LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisarenee
Stats: 207.3 GEEEZ
WOE: Stillmans QWL
Start Date: Restarted 9-22-10
Hungry all the time!

I have been doing induction for four days now and I just cannot get enough to eat!!
I am trying to fill up mainly on protein with fat being secondary.
I drink 90 oz of water a day.
I did go into Ketosis yesterday, but I am not in ketosis today.
I'm so confused.
I don't want to consume too many calories but I feel like I am.
I have lost 3 pounds, but I think it was just water weight.
Any suggestions on what to do??

Last edited by lisarenee; 01-12-2010 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: newbie! didn't mean to post to this thread! sorry
lisarenee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Moons_Mom
Stats: 410/155/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2007
What kind of WLS did you have?

I recently started induction again. For the first week I made a big pot of homemade chicken broth. I then fried up a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breasts and keep them in the fridge too. When I am hungry I eat chicken soup as much as I want. I seriously have no worries or concerns about how much soup I eat or when in the day I eat it. If I'm hungry before bed I'll have a cup/bowl of soup at midnight even. The only thing I did do and I'm glad for it is saute a few vege's and store them separately from the broth so they don't get mushy hanging out in my fridge for days.

It's lower in fat, good protein, fills you up and is a nice cold weather hunger fixer.

Don't go hungry, you don't need to and even Dr. A suggested if we're hungry to just eat.

Enjoy some soup darling.

Susan
Moons_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Susan! That is an awesome idea!! And I love soup!!! Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jfarmer727
WOE: Low Carb
I had gastric bypass 2 years ago at 303 pounds. I have gotten as low as 167 and then up to 190 and now down to 186. I am starting Atkins again tomorrow. I have gotten to where I am hungry all the time and eating a lot of carbs, which slide right down. I need to get back to basics and get the last 50 pounds off. Good Luck with the hunger pains. Hope they go away and stay away.
jfarmer727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Haziefrog
Stats: 325/125
WOE: Lap RNY & low carb
Start Date: 02/05/03
For me when I get like that I do a reset (as I like to call it) I eat food that fills me up and takes longer to digest (protein). I go back to the basics I only eat 3 times a day (sometimes less) and I start with protein, then veggies and if there is any room left I eat carbs.

What has amazed me with having had gastric bypass (Lap RNY) is that it does not take long to get back on track and after doing it for a couple of days it gets much easier to make the right choices, and that hungry all the time goes away.

I stop grazing and only eat when I can sit down and have a meal, I eat until I am full and then that is it.

This has worked for me for almost 7 years, yes I have gained weight (I have been up to 170 twice) but it always comes right back off once I stop grazing/eating a ton of carbs. I love that you really can't break the rny, my stomach will always be tiny, I just know how to eat around that and gain weight, but I also know how to get back on and lose it!!! HTH
Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clmoore
Stats: 261/150/145
WOE: RNY Gastric bypass Aug 2008 low carb
Start Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziefrog View Post
For me when I get like that I do a reset (as I like to call it) I eat food that fills me up and takes longer to digest (protein). I go back to the basics I only eat 3 times a day (sometimes less) and I start with protein, then veggies and if there is any room left I eat carbs.

What has amazed me with having had gastric bypass (Lap RNY) is that it does not take long to get back on track and after doing it for a couple of days it gets much easier to make the right choices, and that hungry all the time goes away.

I stop grazing and only eat when I can sit down and have a meal, I eat until I am full and then that is it.

