeries including 7 procedures... performed over a one-year period. I am a GREAT healer and had no issues, but I'm a little concerned that is a LOT of surgery for you to have all within a few days. Just consider carefully please.

Mine were done as follows at six month intervals:

Tummy tuck/butt lift -- One incision around whole body - six pounds of skin removed

Face lift/brow lift/neck lift -- No eye work

Breast lift with silicone implants/arm pit incision lift/thigh lift with incision only at upper thigh and under butt cheeks

The VERY most uncomfortable was the thigh lift and I did not have the long incision down my whole inner thigh.
clmoore is offline   Reply With Quote