Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shrinkingviolet
Stats: 248/238.4/140
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Oct 2010, restarting July 2014
My Journey from Poubelle to Plus Belle :)

Welcome and hugs to anyone who might read this journal...it's nice to share the journey I've succeeded before with lc but regained...this time I'm going to succeed for good! So tomorrow I'm restarting my LC weight loss journey. I'll post my feelings, successes and failures...maybe menus etc to keep me accountable. Can't wait!

PS: my journal is so named because my fiancé is french and doesn't speak English (yet), and my french is far from perfect. One early morning he was ardently telling me I was the 'plus belle' thing which had happened to him, and I was wondering what he was trying to say to me because I heard 'poubelle' which of course means dustbin I thought about it later on and realised I am treating myself as a dustbin actually, with all the junk I eat...and so my journey from poubelle to plus belle begins

Food has replaced sex in my life; now, I can't even get into my own pants. ~Author Unknown~

One day at a time is all we do
One day at a time is good for you ~ John Lennon

Shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Wishing you a bon voyage.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
Wishing you a bon voyage.
Thanks, Pat!

Well here I am, day 1. I weighed myself and discovered I've lost a few pounds since I last weighed a week ago - TOM water weight. My brain had a very feeble attempt at telling me not to start Atkins first thing when I woke up and remembered it was today...but I told it to shut up and then I went and weighed and did all my measurements. I took a long honest look in the mirror too, which was hard....but I won't look like this for long so hey

Haven't eaten yet, not really hungry. But have drunk from my 1.5l bottle of weak sf squash and am thinking about a cup of tea with soya milk and bacon and eggs.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Enjoy girl! YOu can do this!!!!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Enjoy girl! YOu can do this!!!!
Thanks! I can!!

Well I had my eggs and bacon, and cuppa. Then I had a cup of Bovril (for the extra salt intake, 1st week). Not hungry but have a headache. Keeping my fluid intake up.

So far so good!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Bit hungrier this afternoon, still headachy. Too early for Atkins flu but I think actually it's my body telling me it wants sugar - tough luck, body!

I made devilled eggs this afternoon, ate 2 for a snack, the rest are in the fridge. I also made cauliflower mash, which I can't wait to gobble up I'm cooking some nice low carb sausages and will eat a couple with the mash. It's a whole (small) cauliflower's worth, works out at 4 carbs, I might eat the whole lot

I also realised my brain has a sneaky way of trying to sabotage me. When I think of doing something good for me, ie low carbing, going for a walk etc, my brain goes DON'T BOTHER! You'll never keep it up!!! So my solution to this is, one day at a time. Go for a walk today if you feel like it, why stress about whether you'll keep doing it? Just do it today. Same with low carbing, just eat good today and then worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

I feel good
Old 07-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

So here I am, end of day one. Snuggled in bed and feeling rather pleased. I fell waaaay below my carb quota today but hey, it's day 1 and I had a headache for all of it and wasn't hungry so I'm not hung up on it. I went for a short relaxing walk this evening which was lovely. I know I'll meet challenges along the way but I feel so good and positive right now. I keep remembering my last successful stint on Atkins, I lost 40lb, and I showed a loss on the scales pretty much every day. I can remember standing on the scales laughing, incredulous that the weight was coming off so easy when I was eating so much and so many delicious foods. Here's to getting there again. I've taken the first step.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Good morning! I slept pretty poorly but it's the heat I think....plus the fact that I'm peeing all the time....so I'm tired this morning but no headache, so that's a bonus. I am one of those people who is compelled to weigh every day, so I jumped on the scales, and I am just under half a pound down since yesterday.

Also, I'm hungry! So I'm going to have soft boiled eggs with sausages to dip in instead of toast soldiers

Feeling good. Just tired.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hasn't been a bad day, but been a busy one. Visited my dad and went to buy uniform for DS who is starting high school in September. Lots of laundry...housework...blah blah. Have been quite hungry today. Had 3 eggs with sausages this morning, finished yesterday's cauliflower mash and the last 2 sausages for lunch, a couple of devilled eggs for a snack then for supper I really fancied that good old British staple, corned beef hash. So I made it but with cauliflower instead of the potato. It was JUST as yumptious but a bit lighter. Honestly couldn't tell the difference in the taste or the texture to be honest. I think I need to up my vegetable intake and branch out from cauliflower a bit but I love it sooo much.