This has worked for me for almost 7 years, yes I have gained weight (I have been up to 170 twice) but it always comes right back off once I stop grazing/eating a ton of carbs. I love that you really can't break the rny, my stomach will always be tiny, I just know how to eat around that and gain weight, but I also know how to get back on and lose it!!! HTH
Hazie: Can you give me examples of the "longer to digest protein" that you eat to get back on track? I've been grazing this last week on too much allowable foods. I still don't do sugar or bread, but am eating too often. I am up to 156 from 150ish. Thanks!
clmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
For anyone trying to get back on track hwo has had wls-check out the 5 Day Pouch test at the LivingAfterWLS site. It's a great way to get your wls tool going full speed again.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

My gastric bypass surgery was done 10 yrs ago. I was at 350 pounds on a 5 foot 3 frame! My stomach still does not growl to this day! I guess I "think" I am hungry! I have done well with the bypass surgery only gaining back 30 pounds in 10 years. I have always had a difficult time with the carbs digesting well and deep fat foods due to not having a gallbladder. I use to stick with chicken, fish, pork, and turkey, eat all the veggies I wanted and no bread, pasta, rice or potatoes.(Chocolate only when I was PMS-ing!) This WOE worked for me until I lost my job and house and was homeless for four months. I stayed with friends and family and had to eat the way they were.. I really had no other choice it was what they ate or go hungry!! That's when the excess weight came on! I guess I will work through it and convince myself that my body is not starving it is just craving the carb addiction!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarenee View Post
My gastric bypass surgery was done 10 yrs ago. I was at 350 pounds on a 5 foot 3 frame! My stomach still does not growl to this day! I guess I "think" I am hungry! I have done well with the bypass surgery only gaining back 30 pounds in 10 years. I have always had a difficult time with the carbs digesting well and deep fat foods due to not having a gallbladder. I use to stick with chicken, fish, pork, and turkey, eat all the veggies I wanted and no bread, pasta, rice or potatoes.(Chocolate only when I was PMS-ing!) This WOE worked for me until I lost my job and house and was homeless for four months. I stayed with friends and family and had to eat the way they were.. I really had no other choice it was what they ate or go hungry!! That's when the excess weight came on! I guess I will work through it and convince myself that my body is not starving it is just craving the carb addiction!
You have done great! Sorry you had to go through losing your home and job. Hope you are back on your feet now and succeeding. I think you are right about the bad carbs addiction. I am 17 months out and have stayed away from sugar, bread, starches, etc. I still want to eat too much in the past week or so and DON'T want it to get out of control.

By the way, you are beautiful in your photo. Great eyes!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks

Well thanks for the compliments. I am back on my feet and doing well. With the economy as bad as it was and the loss of my fiance I was very depressed! A good support system is vital to maintaining and losing weight! I look forward to hearing from you and others! Take care!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I like the re-set idea too

I am still in the "active" stage of losing as a WLS patient. Although a DS-er doesn't lose as fast as an RNY person does.

I had experienced a fairly crappy stall around the end of November and the first part of December. Although I will absolutely admit I think my stall was hastened by Christmas goodies.

Anyway - in the New Year I got really back on track and it's totally working. I am eating all the time - but much MUCH leaner and smaller portions over the day. I have been losing almost a pound a day for a few weeks now. I am exhausted but I feel leaner and different (kind of healthier) even though there are times where I feel some hunger. And for the record, I think we are supposed to feel some hunger. I think skinny folks who are naturally skinny let themselves actually get hungry before they eat something.

I gotta go, just saying hi and I am happy this thread seems to be moving a little. The WLS forum is notoriously hit and miss.

Susan
Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: amidala64
Stats: 420/270/137
WOE: RNY '06/Weston A. Price
Start Date: January 2009
I made myself some bison burgers with unpasteurized sheep cheese for dinner tonight. Really good fat and protein from grass-fed animals.

When I get the munchies I like yellow and orange peppers with celtic sea salt.

If the cravings get crazy I immediately check my sugar consumption (from fruit, gluten free cookies, organic chocolate) and decrease it.

I also take a really good probiotic. Turns out the yeast in our guts, if there's too much of it, leads to cravings of the foods they need to survive...sugar!

Bone broth of any kind is great. It's full of nutritious gelatin and it's nice, filling and soothing.

