Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coldinalaska
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12 2014
ColdinAlaska weight loss journal

I am in Day 3 of Induction...and needing a little boost, so I thought I'd join this site where I see there are many wonderful people who are dealing with issues just as I am.
I'm 53 years old and on Friday I had to go somewhere and nothing I had fit me. and we went to the store, and nothing THEY had looked good, and I saw myself in the fitting room mirror and I just cringed. Who was that person? It wasn't me! I thought about not going (it was to a bridal shower) but then I thought "that's it, the last straw". I could go over all the other things that led up to this -- a lady at a dress store telling me that I was 'large', feeling embarrassed to get into my bathing suit -- but it would just depress me. And I want to DO something about it.
And what makes me so unhappy is that the clothes I had were from just four years ago. How can I have gained so much weight in four years that my clothes no longer fit??

I guess there's lots of reasons. The coffee shop downstairs where I buy my breakfast pastries is one. The sandwich shop where I get lunch (with fries) is another! Clearly I had to put a stop to it!
So I started Induction on Saturday. It's been really hard to figure out how to do this on my work schedule, though. It takes planning, and then sticking to the plan. It takes packing a food sack the night before. I can eat the contents of the food sack anytime I am at work. Once it's gone, I can't go get more food. From my food sack today, here's what I ate:
Breakfast: cup of chamomile tea at 800 am
2 pieces rolled up ham, three two-inch pieces of cut up celery and two broccoli florets at 930 am
Snack: Atkins daybreak shake at 1030
Lunch: Left over bbq rib (no sauce) and 1/4 sliced red pepper; 8 oz sparkling water at 1230 pm

I still have string cheese and another 1/4 red pepper in my food sack but I'm not hungry. Odd, as it's almost 3 and usually I'm starving by then!
When I get home, the next challenge will be what to eat. It's ALWAYS a challenge, as we don't do well at cooking and planning with both my DH and I working -- we usually pick up takeout.
So I've stuck with the plan for three days now, no real desire to cheat -- but I've done no exercise other than a few walks with DH. I think that may be the other ingredient I need.
So my goals for this week: plan each day's food sack the night before AND plan that day's dinner; ten minutes on the treadmill in the evening three days this week.
coldinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
sounds like a great plan ! I take lots of food from home to work too.... that way I won't eat the crap everyone else is eating !

Good luck and post often. Lots of great advice and wisdom here on LCF's !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Day 5 of Induction

I had my first formal "visitor" to this journal, thank you Shelby'snana! You were so kind to reply! And may I just tell you, you have the prettiest smile?

Ugh, yesterday was hard, but not really foodwise...just the usual monthly ills, which are so much worse as I get older. Migraine headache, cramps, just misery. I stayed home in the a.m. but in the afternoon there was something I HAD to do at work so went in for two hours. Then went home and took big painkillers they give me. I would love it if losing weight would help with these horrible headaches. If I take the pain pills, I can't work or drive, and if the headache gets too bad, I have to take them.
Needless to say, no exercise. But I ate okay, I did my carb count and did fine...except...I succumbed to temptation and bought a box of "Endulge" bars, the coconut chocolate kind. They taste just like Mounds candy bars! That's a problem. I had TWO of them yesterday and could easily have eaten the whole box. I think I can't buy them. I cannot 'endulge', as it were. I have a huge sweet tooth but the day break shake or the chocolate shake will help with that.
I'd actually like to stay off even the Atkins prepared foods, but I'm okay with the shakes. I think the Endulge is TOO indulgent!
Today I'm busy at work getting ready for a meeting in Fairbanks tomorrow so I'm hoping the day will fly by and I'm well stocked today with lunch meat, cheese, half a red pepper and some sugar snap peas. For tonight there is still half a rotisserie chicken, but if I have the energy I bought some hamburger meat I thought I'd cook up with spices and cauliflower. I THINK cauliflower is allowed in Phase I but I will check. I also bought a whole jicama. I've never prepared one before though have eaten it in salads. I need to check on that too. I should have gone to the store with the list of foods. I'll have to copy them down (our printer is broken) for next time.
DH was so funny about the jicama. I put it at my place at the table because I wanted him to see it, but I was upstairs watching TV when he got home. He grabbed it and shouted to DD, "Look! Your mom has turned into this turnip thing!"
Tomorrow's struggle is already apparent: how do I do this while traveling? Somethng else to research!!
Old 07-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Still on the plan!

So the trip to Fairbanks was a good way for me to see how I can try to stay on plan while traveling. I packed one shake and two bars, except then I realized on the way to the airport, that I wouldnt' be able to take the shake through because I just had my carryon. So I drank it before getting through security, about 7 am.
Then I had tons more time before my plane so I had eggs and bacon, the eggs were great, the bacon only so-so. That kept me full till about 1230, right before the meeting. The others went out for lunch but I stayed behind to prep, and I ate one of the meal bars then. Then the meeting -- my presentation went okay, I thought -- and then right back on the plane.

On the plane I had a temptation -- they were offering free beer or wine. The thought of a glass of wine sounded SO good, I was tired and achy from dragging all my presentation materials with me...but I thought about how I'd feel disappointed that I hadn't stuck to the program after all. So I smiled and said I was fine, didn't want anything thank you.