Mentally I'm fine, I am still firmly 'in the zone', and I'm a bit tired and missing my OH who lives in France currently, but otherwise, feeling good
Old 07-30-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

1.6lb down this morning, that makes 2lb total. Good stuff! I feel vindicated for all that peeing yesterday!!

Slept pretty well last night, fatigued this morning but no headache. Hungry too. I think I'll have eggs and bacon

Still feeling good, still 'in the zone'....my brain keeps chipping in and going 'it won't be forever, you'll stall/cheat/give up'.....and then I ignore it until it gives up and I keep thinking, one day at a time
Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I am super super super tired today. Particularly my legs, they're sooo weak and flimsy. I remember this happening to me last time on Atkins and it was a good couple of weeks before it buggered off. But it was worth it because I was so peppy then! Even my kids commented that I was running with them etc. I'll get there again, I'm being kind to myself today. A lazy day on the sofa, watching tv.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Chill out girl. Ride the Adkins Flu bug out! You got this.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Chill out girl. Ride the Adkins Flu bug out! You got this.
Thank you so much! You're so motivational I'm doing my best, my arms are tired now too, I had a frank discussion with my youngest DD and told her exactly why I am feeling so feeble today, and she said, that's because you need carbs for energy! When I'd got over being proud of her for listening at school...I explained why carbs can be bad news. She gets it. She's even doing some cleaning for me

I'm riding it out.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Hungry! Now I'm a bit of a rebel with atkins, last time I did it I lost 40lb and ate yogurt, berries and nuts right from the start. This time, I'm having some cream cheese I am making chicken boobs stuffed with garlic and herb cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. 2.5g carbs each! I'm going to eat one with lots of iceberg lettuce and cucumber dressed with vinaigrette. Tomorrow I think I'll make Caesar salad (sans croutons, bien sur) with the extra chicken I'm roasting tonight. I've noticed when I diet I get far more inventive with cooking, even when doing WW...I think it's because you want to make the most of the stuff you can eat. I'm starving SF jelly and cream for dessert.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:43 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Another 1.6lb gone this morning yay!! I got my calculations wrong yesterday but no biggie, my total lost is now 3.2lb. After 3 days I know it's probably mainly water weight at this point but it's motivating nonetheless

Still a bit fatigued this morning but I'm just keeping on. Overall, I feel good
Old 07-31-2014, 05:38 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Urgh, got some free samples of lc sweets today. They were yummy and I KNEW it was a mistake to eat them all but I did anyway. I ate 4 and now I'm suffering the polyol trots. Just goes to show I have no control around sweet things. One time I lost the plot and ate a whole packet of sugar free Oreos. I thought I was gonna die :S

All else ok and I'm looking on the bright side - my colon must be sparkling clean!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Recovered from the trots but missed lunch. Wasn't hungry anyway. Hard boiled a pan full of eggs, made cauli mash, cauli rice, and invented a curry sauce because I fancied it with the extra chicken breast and the cauli rice. So I sweated half an onion, added a tablespoon of medium curry powder and cooked it for a minute or so, then added a tin of coconut milk and brought it to the boil. Simmered for a couple of minutes then whizzed with the stick blender to blend in the onions. Finally thickened it with a couple of sprinkles of xanthan gum, whizzed in with the stick blender to make sure it doesn't go lumpy. Divided it into 5 portions of 7g net carbs each. Then reheated the chicken on the cauli rice, poured over the sauce and tucked in. It was lovely, mild and perfect. Followed it with sf jelly and cream

Still slightly fatigued today but not too bad.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Another pound down this morning yay! Not sleeping very well ATM, but otherwise ok. Am hungry this morning my consignment of Mama Lupe's arrived yesterday so I might have an egg and bacon wrap for breakfast still waiting for my protein shake mixes to arrive, hope they hurry up.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Eggs and bacon for breakfast, a couple of chicken thighs for lunch followed by sf jelly and cream, then pan fried salmon with cauli mash for tea. I tried a carbquik cake recipe I found, when it cools I'll try a bit. Bit down today, wanted chocolate earlier then my brain started going on at me to eat fish and chips for tea, but I ignored it. I think TOM could be starting to approach, I'm bad at keeping track but it would explain emotions and chocolate/starchy cravings...
Old 08-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Carbquik cake was pretty good. Slightly weird texture, slightly carbquikky taste, but overall a nice low carb treat and definitely hits the spot when you want cake. Bonus: one slice is nice, but it's not nice enough that you'd keep on eating it and have too much. Perfect! Next time I think I'll add almond extract
Old 08-02-2014, 12:51 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Same weight this morning as yesterday. Still tired and a bit low
Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Welllll.....yesterday wasn't the best day ever. Felt really down and craved starch and sugar all day long. I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, then a big bowl of kale chips at lunchtime, and I ignored those cravings grimly all day long. Finally I just caved, I had some chips (that's fries I guess if you're American ) and then I ended up eating a snickers as well Truth be told, I thoroughly enjoyed them and didn't feel bad, life's too short for that, and I did what you're supposed to and ignored the cravings but they just didn't go away. Anyhow it didn't mark the beginning of a slippery slope for me I don't think, I'm down 0.2lb since yesterday and woke up this morning, as normal, in the low carb zone. Phew!

