Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coldinalaska
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12 2014
ColdinAlaska weight loss journal

I am in Day 3 of Induction...and needing a little boost, so I thought I'd join this site where I see there are many wonderful people who are dealing with issues just as I am.
I'm 53 years old and on Friday I had to go somewhere and nothing I had fit me. and we went to the store, and nothing THEY had looked good, and I saw myself in the fitting room mirror and I just cringed. Who was that person? It wasn't me! I thought about not going (it was to a bridal shower) but then I thought "that's it, the last straw". I could go over all the other things that led up to this -- a lady at a dress store telling me that I was 'large', feeling embarrassed to get into my bathing suit -- but it would just depress me. And I want to DO something about it.
And what makes me so unhappy is that the clothes I had were from just four years ago. How can I have gained so much weight in four years that my clothes no longer fit??

I guess there's lots of reasons. The coffee shop downstairs where I buy my breakfast pastries is one. The sandwich shop where I get lunch (with fries) is another! Clearly I had to put a stop to it!
So I started Induction on Saturday. It's been really hard to figure out how to do this on my work schedule, though. It takes planning, and then sticking to the plan. It takes packing a food sack the night before. I can eat the contents of the food sack anytime I am at work. Once it's gone, I can't go get more food. From my food sack today, here's what I ate:
Breakfast: cup of chamomile tea at 800 am
2 pieces rolled up ham, three two-inch pieces of cut up celery and two broccoli florets at 930 am
Snack: Atkins daybreak shake at 1030
Lunch: Left over bbq rib (no sauce) and 1/4 sliced red pepper; 8 oz sparkling water at 1230 pm

I still have string cheese and another 1/4 red pepper in my food sack but I'm not hungry. Odd, as it's almost 3 and usually I'm starving by then!
When I get home, the next challenge will be what to eat. It's ALWAYS a challenge, as we don't do well at cooking and planning with both my DH and I working -- we usually pick up takeout.
So I've stuck with the plan for three days now, no real desire to cheat -- but I've done no exercise other than a few walks with DH. I think that may be the other ingredient I need.
So my goals for this week: plan each day's food sack the night before AND plan that day's dinner; ten minutes on the treadmill in the evening three days this week.
coldinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
sounds like a great plan ! I take lots of food from home to work too.... that way I won't eat the crap everyone else is eating !

Good luck and post often. Lots of great advice and wisdom here on LCF's !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Day 5 of Induction

I had my first formal "visitor" to this journal, thank you Shelby'snana! You were so kind to reply! And may I just tell you, you have the prettiest smile?

Ugh, yesterday was hard, but not really foodwise...just the usual monthly ills, which are so much worse as I get older. Migraine headache, cramps, just misery. I stayed home in the a.m. but in the afternoon there was something I HAD to do at work so went in for two hours. Then went home and took big painkillers they give me. I would love it if losing weight would help with these horrible headaches. If I take the pain pills, I can't work or drive, and if the headache gets too bad, I have to take them.
Needless to say, no exercise. But I ate okay, I did my carb count and did fine...except...I succumbed to temptation and bought a box of "Endulge" bars, the coconut chocolate kind. They taste just like Mounds candy bars! That's a problem. I had TWO of them yesterday and could easily have eaten the whole box. I think I can't buy them. I cannot 'endulge', as it were. I have a huge sweet tooth but the day break shake or the chocolate shake will help with that.
I'd actually like to stay off even the Atkins prepared foods, but I'm okay with the shakes. I think the Endulge is TOO indulgent!
Today I'm busy at work getting ready for a meeting in Fairbanks tomorrow so I'm hoping the day will fly by and I'm well stocked today with lunch meat, cheese, half a red pepper and some sugar snap peas. For tonight there is still half a rotisserie chicken, but if I have the energy I bought some hamburger meat I thought I'd cook up with spices and cauliflower. I THINK cauliflower is allowed in Phase I but I will check. I also bought a whole jicama. I've never prepared one before though have eaten it in salads. I need to check on that too. I should have gone to the store with the list of foods. I'll have to copy them down (our printer is broken) for next time.
DH was so funny about the jicama. I put it at my place at the table because I wanted him to see it, but I was upstairs watching TV when he got home. He grabbed it and shouted to DD, "Look! Your mom has turned into this turnip thing!"
Tomorrow's struggle is already apparent: how do I do this while traveling? Somethng else to research!!
Old 07-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Still on the plan!

So the trip to Fairbanks was a good way for me to see how I can try to stay on plan while traveling. I packed one shake and two bars, except then I realized on the way to the airport, that I wouldnt' be able to take the shake through because I just had my carryon. So I drank it before getting through security, about 7 am.
Then I had tons more time before my plane so I had eggs and bacon, the eggs were great, the bacon only so-so. That kept me full till about 1230, right before the meeting. The others went out for lunch but I stayed behind to prep, and I ate one of the meal bars then. Then the meeting -- my presentation went okay, I thought -- and then right back on the plane.

On the plane I had a temptation -- they were offering free beer or wine. The thought of a glass of wine sounded SO good, I was tired and achy from dragging all my presentation materials with me...but I thought about how I'd feel disappointed that I hadn't stuck to the program after all. So I smiled and said I was fine, didn't want anything thank you.