At the airport, DH texted me that he would be late, so I waited about 40 minutes. I told him it was fine, I had work to do so I sat and made notes in the airport but then I felt like I was hungry again so I ate the other meal bar. Then DH picked me up and we picked up burgers from Red Robin. I had a guacamole bacon burger, I ate half the burger (no bun or fries of course) and then, because I HAD had a hard day, I had an Endulge coconut chocolate bar right before bed.
I am used to eating something right before I go to bed on the excuse that it helps settle all the pills I take then. Except it's usually been a bowl or three of cereal. I don't know if I should build that routine of eating with my pills into the plan, or try to stop that entirely??

So yesterdays food tally was: Early AM: Atkins Daybreak Shake
Breakfast: One egg, 1 slice bacon
Lunch: Atkins meal bar
Snack: Atkins meal bar
Dinner: Bunless hamburger with guacamole
and cole slaw
Snack: Endulge candy bar

Looking over this, I dont' think I'm eating enough, if that makes sense. I am going to have to work on that. I know I should be getting 25 g of carbs but that's six cups of veggies and that's a LOT of veggies! Which of course were conspicuously absent in yesterday's diet. I will say that I was very, very stressed yesterday getting ready for the presentation so that took away my appetite. I truly wasn't that hungry.
Because it was a one day trip, I could have packed celery sticks and cheese as well. I just ran out of time. But it was a good day to see how I could try at least to stick with the plan.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Day 10 of Induction Phase! I had HUGE cravings yesterday and succumbed with a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter. Oddly enough I wanted the peanut butter and not the cake which was right in plain sight.
No weight loss as yet but that's because I hadn't been exercising. I went for a couple of walks over the weekend with DH and did a couple of hours of gardening but that was about it. But over the weekend I had two 'aha' moments. First, I cannot do the Atkins bars or candies. I eat too many of them. But I want to keep the shakes, but only as my 'secret weapon' against night eating. So last night, right before I took all my meds, I drank a chocolate shake. Boom. Cravings conquered, tummy full, could sleep! That was the first 'aha'. (So from now on I ONLY drink a shake at night before I sleep, no shakes during the day. You're only allowed one a day, I think.) And two, I realized that I HAVE to start exercising or this fat won't shift! That's the secret ingredient.
But I don't like exercising. And I am never going to be one of those people who work out for an hour every day. It's just too hard and not enjoyable enough for me and quite honestly, I want to use my waking time when I'm not at work to do other things, like be with my family. So I just have to accept that a couple of times a week, I need to do it anyway! This morning I got up and did ten minutes on the treadmill. I'll work my way up to fifteen minutes but that's as much as I can do. I know the plan recommends thirty minutes every day but if I walk with DH and take the stairs at work, plus the fifteen minutes I should be in the right direction.
This is all hard -- the planning what to eat, the exercising, the cravings. I know it will be worth it though. Today's food prep was surprisingly easy. Half of yesterday's hamburger patty (no bun) and sliced red peppers, deli ham and raw green pea pods, two sticks of jalapeno string cheese and a bottle of sparkling water. That is what I've got to eat during the work day. There's still not enough veggies in there so I do need to fix that.
Can I just say that I'm tired of MEAT??? I could eat more fish, but that takes way more prep. Maybe tonight I'll make salmon patties with cauliflower, though. I think I might be tired, though, as I haven't exercised in months...
Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Day 11 of Induction. Things I will enjoy once I move into Phase II: Cottage cheese and nuts! And maybe cantaloupe. I don't really like fruit, and so it hasn't been that much of a sacrifice to give it up. Other starches like potatoes and bread, and sweets, have been much, much harder. I would like to try to eat meat only once a day in Phase II and have nuts or cheese for the other meals and snacks to keep the protein going -- but it looks like I'll have to monitor them closely to see just how carb-sensitive I might be. I've never been much of a meat eater but my problem has been substituting empty carbs for protein...I can see how Atkins really is a way of approaching your 'eating' life! Even when I get to Phase III I can see how I could be doing things differently from before!

I am sore from my tiny bit of exercise but that's good, right? It means my muscles are being worked out. I didn't do any exercise this morning but am going to try it tonight -- the other issue I have with night eating is that I have restless leg syndrome which results in me getting up and eating after everyone is asleep. The Atkins shake right before bedtime has helped with the cravings, but the urge to get up is still there because my legs get so uncomfortable. I sometimes have to sleep with a heavy book on my legs to get them to be still! I heard that exercising before bedtime might help them so maybe a few minutes on the treadmill right before I drink my shake and take my pills might help. Ugh, it's always something!
But -- still staying on plan. Yesterday DH showed up to take me out for lunch and I had a yummy salad with bacon bits. Then takeout meatloaf and green beans for supper. Down two pounds this morning so that's the right direction! But I wont' be in induction for more than two weeks, I think I can manage okay in Phase II. The question is: how long in Phase II? That seems more flexible than the two weeks in induction (though I know I can stay in induction more than that.) I figure I'll give Phase II two weeks as well and see how that goes...
Today I brought leftover meatloaf and green beans for "breakfast" and sliced ham and celery and two sticks of jalapeno cheese for the rest of the day. I do get more hungry at three oclock than any other time, I've noticed. I wonder why? So I've started trying to drink a cup of chamomile tea about 230 to stave it off.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Day 12, and I am two days away from finishing the induction phase. Even better: I broke my plateau weight this morning -- only a pound below where I was plateauing but it was lovely to see that number on the scale! And a good day for it too -- I didn't get much sleep last night and I am dragging this morning, just when I would be most likely to cave and get something sugary and high carb. Instead, I picked up an egg and bacon on English muffin and threw away the English muffin, all of it.
I have been thinking long and hard about staying on induction but ultimately have decided against it. I am happy with busting through the plateau and that will be my victory -- I wasn't expecting the "whoosh" that others experience, for a variety of reasons -- my age, and the meds I'm on, are two reasons. It's going to be slower. Which means I should try to make it more sustainable in the LONG long term. Which means making it easier to eat since I eat two of my meals a day at my desk! So I'll try introducing other foods to make for more variety and ease.
I've exercised twice since starting induction, and I feel better, though I need to take it very slowly, or I will injure myself and be back to square one. Ten minutes on the treadmill every two days with a goal of going up to 15 within a month or so.
I've been having some thoughts on "cheating". Is it better to build in a small cheat once in a while, or not? I have done well not cheating thus far but I don't think I want to go down that route, it would be too easy to over do it. I don't know, though. Better to cheat once in a while and stay on the plan generally than to not cheat and then just boom, fall off the wagon. I guess I should keep a 'cheat' as a kind of last resort. So if I do cheat, it doesn't mean I'm no longer on the plan. But right now I have zero desire to cheat -- in fact, I took my daughter to McDonalds and didn't order anything for myself or eat any of hers! Not even a bite!! The thought of that number on the scale is going to keep me going for a bit.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Losing and in Phase II!