Last edited by Shrinkingviolet; 08-03-2014 at 12:31 AM..
Old 08-03-2014, 02:59 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Crispy bacon in a Mama Lupe and 2 fried eggs this morning. Plus tea with splenda and soya milk.

Ok so yesterday I was reading about JUDDD. I was in trying to think rationally about what to do if unbearable cravings occur too often. My opinion regarding yesterday is that with TOM approaching and plus for other reasons I was a bit down anyway, that explains the whole debacle. I can handle that once a month but more often than that is going to present problems. So I bought Dr Johnson's book and am in the process of reading it on my kindle.

What strikes me is that every book you read about different diets, have a gazillion health benefit claims and a gazillion references to studies etc, and for the most part they all turn their noses up at everyone else's diets as impossible to stick to Atkins has a myriad health claims and actually after three months on Atkins last time I did it, I lost 40lb and my cholesterol reduced considerably. Although I didn't follow Atkins very strictly, ignored the ladder thing and ate what I wanted pretty much within my carb allocation, with the exception of potatoes, bread, pasta etc. Having said that I can remember having an ear infection about a month in, and feeling sooo sorry for myself and just wanting toast but being terrified of screwing up my diet. Well I had half a slice of buttered toast in the end and the world didn't end, so....

Anyway I digress. I also looked into The Harcombe Diet, and did their five day induction and lost 8lb. But of course their advice to keep carbs and fats totally separate is completely at odds to Atkins where you must top veggies with fat, etc. Not to mention that frankly Zoe Harcombe's attitude kind of bugs me, I know she had issues with her weight but they weren't obesity issues, and I find her to be really opinionated and rather a hypocrite. For example she vilifies ANYTHING processed and goes into great detail about the evils of certain foods but then she says she enjoys diet coke and Kettle chips. Hm. Also I disagree with her idea of what constitutes a processed food. She calls chips (fries) 'processed potatoes', I call them 'cooked potatoes'. I stopped reading anything Harcombe related after one particular outburst where she equated giving your kid a packet of Monster Munch to child abuse. Silly woman.

I'm very familiar with the claims of companies such as WeightWatchers (who frankly have had too much of my money over the years), and now I'm reading about JUDDD who makes claims about weight loss and anti inflammatory effects, longevity etc.

So my conclusion is, they all work, if you stick to them. It's a case of finding the right one for you and your personality and circumstances. When I told my doctor I was doing Atkins he said, that's great, I always tell my patients, do whichever diet works for you, that's the best thing. It's like anything else in life I guess, we wear what makes us feel good, we listen to whatever music we enjoy, we follow (or not) whatever religion or culture we resonate with, so it stands to reason that we should adopt a diet, if we wish to lose weight, that suits us and makes us feel good rather than deprived and frustrated. Life is way too short for that.

Bearing that in mind, I'm just going to keep an eye on my moods etc, and if low carb becomes too difficult then I might give JUDDD a try, that way my up days will be only a day away if I suddenly need a certain carby food.

Having said that, like I said in my earlier post, yesterday's indulgence hasn't tipped me over the edge at all. Rather, it helped me get through a rather crummy day, and this morning I woke up and just carried on as normal as if nothing had happened. I'm not saying it would always be like that but ya know......one day at a time

JUDDD-ers....if you're reading this, feel free to comment here and share your experiences with me. I'd love to hear about your successes, challenges and so on