Be healthy.
Be nourished.
Be kind to yourself!!

:-)

"Whatever is meant to greet me can't find me until I'm at peace exactly where I am." - me
amidala64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I did it.

I hit twoterville (is that how you spell it?) today. I haven't been under 300 pounds in 10 years.

Wow.

Susan
Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Smilin Mary
Stats: 213/170
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Feb. 2011
Can I join you?

Hello, I had gastric bypass surgery 9/11/06 I still need to loose 50 pounds to get to my goal weight. 70 pounds to get to my doctors weight. I started Atkins on January 4th. Can I join your group???
Smilin Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moons_Mom View Post
I hit twoterville (is that how you spell it?) today. I haven't been under 300 pounds in 10 years.

Wow.

Susan
Way to go!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Mary View Post
Hello, I had gastric bypass surgery 9/11/06 I still need to loose 50 pounds to get to my goal weight. 70 pounds to get to my doctors weight. I started Atkins on January 4th. Can I join your group???
Yes, the more the merrier. I hope we can at least check in with each other every day. This is a smaller, more intimate group than the big WLS boards out there.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Haziefrog
Stats: 325/125
WOE: Lap RNY & low carb
Start Date: 02/05/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmoore View Post
Hazie: Can you give me examples of the "longer to digest protein" that you eat to get back on track? I've been grazing this last week on too much allowable foods. I still don't do sugar or bread, but am eating too often. I am up to 156 from 150ish. Thanks!
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to you. For me a steak or a chunk of chicken stays with me longer and gives me a full feeling longer than eating soup or beans that can kind of slide right threw my pouch.

So what I do, is eat a small steak, or boneless chicken breast and some veggies, if I still have room then I will eat some potato or pasta. I only eat 2 or 3 times a day (I don't always do breakfast, I know that is bad), I also eat until I am full and that is it, if I eat 6 bites and I am full, I am done, I do not sit there and pick at my food, I walk away, because if I sit there long enough I will eat everything on my plate, but to me that is just like grazing, so I always try not to do that.

This is what works for me, I am sure others have things that work for them. I really eat everything that I want, just in smaller amounts, but if I am gaining weight I stop that and go back to eating protein first and so on. The great thing for me is that my pouch will always be small, yes you can stretch it but it can never ever get back to how big it was when I was 325!
Haziefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Hazie! Thanks so much. You have done great and your system is definitely working for you.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmoore View Post
Yes, the more the merrier. I hope we can at least check in with each other every day. This is a smaller, more intimate group than the big WLS boards out there.
Thanks for the welcome. I have had a crazy weekend. My girls had a basketball tournament so I was away from home most of Friday and yesterday.

I got on the scale yesterday and I was down a pound. Not the huge numbers I like to see but I will take what I get. As long as it's going down I have nothing to complain about.

I am going to plan my dinners for the week. I find that if I have an idea whats going to be for dinner then its much easer for my to stay on track.

I have been on the Induction Faze for 2 weeks now, I am not sure if I will bump up my carbs or just stick to my 20 grams until I get the Re-gain off. Any ideas???

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

~Mary~
Old 01-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mysstwalker
Stats: 501/170/140
WOE: Banded RNY - high protein/mid-level carbs baby!
Start Date: Silastic ring RNY - 1/30/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Mary View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I have had a crazy weekend. My girls had a basketball tournament so I was away from home most of Friday and yesterday.

I got on the scale yesterday and I was down a pound. Not the huge numbers I like to see but I will take what I get. As long as it's going down I have nothing to complain about.

I am going to plan my dinners for the week. I find that if I have an idea whats going to be for dinner then its much easer for my to stay on track.

I have been on the Induction Faze for 2 weeks now, I am not sure if I will bump up my carbs or just stick to my 20 grams until I get the Re-gain off. Any ideas???