I went into Phase II over the weekend. Today I just celebrated by having a tablespoon of nuts as a snack at work. Wow they tasted good! I put the portion in a baggie so no fear of overeating and DH has them 'secured' at home so I can't get at them there!! I have now lost four pounds which is so good for me, previously the scale hadn't budged so any weight lost is a good thing. And the scale showed me this morning I am still losing.
What has been working for me:
1. Not eating the Atkins bars or candies, at all. Too easy for me to gorge on them.
2. Drinking a shake right before I go to sleep. I got that tip from someone here on the forum! It puts a little bit in my stomach and that is enough to settle me down to go to sleep.
3. Eating protein every time I eat -- smoked salmon slices (I am in Alaska, after all!), boiled eggs, I even have eaten a leftover hamburger patty for breakfast!
4. Almost completely eliminating sugar.
5. Not taking on a huge exercise program as well. That would put me on overload and I'd just give up on everything, thinking it's too much to do.
But still trying to move a little more every day.
6. Learning to order things even though I might not eat part of them or even throw some of it away -- like today I had bit of smoked salmon quiche for breakfast but didn't eat any of the crust. We had pizza the other night and I scraped all the filling off and ate that. DH thought I was nuts!
7. Learning to plan. That's the hardest part of this, but with Atkins you have so many choices as to what to eat, you can figure it out even if you buy something at a restaurant.

What am I not doing right? Not eating enough foundation veggies, I think. And I am still concerned because I do have high cholesterol issues, about some of the animal fats I have been eating. But that's just a feeling because I have no numbers to back it up with. However, now that I am cleared to eat nuts and eventually some legumes, maybe I can eat more of those kinds of things for protein and ease back on the animal fats (while still avoiding high carbs and starches). I need to look up what Atkins says about what percentage of protein I should be getting from animal fats...I want this to be long term...
Old 07-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Effect of stress

For a number of reasons I am stressing big time. Finals are due for one thing and work has ramped up as well. The strange thing is, for me, when I'm stressed I don't eat. So I've had zero appetite for two days now. And it's going to continue the rest of this week, and THEN I go on vacation. That's when I expect the rebound effect to kick in. after finals, and after I've been able to relax a few days -- then I'll just want to eat everything in sight.

I am trying hard to eat even though I don't want to, and to keep my protein up, but all I want is cup of coffee every few hours. That's fine, (part of me says "I'll take weight loss any way it comes!") but I know this yo-yoing isn't very good for me.

My weight has been steady for three days so I havent' lost any more. I did add nuts yesterday and the day before, and I didn't gain anything so that's a good sign. I know the program says to add in foods one at a time, so I need to see what the next thing is I can add in. Maybe yoghurt, or cottage cheese?

If I had the time I would try to figure out how to eat properly while on vacation. that's another big pitfall for me. I'm in vacation mode! I should have that cream cheese Danish! Sigh. But that never works for me. Because it would be one or two, every day for five days. And then I'd keep going!

Anyway, I don't have the time now to think about it. I will say, I can't wait to get done with everything I have to do and just SLEEP. Then when I wake up I'll be on vacation and can figure out what to eat next to keep on the program.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rl2b
Stats: 329.5/283/175
WOE: Medi/moderate protein
Start Date: 04/27/2014
Hi coldinalaska! Your username intrigued me enough to want to read you journal - I hope you don't mind. Good for you for getting through the two weeks of induction. I am not doing the same plan but can certainly understand the struggle of planning, cooking, and just new overall choices. Are you allowed to eat salads now? I eat one every single day (lettuce is free for me) and can honestly say I enjoy them so much. I look forward to tuna mixed with dill pickle relish and a hard-boiled egg. Anyway, I just wanted to say hang in there, spend some time catching up on sleep and really take some time to make a plan. You can do this - you are worth it!! Roseanne
rl2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Finals are over, and so is my vacation. I was totally surprised when I weighed myself to find I hadn't gained too much back in a week and a half! But I'm back in Alaska and back to the real world and now continuing with Phase II. I got a nice note from rl2b, above, which was encouraging -- thank you!! This morning I picked up a yogurt and berry parfait for breakfast and a coffee with half and half. Both are things I can eat or drink. So that's good. I am still struggling mightily with enough veggies, though. I wish I liked salads like rl2b! You can ALWAYS eat what they call 'foundation vegetables' on Atkins, so they are like free food, but I only really like sweet red peppers, sugar pea pods, and sometimes raw broccoli florets.
Wait...I just remembered that jicama I bought before I went on vacation. It must be still in the crisper! I hope it's still good. That's another thing to try. So the next few days I need to plan out how to really do Phase II well. More fresh veggies, hard boiled eggs, and of course lots of fresh salmon and halibut.
In the meantime, it's that time of the month and I feel AWFUL. Throbbing migraine, cramps and just wishing I was in a cave! The good news: I am not hungry. The bad news: it hurts to see light and it never gets dark this time of year! Last night when I got home I just put a pillow on top of my head and waited for the meds to kick in. And of course, I just cannot exercise when my head hurts so badly. Tell me again how wonderful and rewarding it is to be a woman? I am kidding of course, I love being a wife and mother. I do wish that time of the month didn't just knock me flat, though. I can just about make it through the work day, and then I crawl into bed as soon as I get home. Ugh!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Feeling Rotten