Last edited by Shrinkingviolet; 08-03-2014 at 03:09 AM..
Old 08-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Sooo...eggs and bacon for breakfast. Salad with corned beef, eggs and cheese for lunch, followed by sf jelly and cream with a piece of my carbquik cake cut up and thrown in, which was lovely, kind of like low carb trifle Then chicken in my mild coconut curry sauce with cauli mash for tea. I've not really been very hungry today but I made myself eat because I know I won't lose if I don't. Also I really don't like salad - there, I've said it I mean I tolerate them, but I don't enjoy them. I love iceberg but I know it's nutritionally empty. So I figured the best way to make them more palatable is to make a killer dressing. I found a garlicky dressing made with sour cream and mayo which sounds lovely so I'll make it tomorrow and toss everything in it before plating it up. I cannot eat raw tomatoes or olives. So my salads are pretty limited

Finished reading the JUDDD book and am reading the Fast Diet book by Michael Whatshisname, very very interesting indeed especially the part about the positive effects on asthma and allergies, since I have both. I wonder if you could just do Atkins but fast 2 or 3 days a week. Hm

Last edited by Shrinkingviolet; 08-03-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Old 08-04-2014, 12:45 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I'm not going to lie to ya, I'm a bit cheesed off. The first time I did Atkins I lost 8lb in the first week. This time I've lost around 4lb and notwithstanding Saturday's meltdown, I was still losing much slower. So I must admit, there's a dent in my optimism. 4lb is still 4lb, but ya know...

So I think I might be sold on the notion of intermittent fasting. I'm feeling a bit insecure now, I feel like nothing will work for me

Seriously though, I find the idea of IF very attractive indeed. Not just the weight loss part but everything else. I am 99% sure that I am going to give this a go. I'm going to reflect on it today.

If any JUDDD-ers or IF-ers are reading this, please feel free to share your experiences with me below!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Right, decision made. Tomorrow I fast. My three flavours of protein shake finally arrived in the post today so I think I'll have a shake for lunch and one for dinner. I quite often don't eat breakfast and not til later, I find it easier because I don't crave anything or really feel hunger until I've eaten the first thing of the day

Years back I was a Hare Krishna devotee, and they observe something known as Ekadasi, which is basically a day when you fast from grains. And the Nirjala Ekadasi is a total fast. I actually enjoy fasting, I find it meditative and it makes me feel introspective and calm. I'm not saying it won't be difficult some days but hey, I'm up for the challenge

I think I'll fast Tuesday and Thursday this week, and then Mon, Wed and Fri next week and thereafter. I'm also going to stop weighing daily because I do find my mood is adversely affected by those scales

Today I had a protein shake, then eggs on toast for lunch. I'm totally not hungry. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that IF is the way to go for me.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

First fast day today! I actually felt a bit peckish when I woke up this morning so I have had my first shake. Feel really really full now! Made with skimmed milk (MILK!!! From a moo cow! Not soya milk!!) they work out at 200 calories. So I'll have another later and maybe some fruit. I'm going to try to go until this evening though, so I have a good few hours in between. And I'll still have 100 calories if I want them so maybe some fruit. I dunno.

Didn't weigh this morning, going to make Saturday mornings my weigh time. Pre TOM is upon me now anyway so with the best diet in the world I'd probably still be gaining atm
Old 08-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

So my first fast day draws to a close. I had a shake at breakfast time, a cup of soup at lunchtime and a shake at teatime. Comes to about 480 cals. Also plenty of weak squash. I feel ok. I never really had any hunger pangs as such, I had a rumbly tum but it didn't bother me really. I felt quite alert today and got loads done actually, decided to totally sort out my clothes and cleared out loads of stuff. I'm tired now but it's good tired, not sluggish or fatiguey tired. I'm pleased. The proof of the pudding, as they say, will be on Saturday when I weigh, I'm afraid to weigh daily because I find it terribly demotivating even though I know it's normal to fluctuate.

I'm going to eat normally tomorrow, and when I say normally, I mean carbs. But I am not going to stuff myself either, and undo all today's good work I may perhaps put on some water weight due to eating carbs again but we'll see how it goes.

Goodnight all
Old 08-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Woke up with a slight headache this morning but it seems to have passed off pretty much. I'm not really hungry to be honest. I have to take DS to his friend's house shortly and when I get back I think I'll have poached eggs on toast

It was really motivational going through my clothes yesterday. Sending lots to charity, and have sorted out all the others - there are so many I love and can't fit into at the moment, and also loads I've bought and have NEVER been able to wear. I WILL WEAR THEM!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I had two poached eggs on buttered wholemeal toast mid morning, then wasn't hungry at all until tea time when I had some fish and a few chips. It's powerfully psychological, because I also felt that I didn't want to undo all my fasting by just eating rubbish but to be honest, I wasn't hungry anyway. Fasting tomorrow