At the airport, DH texted me that he would be late, so I waited about 40 minutes. I told him it was fine, I had work to do so I sat and made notes in the airport but then I felt like I was hungry again so I ate the other meal bar. Then DH picked me up and we picked up burgers from Red Robin. I had a guacamole bacon burger, I ate half the burger (no bun or fries of course) and then, because I HAD had a hard day, I had an Endulge coconut chocolate bar right before bed.
I am used to eating something right before I go to bed on the excuse that it helps settle all the pills I take then. Except it's usually been a bowl or three of cereal. I don't know if I should build that routine of eating with my pills into the plan, or try to stop that entirely??

So yesterdays food tally was: Early AM: Atkins Daybreak Shake
Breakfast: One egg, 1 slice bacon
Lunch: Atkins meal bar
Snack: Atkins meal bar
Dinner: Bunless hamburger with guacamole
and cole slaw
Snack: Endulge candy bar

Looking over this, I dont' think I'm eating enough, if that makes sense. I am going to have to work on that. I know I should be getting 25 g of carbs but that's six cups of veggies and that's a LOT of veggies! Which of course were conspicuously absent in yesterday's diet. I will say that I was very, very stressed yesterday getting ready for the presentation so that took away my appetite. I truly wasn't that hungry.
Because it was a one day trip, I could have packed celery sticks and cheese as well. I just ran out of time. But it was a good day to see how I could try at least to stick with the plan.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Day 10 of Induction Phase! I had HUGE cravings yesterday and succumbed with a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter. Oddly enough I wanted the peanut butter and not the cake which was right in plain sight.
No weight loss as yet but that's because I hadn't been exercising. I went for a couple of walks over the weekend with DH and did a couple of hours of gardening but that was about it. But over the weekend I had two 'aha' moments. First, I cannot do the Atkins bars or candies. I eat too many of them. But I want to keep the shakes, but only as my 'secret weapon' against night eating. So last night, right before I took all my meds, I drank a chocolate shake. Boom. Cravings conquered, tummy full, could sleep! That was the first 'aha'. (So from now on I ONLY drink a shake at night before I sleep, no shakes during the day. You're only allowed one a day, I think.) And two, I realized that I HAVE to start exercising or this fat won't shift! That's the secret ingredient.
But I don't like exercising. And I am never going to be one of those people who work out for an hour every day. It's just too hard and not enjoyable enough for me and quite honestly, I want to use my waking time when I'm not at work to do other things, like be with my family. So I just have to accept that a couple of times a week, I need to do it anyway! This morning I got up and did ten minutes on the treadmill. I'll work my way up to fifteen minutes but that's as much as I can do. I know the plan recommends thirty minutes every day but if I walk with DH and take the stairs at work, plus the fifteen minutes I should be in the right direction.
This is all hard -- the planning what to eat, the exercising, the cravings. I know it will be worth it though. Today's food prep was surprisingly easy. Half of yesterday's hamburger patty (no bun) and sliced red peppers, deli ham and raw green pea pods, two sticks of jalapeno string cheese and a bottle of sparkling water. That is what I've got to eat during the work day. There's still not enough veggies in there so I do need to fix that.
Can I just say that I'm tired of MEAT??? I could eat more fish, but that takes way more prep. Maybe tonight I'll make salmon patties with cauliflower, though. I think I might be tired, though, as I haven't exercised in months...
Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Day 11 of Induction. Things I will enjoy once I move into Phase II: Cottage cheese and nuts! And maybe cantaloupe. I don't really like fruit, and so it hasn't been that much of a sacrifice to give it up. Other starches like potatoes and bread, and sweets, have been much, much harder. I would like to try to eat meat only once a day in Phase II and have nuts or cheese for the other meals and snacks to keep the protein going -- but it looks like I'll have to monitor them closely to see just how carb-sensitive I might be. I've never been much of a meat eater but my problem has been substituting empty carbs for protein...I can see how Atkins really is a way of approaching your 'eating' life! Even when I get to Phase III I can see how I could be doing things differently from before!