This is going to be a vent about my time of the month issues, so everyone is forewarned! As I have been getting older, it's been getting worse and worse and now it's just awful and I don't know what to do about it. I get a four day migraine headache that is unbearable, and heavy cramps and I'm just miserable. The headache is the worst part. The only thing that works are pain meds that make me unable to drive or work. Yesterday I made it through the work day but had to get DH to come drive me home. I left my car at work and it's still there because today I called in sick, I couldn't even get up. Right now the pain pill has worn off so it's hurting again but I don't want to take another one because they are dangerously addictive. I don't know what to do. The doctors have tried all kinds of migraine meds and so far none of them has worked. A couple of times I've even had to go into the ER to get a shot for the pain.

I'm worried about how many sick days I take because of the headaches. I try to get through the day and then go home and crawl into bed, but I've ended up taking a day or half day off for migraines every couple of months. I've only had this job for a year and I don't want them to think I am a problem child. It's got so I am thankful when the migraine period comes during a weekend so I don't lose any time at work!

The doctors say that it's normal for women right before menopause to have really bad periods, but I'm almost 54, when will it stop? The headaches and cramps are getting worse! I never was able to tolerate birth control pills so I can't take those, either.

Today my lovely daughter was home, though, and she took such good care of me, got me cups of tea, and a bowl of soup. The pills really dehyrdrate you so she is making sure I drink enough. Tomorrow is my day off work, so I can stay in bed if it's still on-going and I had no meetings at work today so I won't miss anything but still I hated calling in sick yet again. I feel like I'm on thin ice. And at some point I guess I have to figure out how to go retrieve my car! As for eating right...I can't do it. I had the soup she brought me but also a couple of digestive biscuits, I figured I'd need somethingi n my stomach to keep the pain pill down. Now I feel bad about eating them. Hopefully this headache will go away SOON and I can get back on track, but right now I can't even get up. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
my headaches improved GREATLY after my hysterectomy 4 yrs ago - told them to take it ALL out !!
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