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

~Mary~
OMG it has been ages since I have seen you on the boards my Secret Sister!!! Yay!!! You had WLS, so did I! Im so glad you found our little corner of the boards!
Mysstwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysstwalker View Post
OMG it has been ages since I have seen you on the boards my Secret Sister!!! Yay!!! You had WLS, so did I! Im so glad you found our little corner of the boards!
Hello!!! How are you doing? It has been to long!!! But I am back so I won't be a stranger any more.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mysstwalker
Stats: 501/170/140
WOE: Banded RNY - high protein/mid-level carbs baby!
Start Date: Silastic ring RNY - 1/30/08
You look amazing!!! Doing ok, lots of changes in my life. Have lost 321 pounds, got a fiance too!
Mysstwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bonnielougreen
Stats: 375/199/ 175
WOE: wls/low carb
Start Date: Jan 19,09
I am so glad we are seeing so many people on here,, I had believed there was no one who was going thru what I have been but now I see Im not alone,, cant believe the ups and downs of having wls,, have a good day, Bonnie
bonnielougreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Nice to see folks here!

I'm trying to get back to 150 on the scale. For some reason, it went up to 156 last week. I was at 154.5 yesterday. The only thing I think I had done to possibly gain was too much peanut butter or nuts. It is amazing how easy it is to gain!! I don't even to bread, sugar, starches, etc. Mostly lean protein and FAGE yogurt and protein powders. It is a constant job, but I am determined not to let the pounds go back to 261!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziefrog View Post

This is a great Post, Hazie. I have become very upset with myself. I no longer eat like a RNY patient. I eat like a fat woman. Thus I am, again. Obviously not the 372lb I was 5 years ago...but 240 is fat and I hate it. I am going to try your way...

Thank you!
ArdMaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandalouslyglam View Post
This is a great Post, Hazie. I have become very upset with myself. [*]I no longer eat like a RNY patient. I eat like a fat woman.
Thus I am, again. Obviously not the 372lb I was 5 years ago...but 240 is fat and I hate it. I am going to try your way...

Thank you!
That one line in your post hit home with me!!!

I too had started eating like I use too but now I have made a change.

I am weighing out all my food now and I do not let the whole meal go over 8 oz. It is helping.

I think from this moment on I will say to myself before every meal. "Eat like a RNY patient and not a Fat Woman! "

Thank you so much for this light bulb moment!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #27
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Well, I ate like a horse all day,, graze, graze, graze,, I am so sick of my lack of control,, I thought I was all set to go back to work and eat like a ryn person, but no, I ate like a horse,,a big horse/
Old 01-19-2010, 03:58 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

11 yrs post op

I found that in my 11 years post op from gastric bypass my pouch will allow me to consume small amounts of food in frequent intervals hence grazing! I have no excuse for this at all since my stomach has not growled in 11 years! I am trying to eat smaller portions on a pie plate 4 or 5 times a day. I still vomit if I eat too much so this is really helping with my portion control. It might help you too. I am doing stillmans right now to kick myself into overdrive. I am also exercising doing cardio once or twice a week and strength training once or twice a week along with working my abs everyday on the pilates ball! I really love that thing! It's my new best friend! Best of luck to you all!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:28 AM   #29
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

new day, new hope
Old 01-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #30
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Seriously ladies take a look at the 5 Day Pouch Test on LivingAfterWLS. I am 9 1/2 yrs out from my RNY and this definitely helps me get back on track. It stresses returning to eating like you did after surgery and walks you thru the steps. First 2 days are liquid proteins such as protein shakes & high protein soups, next is soft protein such as scrambled eggs, cottage cheese etc, ground protein next like ground turkey, chicken, beef & fish, then firm protein such as steak & chicken. Following the basic rules of wls is stressed-1)Protein first 2) Lots of water 3) No mindless snacking 4) Daily Exercise. I find I really eat less after completing a round of the 5 Day Pouch Test and it helps get me back to basics and more mindful of how my pouch should work.