I am sore from my tiny bit of exercise but that's good, right? It means my muscles are being worked out. I didn't do any exercise this morning but am going to try it tonight -- the other issue I have with night eating is that I have restless leg syndrome which results in me getting up and eating after everyone is asleep. The Atkins shake right before bedtime has helped with the cravings, but the urge to get up is still there because my legs get so uncomfortable. I sometimes have to sleep with a heavy book on my legs to get them to be still! I heard that exercising before bedtime might help them so maybe a few minutes on the treadmill right before I drink my shake and take my pills might help. Ugh, it's always something!
But -- still staying on plan. Yesterday DH showed up to take me out for lunch and I had a yummy salad with bacon bits. Then takeout meatloaf and green beans for supper. Down two pounds this morning so that's the right direction! But I wont' be in induction for more than two weeks, I think I can manage okay in Phase II. The question is: how long in Phase II? That seems more flexible than the two weeks in induction (though I know I can stay in induction more than that.) I figure I'll give Phase II two weeks as well and see how that goes...
Today I brought leftover meatloaf and green beans for "breakfast" and sliced ham and celery and two sticks of jalapeno cheese for the rest of the day. I do get more hungry at three oclock than any other time, I've noticed. I wonder why? So I've started trying to drink a cup of chamomile tea about 230 to stave it off.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Day 12, and I am two days away from finishing the induction phase. Even better: I broke my plateau weight this morning -- only a pound below where I was plateauing but it was lovely to see that number on the scale! And a good day for it too -- I didn't get much sleep last night and I am dragging this morning, just when I would be most likely to cave and get something sugary and high carb. Instead, I picked up an egg and bacon on English muffin and threw away the English muffin, all of it.
I have been thinking long and hard about staying on induction but ultimately have decided against it. I am happy with busting through the plateau and that will be my victory -- I wasn't expecting the "whoosh" that others experience, for a variety of reasons -- my age, and the meds I'm on, are two reasons. It's going to be slower. Which means I should try to make it more sustainable in the LONG long term. Which means making it easier to eat since I eat two of my meals a day at my desk! So I'll try introducing other foods to make for more variety and ease.
I've exercised twice since starting induction, and I feel better, though I need to take it very slowly, or I will injure myself and be back to square one. Ten minutes on the treadmill every two days with a goal of going up to 15 within a month or so.
I've been having some thoughts on "cheating". Is it better to build in a small cheat once in a while, or not? I have done well not cheating thus far but I don't think I want to go down that route, it would be too easy to over do it. I don't know, though. Better to cheat once in a while and stay on the plan generally than to not cheat and then just boom, fall off the wagon. I guess I should keep a 'cheat' as a kind of last resort. So if I do cheat, it doesn't mean I'm no longer on the plan. But right now I have zero desire to cheat -- in fact, I took my daughter to McDonalds and didn't order anything for myself or eat any of hers! Not even a bite!! The thought of that number on the scale is going to keep me going for a bit.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Losing and in Phase II!

I went into Phase II over the weekend. Today I just celebrated by having a tablespoon of nuts as a snack at work. Wow they tasted good! I put the portion in a baggie so no fear of overeating and DH has them 'secured' at home so I can't get at them there!! I have now lost four pounds which is so good for me, previously the scale hadn't budged so any weight lost is a good thing. And the scale showed me this morning I am still losing.
What has been working for me:
1. Not eating the Atkins bars or candies, at all. Too easy for me to gorge on them.
2. Drinking a shake right before I go to sleep. I got that tip from someone here on the forum! It puts a little bit in my stomach and that is enough to settle me down to go to sleep.
3. Eating protein every time I eat -- smoked salmon slices (I am in Alaska, after all!), boiled eggs, I even have eaten a leftover hamburger patty for breakfast!
4. Almost completely eliminating sugar.
5. Not taking on a huge exercise program as well. That would put me on overload and I'd just give up on everything, thinking it's too much to do.
But still trying to move a little more every day.
6. Learning to order things even though I might not eat part of them or even throw some of it away -- like today I had bit of smoked salmon quiche for breakfast but didn't eat any of the crust. We had pizza the other night and I scraped all the filling off and ate that. DH thought I was nuts!
7. Learning to plan. That's the hardest part of this, but with Atkins you have so many choices as to what to eat, you can figure it out even if you buy something at a restaurant.

What am I not doing right? Not eating enough foundation veggies, I think. And I am still concerned because I do have high cholesterol issues, about some of the animal fats I have been eating. But that's just a feeling because I have no numbers to back it up with. However, now that I am cleared to eat nuts and eventually some legumes, maybe I can eat more of those kinds of things for protein and ease back on the animal fats (while still avoiding high carbs and starches). I need to look up what Atkins says about what percentage of protein I should be getting from animal fats...I want this to be long term...
Old 07-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Effect of stress

For a number of reasons I am stressing big time. Finals are due for one thing and work has ramped up as well. The strange thing is, for me, when I'm stressed I don't eat. So I've had zero appetite for two days now. And it's going to continue the rest of this week, and THEN I go on vacation. That's when I expect the rebound effect to kick in. after finals, and after I've been able to relax a few days -- then I'll just want to eat everything in sight.

I am trying hard to eat even though I don't want to, and to keep my protein up, but all I want is cup of coffee every few hours. That's fine, (part of me says "I'll take weight loss any way it comes!") but I know this yo-yoing isn't very good for me.

My weight has been steady for three days so I havent' lost any more. I did add nuts yesterday and the day before, and I didn't gain anything so that's a good sign. I know the program says to add in foods one at a time, so I need to see what the next thing is I can add in. Maybe yoghurt, or cottage cheese?

If I had the time I would try to figure out how to eat properly while on vacation. that's another big pitfall for me. I'm in vacation mode! I should have that cream cheese Danish! Sigh. But that never works for me. Because it would be one or two, every day for five days. And then I'd keep going!

Anyway, I don't have the time now to think about it. I will say, I can't wait to get done with everything I have to do and just SLEEP. Then when I wake up I'll be on vacation and can figure out what to eat next to keep on the program.