FINALLY over that horrible headache. It was six days long. Time to go back to the doctor and tell her that I can't go on with these types of headaches. Maybe she can suggest something. It's very tempting to think about a total hysterectomy. I wonder if they would do it? But for now, I'm glad to be pain free. Another good thing -- it's starting to get dark at night! It's wonderful, I wake up about midnight and it's blissful, peaceful, DARK. Now, I know I'll be complaining about the dark in oh, two months, when it's dark at 4pm, but for now, I am enjoying it.
I spent the weekend when I wasn't lying down, researching non-meat options for the Atkins plan. We have access to wonderful fish here, but to me, fish takes more prep time than hamburger or steak. I did fry up a lot of sole and then I froze the leftovers in packets of one or two pieces -- perfect for lunches/breakfasts for me. I have made a vow to have fish three times a week now, and one meatless meal on top of that. Because DH and our daughter are NOT doing Atkins, they end up eating All The Meat and all the carbs and I'd rather they ate fish than meat if they're going to do that.
Today I have a yogurt parfait (yogurt and berries) for breakfast and a piece of fried sole and some celery and cherries for the rest of the day. I think DH bought some nice scallops for dinner. They are lovely, but pricey, so we only have them as a rare treat.
But now that I'm back on my feet, I can try to plan a little exercise. It's been a month since I started Atkins but I still haven't managed to get any exercise in! But -- baby steps. One thing I learned from this website is that you can't change too much at a time. And that's all right. I just need to go at the pace I go at. On the other hand, sometimes you just have to get up off your butt and do the thing. I guess I am at that point -- or near to it! Funny story about reading Shelby'snana's post -- I misread her quote as saying "If you're tired of starting over, then QUIT shopping!" My instant reaction was WHAT? I can't give up shopping! That's over the line! That is TOO FAR! Then I re-read it..."oh. all right then." Note to self: read slower.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Still able to eat on plan. Last night DH bought cod and I made fish tacos, which he raved about. I sprinkled fajita mix from a packet on chunks of cod and pan fried them very quickly, then served with fried onions and peppers, salsa and sour cream. I didn't have them in a tortilla but DH did. Today I had leftover sole and celery sticks for my lunch.
No exercise. Last night I took a sleeping pill, I don't even know why, I am sure I could have slept okay, but this morning I slept in so I couldn't exercise and then when I went to get coffee, one of the bigwigs said "You look like you're moving slowly today." Oops. I put on a big smile and said 'Just need that coffee!" I HATE when people notice things about me.
In two hours I will take my lunch hour and go to a doctor's appt with DH. Five years ago they diagnosed him with an aneurysm of the heart. His docs say it has not grown or changed since then. What really gets me is they say he is fine to do just about any kind of physical activity except for weightlifting! So he goes out there and blows snow with the snowblower, and changes our snow tires, and does all this stuff because the "doctor didn't say I couldn't." I don't think he knows how much fear I really live in...anyway, his doctor retired so we are going to talk to his new doctor. But of course this is even more reason to help him lose weight, and to be in good shape myself. He knows that, and hopefully his new doctor will talk to us about what he can and cannot do. There is no treatment for it unless it gets worse, so mostly they tell us to come back for regular MRI scans to check on it. I try to put it out of my head most of the time but obviously last night I wasn't, the stupid sleeping pill gave me bad dreams on top of everything else -- I dreamed I was calling and calling him and he wasn't answering and part of me knew he wasn't going to answer the phone, ever. It was horrible. This is one of those things I have to bury deep down and not let come to the surface, this fear. He gets upset if he sees that I'm upset or worried about it so I just have to act like it's just another doctor's appointment. Then I'll still have a couple of hours at work when I get back from the appointment, and I do have some projects to work on so that will give my mind something else to think about...
Old 08-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rl2b
Stats: 329.5/283/175
WOE: Medi/moderate protein
Start Date: 04/27/2014
Hi cold! You survived finals and that terrible headache. Geez, I am sorry you have to deal with those every few weeks. I assume you are seeing a doctor for them, but whatever you have as a prescription sure doesn't seem to work. I was going to ask which city you are in, but I see in your info it says Anchorage. I visited there last year - what a lovely city. I am thinking strongly about buying a quilt store (one is for sale in Ketchikan, but the current owner hasn't answered my email request) but am not sure I could handle the winter even though I've lived in Wisconsin most of my life. Anyway . . . I hope all goes well with the new doctor for DH. That is not the kind of stress you need, and your dream sounds like a terrifying nightmare. Perhaps you could mention it to the new doctor and he can kind of ease your mind while discussing what things your husband can/can't do? Your fish tacos sound delicious! Hang in there and I'm pulling for you!
rl2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Cold (high 50s)and pouring rain today, but things are better. Such a kind note from rl2b, thank you! People on this forum are so nice. And the doctor was very reassuring. He said the aneurysm hadn't grown at all, and he wasn't so sure it WAS an aneurysm, maybe DH is just "built that way" and then he patted me on the shoulder and told DH, "she'll just have to find something else to worry about." And I asked him about all the things DH could do, and he said he could do all of them except deadlift weights. Which DH doesn't weightlift.
DH talked to me last night and told me that even if the worst happened, he was sure I would be able to keep going, that DD17 would need me, and that both of us needed to be strong enough to keep going without the other...he's right. But one of the things that I love about him is that he is absolutely fearless. I'm trying to be more like that.

My weight is steady since post-headache. It's good that I havent' gained any of it back. THough I might after today...I really am cheating, I'm eating oatmeal. Which is not allowed until Phase III. But the place near where I work makes incredibly good oatmeal with berries and brown sugar, it's really insanely expensive ($8.00) but I only eat about a quarter of it so it lasts for four work days. It's chilly out and I wanted something warm in my tummy. I Find that ATkins is helping me listen more to my body and what it wants. Sometimes it wants oatmeal.
RL2b, there are not a lot of craft stores in Alaska, as I am sure you found out. My GF here in Anchorage quilts and it's like a kind of pilgrimage to go to a craft store! I haven't been to Ketchikan yet, I only moved here three years ago (which is why I'm still always cold!) but I hear it's beautiful. I do travel for work so I'm hoping to get out there at some point. If I was going to open a store, it would either be a bead store or a yarn store. Or maybe both! I think I will probably stay in ALaska another ten years at the latest. By then DH and I would be 65ish and maybe we'd want to go somewhere warmer. Right now we both have good jobs and like it here. He retired from the military up here, and likes it but says we don't have to stay if it gets too much for me. So we'll see. YOu just never know! All we get is one day at a time, really!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

A new tweak!

I have done some more research based on something I read here, and I have a new outlook towards Atkins! It was a quote from someone named Michael Pollan, who I'd never heard of, posted on someone else's journal here, that caught my attention: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Well, I looked it up and found his NYT article and it really spoke to me. And I thought, well I could incorporate that into my Atkins WOE. Atkins is about eating real food, maybe not the emphasis on plants, but the healthy fats and the lower portions of carbs that are processed beyond recognition. So I like it. I also LOVED Pollan quoting Thomas Jefferson that meat should be viewed as more of a flavoring! It's true, I don't need very much protein to feel satiated and if I can pair it with lots of foundation vegetables, that's a very healthy way to eat, for me!
I am not losing any more weight, though, which means I need to cut down on the carbs which I had in fact allowed to sneak back into my diet. They dont' call it "carb creep" for nothing! It does, it just sneakily invades. You think "oh, this won't do any harm" and then the next thing you know you haven't lost an ounce. I read some helpful things online about trying to fix that as soon as you notice it.

So even oatmeal will be out till I can lose a little bit more. Back to basics! I got overexcited with the weight loss I did have, I think and thought I could just vault over Phase II into Phase III right away. Still 1) I didn't GAIN, and 2) it's a marathon not a sprint!

At work, I've got a big project I got assigned and it's to be presented next week. BUt poor DD17 came creeping into our bed last night with a fever, she must have come down with something. I got her Tylenol and ginger ale, but I was thinking even then, "I hope I get sick THIS weekend if I have to be sick and not next week because I have that presentation to do." I just called her and she's feeling better, she says, no fever as far as she knows. AS for me, I feel a bit ticklish in my throat so I am hoping I will come down with it soon! I always get everything she gets, so I just want the timing to work out. I have five days in which to come down with it, get sick, and get better! I know ,that's weird!
Old 08-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Adventures in Eating

A new discovery yesterday. I went with DD17 to enroll her in a University course as she is eligible for it. She had saved half her lunch for me and it was a bacon and avocado spinach wrap BUT it came with a handful of potato chips. Of course I scarfed it down while we were driving including those chips. An hour after, I got the worse, double-over-in-pain stomach cramps! Those greasy stale chips...yuck! I couldnt' even eat any dinner, this morning I'm better but considering my ideal lunch used to be a bag of BBQ chips and a can of Coke, I can hardly believe it! Then I thought "Am I really respecting my body putting chemicals, grease and salt in it? Don't I deserve better?" I think the cramps were telling me I DO deserve better! I should listen to myself!
The scale is stuck, though...will spend this weekend working on getting it to move -- in the right direction.
Also I am already dreading DD17 leaving for University for real next year...I only have a year left with her in the house. I can't bear that thought! But I am already taking one online college course, I thought maybe when she leaves I can take two and that will keep me busy and focused. It's when I have too much time that things go bad...though with a full time job and a house to take care of, you would think I wouldn't have that much time on my hands. And yet I do sometimes. DH says we can travel and that will be great. But I'll miss her fiercely no matter what.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Back on Plan!

I was gone last week organizing a training course and presenting at the same course - a lot of stress, so I wasn't eating regularly or even well. However, I did not gain. I haven't lost, but even just not gaining is a good thing. Especially because this weekend I went to the Alaska State Fair. I decided I would not deny myself my favorite things so I did eat what I wanted and it was all great, and so I was more than happy when I weighed myself this morning and it was just the same weight as last week!

But as the title says, I am back on plan. Ate grilled salmon and zucchini for lunch/breakfast, and have a jalapeno cheese stick, three celery stalks and a bottle of sparkling water to get me through the afternoon. Dinner tonight might be problematic, as I have to pick up DD17, and DH suggested taking her to McDonalds for dinner on the way back as she will be hungry by then. I can always eat a salad with chicken in it, I think, from them.

Still haven't started the exercise piece to this yet. It's hard to get moving on it! Iget home, I've got the house to clean, the family to take care of, school stuff to do...but I really do have to start. I got some walks in with DH over the weekend and we walked A LOT at the fair, but it has to be regular or it won't help. Hopefully being back on plan will help with that! Not giving up just yet!!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Colder in Alaska!

I think I am coming down with something. I sneezed a bunch of times this morning and I am FREEZING. The sun is (sort of) out but it was about 45 degrees this morning and I havent' been out of the office yet today. I just can't seem to get warm. And I was so low energy last night...I came home with DD17, changed into sweats, a sweater and socks and crawled into bed with an extra blanket at about 8 pm!! Of course when DH came to bed eventually (and he's got a sore throat, so I think we really are all getting sick), the cat got right up on top of him when I really wanted the cat for warmth. DH even picked him up and put him on me...and he promptly walked right over to DH's side of the bed and curled up where he had been originally. Cats.
Someone on this board used the term "Diet Fatigue" and that's how I feel too. Staying on plan seems like so much effort... EVERYTHING seems like so much effort! But I have lunch with a friend scheduled and I think I can order something pretty easily on plan, a hamburger without a bun and salad, and maybe that will perk me up, cause right now I am just dragging!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

The Scale is STUCK

I cannot get off this weight! It's been over two weeks now and that darn needle is NAILED to the same weight on the scale. But, it has to be at least a month before the P word (Plateau) can be mentioned I guess!
The weird thing is that I haven't felt very well the past couple of days, I think I"m coming down with a cold, and I haven't had much appetite. And yet still the needle stays the same! We'll see after today -- I may need to eat MORE, not less, from what I've read. I don't want my body go into starvation mode and hang on to every calorie for life! Still sticking to (mostly) eating on plan.
And it's the long weekend coming up! It is supposed to be cold and rainy all weekend, but I've found a new afghan I want to knit. I always want to knit when the weather is bad!
Have you ever wondered if you had a shopping addiction? I have wondered that about myself. I spent a lot of money over the past two weeks, and I know I did it because I wanted to feel good about myself: a necklace, a hat, two scarves, a new outfit for work, new shoes for work, and a new fleece jacket. And now I feel bad about spending the money. Did I really NEED those things? Or did I just need the 'rush' of buying them? I know it's not that bad for me -- because I think it only happens once in a while, I go months without buying something -- but the bad feelings I get are strong enough that it makes me wonder about it. Of course, I"m like that with eating too, not knowing what is enough and what isn't. And I also wonder if the shopping is connected to the efforts I'm making to lose weight and when it's not successful I try to make up for it some other way? Ugh. What a mess. And now I'm almost afraid of that new outfit for work arriving in the mail because what if it doesn't fit? Actually, that might be a blessing, I can send it back with a clear conscience!! I told DH all about everything last night (I hadn't been keeping it from him, I told him as I spent the money but when I added it up it seemed like a lot) and he said "You can spend money on yourself if you want; we have it to spend. But just make sure you are not spending it mindlessly." I think that's great advice. I know before he buys a new guitar he will spend DAYS thinking about it. So I'll try to be more "mindful" about things I guess.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Still Under the Weather

Ugh, both DH and I seem to have some kind of bug...we aren't getting better but we aren't getting worse. I am so low energy it took all I had to drag myself to work today and I am just staring at papers thinking I should do something about something but can't feel the energy to do anything! Good thing it's slow at work. But just one more day and it's a long weekend. DH was going shopping so I asked him to pick up beef so I can make a nice, homey stew. The weather continues chilly and rainy so it's the perfect thing to eat. He and DD17 will have theirs with mashed or boiled potatoes, I'll just eat the meat and the broth but not the carrots. And maybe a big helping of green beans. Had to laugh when I weighed myself this morning, I ate almost nothing yesterday and I still weighed exactly the same as I have for the past two weeks. How is that even possible?!

But we are really in fall weather here. In about two weeks, I'll have to put a load of mulch down on my garden and tell it goodnight until spring! But, this winter I can plan out how I'm going to grow vegetables. It will be fun researching what grows well here in our super-short growing season, and of course figuring out which of those we like to eat. Then will come the real challenge: moose-proofing whatever garden I do put in!!
Old 08-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Be Careful What you Wish For!

I wished the scale would move, and it has...in the wrong direction. Groan. But there are also those unmistakeable signs that it's that time of the month -- like the fact that I'm cramping really badly right now. Great -- just in time for a holiday weekend. Well, better than if I was swamped at work, I guess!
So I won't be too upset about the scale. My time of the month is so bad I always just have to try to ride it out the best I can. And I'm out of meds for my headache so it's going to be rough if one hits over the weekend. I meant to call my doctor after last month and the time just got away from me, and they won't give me those pills without an appointment, and they wont' give me refills either. I understand why even though it's kind of a pain.
Yesterday I made fried ham and eggs for supper so that was on plan and no problem. The problem was the slip up I had involving half a bowl of Kettle Corn. So it's no wonder the scale is up...not gonna beat myself up, though, just going to move on.
I just got handed a big project at work! It will take me all October and part of November to complete. I am pretty excited about it and can't wait to dive into it on Monday when the person I need to talk to comes back.
It was rainy when I came in, not supposed to get above the low 60s, but now it looks like the sun has come out so I bet it's a bit warmer than that. It would be nice if it was good weather this weekend, it's the last weekend of the State Fair. Always more fun for folks to go in good weather.
Half an hour and then I take a conference call at work -- that will fill in the rest of the afternoon for me. It's already like a ghost town in the office. Happy Labor Day weekend, everyone!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

All Bets are Off For Now

I have temporarily given up. I have a migraine headache, cramps, a heavy period, a sore throat and blocked ears. Yesterday I spent the day off in a darkened room. Today the headache is better but I am so flu-ish! The good news is I am losing my sense of taste, which means I will be less hungry for a while anyway.
But it's a short week, so I can slog through this at work if it doesnt' get worse. Just now I had a cup of coffee and three quarters of a muffin I didn't want and couldnt' really taste. Yesterday I had rice pudding. And tea and toast. As I said, I'm putting the WOE on hold for now. Too much else going on for the next few days. Not even going to weigh myself till this is done and I feel human again!
Started knitting an afghan over the weekend. It's a nice easy pattern so I can pick it up and put it down without having to figure a lot of things all over again. It's that kind of weather. Even the most die-hard summer fanatic has to admit that it is looking like fall here. DH saw geese flying by in a long line. They know!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Recovered!

Well, that really was an EPIC head cold. I was sick for almost 8 days! I only called in sick for two days, then the rest of the time was my day off and all the weekend, and then I felt well enough to struggle back in to work. It was only really bad for about three days when I was running a fever. But I'm still kind of sinus-y and can't smell/taste that much. So far, though, neither DH nor DD17 got it, which is a huge blessing!
I did weigh myself when I finally was able to get up out of bed, and I had that woosh I was looking for, of course -- but I hadn't eaten or even drank much in three days! I will gain most of it back soon enough. However, I still am not that hungry and I am hoping my stomach got smaller during the time I wasn't eating (I mean on the inside -- it definitely hasn't on the outside!) and so I will need to eat less. The trick is not to get my stomach used to bigger meals now that I'm better.
But today I did well, eating on plan, I had a really yummy piece of meatloaf and a salad from the cafe down the street. It's just about time to go home and I'm wondering what to pick up for dinner, DH is at the gym tonight. There's a new store called Natural Pantry that opened up in Anchorage recently. I mght swing by there and see if they have anything premade for dinner. I'm feeling pretty good about getting back on track. And it will only get better! Feeling very positive about it!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Heading the right direction

I still feel slightly stuffed up but if all is well, I can try to hit the treadmill tomorrow morning! Today I ate well: took DD17 out for lunch (had to drive her somewhere) and ate a quarter of a hamburger, no bun, and about half a green salad, no dressing. I will NEVER learn to like salad, I fear. It just feels like eating...nothing. But I get that it is very good for me, and I need to eat more greens! I never will like tomatoes, though. Tonight there are leftover lamb chops for supper and maybe some green beans.
Rain, rain and more rain! I think they said it would clear up a bit tomorrow, and that would be very welcome. It's not cold at all, but it has been raining a lot. My poor garden is getting water logged.
I am going to try to hold onto the 'woosh' I got from being sick. I dont' know if that is even possible. If it was mostly water weight, than probably not. But a girl can dream, can't she? I would so much like for that scale not to creep upwards, though! And that alone may be the motivation to get back to exercising. The desire to see that lovely lower number.
The main issue is TIME. There just isn't time enough to do all the things I want to do when I am not working! There's hanging out with my DH and DD, there's crafting (beading and knitting and crocheting), there's school, and there's music. And library books. Oh, yes, and housework. ( Sad that that should come last, I wish I was a better housekeeper. I know DH would like it SO much better if the house weren't quite so untidy. Not dirty, just...cluttered.) But anyway, people DO fit exercise in. On this very board, there are some great examples! That's really why I come here, for the inspiration. But I think I just have to tell myself very firmly: if I want to see that number on the scale stay the same or even get lower I will need to find the time to exercise. Because I think I am doing well with the eating piece and I just need to take the next steop.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:44 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Cold, I am so glad you are feeling better. You sound great and really back on track. Here is one thing that will help you like salad better -- do you like any particular kind of salad dressing? Tony and I often make homemade dressings that are replicas of salad dressings we like from restaurants. For example, California Pizza Kitchen has a fabulous red wine vinaigrette, a nice herb ranch and a really good Dijon dressing too. It is so easy to make them at home -- super fast too -- and you can find great recipes online with carb counts. I find that when I love the dressing, I can eat salad until the end of time -- which prevents me from eating too much nuts, cheese and other "legal" foods on low carb. When we are pressed for time, we have a bottle Italian that we like.

I know it sounds crazy but these things make a difference in low carb dieting. Often it is the flavors we crave -- so if we can replicate good flavors in low carb foods, that helps. I hope you have a great day today!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

A Sunny Day

Nice message from Gail -- thank you!!

The rain's finally stopped! It's still cool enough for me to wear a light coat -- it was 46 degrees this morning but will get up to 60. I am seeing the last of the tourists downtown and I'm always so glad for them when the weather is good, they get to see the State at its best.
I haven't yet found a salad dressing I like, is that weird? So generally I don't eat anything but of course that doesn't help my lack of enjoyment of salad vegetables. i SHOULD try more and different salad dressings, that might help. I think I will take Gail's advice and browse online for them.
Today I just ate the other piece of hamburger from lunch with DD17, yesterday. It came with pickles. Does that count as greens?! I threw away the bun.
Next Tuesday night, I am going to take a trip to see my BFF who lives in Iowa. I am so excited. I am bringing my knitting for the plane rides and also some of my school stuff. She wrote to me and said she was getting whipped cream for my coffee and was there anything else I needed that I could eat? I told her I was saving all my carbs for wine with her! We write every day but I haven't seen her physically in about five years. It will be such a fun little trip. Also we can go shopping at places they dont' have in Alaska. I should bring a big empty suitcase! I don't actually need any new clothing but I would love to get a new raincoat, maybe a trench, and also another winter coat. I've decided that since I'm in Alaska (and always cold!) I should have a larger 'coat wardrobe' than I do, since I wear them most of the year! So cute coats would be good! Not necessary but nice.
I am still holding onto that "whoosh" I got from being sick but I am STILL kind of stuffed up! Yesterday I ended up not exercising because I made a bad decision and had a caramel macchiato from starbucks. Tons of sugar. Well, it made my stomach sooo upset it wasn't even funny. I got home and didn't even manage to eat any dinner though later on I had a piece of chicken. I used to be able to drink those things...and it was rainy fall weather, just perfect for that, I thought. I thought wrong!
Another eating challenge: DD17 is going to a dance on Saturday (homecoming) so DH asked if I'd like to go out for dinner with him. Very sweet of him. Both of us have been doing so well eating, he's lost about ten pounds just cutting out bread! -- but we do like going out to eat. Usually though we do the whole thing -- appetizers, entrees, and dessert. Maybe this time we'll split an appetizer and dessert. I think that will be my plan for the meal.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Friday plans

Not a great weekend predicted-- it's already rainy and very windy. Last night the cat accidentally hurt me -- he was on my lap and a door slammed from the wind and he just exploded! Left me with two nice scratches on my thighs (through my yoga pants!). I put antiseptic on them but they still hurt in the shower this morning. He didn't mean to hurt me at all, of course. He just reacted instinctively.
I had SUCH good intentions this morning about working out but then I got stuck on a problem for school and needed to get DH to explain it to me this morning instead, before we both went to work (he was already asleep when I got stuck). I have an exam scheduled for Monday. So: I will not be starting exercising till I get back from Iowa. I'll be gone from Wed-Sun so it doesn't make any sense to start only to stop!
Plans this weekend: make sure to eat on plan! I want to keep that "whoosh" and also I intend to fall off the plan when I go to Iowa (or at least not be incredibly strict) so I should make this weekend a good one. Also study for my Monday exam and also I have to get my hair done. It's almost ALL gray so the 'skunk stripe' is pretty visible, and I missed an appointment when I was sick. So those are all good indoor things to do on a rainy weekend. On a sadder note, I discovered my strawberry plants (I had about five of them in a pot, with almost-ripe berries) were cropped down to little stems! Stupid moose! DH told me I should put up wire netting but I never got around to it, it's hard to get the energy to build a security system for one little pot! But he was right. Grumble grumble. Well, I hope he (or she) enjoyed them.